[Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

12

[Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

Would it be possible to have in the score syntax where you can stop an indefinte named instrument by adding '-' before the instrument name?

Like

i "sound" 0 -1

i -"sound" 1 0

Does not work like that right now,

i -1 1 0 works as expected.

The full testing csd:

---

<CsoundSynthesizer>

<CsOptions>

-odac -d

</CsOptions>

<CsInstruments>

sr = 44100

ksmps = 32

nchnls = 2

0dbfs = 1

instr sound

out poscil(0.1,500)

ksec init 0

if (metro(1)==1) then

printk2 ksec

ksec += 1

endif

endin

</CsInstruments>

<CsScore>

f 0 5

i "sound" 0 -1

i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work

i -1 4 0 ; works

</CsScore>

</CsoundSynthesizer>

---

Should I file an issue?

Thanks!

tarmo

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

Victor Lazzarini
At the moment no, you can’t do that, as far as I know.

> On 29 Mar 2017, at 09:41, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to have in the score syntax where you can stop an indefinte named instrument by adding '-' before the instrument name?
>
> Like
>
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i  -"sound" 1 0
>
> Does not work like that right now,
>
> i -1 1 0 works as expected.
>
> The full testing csd:
>
> ---
> <CsoundSynthesizer>
> <CsOptions>
> -odac -d
> </CsOptions>
> <CsInstruments>
>
> sr = 44100
> ksmps = 32
> nchnls = 2
> 0dbfs = 1
>
> instr sound
> out poscil(0.1,500)
> ksec init 0
> if (metro(1)==1) then
> printk2 ksec
> ksec += 1
> endif
> endin
>
> </CsInstruments>
> <CsScore>
> f 0 5
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work
> i -1 4 0 ; works
>
> </CsScore>
> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>
> ---
>
> Should I file an issue?
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

Tarmo Johannes-3
John,
What do you think, is it easy to implement?
Of course this is not q high priority thing...
Tarmo

29.03.2017 13:04 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor Lazzarini" <[hidden email]>:
At the moment no, you can’t do that, as far as I know.

> On 29 Mar 2017, at 09:41, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to have in the score syntax where you can stop an indefinte named instrument by adding '-' before the instrument name?
>
> Like
>
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i  -"sound" 1 0
>
> Does not work like that right now,
>
> i -1 1 0 works as expected.
>
> The full testing csd:
>
> ---
> <CsoundSynthesizer>
> <CsOptions>
> -odac -d
> </CsOptions>
> <CsInstruments>
>
> sr = 44100
> ksmps = 32
> nchnls = 2
> 0dbfs = 1
>
> instr sound
>       out poscil(0.1,500)
>       ksec init 0
>       if (metro(1)==1) then
>               printk2 ksec
>               ksec += 1
>       endif
> endin
>
> </CsInstruments>
> <CsScore>
> f 0 5
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work
> i -1 4 0 ; works
>
> </CsScore>
> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>
> ---
>
> Should I file an issue?
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

jpff
I will take a look; could cause parsing issuse but it might e possible to
accept "-sound" as negative "soud" which might be easier.  Just tikig ot
loudd.

On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Tarmo Johannes wrote:

> John,What do you think, is it easy to implement?
> Of course this is not q high priority thing...
> Tarmo
>
> 29.03.2017 13:04 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor Lazzarini"
> <[hidden email]>:
>       At the moment no, you can’t do that, as far as I know.
>       ========================
>       Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>       Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>       Maynooth University,
>       Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>       Tel: 00 353 7086936
>       Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>       > On 29 Mar 2017, at 09:41, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]>
>       wrote:
>       >
>       > Hi,
>       >
>       > Would it be possible to have in the score syntax where you can
>       stop an indefinte named instrument by adding '-' before the
>       instrument name?
>       >
>       > Like
>       >
>       > i "sound" 0 -1
>       > i  -"sound" 1 0
>       >
>       > Does not work like that right now,
>       >
>       > i -1 1 0 works as expected.
>       >
>       > The full testing csd:
>       >
>       > ---
>       > <CsoundSynthesizer>
>       > <CsOptions>
>       > -odac -d
>       > </CsOptions>
>       > <CsInstruments>
>       >
>       > sr = 44100
>       > ksmps = 32
>       > nchnls = 2
>       > 0dbfs = 1
>       >
>       > instr sound
>       >       out poscil(0.1,500)
>       >       ksec init 0
>       >       if (metro(1)==1) then
>       >               printk2 ksec
>       >               ksec += 1
>       >       endif
>       > endin
>       >
>       > </CsInstruments>
>       > <CsScore>
>       > f 0 5
>       > i "sound" 0 -1
>       > i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work
>       > i -1 4 0 ; works
>       >
>       > </CsScore>
>       > </CsoundSynthesizer>
>       >
>       > ---
>       >
>       > Should I file an issue?
>       >
>       > Thanks!
>       > tarmo

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

Partially working, but domestic duties mean it will have to wait a while.

