[Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

12

[Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

Anton Kholomiov
Can you help me?

I use many csound files as MIDI-synthesizers.
I use alsa sequencer midi driver.

Recently I've run into problem with MIDI device IDs.
I've changed the audio card and now it has midi in/outs
So I've got MIDI-keyboard and MIDI-capable audio card.
And when I plug them my PC seems to randomly switch
the identifiers for MIDI devices.

But in Csound I have to specify the precise number.
And sometimes it's not the number that  ALSA gives
to my MIDI-keyboard on the next PC start.
So I have to change the device IDs for all files.

Do you know some trick to connect Csound with
MIDI-keyboard in this case? More reliable way to do it

Thanks!
Anton

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

gsenna
Hi Anton,

Off the top of my head I can think of:

* Using JACK for midi?

* Fixing the assignments somehow. If it's USB something like:
http://www.familjenpalo.se/vpo/SoundAndMIDI

* Using raw MIDI instead of alsaseq.

* Calling a (non-portable) bash script with system_i and fixing the
connection with aconnect.

Cheers.

On 13/07/17 16:50, Anton Kholomiov wrote:

> Is it possible for example to connect to device by it's name
> instead of id?

>> Can you help me?
>>
>> I use many csound files as MIDI-synthesizers.
>> I use alsa sequencer midi driver.
>>
>> Recently I've run into problem with MIDI device IDs.
>> I've changed the audio card and now it has midi in/outs
>> So I've got MIDI-keyboard and MIDI-capable audio card.
>> And when I plug them my PC seems to randomly switch
>> the identifiers for MIDI devices.
>>
>> But in Csound I have to specify the precise number.
>> And sometimes it's not the number that  ALSA gives
>> to my MIDI-keyboard on the next PC start.
>> So I have to change the device IDs for all files.
>>
>> Do you know some trick to connect Csound with
>> MIDI-keyboard in this case? More reliable way to do it
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Anton

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

Anton Kholomiov
Thanks Guillermo I will investigate the options.

Do you think that JACK for midi is more appropriate?
I have never tried it with Csound

Hi Anton,

Off the top of my head I can think of:

* Using JACK for midi?

* Fixing the assignments somehow. If it's USB something like:
http://www.familjenpalo.se/vpo/SoundAndMIDI

* Using raw MIDI instead of alsaseq.

* Calling a (non-portable) bash script with system_i and fixing the
connection with aconnect.

Cheers.

On 13/07/17 16:50, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> Is it possible for example to connect to device by it's name
> instead of id?

>> Can you help me?
>>
>> I use many csound files as MIDI-synthesizers.
>> I use alsa sequencer midi driver.
>>
>> Recently I've run into problem with MIDI device IDs.
>> I've changed the audio card and now it has midi in/outs
>> So I've got MIDI-keyboard and MIDI-capable audio card.
>> And when I plug them my PC seems to randomly switch
>> the identifiers for MIDI devices.
>>
>> But in Csound I have to specify the precise number.
>> And sometimes it's not the number that  ALSA gives
>> to my MIDI-keyboard on the next PC start.
>> So I have to change the device IDs for all files.
>>
>> Do you know some trick to connect Csound with
>> MIDI-keyboard in this case? More reliable way to do it
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Anton

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

gsenna
Scratch that. I've tried alsaseq and this one worked for me: csound
-+rtmidi=alsaseq -M'Scarlett 2i4 USB'. Check the output of "aconnect -l"
to see if you can find the name of the card.

On 13/07/17 17:47, Anton Kholomiov wrote:

> Thanks Guillermo I will investigate the options.
>
> Do you think that JACK for midi is more appropriate?
> I have never tried it with Csound

>> Hi Anton,
>>
>> Off the top of my head I can think of:
>>
>> * Using JACK for midi?
>>
>> * Fixing the assignments somehow. If it's USB something like:
>> http://www.familjenpalo.se/vpo/SoundAndMIDI
>>
>> * Using raw MIDI instead of alsaseq.
>>
>> * Calling a (non-portable) bash script with system_i and fixing the
>> connection with aconnect.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> On 13/07/17 16:50, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>>> Is it possible for example to connect to device by it's name
>>> instead of id?

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

Anton Kholomiov
Wow! That's exactly what I need!

Scratch that. I've tried alsaseq and this one worked for me: csound
-+rtmidi=alsaseq -M'Scarlett 2i4 USB'. Check the output of "aconnect -l"
to see if you can find the name of the card.

