Quantcast

[Csnd] Strange behaviour using many csound units with jack and osc

[Csnd] Strange behaviour using many csound units with jack and osc

Anton Kholomiov
Hi!

I'm trying to investigate the realm of moular design.
I create an environment for live performance. I do it on linux.
The environment is composed from many csound units
that are connected with JACK and controlled by OSC.

Also I use aj-snapshot to store the JACK connections.
This useful program can take a picture of current JACK setup,
store it in the xml file and restore it later.

I'd like to launch and setup everything with script.
It looks like this:

~~~

csound test/units/pad-1.csd &
csound test/units/pad-2.csd &
csound test/units/pad-3.csd &
csound test/units/pad-4.csd &

csound ../hs/quad-flow.csd &
csound ../haunted/haunt.csd --omacro:PORT=5401 -odac:nil &
csound ../mixer/mixer.csd --omacro:PORT=5402 &
sleep 1
aj-snapshot -r test/jack-config/flow-test.xml
dragon-osc -i test.json  --verbose -c quad-flow=5400,haunted=5401,mixer=5402 &

~~~

The problem is that when I launch it only part of the pad's are started
usually one or none at all. pads are first four lines

but when I do it line by line by hand everything goes ok.
But when I run the script it fails to launch some of my csound units.

What can it be?
Have you experienced something like this?

Cheers
Anton

Re: [Csnd] Strange behaviour using many csound units with jack and osc

Anton Kholomiov
maybe i need some sleep statments? or how can it be that one
csound processes stop the other ones

[...]

Eight processes -- how many cores do you have?   I suspect pocess
scheduling is an issue ere

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Anton Kholomiov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to investigate the realm of moular design.
> I create an environment for live performance. I do it on linux.
> The environment is composed from many csound units
> that are connected with JACK and controlled by OSC.
>
> Also I use aj-snapshot to store the JACK connections.
> This useful program can take a picture of current JACK setup,
> store it in the xml file and restore it later.
>
> I'd like to launch and setup everything with script.
> It looks like this:
>
> ~~~
>
> csound test/units/pad-1.csd &
> csound test/units/pad-2.csd &
> csound test/units/pad-3.csd &
> csound test/units/pad-4.csd &
>
> csound ../hs/quad-flow.csd &
> csound ../haunted/haunt.csd --omacro:PORT=5401 -odac:nil &
> csound ../mixer/mixer.csd --omacro:PORT=5402 &
> sleep 1
> aj-snapshot -r test/jack-config/flow-test.xml
> dragon-osc -i test.json  --verbose -c quad-flow=5400,haunted=5401,mixer=5402 &
>
> ~~~
>
> The problem is that when I launch it only part of the pad's are started
> usually one or none at all. pads are first four lines
>
> but when I do it line by line by hand everything goes ok.
> But when I run the script it fails to launch some of my csound units.
>
> What can it be?
> Have you experienced something like this?
>
> Cheers
> Anton

Re: [Csnd] Strange behaviour using many csound units with jack and osc

Anton Kholomiov
I've got 8

[...]

Csound mailing list [hidden email]
https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Strange behaviour using many csound units with jack and osc

gsenna
Hi Anton,

Could you attach the real bash script?

On 30/03/17 13:56, Anton Kholomiov wrote:

> But it's strange. Why is it working when I do everything manually. But can
> not work when I launch with the shell script. Also I'm not sure I
> understand the limits of multi-unit csound usage. How many of them am I
> allowed to launch at the same time?

>> I've got 8

>>> Eight processes -- how many cores do you have?   I suspect pocess
>>> scheduling is an issue ere
>>>

>>> On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Strange behaviour using many csound units with jack and osc

Anton Kholomiov
Hi Guillermo! It's a real scrip quoted within mardkdown triple ~~~

Hi Anton,

Could you attach the real bash script?

On 30/03/17 13:56, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> But it's strange. Why is it working when I do everything manually. But can
> not work when I launch with the shell script. Also I'm not sure I
> understand the limits of multi-unit csound usage. How many of them am I
> allowed to launch at the same time?

>> I've got 8

>>> Eight processes -- how many cores do you have?   I suspect pocess
>>> scheduling is an issue ere
>>>

>>> On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Strange behaviour using many csound units with jack and osc

Anton Kholomiov
At the first message

Hi Guillermo! It's a real scrip quoted within mardkdown triple ~~~

Hi Anton,

Could you attach the real bash script?

On 30/03/17 13:56, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> But it's strange. Why is it working when I do everything manually. But can
> not work when I launch with the shell script. Also I'm not sure I
> understand the limits of multi-unit csound usage. How many of them am I
> allowed to launch at the same time?

>> I've got 8

>>> Eight processes -- how many cores do you have?   I suspect pocess
>>> scheduling is an issue ere
>>>

>>> On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Strange behaviour using many csound units with jack and osc

Steven Yi
Hi Anton,

Are you using Csound's auto-connection for JACK? I wonder if that
might cause a time-related problem with the various Csound processes
trying to connect with the same name somehow.  (This is just a guess
though.)

steven

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Anton Kholomiov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> At the first message

>> Hi Guillermo! It's a real scrip quoted within mardkdown triple ~~~

>>> Hi Anton,
>>>
>>> Could you attach the real bash script?

