[Csnd] Viva text based music or writing trance in TTY console!

[Csnd] Viva text based music or writing trance in TTY console!

Anton Kholomiov
I'm back to csound-expression business and hope to release soon.
here is a small teaser of new features.

Since csound is text based I was wondering how far one can get
in the tty console.

For those that who are not familiar with Linux slang
tty is the mode were you can run the whole OS in the repl,
no window system is started mouse doesn't work no Ctrl+C Ctrl+V,
just single terminal and keyboard

With Csound and my haskell lib in the repl
i was able to make a tiny trance sketch which I'd like to share with you.
Csound code is in the attachment, you can run it with csound (no flags needed).

> csound tty-trance.csd

Hope you enjoy!

It's about 12 lines of code in the tty-shell.

I also attach a source of the haskell code (slightly modified for readability).
It's not going to work right now since it features some unrealesed
things which are coming soon in the new release.

So stay tuned :)

One cool upcoming feature that's heavily used in the example is
support for built-in BPM change. There are functions that
can read global BPM out of thin air for the user.

With it I'm able to sync arpeggios with drum patterns and LFOs

So user can run:

osc (syn 1)

- and syn is going to synchronize the rate with global bpm
which can be set by single line for the whole project.
It's hidden global variable that's built in to the library.
And it allows to easily synchronize delay times or rates for LFO's
or drum patterns.

But enough talking here is the code, hope you enjoy :)

PS: code requires Csound 6.10 to run

tty-trance.csd (40K) Download Attachment
Tty.hs (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] Viva text based music or writing trance in TTY console!

Anton Kholomiov
single feature of Csound 6.10 is diode filter, if you interested in
running on pre latest release drop here a line, I will substitute
for some more common filter

I'm back to csound-expression business and hope to release soon.
here is a small teaser of new features.

Since csound is text based I was wondering how far one can get
in the tty console.

For those that who are not familiar with Linux slang
tty is the mode were you can run the whole OS in the repl,
no window system is started mouse doesn't work no Ctrl+C Ctrl+V,
just single terminal and keyboard

With Csound and my haskell lib in the repl
i was able to make a tiny trance sketch which I'd like to share with you.
Csound code is in the attachment, you can run it with csound (no flags needed).

> csound tty-trance.csd

Hope you enjoy!

It's about 12 lines of code in the tty-shell.

I also attach a source of the haskell code (slightly modified for readability).
It's not going to work right now since it features some unrealesed
things which are coming soon in the new release.

So stay tuned :)

One cool upcoming feature that's heavily used in the example is
support for built-in BPM change. There are functions that
can read global BPM out of thin air for the user.

With it I'm able to sync arpeggios with drum patterns and LFOs

So user can run:

osc (syn 1)

- and syn is going to synchronize the rate with global bpm
which can be set by single line for the whole project.
It's hidden global variable that's built in to the library.
And it allows to easily synchronize delay times or rates for LFO's
or drum patterns.

But enough talking here is the code, hope you enjoy :)

PS: code requires Csound 6.10 to run

Re: [Csnd] Viva text based music or writing trance in TTY console!

Anton Kholomiov
Also interesting feature is that global BPM is set with signal,
in the example it's controlled with linseg and all parts of thecomposition
align with the change. you can hear it as track gets faster

single feature of Csound 6.10 is diode filter, if you interested in
running on pre latest release drop here a line, I will substitute
for some more common filter

I'm back to csound-expression business and hope to release soon.
here is a small teaser of new features.

Since csound is text based I was wondering how far one can get
in the tty console.

For those that who are not familiar with Linux slang
tty is the mode were you can run the whole OS in the repl,
no window system is started mouse doesn't work no Ctrl+C Ctrl+V,
just single terminal and keyboard

With Csound and my haskell lib in the repl
i was able to make a tiny trance sketch which I'd like to share with you.
Csound code is in the attachment, you can run it with csound (no flags needed).

> csound tty-trance.csd

Hope you enjoy!

It's about 12 lines of code in the tty-shell.

I also attach a source of the haskell code (slightly modified for readability).
It's not going to work right now since it features some unrealesed
things which are coming soon in the new release.

So stay tuned :)

One cool upcoming feature that's heavily used in the example is
support for built-in BPM change. There are functions that
can read global BPM out of thin air for the user.

With it I'm able to sync arpeggios with drum patterns and LFOs

So user can run:

osc (syn 1)

- and syn is going to synchronize the rate with global bpm
which can be set by single line for the whole project.
It's hidden global variable that's built in to the library.
And it allows to easily synchronize delay times or rates for LFO's
or drum patterns.