On 13/07/17 17:47, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> Thanks Guillermo I will investigate the options.
>
> Do you think that JACK for midi is more appropriate?
> I have never tried it with Csound

>> Hi Anton,
>>
>> Off the top of my head I can think of:
>>
>> * Using JACK for midi?
>>
>> * Fixing the assignments somehow. If it's USB something like:
>> http://www.familjenpalo.se/vpo/SoundAndMIDI
>>
>> * Using raw MIDI instead of alsaseq.
>>
>> * Calling a (non-portable) bash script with system_i and fixing the
>> connection with aconnect.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> On 13/07/17 16:50, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>>> Is it possible for example to connect to device by it's name
>>> instead of id?

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

Anton Kholomiov
Thanks alot!

Wow! That's exactly what I need!

Scratch that. I've tried alsaseq and this one worked for me: csound
-+rtmidi=alsaseq -M'Scarlett 2i4 USB'. Check the output of "aconnect -l"
to see if you can find the name of the card.

On 13/07/17 17:47, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> Thanks Guillermo I will investigate the options.
>
> Do you think that JACK for midi is more appropriate?
> I have never tried it with Csound

>> Hi Anton,
>>
>> Off the top of my head I can think of:
>>
>> * Using JACK for midi?
>>
>> * Fixing the assignments somehow. If it's USB something like:
>> http://www.familjenpalo.se/vpo/SoundAndMIDI
>>
>> * Using raw MIDI instead of alsaseq.
>>
>> * Calling a (non-portable) bash script with system_i and fixing the
>> connection with aconnect.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> On 13/07/17 16:50, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>>> Is it possible for example to connect to device by it's name
>>> instead of id?

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

gsenna
Sure. Cheers!

On 13/07/17 18:02, Anton Kholomiov wrote:

> Thanks alot!

>> Wow! That's exactly what I need!

>>> Scratch that. I've tried alsaseq and this one worked for me: csound
>>> -+rtmidi=alsaseq -M'Scarlett 2i4 USB'. Check the output of "aconnect -l"
>>> to see if you can find the name of the card.

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

Anton Kholomiov
Alas it's not working for me. I've tried

-M'UMX 250'

And it says

ALSASEQ: connection failed from 'UMX, port 0 (Operation not permitted)

Thanks alot!

Wow! That's exactly what I need!

Scratch that. I've tried alsaseq and this one worked for me: csound
-+rtmidi=alsaseq -M'Scarlett 2i4 USB'. Check the output of "aconnect -l"
to see if you can find the name of the card.

On 13/07/17 17:47, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> Thanks Guillermo I will investigate the options.
>
> Do you think that JACK for midi is more appropriate?
> I have never tried it with Csound

>> Hi Anton,
>>
>> Off the top of my head I can think of:
>>
>> * Using JACK for midi?
>>
>> * Fixing the assignments somehow. If it's USB something like:
>> http://www.familjenpalo.se/vpo/SoundAndMIDI
>>
>> * Using raw MIDI instead of alsaseq.
>>
>> * Calling a (non-portable) bash script with system_i and fixing the
>> connection with aconnect.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> On 13/07/17 16:50, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>>> Is it possible for example to connect to device by it's name
>>> instead of id?

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

Anton Kholomiov
It's on my list as follows

client 32: 'UMX 250' [type=kernel,card=4]
    0 'UMX 250 MIDI 1  '
    Connecting To: 128:0[real:0], 130:0
    Connected From: 128:0

Alas it's not working for me. I've tried

-M'UMX 250'

And it says

ALSASEQ: connection failed from 'UMX, port 0 (Operation not permitted)

Thanks alot!

Wow! That's exactly what I need!

Scratch that. I've tried alsaseq and this one worked for me: csound
-+rtmidi=alsaseq -M'Scarlett 2i4 USB'. Check the output of "aconnect -l"
to see if you can find the name of the card.

On 13/07/17 17:47, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> Thanks Guillermo I will investigate the options.
>
> Do you think that JACK for midi is more appropriate?
> I have never tried it with Csound

>> Hi Anton,
>>
>> Off the top of my head I can think of:
>>
>> * Using JACK for midi?
>>
>> * Fixing the assignments somehow. If it's USB something like:
>> http://www.familjenpalo.se/vpo/SoundAndMIDI
>>
>> * Using raw MIDI instead of alsaseq.
>>
>> * Calling a (non-portable) bash script with system_i and fixing the
>> connection with aconnect.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> On 13/07/17 16:50, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>>> Is it possible for example to connect to device by it's name
>>> instead of id?

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

gsenna
Latest Csound? I'm using Ubuntu Studio 17.04. My aconnect -l says:

client 28: 'Scarlett 2i4 USB' [type=kernel,card=3]
    0 'Scarlett 2i4 USB MIDI 1'
    Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
    Connected From: 128:0

I can't imagine why it would work for me, but not for you. My libasound2
version is 1.1.3-5.

