[Csnd-dev] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

[Csnd-dev] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

Michael Gogins-2
Just now I have built the core of Csound plus most utilities and many
plugin opcodes with Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015. Thanks to
Stephen Kyne, Steven Yi, and others for moving this forward.

For the next release of Csound, I would like to build the Windows
installer using Visual Studio. This would among other things make it
easier to set up the build, easier to debug Csound, and easier to
integrate Csound with NW.js, node.js, CsoundQt, and other such
systems. In the near future it should be possible for a new release
tag to simply show up in the releases as a finished, tested installer.

However, over the years I have made it a point to cram as many
features, front ends, and whatnot into the Windows installer as
possible. Now may be a good time to consider what really needs to be
in there. (Please note, not being in the Windows installer does NOT
mean not being in the Csound Git repository!)

I will continue to provide CsoundVST and the vst4cs opcodes on my own
Web site. I also plan to keep the csound.node addon for NW.js and the
Ableton Live opcodes.

But what about --

(1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?
(3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
or not? If nobody but me ever uses it, I may move it to my own
repository.
(5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
repo?
(7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?

Please comment on the above or any other issues for the Windows installer.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

Re: [Csnd-dev] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

Victor Lazzarini
From me:

(1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
I have used them (but not for my own music) and I think many people do use them

(2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?
Blue depends on them, so lots of users do. I have used them for some demos.

(3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
I have tested them in the past, not sure what their status is.

(4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
or not? If nobody but me ever uses it, I may move it to my own
repository.
I think this is a good idea, and would provide some more width for
developing them as a Csound-based project.

(5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
No, but I think a number of peopple do.

(6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
repo?
I use it regularly, usually the latest version so I can test it before
packaging.

(7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
No, but, again, I think some people do.

(8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?
I replaced them by CsoundQT since it came out, but use them if looking at older
code that employs them.

> On 12 Jun 2017, at 01:44, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just now I have built the core of Csound plus most utilities and many
> plugin opcodes with Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015. Thanks to
> Stephen Kyne, Steven Yi, and others for moving this forward.
>
> For the next release of Csound, I would like to build the Windows
> installer using Visual Studio. This would among other things make it
> easier to set up the build, easier to debug Csound, and easier to
> integrate Csound with NW.js, node.js, CsoundQt, and other such
> systems. In the near future it should be possible for a new release
> tag to simply show up in the releases as a finished, tested installer.
>
> However, over the years I have made it a point to cram as many
> features, front ends, and whatnot into the Windows installer as
> possible. Now may be a good time to consider what really needs to be
> in there. (Please note, not being in the Windows installer does NOT
> mean not being in the Csound Git repository!)
>
> I will continue to provide CsoundVST and the vst4cs opcodes on my own
> Web site. I also plan to keep the csound.node addon for NW.js and the
> Ableton Live opcodes.
>
> But what about --
>
> (1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
> (2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?
> (3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
> (4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
> or not? If nobody but me ever uses it, I may move it to my own
> repository.
> (5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
> (6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
> or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
> repo?
> (7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
> (8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?
>
> Please comment on the above or any other issues for the Windows installer.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

Re: [Csnd-dev] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

genell
I don't use Csound all that often on Windows at all, but if I do the following applies

But what about --

(1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
Only to test MIDI functionality.

(2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?
(3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
or not? If nobody but me ever uses it, I may move it to my own
repository.
(5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
I have never used any of the above

(6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
repo?
I use CsoundQt on Windows mainly as an editor and a test environment for new csd files. Then I run them from console.

(7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
I didn't really know about them, but I might start using them now. Most likely mainly on Linux, though.

(8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?
Yes, mainly for displaying, not for controlling.

In general there is a very good reason for cramming all the bells and whistles into the windows installer, namely the complexity involved in installing things on Windows machines. Most users, myself included, shy away from taking on the monumental task of building anything from source on Windows.

Regards,
Anders

Re: [Csnd-dev] [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

Felipe Sateler

I have a few comments and questions as downstream debian packager of csound, prompted by this discussion. I have seen my available time being considerably reduced so if reducing some workload is possible I'd like to do that.

1. Should I drop the lua bindings and opcodes too? Are lua bindings being shipped in any other installer?
2. Should I still build the java bindings for debian? The main consumer of the java API is blue, but AFAIK nobody has tried to use blue with the debian-provided java interface.
3. If CsoundAC is removed from the main repository, it is unlikely I will maintain it downstream in debian. (But I'm available for questions and eventually uploading to debian if someone else wants to do the work of tracking upstream releases, bugfixing, etc).

Saludos

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks to everyone who responded to this. After reading all the responses and thinking about I have come to the following conclusions:

(1) I will drop LuaJIT, the Lua opcodes, and the Lua interfaces from the Windows installer. They are not widely used and their function has mostly been replaced by JavaScript and HTML5.

(2) I will keep the remaining features for the time being:

(2.a.) The FluidSynth opcodes.
(2.b.) The Java interfaces.
(2.c.) The CsoundAC system and interfaces. Ultimately I will move these features out of the Csound repository but not now. There are no longer any external dependencies so it should be easy to get this to build.
(2.d.) The STK opcodes.
(2.e.) I will continue to include CsoundQt in the Windows installer and I will merge and maintain the HTML5 support in CsoundQt.
(2.f.) The linear algebra opcodes. I will replace the use of GMM with the use of Eigen3 for which there is already a port for the Visual Studio build system.
(2.g) The FLTK opcodes.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 6:59 PM, andy fillebrown <[hidden email]> wrote:
(1) The FluidSynth opcodes? YES
(2) The Java interfaces? NO
(3) The LuaJIT opcodes? NO
(4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? NO
(5) The STK (C++) opcodes? NO
(6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? YES
(7) The linear algebra opcodes? NO
(8) The FLTK widgets? NO!

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Andrea Strappa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I use 2), 6), 8). But I'm interested to all.
I think that the features have an easy installation to integrate with Csound it could be indipendent, but the features that have an elaborated installation could be enclosed in the installer.
Greetings
Andrea S.

(1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?
(3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
or not? If nobody but me ever uses it, I may move it to my own
repository.
(5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
repo?
(7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?

Of these features, I've used 5) and 8), and would really like to learn how to use 7)
Thanks for the effort with the installer, Mike

all best
Oeyvind

Avast logo

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler

Re: [Csnd-dev] [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

Michael Gogins-2
I am not currently planning to remove CsoundAC, I am considering doing that in the future but at least for now, it stays in the repository, so I would appreciate your continued support for CsoundAC.

Unless somebody else needs them, you can drop the Lua features, that's OK with me.

I think you should continue to support the Java bindings.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Felipe Sateler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Felipe Sateler

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler

Re: [Csnd-dev] [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

Steven Yi
Hi Felipe,

I suspect there are Blue users that use the Csound java package in Debian, due to the occasional mailing list reports and version of Csound matching up with Debian package. It would simplify things for me if that was maintained. Moving forward, I could look into using JFFI and creating separate binding system that would dynamically load libcsound rather current bindings using libcsnd6, but I don't have a sense of performance impact or viability on that at the moment.

Thanks!
Steven