[Csnd] browser based ftgen plotter under development

[Csnd] browser based ftgen plotter under development

hlolli
Thanks to Rory I've been hammering WASM stuff lately.

I believe this small tool, I made just today https://github.com/hlolli/csound-ftgen-plotter is already a very useful tool for visualizing the built in GEN routines. I made a preview link here https://hlolli.github.io/

Not fully implemented, but if it crashes, then most likely you'd need to reload the website, if the plotter never works, you most likely need to update your browser.

Hope this makes ftgen plotting easier!

Cheers,
Hlödver

Re: [Csnd] browser based ftgen plotter under development

Tarmo Johannes-3
Very nice!

I will study the code later.

Tarmo

08.09.2018 0:07 kirjutas kuupäeval "Hlöðver Sigurðsson" <[hidden email]>:
Thanks to Rory I've been hammering WASM stuff lately.

I believe this small tool, I made just today https://github.com/hlolli/csound-ftgen-plotter is already a very useful tool for visualizing the built in GEN routines. I made a preview link here https://hlolli.github.io/

Not fully implemented, but if it crashes, then most likely you'd need to reload the website, if the plotter never works, you most likely need to update your browser.

Hope this makes ftgen plotting easier!

Cheers,
Hlödver

Re: [Csnd] browser based ftgen plotter under development

orebronerd
This post was updated on .
Very nice. I couldn’t make it work first, then I noticed that you have to put
a space after the komma when entering values. With ftgen 10 1,1,1 doesn’t
work, it is interpreted as 111, but 1, 1, 1 works fine. At least this is the case with Safari on an iPhone.
Martin Flodin

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] browser based ftgen plotter under development

hlolli
Thanks Matrin for pointing this out, I've fixed it, I'm deciding not to do any regexes there, because csound is clever enough to throw parse error.

Now it's therefore possible to use numbers with mathematical operators like in csound (ex. 1024/4 or 128*4 etc.)

And more GEN routines and documentations. And with GEN routines that requires a source table (like GEN30-33), a seperate textfield pops up to declare a source table which a GEN can read from (fixed to table-num 2)

Now back to making music, needed this tool for my own benefit :P but all bug reports appreachiated (I see few myself, but UX is probably a major thing I'd need to work on.)

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 at 16:26, orebronerd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Very nice. I couldn’t make it work first, then I noticed that you have to put
a space after the komma when entering values. With ftgen 10 1,1,1 doesn’t
work, it is interpreted as 111, but 1, 1, 1 works fine.
Martin Flodin

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] browser based ftgen plotter under development

gsenna
Hi Hlöðver,

Very nice tool! I was thinking about doing the same but in reverse. An
adaptation from something like this
(https://codepen.io/anthonydugois/pen/mewdyZ) could help you to draw the
quadratic bezier segments and automatically output the f-statement or
the ftgen arguments for the "quadbezier" GEN routine
(https://csound.com/docs/manual/GENquadbezier.html).

Cheers.

On 08/09/18 16:24, Hlöðver Sigurðsson wrote:

> Thanks Matrin for pointing this out, I've fixed it, I'm deciding not to do
> any regexes there, because csound is clever enough to throw parse error.
>
> Now it's therefore possible to use numbers with mathematical operators like
> in csound (ex. 1024/4 or 128*4 etc.)
>
> And more GEN routines and documentations. And with GEN routines that
> requires a source table (like GEN30-33), a seperate textfield pops up to
> declare a source table which a GEN can read from (fixed to table-num 2)
>
> https://hlolli.github.io/
>
> Now back to making music, needed this tool for my own benefit :P but all
> bug reports appreachiated (I see few myself, but UX is probably a major
> thing I'd need to work on.)
>

> On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 at 16:26, orebronerd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Very nice. I couldn’t make it work first, then I noticed that you have to
>> put
>> a space after the komma when entering values. With ftgen 10 1,1,1 doesn’t
>> work, it is interpreted as 111, but 1, 1, 1 works fine.
>> Martin Flodin
>>

>> --
>> Sent from:
>> http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] browser based ftgen plotter under development

hlolli
Hi Guillermo,

I think the trick there is to have good svg editor, given that bezier curves are easy with svg, there must be something out there, I was lucky to find an excellent high perfomant react plotter.
I could see it be useful and I would probably use it, but if it works well, then there's no need to visualize it if it drew correctly, except to use my plotter tool to confirm that the generated ftable really represents what the user drew onto the screen, something which (in a perfect world) only be useful information for the developer of the tool rather than the user.

Cheers,
Hlöðver

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 at 21:58, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hlöðver,

Very nice tool! I was thinking about doing the same but in reverse. An
adaptation from something like this
(https://codepen.io/anthonydugois/pen/mewdyZ) could help you to draw the
quadratic bezier segments and automatically output the f-statement or
the ftgen arguments for the "quadbezier" GEN routine
(https://csound.com/docs/manual/GENquadbezier.html).