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Strange behaviour using many csound units with jack and osc

Anton Kholomiov
@Guillermo It features 7 csounds, aj-snapshot call (momentary) and long process dragon-osc it creates UI interface for controlling csound units by OSC. It's something like TouchOSC only for desktop

@Steven I'm calling all csound processes with -odac:nil  -iadc:nil  to avoid auto connection
here is the repo but it's would be hard to descipher. https://github.com/anton-k/ambicon

At the first message

Hi Guillermo! It's a real scrip quoted within mardkdown triple ~~~

Hi Anton,

Could you attach the real bash script?

On 30/03/17 13:56, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> But it's strange. Why is it working when I do everything manually. But can
> not work when I launch with the shell script. Also I'm not sure I
> understand the limits of multi-unit csound usage. How many of them am I
> allowed to launch at the same time?

>> I've got 8

>>> Eight processes -- how many cores do you have?   I suspect pocess
>>> scheduling is an issue ere
>>>

>>> On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Strange behaviour using many csound units with jack and osc

Anton Kholomiov
I've got four pads.
One quadrant mixer for pads. It has the XY-pad on it and it crossfades between four sound sources. Also I have XY-pad controlled thing that schedules FX-samples from four sources with probability.
If it's closer then the samples corresponding to that corner are more likely to play.
Also there is a grand mixer that mixes sounds from all sources (it's like usual mixer)

I'm trying to create environment for slow motion ambient concerts..

@Guillermo It features 7 csounds, aj-snapshot call (momentary) and long process dragon-osc it creates UI interface for controlling csound units by OSC. It's something like TouchOSC only for desktop

@Steven I'm calling all csound processes with -odac:nil  -iadc:nil  to avoid auto connection
here is the repo but it's would be hard to descipher. https://github.com/anton-k/ambicon

At the first message

Hi Guillermo! It's a real scrip quoted within mardkdown triple ~~~

Hi Anton,

Could you attach the real bash script?

On 30/03/17 13:56, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> But it's strange. Why is it working when I do everything manually. But can
> not work when I launch with the shell script. Also I'm not sure I
> understand the limits of multi-unit csound usage. How many of them am I
> allowed to launch at the same time?

>> I've got 8

>>> Eight processes -- how many cores do you have?   I suspect pocess
>>> scheduling is an issue ere
>>>

>>> On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Strange behaviour using many csound units with jack and osc

gsenna
The file quad-flow.csd is not in that repository, but for a short time I
think I was able to reproduce the issue you were seeing. Unfortunately,
now it's working without problems, so I don't know.

I couldn't copy the debug of the segfault but it was something to do
with Jack and 'invalid next size'. I guess a quick solution would be to
put a bunch of "sleep 1" commands between the pads' csd.

On 30/03/17 14:51, Anton Kholomiov wrote:

> I've got four pads.
> One quadrant mixer for pads. It has the XY-pad on it and it crossfades
> between four sound sources. Also I have XY-pad controlled thing that
> schedules FX-samples from four sources with probability.
> If it's closer then the samples corresponding to that corner are more
> likely to play.
> Also there is a grand mixer that mixes sounds from all sources (it's like
> usual mixer)
>
> I'm trying to create environment for slow motion ambient concerts..

>> @Guillermo It features 7 csounds, aj-snapshot call (momentary) and long
>> process dragon-osc it creates UI interface for controlling csound units by
>> OSC. It's something like TouchOSC only for desktop
>>
>> @Steven I'm calling all csound processes with -odac:nil  -iadc:nil  to
>> avoid auto connection
>> here is the repo but it's would be hard to descipher.
>> https://github.com/anton-k/ambicon

>>> At the first message

Re: [Csnd] Strange behaviour using many csound units with jack and osc

Anton Kholomiov
Thanks Guillermo!

Putting `sleep 0.1` after each pad invocation resolves the issue

Anton

The file quad-flow.csd is not in that repository, but for a short time I
think I was able to reproduce the issue you were seeing. Unfortunately,
now it's working without problems, so I don't know.

I couldn't copy the debug of the segfault but it was something to do
with Jack and 'invalid next size'. I guess a quick solution would be to
put a bunch of "sleep 1" commands between the pads' csd.

On 30/03/17 14:51, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> I've got four pads.
> One quadrant mixer for pads. It has the XY-pad on it and it crossfades
> between four sound sources. Also I have XY-pad controlled thing that
> schedules FX-samples from four sources with probability.
> If it's closer then the samples corresponding to that corner are more
> likely to play.
> Also there is a grand mixer that mixes sounds from all sources (it's like
> usual mixer)
>
> I'm trying to create environment for slow motion ambient concerts..

>> @Guillermo It features 7 csounds, aj-snapshot call (momentary) and long
>> process dragon-osc it creates UI interface for controlling csound units by
>> OSC. It's something like TouchOSC only for desktop
>>
>> @Steven I'm calling all csound processes with -odac:nil  -iadc:nil  to
>> avoid auto connection
>> here is the repo but it's would be hard to descipher.
>> https://github.com/anton-k/ambicon

>>> At the first message

Re: [Csnd] Strange behaviour using many csound units with jack and osc

gsenna
Great!

