[Csnd] Tonematrix. musical game reimplemented with Csound

[Csnd] Tonematrix. musical game reimplemented with Csound

Anton Kholomiov
I'd like to share a little toy re-implemented with Csound.
It's a pair of step sequencers. One for drums and another one for bells.
The original game is called Musical squares or tonematrix.
I've added drums and slightly changed the scale.
It's another type of pentatonic.
It's an indian scale called Hamsadhvani if you are curious.
It's in just intonation.

To run, download the file in the attachment. and run csound with it:

> csound tonematrix.csd

The second file contains bells and hangdrum.

Congratulations to the Csound developers! Csound is such a genius monster. It
can digest a 20k file, very cool performance. If you have any issues with performance
I can generate lighter version of the game with less rows.

Enjoy,
Anton

tonematrix.csd (456K) Download Attachment
tonematrix-hangdrum.csd (453K) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] Tonematrix. musical game reimplemented with Csound

Anton Kholomiov
But it's better to turn off all the programms including browser for better performance

I'd like to share a little toy re-implemented with Csound.
It's a pair of step sequencers. One for drums and another one for bells.
The original game is called Musical squares or tonematrix.
I've added drums and slightly changed the scale.
It's another type of pentatonic.
It's an indian scale called Hamsadhvani if you are curious.
It's in just intonation.

To run, download the file in the attachment. and run csound with it:

> csound tonematrix.csd

The second file contains bells and hangdrum.

Congratulations to the Csound developers! Csound is such a genius monster. It
can digest a 20k file, very cool performance. If you have any issues with performance
I can generate lighter version of the game with less rows.

Enjoy,
Anton

Re: [Csnd] Tonematrix. musical game reimplemented with Csound

Nice stuff Anton. Thanks for sharing. I see a lot of duplication of code in here. I would have probably triggered different instances of a more generic higher-level instrument with different p-fields, rather than duplicate the entire instrument's code with slight modifications. I had no problems with performance though. It ran fine for me on my laptop. I do this kind of thing with Cabbage quite a bit. I do like step sequencers. I've attached the code I used for a simple one recently. It's a matrix of 100 toggle boxes. But the code it quite succinct. You can discard the Cabbage parts, but maybe you can find something of interest in how I check the values of each widget using arrays.

On 13 January 2016 at 17:44, Anton Kholomiov <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd like to share a little toy re-implemented with Csound.
It's a pair of step sequencers. One for drums and another one for bells.
The original game is called Musical squares or tonematrix.
I've added drums and slightly changed the scale.
It's another type of pentatonic.
It's an indian scale called Hamsadhvani if you are curious.
It's in just intonation.

To run, download the file in the attachment. and run csound with it:

> csound tonematrix.csd

The second file contains bells and hangdrum.

Congratulations to the Csound developers! Csound is such a genius monster. It
can digest a 20k file, very cool performance. If you have any issues with performance
I can generate lighter version of the game with less rows.

Enjoy,
Anton

stepSeq.csd (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] Tonematrix. musical game reimplemented with Csound

gsenna
Really fun to play Anton! It doesn't seem to be so resource-hungry either. I've an i3 and then Firefox, email client, Cabbage, etc. also opened. Cpu load is 15%-20% only.

Cheers.

On 13/01/16 15:04, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
But it's better to turn off all the programms including browser for better performance

I'd like to share a little toy re-implemented with Csound.
It's a pair of step sequencers. One for drums and another one for bells.
The original game is called Musical squares or tonematrix.
I've added drums and slightly changed the scale.
It's another type of pentatonic.
It's an indian scale called Hamsadhvani if you are curious.
It's in just intonation.

To run, download the file in the attachment. and run csound with it:

> csound tonematrix.csd

The second file contains bells and hangdrum.

Congratulations to the Csound developers! Csound is such a genius monster. It
can digest a 20k file, very cool performance. If you have any issues with performance
I can generate lighter version of the game with less rows.

Enjoy,
Anton

Re: [Csnd] Tonematrix. musical game reimplemented with Csound

Anton Kholomiov
@Rory

Thanks for sharing the code. I should learn to use arrays)
But without having array of widgets I need to write out those 16*16 buttons,
but the duplication for triggering instruments could be avoided indeed!

@Guillermo

I'm glad to know! What version of csound are you using? It loads my cpu up to 70%.

Really fun to play Anton! It doesn't seem to be so resource-hungry either. I've an i3 and then Firefox, email client, Cabbage, etc. also opened. Cpu load is 15%-20% only.

Cheers.

On 13/01/16 15:04, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
But it's better to turn off all the programms including browser for better performance

I'd like to share a little toy re-implemented with Csound.
It's a pair of step sequencers. One for drums and another one for bells.
The original game is called Musical squares or tonematrix.
I've added drums and slightly changed the scale.
It's another type of pentatonic.
It's an indian scale called Hamsadhvani if you are curious.
It's in just intonation.

To run, download the file in the attachment. and run csound with it:

> csound tonematrix.csd

The second file contains bells and hangdrum.

Congratulations to the Csound developers! Csound is such a genius monster. It
can digest a 20k file, very cool performance. If you have any issues with performance
I can generate lighter version of the game with less rows.

Enjoy,
Anton

Re: [Csnd] Tonematrix. musical game reimplemented with Csound

rorywalsh
Can fltk widgets be declared within an instrument? If so you could use an global k-rate array and some loops to setup all your buttons?

