[Csnd] This Is an Ex-Parrot

Jim Aikin
I'm unable to get Python to run in Csound 6.10.0 using CsoundQt 0.95 under Windows 7 64-bit. When I insert the pyinit opcode into the "Hello World" .csd, the message is:

error: syntax error, unexpected NEWLINE (token "") from file C:/Users/Jim/Documents/csound/Hello World.csd (1)

line 17:

>>>pyinit <<<

Unexpected untyped word pyinit when expecting a variable

When I run any .csd that will run, I get this at the top of the console:

WARNING: could not open library 'C:\Csound6\plugins64\\py.dll' (-1)

Here's where it gets puzzling: (1) Yes, I installed the Python components when I installed Csound. (2) py.dll is definitely in plugins64 -- though that double backslash in the error message is a bit odd, as it suggests a nameless directory or something. (3) Yes, I've downloaded and installed Python 2.7.14. (4) However, Python 2.7.14 is _only_ available in a 32-bit version, and Csound 6.10.0 is _only_ available in a 64-bit version.

This would seem clearly to imply that the Python opcodes can in no circumstance be used in Csound 6.10 in Windows. Am I correct in concluding this? If so, isn't this a huge problem?

The 32-bit "minimal" version of Csound 6.08.1 for Windows does not come with an installer. That would qualify it as minimal, I suppose. What else it may be missing, I wouldn't know. The readme for 6.08 tells me that I will need to add the bin directory to my system path (which I don't know how to do) and also create an OPCODE6DIR64 system variable that points to this 'lib' folder (which I also don't know how to do). Step-by-step instructions would be useful.

Alternatively, I could run the 6.08.1 32-bit installer. Where it might be archived, I would have no idea. There seems to be no link to it on the github page.

I note also that csound~ seems only to be available in a 64-bit version. I have this weird idea that someday in the not too distant future I might like to use a Python opcode or two while running csound~ in Max. Am I right in assuming that that is not currently possible -- that I have to choose between Python and csound~? And if so, how would I configure my system so as to point csound~ to 6.10 while otherwise using 6.08?

Have the Python opcodes joined the choir invisible? Are they pushin' up daisies? Or are they just pinin' for the fjords?

--Jim Aikin

Re: [Csnd] This Is an Ex-Parrot

Victor Lazzarini-2
Python for Windows 64bit seems to be available here:

It can’t be the case that the Python opcodes cannot be run on Windows as Rory reported running them ok.