I've been trying to see what's going on. It's difficult to debug because
it only happens when multiple instances of csound/jack are started. I
think it's something like a race condition because the list of available
devices changes between it's requested, but before it's freed. Or
something like that.

This is Csound's debug info:

Jack output ports:
 0: dac0 (dac:system:playback_1)
 1: dac1 (dac:system:playback_2)
 2: dac2 (dac:system:playback_3)
 3: dac3 (dac:system:playback_4)
 4: dac4 (dac:PulseAudio JACK Source:front-left)
 5: dac5 (dac:PulseAudio JACK Source:front-right)
*** Error in `/usr/local/bin/csound': double free or corruption (!prev):
0x000055555594ba50 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x790cb)[0x7ffff72ed0cb]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x8275a)[0x7ffff72f675a]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(cfree+0x4c)[0x7ffff72fa18c]
/usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0(+0x6787a)[0x7ffff78c087a]
/usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/librtjack.so(+0x20f9)[0x7fffe4bfa0f9]
/usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/librtjack.so(+0x2e9a)[0x7fffe4bfae9a]
/usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/librtjack.so(+0x387e)[0x7fffe4bfb87e]
/usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0(+0x7d5a6)[0x7ffff78d65a6]
/usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0(+0x6aac2)[0x7ffff78c3ac2]
/usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0(csoundStart+0x805)[0x7ffff7a36481]
/usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0(csoundCompile+0x42)[0x7ffff7a364c9]
/usr/local/bin/csound(+0x17de)[0x5555555557de]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf1)[0x7ffff72943f1]
/usr/local/bin/csound(_start+0x2a)[0x55555555528a]

And this is gdb:

(gdb) bt
#0  __GI_raise (sig=sig@entry=6) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:58
#1  0x00007ffff72ab3ea in __GI_abort () at abort.c:89
#2  0x00007ffff72ed0d0 in __libc_message (do_abort=do_abort@entry=2,
    fmt=fmt@entry=0x7ffff7402368 "*** Error in `%s': %s: 0x%s ***\n") at
../sysdeps/posix/libc_fatal.c:175
#3  0x00007ffff72f675a in malloc_printerr (ar_ptr=<optimized out>,
ptr=<optimized out>,
    str=0x7ffff7402498 "double free or corruption (!prev)", action=3) at
malloc.c:5046
#4  _int_free (av=<optimized out>, p=<optimized out>,
have_lock=<optimized out>) at malloc.c:3902
#5  0x00007ffff72fa18c in __GI___libc_free (mem=<optimized out>) at
malloc.c:2982
#6  0x00007ffff78c087a in mfree () from /usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0
#7  0x00007fffe4bfa0f9 in listPorts () from
/usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/librtjack.so
#8  0x00007fffe4bfae9a in openJackStreams () from
/usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/librtjack.so
#9  0x00007fffe4bfb87e in playopen_ () from
/usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/librtjack.so
#10 0x00007ffff78d65a6 in sfopenout () from
/usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0
#11 0x00007ffff78c3ac2 in musmon () from /usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0
#12 0x00007ffff7a36481 in csoundStart () from
/usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0
#13 0x00007ffff7a364c9 in csoundCompile () from
/usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0
#14 0x00005555555557de in main ()

#0 __GI_raise (sig=sig@entry=6) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:58
#1 0x00007ffff72ab3ea in __GI_abort () at abort.c:89
#2 0x00007ffff72ed0d0 in __libc_message (do_abort=do_abort@entry=2,
#3 0x00007ffff72f675a in malloc_printerr (ar_ptr=<optimized out>,
ptr=<optimized out>,
#4 _int_free (av=<optimized out>, p=<optimized out>,
have_lock=<optimized out>) at malloc.c:3902
#5 0x00007ffff72fa18c in __GI___libc_free (mem=<optimized out>) at
malloc.c:2982
#6 0x00007ffff78c087a in mfree () from /usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0
#7 0x00007fffe4bfa0f9 in listPorts () from
/usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/librtjack.so
#8 0x00007fffe4bfae9a in openJackStreams () from
/usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/librtjack.so
#9 0x00007fffe4bfb87e in playopen_ () from
/usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/librtjack.so
#10 0x00007ffff78d65a6 in sfopenout () from
/usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0
#11 0x00007ffff78c3ac2 in musmon () from /usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0
#12 0x00007ffff7a36481 in csoundStart () from
/usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0
#13 0x00007ffff7a364c9 in csoundCompile () from
/usr/local/lib/libcsound64.so.6.0
#14 0x00005555555557de in main ()

[...]

Hi John,

I think this is a race condition because the list of audio devices grows
differently after all the simultaneous Csound instances are being
started. The problem is that valgrind takes way too much time to start
running and so I can't trigger the error. I'll keep trying though.

I do see an error in Valgrind, but I think it's a "false positive"
(https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/pull/182). There was a PR and a
merge 20 days ago, so I hope to see that error going away the next time
I get a system update.

Cheers.