[Csnd] Sync two csound programs by tempo

[Csnd] Sync two csound programs by tempo

Anton Kholomiov
I'd like to be able to sync two Csound programs.

Typical usage: The one program generates the drum beats
and I'd like to launch another csound program that generates
a bass line. And lately I'd like to stop the drums and leave only the bass
and maybe later launch the drums agai in tempo.

Is there some way to launch them in tempo?

I've researched a bit on the topic and found that the JACK has
sync capabilities and there is a jacktransport opcode and
the Jacko family of opcodes features the transport.
But I don't get how to use it for my scenario.

PS: It can be done with a single Csound program with a single metro going on .
But I'd like to createa set of small modules that route audio with JACK and can be
controlled with OSC. So I'd like to have a bass module that is independent of drums.
Things like that.

Cheers,
Anton

Re: [Csnd] Sync two csound programs by tempo

gsenna
Hi Anton,

If it's just the tempo then the Ableton Link Opcodes might be the
easiest. But (I think) you can't do Transport stuff with those (start,
stop, reposition, etc).

I've been working in a similar problem for a while now. If you can
afford to use -+rtaudio=jack then I can give you the source file for an
opcode that outputs Jack Transport frames/time at k-rate. That would be
your shared metro. As I'm working with Cabbage-produced VSTs that
approach didn't work for me because -+rtaudio=jack seems to block the
audio thread of the VST host.

I think I've now found a working solution, but I'm currently out of free
time to try it out. So, if you can't make it work with the Ableton Link
opcodes, please send me an email next month or so and ask me again. My
plan is to present this solution in Montevideo.

Cheers.

On 21/03/17 07:17, Anton Kholomiov wrote:

> Is there a doc page on those opcodes?

>> You can now do this with the Ableton Link opcodes. Only tested on Linux at
>> this time but build and runs on Windows.
>>
>> Best,
>> Mike
>>
>> On Mar 21, 2017 9:07 PM, "Anton Kholomiov" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to be able to sync two Csound programs.
>>>
>>> Typical usage: The one program generates the drum beats
>>> and I'd like to launch another csound program that generates
>>> a bass line. And lately I'd like to stop the drums and leave only the bass
>>> and maybe later launch the drums agai in tempo.
>>>
>>> Is there some way to launch them in tempo?
>>>
>>> I've researched a bit on the topic and found that the JACK has
>>> sync capabilities and there is a jacktransport opcode and
>>> the Jacko family of opcodes features the transport.
>>> But I don't get how to use it for my scenario.
>>>
>>> PS: It can be done with a single Csound program with a single metro going
>>> on .
>>> But I'd like to createa set of small modules that route audio with JACK
>>> and can be
>>> controlled with OSC. So I'd like to have a bass module that is
>>> independent of drums.
>>> Things like that.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Anton
>>>
>>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
>>> can be posted here
>> Csound mailing list [hidden email] https://listserv.heanet.ie/
>> cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/
>> csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Sync two csound programs by tempo

Anton Kholomiov
Hi!

-+rtaudio=jack is ok for me.

So I guess that ableton link opcodes are not a part of the stable release at the moment..
and there is no docs. ok maybe when they are going to be released I'll try it out.

Hi Anton,

If it's just the tempo then the Ableton Link Opcodes might be the
easiest. But (I think) you can't do Transport stuff with those (start,
stop, reposition, etc).

I've been working in a similar problem for a while now. If you can
afford to use -+rtaudio=jack then I can give you the source file for an
opcode that outputs Jack Transport frames/time at k-rate. That would be
your shared metro. As I'm working with Cabbage-produced VSTs that
approach didn't work for me because -+rtaudio=jack seems to block the
audio thread of the VST host.

I think I've now found a working solution, but I'm currently out of free
time to try it out. So, if you can't make it work with the Ableton Link
opcodes, please send me an email next month or so and ask me again. My
plan is to present this solution in Montevideo.

Cheers.

On 21/03/17 07:17, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> Is there a doc page on those opcodes?

>> You can now do this with the Ableton Link opcodes. Only tested on Linux at
>> this time but build and runs on Windows.
>>
>> Best,
>> Mike
>>
>> On Mar 21, 2017 9:07 PM, "Anton Kholomiov" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to be able to sync two Csound programs.
>>>
>>> Typical usage: The one program generates the drum beats
>>> and I'd like to launch another csound program that generates
>>> a bass line. And lately I'd like to stop the drums and leave only the bass
>>> and maybe later launch the drums agai in tempo.
>>>
>>> Is there some way to launch them in tempo?
>>>
>>> I've researched a bit on the topic and found that the JACK has
>>> sync capabilities and there is a jacktransport opcode and
>>> the Jacko family of opcodes features the transport.
>>> But I don't get how to use it for my scenario.
>>>
>>> PS: It can be done with a single Csound program with a single metro going
>>> on .
>>> But I'd like to createa set of small modules that route audio with JACK
>>> and can be
>>> controlled with OSC. So I'd like to have a bass module that is
>>> independent of drums.
>>> Things like that.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Anton
>>>
>>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
>>> can be posted here
>> Csound mailing list [hidden email] https://listserv.heanet.ie/
>> cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/
>> csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Sync two csound programs by tempo

Anton Kholomiov
The ableton link seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Michael, for putting it all together.
Hope to try it out as it comes out.

By the way it gives a way to "fake" a livecoding. As with example I've proposed. We can start drums,
then bass then we can stop bass, edit it it and launch again in tempo.