On 13 January 2016 at 20:03, Anton Kholomiov <[hidden email]> wrote:
@Rory

Thanks for sharing the code. I should learn to use arrays)
But without having array of widgets I need to write out those 16*16 buttons,
but the duplication for triggering instruments could be avoided indeed!

@Guillermo

I'm glad to know! What version of csound are you using? It loads my cpu up to 70%.

Really fun to play Anton! It doesn't seem to be so resource-hungry either. I've an i3 and then Firefox, email client, Cabbage, etc. also opened. Cpu load is 15%-20% only.

Cheers.

On 13/01/16 15:04, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
But it's better to turn off all the programms including browser for better performance

I'd like to share a little toy re-implemented with Csound.
It's a pair of step sequencers. One for drums and another one for bells.
The original game is called Musical squares or tonematrix.
I've added drums and slightly changed the scale.
It's another type of pentatonic.
It's an indian scale called Hamsadhvani if you are curious.
It's in just intonation.

To run, download the file in the attachment. and run csound with it:

> csound tonematrix.csd

The second file contains bells and hangdrum.

Congratulations to the Csound developers! Csound is such a genius monster. It
can digest a 20k file, very cool performance. If you have any issues with performance
I can generate lighter version of the game with less rows.

Enjoy,
Anton

Re: [Csnd] Tonematrix. musical game reimplemented with Csound

gsenna
Csound 6.06. Ubuntu Studio 14.04.3. Jackd running.
I didn't turn on all the buttons! But with 5-6 per column in each window (drums and bells simultaneously) I am at 20%.

On 13/01/16 17:03, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
@Rory

Thanks for sharing the code. I should learn to use arrays)
But without having array of widgets I need to write out those 16*16 buttons,
but the duplication for triggering instruments could be avoided indeed!

@Guillermo

I'm glad to know! What version of csound are you using? It loads my cpu up to 70%.

Really fun to play Anton! It doesn't seem to be so resource-hungry either. I've an i3 and then Firefox, email client, Cabbage, etc. also opened. Cpu load is 15%-20% only.

Cheers.

On 13/01/16 15:04, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
But it's better to turn off all the programms including browser for better performance

I'd like to share a little toy re-implemented with Csound.
It's a pair of step sequencers. One for drums and another one for bells.
The original game is called Musical squares or tonematrix.
I've added drums and slightly changed the scale.
It's another type of pentatonic.
It's an indian scale called Hamsadhvani if you are curious.
It's in just intonation.

To run, download the file in the attachment. and run csound with it:

> csound tonematrix.csd

The second file contains bells and hangdrum.

Congratulations to the Csound developers! Csound is such a genius monster. It
can digest a 20k file, very cool performance. If you have any issues with performance
I can generate lighter version of the game with less rows.

Enjoy,
Anton

Re: [Csnd] Tonematrix. musical game reimplemented with Csound

rorywalsh
I didn't turn on all buttons either, good point! To be honest, I've noticed that Csound can choke a little when I'm triggering lots of instruments(>20) simultaneously several times a second but I guess it's to be expected? Or maybe not. I should prepare an example.

On 13 January 2016 at 20:48, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Csound 6.06. Ubuntu Studio 14.04.3. Jackd running.
I didn't turn on all the buttons! But with 5-6 per column in each window (drums and bells simultaneously) I am at 20%.

On 13/01/16 17:03, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
@Rory

Thanks for sharing the code. I should learn to use arrays)
But without having array of widgets I need to write out those 16*16 buttons,
but the duplication for triggering instruments could be avoided indeed!

@Guillermo

I'm glad to know! What version of csound are you using? It loads my cpu up to 70%.

Really fun to play Anton! It doesn't seem to be so resource-hungry either. I've an i3 and then Firefox, email client, Cabbage, etc. also opened. Cpu load is 15%-20% only.

Cheers.

On 13/01/16 15:04, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
But it's better to turn off all the programms including browser for better performance

I'd like to share a little toy re-implemented with Csound.
It's a pair of step sequencers. One for drums and another one for bells.
The original game is called Musical squares or tonematrix.
I've added drums and slightly changed the scale.
It's another type of pentatonic.
It's an indian scale called Hamsadhvani if you are curious.
It's in just intonation.

To run, download the file in the attachment. and run csound with it:

> csound tonematrix.csd

The second file contains bells and hangdrum.

Congratulations to the Csound developers! Csound is such a genius monster. It
can digest a 20k file, very cool performance. If you have any issues with performance
I can generate lighter version of the game with less rows.

Enjoy,
Anton

Re: [Csnd] Tonematrix. musical game reimplemented with Csound

Doctor B
Anton,

WOW. Another fantastic and super musical example!  Thanks so much for making it and for sharing it.

Dr.B.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor of Electronic Production and Design
Professional Writing and Music Technology Division
Berklee College of Music
1140 Boylston Street, FB-75
Boston, MA 02215-3693
Office @ 161 Mass Ave - 4th Floor
617-747-2384 (office)  774-488-9166 (cell)
[hidden email] (email)
https://www.facebook.com/richard.boulanger.58 (facebook)
President of Boulanger Labs - http://boulangerlabs.com
Director of Csounds.com - http://csounds.com