But enough talking here is the code, hope you enjoy :)

PS: code requires Csound 6.10 to run

Re: [Csnd] Viva text based music or writing trance in TTY console!

Steven Yi
Just had a free moment to check this out: nice!  I rather like the
filtered square arpeggio lines. :)  Thanks for sharing!

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 11:24 AM, Anton Kholomiov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also interesting feature is that global BPM is set with signal,
> in the example it's controlled with linseg and all parts of thecomposition
> align with the change. you can hear it as track gets faster

>> single feature of Csound 6.10 is diode filter, if you interested in
>> running on pre latest release drop here a line, I will substitute
>> for some more common filter

>>> I'm back to csound-expression business and hope to release soon.
>>> here is a small teaser of new features.
>>>

>>> Since csound is text based I was wondering how far one can get
>>> in the tty console.
>>>
>>> For those that who are not familiar with Linux slang
>>> tty is the mode were you can run the whole OS in the repl,
>>> no window system is started mouse doesn't work no Ctrl+C Ctrl+V,
>>> just single terminal and keyboard
>>>
>>> With Csound and my haskell lib in the repl
>>> i was able to make a tiny trance sketch which I'd like to share with you.
>>> Csound code is in the attachment, you can run it with csound (no flags
>>> needed).

>>> Hope you enjoy!
>>>
>>> It's about 12 lines of code in the tty-shell.
>>>
>>> I also attach a source of the haskell code (slightly modified for
>>> readability).
>>> It's not going to work right now since it features some unrealesed
>>> things which are coming soon in the new release.
>>>
>>> So stay tuned :)
>>>
>>> One cool upcoming feature that's heavily used in the example is
>>> support for built-in BPM change. There are functions that
>>> can read global BPM out of thin air for the user.
>>>
>>> With it I'm able to sync arpeggios with drum patterns and LFOs
>>>
>>> So user can run:
>>>
>>> osc (syn 1)
>>>
>>> - and syn is going to synchronize the rate with global bpm
>>> which can be set by single line for the whole project.
>>> It's hidden global variable that's built in to the library.
>>> And it allows to easily synchronize delay times or rates for LFO's
>>> or drum patterns.
>>>
>>> But enough talking here is the code, hope you enjoy :)
>>>
>>> PS: code requires Csound 6.10 to run

Re: [Csnd] Viva text based music or writing trance in TTY console!

gsenna
Cool! So csound-expression transforms those 12 lines of functional
programming into the 1600 lines of Csound code?

On 20/04/18 12:19, Anton Kholomiov wrote:

> I'm back to csound-expression business and hope to release soon.
> here is a small teaser of new features.
>

> Since csound is text based I was wondering how far one can get
> in the tty console.
>
> For those that who are not familiar with Linux slang
> tty is the mode were you can run the whole OS in the repl,
> no window system is started mouse doesn't work no Ctrl+C Ctrl+V,
> just single terminal and keyboard
>
> With Csound and my haskell lib in the repl
> i was able to make a tiny trance sketch which I'd like to share with you.
> Csound code is in the attachment, you can run it with csound (no flags
> needed).
>
>> csound tty-trance.csd
> Hope you enjoy!
>
> It's about 12 lines of code in the tty-shell.
>
> I also attach a source of the haskell code (slightly modified for
> readability).
> It's not going to work right now since it features some unrealesed
> things which are coming soon in the new release.
>
> So stay tuned :)
>
> One cool upcoming feature that's heavily used in the example is
> support for built-in BPM change. There are functions that
> can read global BPM out of thin air for the user.
>
> With it I'm able to sync arpeggios with drum patterns and LFOs
>
> So user can run:
>
> osc (syn 1)
>
> - and syn is going to synchronize the rate with global bpm
> which can be set by single line for the whole project.
> It's hidden global variable that's built in to the library.
> And it allows to easily synchronize delay times or rates for LFO's
> or drum patterns.
>
> But enough talking here is the code, hope you enjoy :)
>
> PS: code requires Csound 6.10 to run

Re: [Csnd] Viva text based music or writing trance in TTY console!

Anton Kholomiov
Thanks, for stopping by Steven and feedback! I really appreciate your time since many things
I do are based on smart investment of your time :)
Thanks for fast diode, zladder and friends! This example uses some of them!

@Guillermo

Yes,  but my library is kind of batteries included, so many line overhead that you see
comes with library functions like implementation of drum sounds or bass patch, or
organizing music in bpm-aligned patterns and stuff like this

So there are many abstractions out of the box that I build upon.I just import them as third party libs.