Sent from TypeApp
On 29 Mar 2017, at 14:09, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:
John,
What do you think, is it easy to implement?
Of course this is not q high priority thing...
Tarmo

29.03.2017 13:04 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor Lazzarini" < [hidden email]>:
At the moment no, you can’t do that, as far as I know.

> On 29 Mar 2017, at 09:41, Tarmo Johannes < [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to have in the score syntax where you can stop an indefinte named instrument by adding '-' before the instrument name?
>
> Like
>
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i  -"sound" 1 0
>
> Does not work like that right now,
>
> i -1 1 0 works as expected.
>
> The full testing csd:
>
> ---
> <CsoundSynthesizer>
> <CsOptions>
> -odac -d
> </CsOptions>
> <CsInstruments>
>
> sr = 44100
> ksmps = 32
> nchnls = 2
> 0dbfs = 1
>
> instr sound
>       out poscil(0.1,500)
>       ksec init 0
>       if (metro(1)==1) then
>               printk2 ksec
>               ksec += 1
>       endif
> endin
>
> </CsInstruments>
> <CsScore>
> f 0 5
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work
> i -1 4 0 ; works
>
> </CsScore>
> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>
> ---
>
> Should I file an issue?
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

Victor Lazzarini
could we make double quotes in p1 optional? I mean

i piano1 0 10

or even in this case, make the i opcode optional?

piano1  0 10

same as

"piano1" 0 10

or

i "piano1"  0 10

the semantics do not look ambiguous to me.

On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:17, John ff <[hidden email]> wrote:

Partially working, but domestic duties mean it will have to wait a while.

Sent from TypeApp
On 29 Mar 2017, at 14:09, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:
John,
What do you think, is it easy to implement?
Of course this is not q high priority thing...
Tarmo

29.03.2017 13:04 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor Lazzarini" < [hidden email]>:
At the moment no, you can’t do that, as far as I know.

> On 29 Mar 2017, at 09:41, Tarmo Johannes < [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to have in the score syntax where you can stop an indefinte named instrument by adding '-' before the instrument name?
>
> Like
>
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i  -"sound" 1 0
>
> Does not work like that right now,
>
> i -1 1 0 works as expected.
>
> The full testing csd:
>
> ---
> <CsoundSynthesizer>
> <CsOptions>
> -odac -d
> </CsOptions>
> <CsInstruments>
>
> sr = 44100
> ksmps = 32
> nchnls = 2
> 0dbfs = 1
>
> instr sound
>       out poscil(0.1,500)
>       ksec init 0
>       if (metro(1)==1) then
>               printk2 ksec
>               ksec += 1
>       endif
> endin
>
> </CsInstruments>
> <CsScore>
> f 0 5
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work
> i -1 4 0 ; works
>
> </CsScore>
> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>
> ---
>
> Should I file an issue?
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

Victor Lazzarini
Also we could have a score opcode to denote negative p1

d 1 0

same as

i -1 0 1

then the problem with named instruments goes away.

On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:33, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:

could we make double quotes in p1 optional? I mean

i piano1 0 10

or even in this case, make the i opcode optional?

piano1  0 10

same as

"piano1" 0 10

or

i "piano1"  0 10

the semantics do not look ambiguous to me.

On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:17, John ff <[hidden email]> wrote:

Partially working, but domestic duties mean it will have to wait a while.

Sent from TypeApp
On 29 Mar 2017, at 14:09, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:
John,
What do you think, is it easy to implement?
Of course this is not q high priority thing...
Tarmo

29.03.2017 13:04 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor Lazzarini" < [hidden email]>:
At the moment no, you can’t do that, as far as I know.

