[Csnd] USB and Linux

Arthur Hunkins
Two questions:

1) Are Windows and Mac USB-compliant MIDI devices also (automatically) compliant on Linux?

2) Should online MIDI device editors, using Chrome and Opera browsers that include MIDI capability (other browsers do not yet, apparently), also communicate with MIDI devices on Linux? In other words, is communication (likely involving sysex) browser-dependent, OS dependent or both?

(My use case is the simple Online Settings routine for the MC-8 control surface by nakedboards.org found here:
It sets and interrogates the CC numbers for 8 sliders on the MC-8.)

Re: [Csnd] USB and Linux

Michael Gogins-2
What they call "class-compliant" devices should work on Linux.

As to the second question, I don't know.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 6:26 PM, Arthur Hunkins
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> 1) Are Windows and Mac USB-compliant MIDI devices also (automatically)
> compliant on Linux?
>
> 2) Should online MIDI device editors, using Chrome and Opera browsers that
> include MIDI capability (other browsers do not yet, apparently), also
> communicate with MIDI devices on Linux? In other words, is communication
> (likely involving sysex) browser-dependent, OS dependent or both?
>
> (My use case is the simple Online Settings routine for the MC-8 control
> surface by nakedboards.org found here:
> http://www.nakedboards.org/mc8.html
> It sets and interrogates the CC numbers for 8 sliders on the MC-8.)
>
> Art Hunkins
> http://www.arthunkins.com

Re: [Csnd] USB and Linux

Dave Seidel
I have used several MIDI devices under Linux with no difficulty (except that, in general, I can't run the Windows-based editors that come with them). I've never used a device editor that ran in the browser, though, so I can't comment on that.

- Dave

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1) Are Windows and Mac USB-compliant MIDI devices also (automatically)
> compliant on Linux?
>
> 2) Should online MIDI device editors, using Chrome and Opera browsers that
> include MIDI capability (other browsers do not yet, apparently), also
> communicate with MIDI devices on Linux? In other words, is communication
> (likely involving sysex) browser-dependent, OS dependent or both?
>
> (My use case is the simple Online Settings routine for the MC-8 control
> surface by nakedboards.org found here:
> http://www.nakedboards.org/mc8.html
> It sets and interrogates the CC numbers for 8 sliders on the MC-8.)
>
> Art Hunkins
> http://www.arthunkins.com
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can

Re: [Csnd] USB and Linux

Arthur Hunkins
Are there downloadable MIDI device editors that work under Linux?

If so, for what devices?

Art Hunkins

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1) Are Windows and Mac USB-compliant MIDI devices also (automatically)
> compliant on Linux?
>
> 2) Should online MIDI device editors, using Chrome and Opera browsers that
> include MIDI capability (other browsers do not yet, apparently), also
> communicate with MIDI devices on Linux? In other words, is communication
> (likely involving sysex) browser-dependent, OS dependent or both?
>
> (My use case is the simple Online Settings routine for the MC-8 control
> surface by nakedboards.org found here:
> http://www.nakedboards.org/mc8.html
> It sets and interrogates the CC numbers for 8 sliders on the MC-8.)
>
> Art Hunkins
> http://www.arthunkins.com
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can

Re: [Csnd] USB and Linux

mskala
On Thu, 18 Jan 2018, Arthur Hunkins wrote:
> Are there downloadable MIDI device editors that work under Linux?
> If so, for what devices?

Ctrlr, from ctrlr.org, seems to work with Linux and supports a large
number of different devices through separately-downloadable "panel" files.
I'm using it with a D-05.

--
Matthew Skala
[hidden email]                 People before principles.

Re: [Csnd] USB and Linux

00000008a49663bc-dmarc-request

I have an Alesis Io4 that works under linux (class compliant, no drivers), i use it or an ultra cheap usb to midi cable to edit the patches of a behringer FCB1010 pedalboard using this http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm under wine.

Stefano

Art Hunkins