On 13/07/17 18:14, Anton Kholomiov wrote:

> It's on my list as follows
>
> client 32: 'UMX 250' [type=kernel,card=4]
>     0 'UMX 250 MIDI 1  '
>     Connecting To: 128:0[real:0], 130:0
>     Connected From: 128:0

>> Alas it's not working for me. I've tried
>>
>> -M'UMX 250'
>>
>> And it says
>>
>> ALSASEQ: connection failed from 'UMX, port 0 (Operation not permitted)

>>> Thanks alot!

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

Anton Kholomiov
I'm using Csound 6.09. Not sure on the version of libasound2

Latest Csound? I'm using Ubuntu Studio 17.04. My aconnect -l says:

client 28: 'Scarlett 2i4 USB' [type=kernel,card=3]
    0 'Scarlett 2i4 USB MIDI 1'
    Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
    Connected From: 128:0

I can't imagine why it would work for me, but not for you. My libasound2
version is 1.1.3-5.

On 13/07/17 18:14, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> It's on my list as follows
>
> client 32: 'UMX 250' [type=kernel,card=4]
>     0 'UMX 250 MIDI 1  '
>     Connecting To: 128:0[real:0], 130:0
>     Connected From: 128:0

>> Alas it's not working for me. I've tried
>>
>> -M'UMX 250'
>>
>> And it says
>>
>> ALSASEQ: connection failed from 'UMX, port 0 (Operation not permitted)

>>> Thanks alot!

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

gsenna
apt-cache show libasound2 | grep Version

Although I doubt that's what's happening. Maybe you could try connecting
first to the Midi Through port (in my case, csound -+rtmidi=alsaseq
-M14) and later in another terminal: aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Csound'. Then
check if the connection is made.

On 13/07/17 18:34, Anton Kholomiov wrote:

> I'm using Csound 6.09. Not sure on the version of libasound2

>> Latest Csound? I'm using Ubuntu Studio 17.04. My aconnect -l says:
>>
>> client 28: 'Scarlett 2i4 USB' [type=kernel,card=3]
>>     0 'Scarlett 2i4 USB MIDI 1'
>>     Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
>>     Connected From: 128:0
>>
>> I can't imagine why it would work for me, but not for you. My libasound2
>> version is 1.1.3-5.
>>

>> On 13/07/17 18:14, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>>> It's on my list as follows
>>>
>>> client 32: 'UMX 250' [type=kernel,card=4]
>>>     0 'UMX 250 MIDI 1  '
>>>     Connecting To: 128:0[real:0], 130:0
>>>     Connected From: 128:0

>> -l"

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

gsenna
if aconnect can't do it, it's alsaseq and your card. Otherwise it is
probably Csound.

On 13/07/17 18:49, Guillermo Senna wrote:

> apt-cache show libasound2 | grep Version
>
> Although I doubt that's what's happening. Maybe you could try connecting
> first to the Midi Through port (in my case, csound -+rtmidi=alsaseq
> -M14) and later in another terminal: aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Csound'. Then
> check if the connection is made.
>

> On 13/07/17 18:34, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>> I'm using Csound 6.09. Not sure on the version of libasound2

>>> Latest Csound? I'm using Ubuntu Studio 17.04. My aconnect -l says:
>>>
>>> client 28: 'Scarlett 2i4 USB' [type=kernel,card=3]
>>>     0 'Scarlett 2i4 USB MIDI 1'
>>>     Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
>>>     Connected From: 128:0
>>>
>>> I can't imagine why it would work for me, but not for you. My libasound2
>>> version is 1.1.3-5.

>>> -l"

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

forrest
I think that alsa is not always consistent with how it assigns midi ports after reboot.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
if aconnect can't do it, it's alsaseq and your card. Otherwise it is
probably Csound.

On 13/07/17 18:49, Guillermo Senna wrote:
> apt-cache show libasound2 | grep Version
>
> Although I doubt that's what's happening. Maybe you could try connecting
> first to the Midi Through port (in my case, csound -+rtmidi=alsaseq
> -M14) and later in another terminal: aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Csound'. Then
> check if the connection is made.
>

> On 13/07/17 18:34, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>> I'm using Csound 6.09. Not sure on the version of libasound2

>>> Latest Csound? I'm using Ubuntu Studio 17.04. My aconnect -l says:
>>>
>>> client 28: 'Scarlett 2i4 USB' [type=kernel,card=3]
>>>     0 'Scarlett 2i4 USB MIDI 1'
>>>     Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
>>>     Connected From: 128:0
>>>
>>> I can't imagine why it would work for me, but not for you. My libasound2
>>> version is 1.1.3-5.

>>> -l"

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

gsenna
That's correct. But we were trying to make the connection by name.