> On 29 Mar 2017, at 09:41, Tarmo Johannes < [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to have in the score syntax where you can stop an indefinte named instrument by adding '-' before the instrument name?
>
> Like
>
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i  -"sound" 1 0
>
> Does not work like that right now,
>
> i -1 1 0 works as expected.
>
> The full testing csd:
>
> ---
> <CsoundSynthesizer>
> <CsOptions>
> -odac -d
> </CsOptions>
> <CsInstruments>
>
> sr = 44100
> ksmps = 32
> nchnls = 2
> 0dbfs = 1
>
> instr sound
>       out poscil(0.1,500)
>       ksec init 0
>       if (metro(1)==1) then
>               printk2 ksec
>               ksec += 1
>       endif
> endin
>
> </CsInstruments>
> <CsScore>
> f 0 5
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work
> i -1 4 0 ; works
>
> </CsScore>
> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>
> ---
>
> Should I file an issue?
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

rorywalsh
I like this solution. Could the e score opcode be updated? It already notes the end of a score, if used with an instrument name/number could it simply mean the end of an instrument istance?

On 29 March 2017 at 21:42, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also we could have a score opcode to denote negative p1

d 1 0

same as

i -1 0 1

then the problem with named instruments goes away.

On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:33, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:

could we make double quotes in p1 optional? I mean

i piano1 0 10

or even in this case, make the i opcode optional?

piano1  0 10

same as

"piano1" 0 10

or

i "piano1"  0 10

the semantics do not look ambiguous to me.

On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:17, John ff <[hidden email]> wrote:

Partially working, but domestic duties mean it will have to wait a while.

Sent from TypeApp
On 29 Mar 2017, at 14:09, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:
John,
What do you think, is it easy to implement?
Of course this is not q high priority thing...
Tarmo

29.03.2017 13:04 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor Lazzarini" < [hidden email]>:
At the moment no, you can’t do that, as far as I know.

> On 29 Mar 2017, at 09:41, Tarmo Johannes < [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to have in the score syntax where you can stop an indefinte named instrument by adding '-' before the instrument name?
>
> Like
>
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i  -"sound" 1 0
>
> Does not work like that right now,
>
> i -1 1 0 works as expected.
>
> The full testing csd:
>
> ---
> <CsoundSynthesizer>
> <CsOptions>
> -odac -d
> </CsOptions>
> <CsInstruments>
>
> sr = 44100
> ksmps = 32
> nchnls = 2
> 0dbfs = 1
>
> instr sound
>       out poscil(0.1,500)
>       ksec init 0
>       if (metro(1)==1) then
>               printk2 ksec
>               ksec += 1
>       endif
> endin
>
> </CsInstruments>
> <CsScore>
> f 0 5
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work
> i -1 4 0 ; works
>
> </CsScore>
> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>
> ---
>
> Should I file an issue?
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

Dave Seidel
+1 to Victor's suggestions.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> nchnls = 2
> 0dbfs = 1
>
> instr sound
>       out poscil(0.1,500)
>       ksec init 0
>       if (metro(1)==1) then
>               printk2 ksec
>               ksec += 1
>       endif
> endin
>
> </CsInstruments>
> <CsScore>
> f 0 5
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work
> i -1 4 0 ; works
>
> </CsScore>
> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>
> ---
>
> Should I file an issue?
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

Without double quotes there are no real problems.  A d opcode is possible.

Sent from TypeApp
On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:33, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
could we make double quotes in p1 optional? I mean

i piano1 0 10

or even in this case, make the i opcode optional?

piano1  0 10

same as

"piano1" 0 10

or

i "piano1"  0 10

the semantics do not look ambiguous to me.

On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:17, John ff < [hidden email]> wrote:

Partially working, but domestic duties mean it will have to wait a while.

Sent from TypeApp
On 29 Mar 2017, at 14:09, Tarmo Johannes < [hidden email]> wrote:
John,
What do you think, is it easy to implement?
Of course this is not q high priority thing...
Tarmo

29.03.2017 13:04 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor Lazzarini" < [hidden email]>:
At the moment no, you can’t do that, as far as I know.

> On 29 Mar 2017, at 09:41, Tarmo Johannes < [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to have in the score syntax where you can stop an indefinte named instrument by adding '-' before the instrument name?
>
> Like
>
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i  -"sound" 1 0
>
> Does not work like that right now,
>
> i -1 1 0 works as expected.
>
> The full testing csd:
>
> ---
> <CsoundSynthesizer>
> <CsOptions>
> -odac -d
> </CsOptions>
> <CsInstruments>
>
> sr = 44100
> ksmps = 32
> nchnls = 2
> 0dbfs = 1
>
> instr sound
>       out poscil(0.1,500)
>       ksec init 0
>       if (metro(1)==1) then
>               printk2 ksec
>               ksec += 1
>       endif
> endin
>
> </CsInstruments>
> <CsScore>
> f 0 5
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work
> i -1 4 0 ; works
>
> </CsScore>
> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>
> ---
>
> Should I file an issue?
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

Which instance?

