[Csnd-dev] product opcode twice

joachim-3
hi -

i am just looking at the new array methods, and i see that we have now
two quite different opcodes which are both called "product":

ares product asig1, asig2 [, asig3] [...]
kres/ires product karr[]/iarr[]

should this same name for two quite different opcodes be better avoided?

best -
        joachim

best -
joachim

Re: [Csnd-dev] product opcode twice

gsenna
+1 for Opcode overloading when possible.

On 29/06/17 16:53, John ff wrote:

> Seems ok to me.  Both calculate a product
>
> ⁣Sent from TypeApp ​
>
> On 29 Jun 2017, 20:33, at 20:33, joachim heintz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> hi -
>>
>> i am just looking at the new array methods, and i see that we have now
>> two quite different opcodes which are both called "product":
>>
>> ares product asig1, asig2 [, asig3] [...]
>> kres/ires product karr[]/iarr[]
>>
>> should this same name for two quite different opcodes be better
>> avoided?
>>
>> best -
>> joachim

Re: [Csnd-dev] product opcode twice

Victor Lazzarini
yes, we tend to try and use overloading when we can

> On 29 Jun 2017, at 21:03, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 for Opcode overloading when possible.
>

>> On 29/06/17 16:53, John ff wrote:
>> Seems ok to me.  Both calculate a product
>>
>> ⁣Sent from TypeApp ​
>>
>>> On 29 Jun 2017, 20:33, at 20:33, joachim heintz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> hi -
>>>
>>> i am just looking at the new array methods, and i see that we have now
>>> two quite different opcodes which are both called "product":
>>>
>>> ares product asig1, asig2 [, asig3] [...]
>>> kres/ires product karr[]/iarr[]
>>>
>>> should this same name for two quite different opcodes be better
>>> avoided?
>>>
>>> best -
>>>    joachim

Re: [Csnd-dev] product opcode twice

joachim-3
ok, i know what you mean.

but should then there only one manual page?  this puzzled me: i tried to
understand how to use the new product for arrays, and got on the other
manual page for product (multiplying to audio signals).

or maybe a hint and link from one page to the other?

best -
        joachim

On 29/06/17 22:07, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> yes, we tend to try and use overloading when we can
>
> Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
>
>> On 29 Jun 2017, at 21:03, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1 for Opcode overloading when possible.
>>

>>> On 29/06/17 16:53, John ff wrote:
>>> Seems ok to me.  Both calculate a product
>>>
>>> ⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

Re: [Csnd-dev] product opcode twice

Victor Lazzarini
A single page is possibly the right thing to do.