[Csnd] Sound artifact

sjakops
I am suddenly experiencing a 'bitcrusher-like' artifact when playing back and
interpolating samples.. does anyone have an idea why this could be
happening?

It happens if I run Csound with sr = 44100 and play back samples of 96kHz,
or if I play back samples at a 'non standard' rate (with loscil or loscil3)
- sounds like there is no interpolation actually. I am using the latest
Csound, and don't think i had this problem at first. I am not experiencing
this with any other software.

Best regards,
Søren

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Sound artifact

Steven Yi
Hi Søren,

Do you have a test CSD and sound file you could post somewhere to test with?

Also, could you mention what OS and version of Csound you are using?

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 2:50 PM, sjakops <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am suddenly experiencing a 'bitcrusher-like' artifact when playing back and
> interpolating samples.. does anyone have an idea why this could be
> happening?
>
> It happens if I run Csound with sr = 44100 and play back samples of 96kHz,
> or if I play back samples at a 'non standard' rate (with loscil or loscil3)
> - sounds like there is no interpolation actually. I am using the latest
> Csound, and don't think i had this problem at first. I am not experiencing
> this with any other software.
>
> Best regards,
> Søren
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Sound artifact

sjakops
Hi Steven, I'm running Win10 and have been using this version of
Csound (because I need vst opcodes):
https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/5eiai835gyy0rd9q/artifacts/msvc%2Fcsound-windows-x64-6.10.0-rc2-1188.exe
but the problem was also there after I changed to the official v6.10 release.

The following sample score and attached sample do not sound correct on
my machine. I've tried with other samples and also with loscil instead
of loscil3, and it's the same.

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
-o dac
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>
sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 2
0dbfs  = 1
instr 1
al, ar loscil3 1.0, 1.2, 123, 1
outs al, ar
endin
</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
f 123 0 0 -1 "test123.wav" 0 0 0
i 1 0 2
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

On 2/24/18, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Søren,
>
> Do you have a test CSD and sound file you could post somewhere to test
> with?
>
> Also, could you mention what OS and version of Csound you are using?
>
> Thanks,
> steven
>

> On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 2:50 PM, sjakops <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am suddenly experiencing a 'bitcrusher-like' artifact when playing back
>> and
>> interpolating samples.. does anyone have an idea why this could be
>> happening?
>>
>> It happens if I run Csound with sr = 44100 and play back samples of
>> 96kHz,
>> or if I play back samples at a 'non standard' rate (with loscil or
>> loscil3)
>> - sounds like there is no interpolation actually. I am using the latest
>> Csound, and don't think i had this problem at first. I am not
>> experiencing
>> this with any other software.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Søren
>>

>> --
>> Sent from:
>> http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

test123.wav (153K) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] Sound artifact

sjakops
For info, everything sounds 'correct' on my machine when I use v6.07.0.

Is no one else experiencing this problem with v6.10 on windows10/x64?

Best regards,
Søren

On 2/25/18, Søren Jakobsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven, I'm running Win10 and have been using this version of
> Csound (because I need vst opcodes):
> https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/5eiai835gyy0rd9q/artifacts/msvc%2Fcsound-windows-x64-6.10.0-rc2-1188.exe
> but the problem was also there after I changed to the official v6.10
> release.
>
> The following sample score and attached sample do not sound correct on
> my machine. I've tried with other samples and also with loscil instead
> of loscil3, and it's the same.
>
> <CsoundSynthesizer>
> <CsOptions>
> -o dac
> </CsOptions>
> <CsInstruments>
> sr = 44100
> ksmps = 32
> nchnls = 2
> 0dbfs  = 1
> instr 1
> al, ar loscil3 1.0, 1.2, 123, 1
> outs al, ar
> endin
> </CsInstruments>
> <CsScore>
> f 123 0 0 -1 "test123.wav" 0 0 0
> i 1 0 2
> </CsScore>
> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>
> On 2/24/18, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Søren,
>>
>> Do you have a test CSD and sound file you could post somewhere to test
>> with?
>>
>> Also, could you mention what OS and version of Csound you are using?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> steven
>>

>> On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 2:50 PM, sjakops <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am suddenly experiencing a 'bitcrusher-like' artifact when playing
>>> back
>>> and
>>> interpolating samples.. does anyone have an idea why this could be
>>> happening?
>>>
>>> It happens if I run Csound with sr = 44100 and play back samples of
>>> 96kHz,
>>> or if I play back samples at a 'non standard' rate (with loscil or
>>> loscil3)
>>> - sounds like there is no interpolation actually. I am using the latest
>>> Csound, and don't think i had this problem at first. I am not
>>> experiencing
>>> this with any other software.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Søren
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from:
>>> http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Sound artifact

Oeyvind Brandtsegg-3
I tested here on Win10 with Csound 6.10 (Dec 21) and I have the artifacts here too.
It looks like the output is osccillating between two different signals, as if there is something odd with the interleaving of the stereo signal or that kind of thing.
Screenshot of the output here:
Oeyvind

For info, everything sounds 'correct' on my machine when I use v6.07.0.

