[Csnd] Still need help with midi on windows

[Csnd] Still need help with midi on windows

Tobiah
I uninstalled Csound, and did a fresh install
with the installer here:

     http://csound.github.io/download.html

Using the full installer which downloaded as

     Setup_Csound6_x64_6.09.1.exe

It automatically set this environment variable:

     OPCODE6DIR64=C:\Program Files\Csound6_x64\plugins64\

I look there and see a big list of .dll files.  pmidi.dll
is not among them however.

Then I go to run csound with the -Q flag:

$ csound -Q100 any.orc any.sco
virtual_keyboard real time MIDI plugin for Csound
0dBFS level = 32768.0
--Csound version 6.09.1 (double samples) Jul 10 2017
[commit: 8e8f7a02dc8f0677d10224f7ab18b63f63c80728]
libsndfile-1.0.27
orchname:  any.orc
rtaudio: PortAudio module enabled ...
using callback interface
Elapsed time at end of orchestra compile: real: 0.008s, CPU: 0.008s
sorting score ...
         ... done
Elapsed time at end of score sort: real: 0.009s, CPU: 0.009s
end of score.              overall amps:  0.00000  0.00000
            overall samples out of range:        0        0
1 errors in performance
Elapsed time at end of performance: real: 0.009s, CPU: 0.009s
error: -+rtmidi='portmidi': unknown module
  *** error opening MIDI out device: -1 (Unknown MIDI error)

I expect to see a list of midi ports for portmidi, but it says
that it's an unknown module.

I'm on Windows 10 Home.

Thanks for any help!

Tobiah

Re: [Csnd] Still need help with midi on windows

Tobiah
Hey does anyone at least have the pmidi.dll in
their opcode directory?  Maybe it would work if
I put a copy in mine.

Thanks,

TObiah

On 9/6/2017 4:15 PM, Tobiah wrote:

> I uninstalled Csound, and did a fresh install
> with the installer here:
>
>      http://csound.github.io/download.html
>
> Using the full installer which downloaded as
>
>      Setup_Csound6_x64_6.09.1.exe
>
> It automatically set this environment variable:
>
>      OPCODE6DIR64=C:\Program Files\Csound6_x64\plugins64\
>
> I look there and see a big list of .dll files.  pmidi.dll
> is not among them however.
>
> Then I go to run csound with the -Q flag:
>
> $ csound -Q100 any.orc any.sco
> virtual_keyboard real time MIDI plugin for Csound
> 0dBFS level = 32768.0
> --Csound version 6.09.1 (double samples) Jul 10 2017
> [commit: 8e8f7a02dc8f0677d10224f7ab18b63f63c80728]
> libsndfile-1.0.27
> orchname:  any.orc
> rtaudio: PortAudio module enabled ...
> using callback interface
> Elapsed time at end of orchestra compile: real: 0.008s, CPU: 0.008s
> sorting score ...
>          ... done
> Elapsed time at end of score sort: real: 0.009s, CPU: 0.009s
> end of score.              overall amps:  0.00000  0.00000
>             overall samples out of range:        0        0
> 1 errors in performance
> Elapsed time at end of performance: real: 0.009s, CPU: 0.009s
> error: -+rtmidi='portmidi': unknown module
>   *** error opening MIDI out device: -1 (Unknown MIDI error)
>

> I expect to see a list of midi ports for portmidi, but it says
> that it's an unknown module.
>
> I'm on Windows 10 Home.
>

> Thanks for any help!
>

> Tobiah

Re: [Csnd] Still need help with midi on windows

Tobiah
So I just installed version 6.02 from a previous installer.
That time I got *only* pmidi.dll in my opcodedir!

Still, it worked, but I had way less opcodes, says -z.

Next I tried 6.04.  Same thing.

Then I saw, Setup_Csound6_x64_6.07.0rc6.exe.  That one
gave me all of the .dll's in the plugin dir, plus pmidi.dll!

Yay, I'm working again.  Something has been whack with those
windows installers though. 6.06 is the latest release, and it's
broken.

Thanks,

Tobiah

Re: [Csnd] Still need help with midi on windows

Michael Gogins-2
The PortMidi DLL is not currently included the latest Windows
installers. I can't remember why exactly. Some time ago we switched to
using packages for third party dependencies and there isn't a package
for PortMidi, so that might be it.

We now are in the middle of moving the build for the Windows installer
from mingw64 to Microsoft Visual Studio. That build does have a
package for PortMidi. But this is not yet finished.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 8:32 PM, Tobiah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I just installed version 6.02 from a previous installer.
> That time I got *only* pmidi.dll in my opcodedir!
>
> Still, it worked, but I had way less opcodes, says -z.
>
> Next I tried 6.04.  Same thing.
>
> Then I saw, Setup_Csound6_x64_6.07.0rc6.exe.  That one
> gave me all of the .dll's in the plugin dir, plus pmidi.dll!
>
> Yay, I'm working again.  Something has been whack with those
> windows installers though. 6.06 is the latest release, and it's
> broken.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Tobiah

Re: [Csnd] Still need help with midi on windows

Arthur Hunkins
pmidi.dll is in my plugins64 folder. No problems here. (Windows 10)

I do have a less current version of Csound however (6.08) from Mike's installer.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 8:03 PM, Tobiah <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for weighing in.  It's been frustrating to come back
to csound and find this staple functionality missing.  I was
a little surprised that there wasn't more buzz about this, but
then I remembered that most people probably don't install the
latest version very often.  I just got caught in the limbo.

