[Csnd] Strings within strings

thorin kerr
Dear list

I'm having some string problems, and have run out of workarounds.  I'm using the Csound for Android app 6.09.0beta2 so I'm interested if my problems are also your problems.

I'm trying to put a string within a string in a parameter for schedule (Or the scoreline opcode, but I get the same behaviour). As simple Svar assignments the strings all seem legal, but using them in a score event gives me an "Ilegal RT Scoreline" error.

Except in one scenario - "A {{curly}} within quotes". That would be a fine workaround, except quoted strings are crashing Csound for me. Looks like a string length issue. In the CSD attached, removing a character or two from the string in instrument 2 stops the crash.

Or... am I just missing some sort of escape character?

Ideally I'm trying to do this sort of thing...

instr 1
Seval = p4
icompiled compilestr Seval
endin

;A string within a string needed here -
schedule 1, 2, 1, {{
instr 2
aout oscil 0.8, 440
chnmix aout, "limiter"
endin
}}

instr 3
ain chnget "limiter"
aout = taninv(taninv(ain))
outs aout, aout
chnclear "limiter"
endin

Help much appreciated.

Thorin

stringwoes.csd (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] Strings within strings

joachim-3
hi thorin -

i can confirm what you say and show in your example about the nested
strings.

but instr 2 does not crash for me, when i uncomment it.

i am on linux, using this version of csound:
--Csound version 6.09.1 (double samples) Aug 26 2017
[commit: a5b29e123ba910934989a2491b83ad70bdcf97dc]

perhaps you have an older one?

best -
        joachim

On 12/10/17 05:18, thorin kerr wrote:

> Dear list
>
> I'm having some string problems, and have run out of workarounds.  I'm
> using the Csound for Android app 6.09.0beta2 so I'm interested if my
> problems are also your problems.
>
> I'm trying to put a string within a string in a parameter for schedule
> (Or the scoreline opcode, but I get the same behaviour). As simple Svar
> assignments the strings all seem legal, but using them in a score event
> gives me an "Ilegal RT Scoreline" error.
>
> Except in one scenario - "A {{curly}} within quotes". That would be a
> fine workaround, except quoted strings are crashing Csound for me. Looks
> like a string length issue. In the CSD attached, removing a character or
> two from the string in instrument 2 stops the crash.
>
> Or... am I just missing some sort of escape character?
>
> Ideally I'm trying to do this sort of thing...
>
> instr 1
> Seval = p4
> icompiled compilestr Seval
> endin
>
> ;A string within a string needed here -
> schedule 1, 2, 1, {{
> instr 2
> aout oscil 0.8, 440
> chnmix aout, "limiter"
> endin
> }}
>
> instr 3
> ain chnget "limiter"
> aout = taninv(taninv(ain))
> outs aout, aout
> chnclear "limiter"
> endin
>
> Help much appreciated.
>
> Thorin
>
> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Strings within strings

Hi Thorin,

I tested with 6.09.1 and latest from Git and both give illegal RT
errors here.  Could you file a bug in the issue tracker?  We could
probably get this into 6.10 as we need to get a few things sorted out
anyways.