Is no one else experiencing this problem with v6.10 on windows10/x64?

Best regards,
Søren

On 2/25/18, Søren Jakobsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Steven, I'm running Win10 and have been using this version of
> Csound (because I need vst opcodes):
> https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/5eiai835gyy0rd9q/artifacts/msvc%2Fcsound-windows-x64-6.10.0-rc2-1188.exe
> but the problem was also there after I changed to the official v6.10
> release.
>
> The following sample score and attached sample do not sound correct on
> my machine. I've tried with other samples and also with loscil instead
> of loscil3, and it's the same.
>
> <CsoundSynthesizer>
> <CsOptions>
> -o dac
> </CsOptions>
> <CsInstruments>
> sr = 44100
> ksmps = 32
> nchnls = 2
> 0dbfs  = 1
> instr 1
> al, ar loscil3 1.0, 1.2, 123, 1
> outs al, ar
> endin
> </CsInstruments>
> <CsScore>
> f 123 0 0 -1 "test123.wav" 0 0 0
> i 1 0 2
> </CsScore>
> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>
> On 2/24/18, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Søren,
>>
>> Do you have a test CSD and sound file you could post somewhere to test
>> with?
>>
>> Also, could you mention what OS and version of Csound you are using?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> steven
>>

>> On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 2:50 PM, sjakops <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am suddenly experiencing a 'bitcrusher-like' artifact when playing
>>> back
>>> and
>>> interpolating samples.. does anyone have an idea why this could be
>>> happening?
>>>
>>> It happens if I run Csound with sr = 44100 and play back samples of
>>> 96kHz,
>>> or if I play back samples at a 'non standard' rate (with loscil or
>>> loscil3)
>>> - sounds like there is no interpolation actually. I am using the latest
>>> Csound, and don't think i had this problem at first. I am not
>>> experiencing
>>> this with any other software.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Søren
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from:
>>> http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Sound artifact

Victor Lazzarini-2
can you open a issue? A soundfile and CSD to test would be useful.

> On 27 Feb 2018, at 08:14, Oeyvind Brandtsegg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I tested here on Win10 with Csound 6.10 (Dec 21) and I have the artifacts here too.
> It looks like the output is osccillating between two different signals, as if there is something odd with the interleaving of the stereo signal or that kind of thing.
> Screenshot of the output here:
> <image.png>
> Oeyvind

> For info, everything sounds 'correct' on my machine when I use v6.07.0.
>
> Is no one else experiencing this problem with v6.10 on windows10/x64?
>
> Best regards,
> Søren
>
> On 2/25/18, Søren Jakobsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Steven, I'm running Win10 and have been using this version of
> > Csound (because I need vst opcodes):
> > https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/5eiai835gyy0rd9q/artifacts/msvc%2Fcsound-windows-x64-6.10.0-rc2-1188.exe
> > but the problem was also there after I changed to the official v6.10
> > release.
> >
> > The following sample score and attached sample do not sound correct on
> > my machine. I've tried with other samples and also with loscil instead
> > of loscil3, and it's the same.
> >
> > <CsoundSynthesizer>
> > <CsOptions>
> > -o dac
> > </CsOptions>
> > <CsInstruments>
> > sr = 44100
> > ksmps = 32
> > nchnls = 2
> > 0dbfs  = 1
> > instr 1
> > al, ar loscil3 1.0, 1.2, 123, 1
> > outs al, ar
> > endin
> > </CsInstruments>
> > <CsScore>
> > f 123 0 0 -1 "test123.wav" 0 0 0
> > i 1 0 2
> > </CsScore>
> > </CsoundSynthesizer>
> >
> > On 2/24/18, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi Søren,
> >>
> >> Do you have a test CSD and sound file you could post somewhere to test
> >> with?
> >>
> >> Also, could you mention what OS and version of Csound you are using?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> steven

> >> Csound mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> >> Send bugs reports to
> >>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

> Oeyvind Brandtsegg
> Professor of Music Technology
> NTNU
> 7491 Trondheim
> Norway
> Cell: +47 92 203 205
>
> http://www.partikkelaudio.com/
> http://crossadaptive.hf.ntnu.no
> http://gdsp.hf.ntnu.no/
> http://soundcloud.com/brandtsegg
> http://flyndresang.no/
> http://soundcloud.com/t-emp

Re: [Csnd] Sound artifact

sjakops
Thank you for confirming this Oeyvind! I'll register the bug on github.
Besy regards,
Søren