Thanks,

Tobiah

On 9/7/2017 5:52 PM, Michael Gogins wrote:

> The PortMidi DLL is not currently included the latest Windows
> installers. I can't remember why exactly. Some time ago we switched to
> using packages for third party dependencies and there isn't a package
> for PortMidi, so that might be it.
>
> We now are in the middle of moving the build for the Windows installer
> from mingw64 to Microsoft Visual Studio. That build does have a
> package for PortMidi. But this is not yet finished.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>

> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 8:32 PM, Tobiah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> So I just installed version 6.02 from a previous installer.
>> That time I got *only* pmidi.dll in my opcodedir!
>>
>> Still, it worked, but I had way less opcodes, says -z.
>>
>> Next I tried 6.04.  Same thing.
>>
>> Then I saw, Setup_Csound6_x64_6.07.0rc6.exe.  That one
>> gave me all of the .dll's in the plugin dir, plus pmidi.dll!
>>
>> Yay, I'm working again.  Something has been whack with those
>> windows installers though. 6.06 is the latest release, and it's
>> broken.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> Tobiah

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Still need help with midi on windows

Roger Kelly-2
Is this still broken in Csound 10.0?

I can't get a basic midi orch to work with any of the drivers.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 7:57 PM, Tobiah <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Roger Kelly
Also fails with 'portmidi'

<CsOptions>
-+rtmidi=winmme -Ma -odac
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>
;Example by Andrés Cabrera

sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

        massign   0, 1 ;assign all MIDI channels to instrument 1

instr 1
iCps    cpsmidi   ;get the frequency from the key pressed
iAmp    ampmidi   0dbfs * 0.3 ;get the amplitude
aOut    poscil    iAmp, iCps ;generate a sine tone
        outs      aOut, aOut ;write it to the output
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 5:20 AM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

 -Ma -odac
as <CsOptions> works for me (i.e., leave out rtmidi).

Also, you need a third parameter (function table #) for poscil, and of course a score.

Art Hunkins

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 9:29 PM, Roger Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

 *** error opening MIDI in device: -1 (Unknown MIDI error)

Still get this error after removing -+rtimidi.  Are you on Windows 10?

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 9:05 PM, Arthur Hunkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'm on Win 10.

It looks like you must not have a MIDI controller plugged in. (-Ma requires one, as does your instr 1.)

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 10:27 PM, Roger Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

AndreaS

Hi,

I'm on Win 10 too.

I tested Roger's example, with 'f0 z' in the Score section

and 'winmm' instead 'winmme'

and 'M0' instead 'Ma'

Running "--Csound version 6.09.1 (double samples) Jul 10 2017" it worked.

Then, in control panel I unistalled 6.09.1 version and installed 6.10.

The same .csd file it works, but in command line console it still appears:

--Csound version 6.09.1 (double samples) Jul 10 2017

This is the .csd that I used:

<CsOptions>
-+rtmidi=winmm -M0 -odac
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>
;Example by Andrés Cabrera

sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

        massign   0, 1 ;assign all MIDI channels to instrument 1

instr 1
iCps    cpsmidi   ;get the frequency from the key pressed
iAmp    ampmidi   0dbfs * 0.3 ;get the amplitude
aOut    poscil    iAmp, iCps ;generate a sine tone
        outs      aOut, aOut ;write it to the output
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
f0 z
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

Il 28/01/2018 10:37, Rory Walsh ha scritto:
[...]

I think that if no table is given to poscil then a sine table is used, like oscillator.

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

On Jan 28, 2018, 03:06, at 03:06, Arthur Hunkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -Ma -odac
>as <CsOptions> works for me (i.e., leave out rtmidi).
>
>Also, you need a third parameter (function table #) for poscil, and of
>course a score.
>
>Art Hunkins
>
>Art Hunkins
>http://www.arthunkins.com
>
>On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 9:29 PM, Roger Kelly
><[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> Also fails with 'portmidi'
>>
>> <CsOptions>
>> -+rtmidi=winmme -Ma -odac
>> </CsOptions>
>> <CsInstruments>
>> ;Example by Andrés Cabrera
>>
>> sr = 44100
>> ksmps = 32
>> nchnls = 2
>> 0dbfs = 1
>>
>>         massign   0, 1 ;assign all MIDI channels to instrument 1
>>
>> instr 1
>> iCps    cpsmidi   ;get the frequency from the key pressed
>> iAmp    ampmidi   0dbfs * 0.3 ;get the amplitude
>> aOut    poscil    iAmp, iCps ;generate a sine tone
>>         outs      aOut, aOut ;write it to the output
>> endin
>>
>> </CsInstruments>
>> <CsScore>
>> </CsScore>
>> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 5:20 AM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> can you post a simple example, I will try it here..

>switched to
>package

>installer

>>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>features
>>> can be posted here
>>>

>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>https://listserv.heanet.ie/
>> cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/
>> csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>
>Csound mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>Send bugs reports to
>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Still need help with midi on windows

AndreaS

the pdf manual is clear about poscil:

"ifn -- (optional) function table number. This defaults to -1 which indicates a sinewave." (p. 1759).

Instead there's an error about winmm:

"-+rtaudio=portaudio -odac2 -iadc2 -+rtmidi=winmme -M1 -Q1 -m0" (p. 33, 45, 46 and so on).

After I restarted pc with windows 10, I did an other test with the same .csd file.

-+rtmidi=winmm does not work with 6.10 version, I confirm Roger's test.

Greeting

Andrea S.