[Csnd-dev] Status: Pthreads/Visual Studio

[Csnd-dev] Status: Pthreads/Visual Studio

Steven Yi
Hi All,

Just FYI, I've been working along with Stephen Kyne in the no-pthread
branch. We've gotten pretty far, having replaced direct use of
pthreads in most places with calls to Csound's thread API. (We still
need to implement barriers using Windows API calls.)  We've also
applied the changes reported by Rasmus here from December, at least,
the ones that weren't related to pthreads since that dependency was
removed.  There's still work to be done, but Stephen wrote me that 56
projects were building and 6 were failing at this time.

Stephen and I have been communicating on Slack in the #dev channel.
Anyone interested to help out in the effort is encouraged to join us
on Slack as well as to checkout the no-pthread branch and give it a
try.  I have been regularly building with Mingw as well, and spot
checking for builds continuing to work on Linux.  The plan at the
moment is once VS is working for a full build, I can merge the latest
from develop into no-pthread, then test build on Linux and OSX.  Once
that's checked, I'll email here again to make sure we're okay to merge
back into develop.

Re: [Csnd-dev] Status: Pthreads/Visual Studio

Michael Gogins-2
Develop head just built OK with msys64.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 7:47 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just FYI, I've been working along with Stephen Kyne in the no-pthread
> branch. We've gotten pretty far, having replaced direct use of
> pthreads in most places with calls to Csound's thread API. (We still
> need to implement barriers using Windows API calls.)  We've also
> applied the changes reported by Rasmus here from December, at least,
> the ones that weren't related to pthreads since that dependency was
> removed.  There's still work to be done, but Stephen wrote me that 56
> projects were building and 6 were failing at this time.
>
> Stephen and I have been communicating on Slack in the #dev channel.
> Anyone interested to help out in the effort is encouraged to join us
> on Slack as well as to checkout the no-pthread branch and give it a
> try.  I have been regularly building with Mingw as well, and spot
> checking for builds continuing to work on Linux.  The plan at the
> moment is once VS is working for a full build, I can merge the latest
> from develop into no-pthread, then test build on Linux and OSX.  Once
> that's checked, I'll email here again to make sure we're okay to merge
> back into develop.
>
> Thanks!
> steven

Re: [Csnd-dev] Status: Pthreads/Visual Studio

Steven Yi
To clarify: this work is in the no-pthread branch, and not develop.

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Develop head just built OK with msys64.
>
> Best,
> Mike

> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>

> On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 7:47 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just FYI, I've been working along with Stephen Kyne in the no-pthread
>> branch. We've gotten pretty far, having replaced direct use of
>> pthreads in most places with calls to Csound's thread API. (We still
>> need to implement barriers using Windows API calls.)  We've also
>> applied the changes reported by Rasmus here from December, at least,
>> the ones that weren't related to pthreads since that dependency was
>> removed.  There's still work to be done, but Stephen wrote me that 56
>> projects were building and 6 were failing at this time.
>>
>> Stephen and I have been communicating on Slack in the #dev channel.
>> Anyone interested to help out in the effort is encouraged to join us
>> on Slack as well as to checkout the no-pthread branch and give it a
>> try.  I have been regularly building with Mingw as well, and spot
>> checking for builds continuing to work on Linux.  The plan at the
>> moment is once VS is working for a full build, I can merge the latest
>> from develop into no-pthread, then test build on Linux and OSX.  Once
>> that's checked, I'll email here again to make sure we're okay to merge
>> back into develop.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> steven

Re: [Csnd-dev] Status: Pthreads/Visual Studio

Michael Gogins-2
RIght, that should have been obvious.

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To clarify: this work is in the no-pthread branch, and not develop.
>
> On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Develop head just built OK with msys64.
>>
>> Best,
>> Mike

>> Michael Gogins
>> Irreducible Productions
>> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
>> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 7:47 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Just FYI, I've been working along with Stephen Kyne in the no-pthread
>>> branch. We've gotten pretty far, having replaced direct use of
>>> pthreads in most places with calls to Csound's thread API. (We still
>>> need to implement barriers using Windows API calls.)  We've also
>>> applied the changes reported by Rasmus here from December, at least,
>>> the ones that weren't related to pthreads since that dependency was
>>> removed.  There's still work to be done, but Stephen wrote me that 56
>>> projects were building and 6 were failing at this time.
>>>
>>> Stephen and I have been communicating on Slack in the #dev channel.
>>> Anyone interested to help out in the effort is encouraged to join us
>>> on Slack as well as to checkout the no-pthread branch and give it a
>>> try.  I have been regularly building with Mingw as well, and spot
>>> checking for builds continuing to work on Linux.  The plan at the
>>> moment is once VS is working for a full build, I can merge the latest
>>> from develop into no-pthread, then test build on Linux and OSX.  Once
>>> that's checked, I'll email here again to make sure we're okay to merge
>>> back into develop.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> steven