[Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon

Victor Lazzarini-2
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github

Re: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon

Francois PINOT
Pas bon, pas bon

François

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github

Re: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon

Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>
> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
> Maynooth University
> Ireland

Re: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon

Victor Lazzarini-2
but where to?

> On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
>
>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>
>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
>> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland

Re: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon

Tarmo Johannes-3
https://bitbucket.org ?

On esmaspäev, 4. juuni 2018 15:11.35 EEST you wrote:

> but where to?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
>
> > On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
> >
> >> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> >>
> >> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-h
> >> ave- agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
> >> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
> >> Maynooth University
> >> Ireland

Re: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon

gitlab or bitbucket seems to be mentions most; also gogs

I am looking at them....

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> but where to?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
>
>> On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
>>
>>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
>>> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>>> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

Re: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon

Dave Seidel
Let's not be too hasty. MS is not necessarily the kiss of death here, now that they have significant open-source assets, and since GitHub also hosts code owned by their competitors (e.g., Google). They will be under a lot of scrutiny. My guess is that if enough people are concerned (based on reality or not), then some alternative will emerge. Gitlab is very good (we use it at my company) but we run our own instance; not sure if if is even available in a hosted form.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 8:47 AM jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
gitlab or bitbucket seems to be mentions most; also gogs

I am looking at them....

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> but where to?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
>
>> On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
>>
>>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
>>> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>>> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

Re: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon

Don't do anything hasty that would waste our precious time for no real reason!

Stick with github unless its terms of service, its availability, or its cost become real problems.

The real meaning of this move is more that the open source model is gaining traction within Microsoft, which has to adapt to the dominance of Linux (and Android) and Unix (and iOS) on devices and servers.

Sincerely,
Mike

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, 08:47 jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
gitlab or bitbucket seems to be mentions most; also gogs

I am looking at them....

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> but where to?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
>
>> On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
>>
>>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
>>> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>>> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

Re: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon

One word: Skype.

On 4 Jun 2018, at 14:27, Dave Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Let's not be too hasty. MS is not necessarily the kiss of death here, now that they have significant open-source assets, and since GitHub also hosts code owned by their competitors (e.g., Google). They will be under a lot of scrutiny. My guess is that if enough people are concerned (based on reality or not), then some alternative will emerge. Gitlab is very good (we use it at my company) but we run our own instance; not sure if if is even available in a hosted form.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 8:47 AM jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
gitlab or bitbucket seems to be mentions most; also gogs

I am looking at them....

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> but where to?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
>
>> On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
>>
>>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
>>> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>>> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

Re: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon

Dave Seidel
Apples and oranges, I hope. Let's wait and see.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 9:39 AM Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
One word: Skype.

On 4 Jun 2018, at 14:27, Dave Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Let's not be too hasty. MS is not necessarily the kiss of death here, now that they have significant open-source assets, and since GitHub also hosts code owned by their competitors (e.g., Google). They will be under a lot of scrutiny. My guess is that if enough people are concerned (based on reality or not), then some alternative will emerge. Gitlab is very good (we use it at my company) but we run our own instance; not sure if if is even available in a hosted form.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 8:47 AM jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
gitlab or bitbucket seems to be mentions most; also gogs

I am looking at them....

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> but where to?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
>
>> On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
>>
>>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
>>> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>>> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

Re: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon

It's true Microsoft reworked Skype for corporate customers and lost consumers and did that in a proprietary way. So I take your implication that MS could do that with GitHub.

But again, let's not be hasty. No reason at all to do anything until the terms of service etc. are not good for us. GitHub is a VERY different business from Skype.