Sent from TypeApp
On 29 Mar 2017, at 23:07, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> nchnls = 2
> 0dbfs = 1
>
> instr sound
>       out poscil(0.1,500)
>       ksec init 0
>       if (metro(1)==1) then
>               printk2 ksec
>               ksec += 1
>       endif
> endin
>
> </CsInstruments>
> <CsScore>
> f 0 5
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work
> i -1 4 0 ; works
>
> </CsScore>
> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>
> ---
>
> Should I file an issue?
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

My gut instinct is that I'd rather see the i opcode enhanced rather
than introduce a new d score opcode introduced. Also, how would this
interact with schedule and event orc opcodes?

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:37 PM, John ff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Without double quotes there are no real problems.  A d opcode is possible.
>
> Sent from TypeApp
> On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:33, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> could we make double quotes in p1 optional? I mean
>>
>> i piano1 0 10
>>
>> or even in this case, make the i opcode optional?
>>
>> piano1  0 10
>>
>> same as
>>
>> "piano1" 0 10
>>
>> or
>>
>> i "piano1"  0 10
>>
>> the semantics do not look ambiguous to me.
>>
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:17, John ff < [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Partially working, but domestic duties mean it will have to wait a while.
>>
>> Sent from TypeApp
>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 14:09, Tarmo Johannes < [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> John,
>>> What do you think, is it easy to implement?
>>> Of course this is not q high priority thing...
>>> Tarmo

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

Victor Lazzarini
Just as before. For numbered instruments, it's syntatic sugar, for named instruments, it addresses a shortcoming.

> On 30 Mar 2017, at 00:03, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My gut instinct is that I'd rather see the i opcode enhanced rather
> than introduce a new d score opcode introduced. Also, how would this
> interact with schedule and event orc opcodes?
>
>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:37 PM, John ff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Without double quotes there are no real problems.  A d opcode is possible.
>>
>> Sent from TypeApp
>>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:33, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> could we make double quotes in p1 optional? I mean
>>>
>>> i piano1 0 10
>>>
>>> or even in this case, make the i opcode optional?
>>>
>>> piano1  0 10
>>>
>>> same as
>>>
>>> "piano1" 0 10
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> i "piano1"  0 10
>>>
>>> the semantics do not look ambiguous to me.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:17, John ff < [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Partially working, but domestic duties mean it will have to wait a while.
>>>
>>> Sent from TypeApp

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

I personally like the d (denote) syntax idea - much clearer for the user than
i -instrumentname
provided, it will work scoreline, event, inputaMessage etc.

Tarmo

30.03.2017 8:30 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor Lazzarini" <[hidden email]>:
Just as before. For numbered instruments, it's syntatic sugar, for named instruments, it addresses a shortcoming.

> On 30 Mar 2017, at 00:03, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My gut instinct is that I'd rather see the i opcode enhanced rather
> than introduce a new d score opcode introduced. Also, how would this
> interact with schedule and event orc opcodes?
>
>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:37 PM, John ff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Without double quotes there are no real problems.  A d opcode is possible.
>>
>> Sent from TypeApp
>>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:33, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> could we make double quotes in p1 optional? I mean
>>>
>>> i piano1 0 10
>>>
>>> or even in this case, make the i opcode optional?
>>>
>>> piano1  0 10
>>>
>>> same as
>>>
>>> "piano1" 0 10
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> i "piano1"  0 10
>>>
>>> the semantics do not look ambiguous to me.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:17, John ff < [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Partially working, but domestic duties mean it will have to wait a while.
>>>
>>> Sent from TypeApp

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

Big typo!  Remove the "no"; there is a real problem.

Sent from TypeApp
On 29 Mar 2017, at 23:38, John ff <[hidden email]> wrote:
Without double quotes there are no real problems.  A d opcode is possible.

Sent from TypeApp
On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:33, Victor Lazzarini < [hidden email]> wrote:
could we make double quotes in p1 optional? I mean

i piano1 0 10

or even in this case, make the i opcode optional?

piano1  0 10

same as

"piano1" 0 10

or

i "piano1"  0 10

the semantics do not look ambiguous to me.

