[Csnd] Shoegazing with Csound, my take on ambient guitar (ventures with auto volume pedal)

[Csnd] Shoegazing with Csound, my take on ambient guitar (ventures with auto volume pedal)

Anton Kholomiov
Hi!

I've tried to create ambient guitar setup with Csound.
One interesting quirk that I've tried to solve was to create
automatic volume pedal that would smooth out all attacks. This is a typical
for ambient guitar when you want to turn your guitar into pad.
But most of the time it's done by toes. But I wanted to automate it.

The idea was to detect attacks automatically and trigger some envelope
to cancel out attacks.

I think I've succeded with basic setup

Here is my result: (it's an audio file with example of usage) pure Csound

I've used the haskell lib (attach the source).
But for those who are interesting to recreate it in the Csound
I describe the scheme of the algorithm.

First we need to create a signal that captures attacks.
The best thing is to use this algorithm:

Described in the Csound FLOSS. It's EXAMPLE 05L03_Dynamic_Trigger.csd
check it it out here

Next we can feed it to the Steven's adsr140 UDO:

say the kTrigger - captures attacks. The envelope goes like this:

krms  rms ain
aenv adsr140 (krms - 0.05), kTrigger, 9, 1, 1, 3
aDelEnv delay  aenv, 0.1

There are two ticks to consider first is we use rms of the input signal as gate,
and another one is we delay an envelope a little bit to cancel out the sharp attack
phase completely.

This feeding rms to agate of the adsr140 was the final trick to get it working.

This scheme creates automatic ambient volume pedal control.

Then I've used several units after the volume control:

*  distortion unit to make it sound a bit brighter and more like real electro guitar
       (I use electroacoustic guitar neylon strings)

* two delays to make the sound last longer

* big reverb at the end of the chain.

Hope you enjoy it and maybe get inspired with this design.

Cheers
Anton

AmbiGuitar.hs (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] Shoegazing with Csound, my take on ambient guitar (ventures with auto volume pedal)

zappfinger

Can you post the MP3 somewhere? I'm a bit hesitant having to register to an unknown site...

On the subject of volume pedals for guitar: I'm a big Shadows fan. Hank Marvin is a master in using the volume pedal.
One thing that I learned in using the volume pedal, that you have to play each note a little bit too early, because of
the slow attack...

Richard

On 09/03/18 21:53, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
[...]

Yes exact the same thing I simulate by delaying the envelope
This way the played note goes a bit before the envelope kicks in

Ok here is another link

guitar:

[...]

Thanks, Very nice and atmos-spheric, also the PianoTeq version...

On 09/03/18 22:20, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
Ok here is another link

guitar:

[...]

Thanks Richard and Rory for feedback.
it's kind of synergy between us or in the community :)

[...]

Steven Yi
Hi Anton,

This is wonderful stuff, thanks very much for sharing!  I'm really
looking forward to studying and experimenting with your design. Also,
the FLOSS link is a reminder that there's so much wonderful content
there. (And this is reminding me a bit of the wonderful Roland GR300
sound <3 )

Thanks again!
steven

p.s. - It might be fun to make a Web version of something like this
for live processing.  If we used Chrome Canary, we could probably
finish the audioworklet version of csound and get both audio input,
web midi, and touch interface input all working to do a live
processing web application. It'd make a good proof-of-concept test
application for sure. (Then maybe even look at porting Miller
Puckette's Smeck... :) )

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Anton Kholomiov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Richard and Rory for feedback.
> it's kind of synergy between us or in the community :)

>> Thanks for sharing Anton. I was recently playing around with a similar
>> idea, only I was using overlapping enveloped segments of frozen spectra. I
>> must take some time to look through your code.
>>
>> On 9 March 2018 at 21:43, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, Very nice and atmos-spheric, also the PianoTeq version...
>>>

>>> On 09/03/18 22:20, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok here is another link
>>>
>>> guitar:
>>>
>>> https://yadi.sk/d/KGthIuXb3TCYC9
>>>
>>> pianoteq through the same chain
>>>
>>> https://yadi.sk/d/TYeyfTND3TCYEX

>>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
>>> be posted here
>>>

>>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
>>> be posted here
>>

>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
>> be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Shoegazing with Csound, my take on ambient guitar (ventures with auto volume pedal)

Anton Kholomiov
the floss manual has a lot to explore.

Thanks, Steven! I'm glad that you find it inspiring I think that with your knowledge of Csound
you can take it on a new level.

I also think if it's possible to trigger some table based envelope with the trigger (and possible retrigger).
Actually I think it can be done if we use long attack time on adsr140 and use it as a phasor.
But maybe there is something out of the box for it?