On 13/07/17 21:08, Forrest Curo wrote:

> I think that alsa is not always consistent with how it assigns midi ports
> after reboot.
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> if aconnect can't do it, it's alsaseq and your card. Otherwise it is
>> probably Csound.
>>

>> On 13/07/17 18:49, Guillermo Senna wrote:
>>> apt-cache show libasound2 | grep Version
>>>
>>> Although I doubt that's what's happening. Maybe you could try connecting
>>> first to the Midi Through port (in my case, csound -+rtmidi=alsaseq
>>> -M14) and later in another terminal: aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Csound'. Then
>>> check if the connection is made.

>> libasound2

>>> :

>> permitted)
>>> :

>> csound
>> "aconnect

>> the

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

Anton Kholomiov
Although I doubt that's what's happening. Maybe you could try connecting
first to the Midi Through port (in my case, csound -+rtmidi=alsaseq
-M14) and later in another terminal: aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Csound'. Then
check if the connection is made.

This recipe works!

Maybe I need to update Csound to the very latest version... to work it directly
But atleast I have some predictable way to to it now.

That's correct. But we were trying to make the connection by name.

On 13/07/17 21:08, Forrest Curo wrote:
> I think that alsa is not always consistent with how it assigns midi ports
> after reboot.
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> if aconnect can't do it, it's alsaseq and your card. Otherwise it is
>> probably Csound.
>>

>> On 13/07/17 18:49, Guillermo Senna wrote:
>>> apt-cache show libasound2 | grep Version
>>>
>>> Although I doubt that's what's happening. Maybe you could try connecting
>>> first to the Midi Through port (in my case, csound -+rtmidi=alsaseq
>>> -M14) and later in another terminal: aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Csound'. Then
>>> check if the connection is made.

>> libasound2

>>> :

>> permitted)
>>> :

>> csound
>> "aconnect

>> the

>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

Anton Kholomiov
I think it's have to do with interpretation of unary quotes ' ' on my system
Unfortunately when I try to automize your solution whenever I try to
execute the line: "aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Csound'" from some programming language

I get error on

invalid sender address 'UMX

But with plain integers it works

aconnect 28 129

Although I doubt that's what's happening. Maybe you could try connecting
first to the Midi Through port (in my case, csound -+rtmidi=alsaseq
-M14) and later in another terminal: aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Csound'. Then
check if the connection is made.

This recipe works!

Maybe I need to update Csound to the very latest version... to work it directly
But atleast I have some predictable way to to it now.

That's correct. But we were trying to make the connection by name.

On 13/07/17 21:08, Forrest Curo wrote:
> I think that alsa is not always consistent with how it assigns midi ports
> after reboot.
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> if aconnect can't do it, it's alsaseq and your card. Otherwise it is
>> probably Csound.
>>

>> On 13/07/17 18:49, Guillermo Senna wrote:
>>> apt-cache show libasound2 | grep Version
>>>
>>> Although I doubt that's what's happening. Maybe you could try connecting
>>> first to the Midi Through port (in my case, csound -+rtmidi=alsaseq
>>> -M14) and later in another terminal: aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Csound'. Then
>>> check if the connection is made.

>> libasound2

>>> :

>> permitted)
>>> :

>> csound
>> "aconnect

>> the

>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

Anton Kholomiov
If I type it by hand it works on terminal: aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Csound'
but I don't have the way to automate this process..

I think it's have to do with interpretation of unary quotes ' ' on my system
Unfortunately when I try to automize your solution whenever I try to
execute the line: "aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Csound'" from some programming language

I get error on

invalid sender address 'UMX

But with plain integers it works

aconnect 28 129

Although I doubt that's what's happening. Maybe you could try connecting
first to the Midi Through port (in my case, csound -+rtmidi=alsaseq
-M14) and later in another terminal: aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Csound'. Then
check if the connection is made.

This recipe works!

Maybe I need to update Csound to the very latest version... to work it directly
But atleast I have some predictable way to to it now.

That's correct. But we were trying to make the connection by name.

On 13/07/17 21:08, Forrest Curo wrote:
> I think that alsa is not always consistent with how it assigns midi ports
> after reboot.
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> if aconnect can't do it, it's alsaseq and your card. Otherwise it is
>> probably Csound.
>>

>> On 13/07/17 18:49, Guillermo Senna wrote:
>>> apt-cache show libasound2 | grep Version
>>>
>>> Although I doubt that's what's happening. Maybe you could try connecting
>>> first to the Midi Through port (in my case, csound -+rtmidi=alsaseq
>>> -M14) and later in another terminal: aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Csound'. Then
>>> check if the connection is made.

>> libasound2

>>> :

>> permitted)
>>> :

>> csound
>> "aconnect

>> the

>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Stable and predictable MIDI connection with ALSA

Victor Lazzarini
did you try this script?

#!/usr/sh
csound … & aconnect ‘UMX 250’ ‘Csound’