On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:17, John ff < [hidden email]> wrote:

Partially working, but domestic duties mean it will have to wait a while.

Sent from TypeApp
On 29 Mar 2017, at 14:09, Tarmo Johannes < [hidden email]> wrote:
John,
What do you think, is it easy to implement?
Of course this is not q high priority thing...
Tarmo

29.03.2017 13:04 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor Lazzarini" < [hidden email]>:
At the moment no, you can’t do that, as far as I know.

> On 29 Mar 2017, at 09:41, Tarmo Johannes < [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to have in the score syntax where you can stop an indefinte named instrument by adding '-' before the instrument name?
>
> Like
>
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i  -"sound" 1 0
>
> Does not work like that right now,
>
> i -1 1 0 works as expected.
>
> The full testing csd:
>
> ---
> <CsoundSynthesizer>
> <CsOptions>
> -odac -d
> </CsOptions>
> <CsInstruments>
>
> sr = 44100
> ksmps = 32
> nchnls = 2
> 0dbfs = 1
>
> instr sound
>       out poscil(0.1,500)
>       ksec init 0
>       if (metro(1)==1) then
>               printk2 ksec
>               ksec += 1
>       endif
> endin
>
> </CsInstruments>
> <CsScore>
> f 0 5
> i "sound" 0 -1
> i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work
> i -1 4 0 ; works
>
> </CsScore>
> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>
> ---
>
> Should I file an issue?
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

Oh well; the i "-foo" syntax is working now.  Will look at a d opcode.

Sent from TypeApp
On 30 Mar 2017, at 08:06, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I personally like the d (denote) syntax idea - much clearer for the user than
i -instrumentname
provided, it will work scoreline, event, inputaMessage etc.

Tarmo

30.03.2017 8:30 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor Lazzarini" < [hidden email]>:
Just as before. For numbered instruments, it's syntatic sugar, for named instruments, it addresses a shortcoming.

> On 30 Mar 2017, at 00:03, Steven Yi < [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My gut instinct is that I'd rather see the i opcode enhanced rather
> than introduce a new d score opcode introduced. Also, how would this
> interact with schedule and event orc opcodes?
>
>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:37 PM, John ff < [hidden email]> wrote:
>> Without double quotes there are no real problems.  A d opcode is possible.
>>
>> Sent from TypeApp
>>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:33, Victor Lazzarini < [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> could we make double quotes in p1 optional? I mean
>>>
>>> i piano1 0 10
>>>
>>> or even in this case, make the i opcode optional?
>>>
>>> piano1  0 10
>>>
>>> same as
>>>
>>> "piano1" 0 10
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> i "piano1"  0 10
>>>
>>> the semantics do not look ambiguous to me.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:17, John ff < [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Partially working, but domestic duties mean it will have to wait a while.
>>>
>>> Sent from TypeApp

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

I guess you did not push yet?
I tried

i -"sound" 1 0

but no effect yet.

tarmo

Oh well; the i "-foo" syntax is working now.  Will look at a d opcode.

Sent from TypeApp
On 30 Mar 2017, at 08:06, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I personally like the d (denote) syntax idea - much clearer for the user than
i -instrumentname
provided, it will work scoreline, event, inputaMessage etc.

Tarmo

30.03.2017 8:30 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor Lazzarini" < [hidden email]>:
Just as before. For numbered instruments, it's syntatic sugar, for named instruments, it addresses a shortcoming.

> On 30 Mar 2017, at 00:03, Steven Yi < [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My gut instinct is that I'd rather see the i opcode enhanced rather
> than introduce a new d score opcode introduced. Also, how would this
> interact with schedule and event orc opcodes?
>
>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:37 PM, John ff < [hidden email]> wrote:
>> Without double quotes there are no real problems.  A d opcode is possible.
>>
>> Sent from TypeApp
>>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:33, Victor Lazzarini < [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> could we make double quotes in p1 optional? I mean
>>>
>>> i piano1 0 10
>>>
>>> or even in this case, make the i opcode optional?
>>>
>>> piano1  0 10
>>>
>>> same as
>>>
>>> "piano1" 0 10
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> i "piano1"  0 10
>>>
>>> the semantics do not look ambiguous to me.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 21:17, John ff < [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Partially working, but domestic duties mean it will have to wait a while.
>>>
>>> Sent from TypeApp

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

jpff
i "-sound" 1 0

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Tarmo Johannes wrote:

> [...]
>       >>>> Tarmo
>       >>>>
>       >>>> 29.03.2017 13:04 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor
>       Lazzarini" <
>       >>>> [hidden email]>:
>       >>>>>
>       >>>>> At the moment no, you can’t do that, as far as I
>       know.
>       >>>>> ========================
>       >>>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>       >>>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>       >>>>> Maynooth University,
>       >>>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>       >>>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>       >>>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>       >>>>>
>       >>>>>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 09:41, Tarmo Johannes <
>       [hidden email]> wrote:
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> Hi,
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> Would it be possible to have in the score
>       syntax where you can stop an
>       >>>>>> indefinte named instrument by adding '-' before
>       the instrument name?
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> Like
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> i "sound" 0 -1
>       >>>>>> i  -"sound" 1 0
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> Does not work like that right now,
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> i -1 1 0 works as expected.
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> The full testing csd:
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> ---
>       >>>>>> <CsoundSynthesizer>
>       >>>>>> <CsOptions>
>       >>>>>> -odac -d
>       >>>>>> </CsOptions>
>       >>>>>> <CsInstruments>
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> sr = 44100
>       >>>>>> ksmps = 32
>       >>>>>> nchnls = 2
>       >>>>>> 0dbfs = 1
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> instr sound
>       >>>>>>      out poscil(0.1,500)
>       >>>>>>      ksec init 0
>       >>>>>>      if (metro(1)==1) then
>       >>>>>>              printk2 ksec
>       >>>>>>              ksec += 1
>       >>>>>>      endif
>       >>>>>> endin
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> </CsInstruments>
>       >>>>>> <CsScore>
>       >>>>>> f 0 5
>       >>>>>> i "sound" 0 -1
>       >>>>>> i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work
>       >>>>>> i -1 4 0 ; works
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> </CsScore>
>       >>>>>> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> ---
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> Should I file an issue?
>       >>>>>>
>       >>>>>> Thanks!
>       >>>>>> tarmo
>       >>>>>
>       >>

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

Steven Yi
I suppose this feature would also touch upon the issue of fractional
named instruments too...   perhaps a i "-sound.1" would be next
logical thing?

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 7:55 AM, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>       >>>> Tarmo
>>       >>>>
>>       >>>> 29.03.2017 13:04 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor
>>       Lazzarini" <
>>       >>>> [hidden email]>:
>>       >>>>>
>>       >>>>> At the moment no, you can’t do that, as far as I
>>       know.
>>       >>>>> ========================
>>       >>>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>       >>>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>       >>>>> Maynooth University,
>>       >>>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>       >>>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>       >>>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>       >>>>>
>>       >>>>>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 09:41, Tarmo Johannes <
>>       [hidden email]> wrote:
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> Hi,
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> Would it be possible to have in the score
>>       syntax where you can stop an
>>       >>>>>> indefinte named instrument by adding '-' before
>>       the instrument name?
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> Like
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> i "sound" 0 -1
>>       >>>>>> i  -"sound" 1 0
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> Does not work like that right now,
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> i -1 1 0 works as expected.
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> The full testing csd:
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> ---
>>       >>>>>> <CsoundSynthesizer>
>>       >>>>>> <CsOptions>
>>       >>>>>> -odac -d
>>       >>>>>> </CsOptions>
>>       >>>>>> <CsInstruments>
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> sr = 44100
>>       >>>>>> ksmps = 32
>>       >>>>>> nchnls = 2
>>       >>>>>> 0dbfs = 1
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> instr sound
>>       >>>>>>      out poscil(0.1,500)
>>       >>>>>>      ksec init 0
>>       >>>>>>      if (metro(1)==1) then
>>       >>>>>>              printk2 ksec
>>       >>>>>>              ksec += 1
>>       >>>>>>      endif
>>       >>>>>> endin
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> </CsInstruments>
>>       >>>>>> <CsScore>
>>       >>>>>> f 0 5
>>       >>>>>> i "sound" 0 -1
>>       >>>>>> i -"sound" 1 0 ; does not work
>>       >>>>>> i -1 4 0 ; works
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> </CsScore>
>>       >>>>>> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> ---
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> Should I file an issue?
>>       >>>>>>
>>       >>>>>> Thanks!
>>       >>>>>> tarmo
>>       >>>>>
>>       >>

Re: [Csnd-dev] negative p1 with named instrument

I've certainly wanted to be able to use fractional named instruments more than once.

--
12