Quantcast

[Csnd-dev] Multiple instances

genell
Dear devs!

Is there any major obstacles or drawbacks with having multiple instances of csound?
Thanks to all your help we now quite successfully employ the csound api, and the developers responsible for the other parts of our vehicle driving simulator would like to have the sound handling conform to other parts such as graphics. This means handlig several csound streams as 'sound objects', so that the engine of the vehicle is one sound object, each wheel is a sound object, each surrounding vehicle is a sound object and so on. The way they would like to implement this is to have one csd file per sound object, and do one independent instance of csound per csd file. Would that be any cause for concern?

Regards,
Anders

Re: [Csnd-dev] Multiple instances

To my experience multiple Csound instances run very well side by side, no problem ar all.
Tarmo

Regards,
Anders

Anders

Re: [Csnd-dev] Multiple instances

genell
Thank you both!
We use the host audio IO so that is no problem.

We'll give it a go.

Regards,
Anders

Anders

Re: [Csnd-dev] Multiple instances

genell
Thanks Mike!
That was one thing I was wondering - what amount of overhead to expect.

So I guess one way to do it would be to start one instance of Csound when the host starts, and then have one instrument per sound object.

Would it be possible to have such a system dynamic in the sense that any number of copies of the same instrument could be invoked as always on? We would need that to allow adding more actors such as surrounding vehicles.
And what about if we want to add new instruments to the running instance?
Some clever application of live coding features and #include statements, perhaps?

Regards,
Anders