Cheers.

On 08/09/18 16:24, Hlöðver Sigurðsson wrote:
> Thanks Matrin for pointing this out, I've fixed it, I'm deciding not to do
> any regexes there, because csound is clever enough to throw parse error.
>
> Now it's therefore possible to use numbers with mathematical operators like
> in csound (ex. 1024/4 or 128*4 etc.)
>
> And more GEN routines and documentations. And with GEN routines that
> requires a source table (like GEN30-33), a seperate textfield pops up to
> declare a source table which a GEN can read from (fixed to table-num 2)
>
> https://hlolli.github.io/
>
> Now back to making music, needed this tool for my own benefit :P but all
> bug reports appreachiated (I see few myself, but UX is probably a major
> thing I'd need to work on.)
>

> On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 at 16:26, orebronerd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Very nice. I couldn’t make it work first, then I noticed that you have to
>> put
>> a space after the komma when entering values. With ftgen 10 1,1,1 doesn’t
>> work, it is interpreted as 111, but 1, 1, 1 works fine.
>> Martin Flodin
>>

>> --
>> Sent from:
>> http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] browser based ftgen plotter under development

zappfinger

snap svg? (http://snapsvg.io/)

Richard

On 08/09/18 22:20, Hlöðver Sigurðsson wrote:
Hi Guillermo,

I think the trick there is to have good svg editor, given that bezier curves are easy with svg, there must be something out there, I was lucky to find an excellent high perfomant react plotter.
I could see it be useful and I would probably use it, but if it works well, then there's no need to visualize it if it drew correctly, except to use my plotter tool to confirm that the generated ftable really represents what the user drew onto the screen, something which (in a perfect world) only be useful information for the developer of the tool rather than the user.

Cheers,
Hlöðver

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 at 21:58, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hlöðver,

Very nice tool! I was thinking about doing the same but in reverse. An
adaptation from something like this
(https://codepen.io/anthonydugois/pen/mewdyZ) could help you to draw the
quadratic bezier segments and automatically output the f-statement or
the ftgen arguments for the "quadbezier" GEN routine
(https://csound.com/docs/manual/GENquadbezier.html).

Cheers.

On 08/09/18 16:24, Hlöðver Sigurðsson wrote:
> Thanks Matrin for pointing this out, I've fixed it, I'm deciding not to do
> any regexes there, because csound is clever enough to throw parse error.
>
> Now it's therefore possible to use numbers with mathematical operators like
> in csound (ex. 1024/4 or 128*4 etc.)
>
> And more GEN routines and documentations. And with GEN routines that
> requires a source table (like GEN30-33), a seperate textfield pops up to
> declare a source table which a GEN can read from (fixed to table-num 2)
>
> https://hlolli.github.io/
>
> Now back to making music, needed this tool for my own benefit :P but all
> bug reports appreachiated (I see few myself, but UX is probably a major
> thing I'd need to work on.)
>

> On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 at 16:26, orebronerd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Very nice. I couldn’t make it work first, then I noticed that you have to
>> put
>> a space after the komma when entering values. With ftgen 10 1,1,1 doesn’t
>> work, it is interpreted as 111, but 1, 1, 1 works fine.
>> Martin Flodin
>>

>> --
>> Sent from:
>> http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] browser based ftgen plotter under development

Doctor B
Awesome!

Great to share on my first day of the Fall Csound Class - Monday!

Thanks!

-dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor of Electronic Production and Design
Professional Writing and Music Technology Division
Berklee College of Music
President of Boulanger Labs - http://boulangerlabs.com
Author & Editor of The Csound Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/csound-book
Author & Editor of The Audio Programming Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/audio-programming-book
about:
http://www.boulangerlabs.com/#about
about: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/
music: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/dr-richard-boulanger-music/

email: [hidden email]
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/richard.boulanger.58

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 5:07 PM, Hlöðver Sigurðsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks to Rory I've been hammering WASM stuff lately.

I believe this small tool, I made just today https://github.com/hlolli/csound-ftgen-plotter is already a very useful tool for visualizing the built in GEN routines. I made a preview link here https://hlolli.github.io/

Not fully implemented, but if it crashes, then most likely you'd need to reload the website, if the plotter never works, you most likely need to update your browser.

Hope this makes ftgen plotting easier!

Cheers,
Hlödver

Re: [Csnd] browser based ftgen plotter under development

hlolli
@DrB hope it helps your students!

I was thinking about adding some preview buttons, I guess I would implement trough a popup dialog, as not to crash the whole page, in case something goes wrong. I'm already getting annoyed myself needing to reload the page when I give csound parameters which causes csound to crash/segfault. Perhaps I'll add a coookie storing an edit history to give better user experience. Open for ideas!

-Hlö

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 at 23:47, Dr. Richard Boulanger <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Awesome.  I love it.  I especially love how fluid it is.  Storing the edit history is a great idea too.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor