[Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

Steven Yi
Hi All,

I was inspired to look at shimmer reverbs after reading a post on CDM
about SineVibes' Luminance plugin.  I've posted a CSD and MP3 example
of what I came up with using reverbsc and an FFT-based pitchshifter:

http://kunstmusik.com/2018/08/21/shimmer-reverb/

I had tried using a time domain based approach such as in Luminance
and Jeanette C's m_reverb, but couldn't quite get the sound I was
after. I ended up trying an FFT-based pitch shifter and was really
happy with the results and stuck with it, which is the version posted
in the link above.

Enjoy!

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

Jeanette C.
Hi Steven,
Aug 21 2018, Steven Yi has written:
> http://kunstmusik.com/2018/08/21/shimmer-reverb/
>
> I had tried using a time domain based approach such as in Luminance
> and Jeanette C's m_reverb, but couldn't quite get the sound I was
> after. I ended up trying an FFT-based pitch shifter and was really
> happy with the results and stuck with it, which is the version posted
> in the link above.
this is a very smopoth and creamy sound. Thanks for sharing this, I'd
love to give a try myself. I think this might be beautiful with a piano.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Can't you see I'm a fool in so many ways <3
(Britney Spears)

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

zappfinger
Very nice! Can this be used with live audio as well?

Richard

On 21/08/18 21:24, Steven Yi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was inspired to look at shimmer reverbs after reading a post on CDM
> about SineVibes' Luminance plugin.  I've posted a CSD and MP3 example
> of what I came up with using reverbsc and an FFT-based pitchshifter:
>
> http://kunstmusik.com/2018/08/21/shimmer-reverb/
>
> I had tried using a time domain based approach such as in Luminance
> and Jeanette C's m_reverb, but couldn't quite get the sound I was
> after. I ended up trying an FFT-based pitch shifter and was really
> happy with the results and stuck with it, which is the version posted
> in the link above.
>
> Enjoy!
> steven

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

Hi Jeanette,

I wouldn't have gotten as far as quickly as I did without looking at
your m_reverb, so thanks for that!  (And I think I may still try out
working in time domain again to see if I missed something the first
time around.)

Cheers!
steven

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 3:47 PM Jeanette C. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
> Aug 21 2018, Steven Yi has written:
> > http://kunstmusik.com/2018/08/21/shimmer-reverb/
> >
> > I had tried using a time domain based approach such as in Luminance
> > and Jeanette C's m_reverb, but couldn't quite get the sound I was
> > after. I ended up trying an FFT-based pitch shifter and was really
> > happy with the results and stuck with it, which is the version posted
> > in the link above.
> this is a very smopoth and creamy sound. Thanks for sharing this, I'd
> love to give a try myself. I think this might be beautiful with a piano.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --------
>   * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
>   * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
>   * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
>   * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
>   * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
>
> Can't you see I'm a fool in so many ways <3
> (Britney Spears)

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

Sure!  I've attached a version here that's a bit simpler to read as it
takes out all of the supporting UDOs and has just the ShimmerReverb
code.  The audio input using the inch opcode is done inline within
that instr.  (Be careful about feedback!)  It's also nice to try using
different iratio values like 0.5 to hear a downward transpose, or
"iratio = cent(200)" to hear transpositions every whole-step up,
"iratio = cent(400)" for major 3rd's up, etc.  (1.5 for perfect fifths
reminds is quite lovely :) )
On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:13 PM Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very nice! Can this be used with live audio as well?
>
> Richard
>

> On 21/08/18 21:24, Steven Yi wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I was inspired to look at shimmer reverbs after reading a post on CDM
> > about SineVibes' Luminance plugin.  I've posted a CSD and MP3 example
> > of what I came up with using reverbsc and an FFT-based pitchshifter:
> >
> > http://kunstmusik.com/2018/08/21/shimmer-reverb/
> >
> > I had tried using a time domain based approach such as in Luminance
> > and Jeanette C's m_reverb, but couldn't quite get the sound I was
> > after. I ended up trying an FFT-based pitch shifter and was really
> > happy with the results and stuck with it, which is the version posted
> > in the link above.
> >
> > Enjoy!
> > steven
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

shimmer_reverb_mic.csd (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

Steven Yi
Ah, oops, in that sentence I  was going to say the 1.5 setting reminds
me of an old GM synth sound, maybe scifi?  Then I didn't quite finish
rewriting that sentence. :P
On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:15 PM Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sure!  I've attached a version here that's a bit simpler to read as it takes out all of the supporting UDOs and has just the ShimmerReverb code.  The audio input using the inch opcode is done inline within that instr.  (Be careful about feedback!)  It's also nice to try using different iratio values like 0.5 to hear a downward transpose, or "iratio = cent(200)" to hear transpositions every whole-step up, "iratio = cent(400)" for major 3rd's up, etc.  (1.5 for perfect fifths reminds is quite lovely :) )
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:13 PM Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Very nice! Can this be used with live audio as well?
> >
> > Richard
> >

> > On 21/08/18 21:24, Steven Yi wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I was inspired to look at shimmer reverbs after reading a post on CDM
> > > about SineVibes' Luminance plugin.  I've posted a CSD and MP3 example
> > > of what I came up with using reverbsc and an FFT-based pitchshifter:
> > >
> > > http://kunstmusik.com/2018/08/21/shimmer-reverb/
> > >
> > > I had tried using a time domain based approach such as in Luminance
> > > and Jeanette C's m_reverb, but couldn't quite get the sound I was
> > > after. I ended up trying an FFT-based pitch shifter and was really
> > > happy with the results and stuck with it, which is the version posted
> > > in the link above.
> > >
> > > Enjoy!
> > > steven
> > >
> > > Csound mailing list
> > > [hidden email]
> > > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > > Send bugs reports to
> > >          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

Steven Yi
Oh, and one more quick modification to use tanh() to reduce some
clipping (this version uses 1.5 for the iratio).
On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:16 PM Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, oops, in that sentence I  was going to say the 1.5 setting reminds
> me of an old GM synth sound, maybe scifi?  Then I didn't quite finish
> rewriting that sentence. :P
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:15 PM Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Sure!  I've attached a version here that's a bit simpler to read as it takes out all of the supporting UDOs and has just the ShimmerReverb code.  The audio input using the inch opcode is done inline within that instr.  (Be careful about feedback!)  It's also nice to try using different iratio values like 0.5 to hear a downward transpose, or "iratio = cent(200)" to hear transpositions every whole-step up, "iratio = cent(400)" for major 3rd's up, etc.  (1.5 for perfect fifths reminds is quite lovely :) )
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:13 PM Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Very nice! Can this be used with live audio as well?
> > >
> > > Richard

> > > Csound mailing list
> > > [hidden email]
> > > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > > Send bugs reports to
> > >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

shimmer_reverb_mic.csd (2K) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

Doctor B
Steven,

Thanks for the beautiful new shimmer reverb. (And the inspiring, musical and super clear .csd - a super model).

Jeanette C's m_verb is very nice too!  Thanks for the links to her UDOs.

Both of these reverbs would make useful opcodes and find frequent use - as would many "modules" from your UDO collection.

Any chance for adding them as opcodes someday?  Hope so.

Best,

Dr.B.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor of Electronic Production and Design
Professional Writing and Music Technology Division
Berklee College of Music
President of Boulanger Labs - http://boulangerlabs.com
Author & Editor of The Csound Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/csound-book
Author & Editor of The Audio Programming Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/audio-programming-book
about:
http://www.boulangerlabs.com/#about
about: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/
music: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/dr-richard-boulanger-music/

email: [hidden email]
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/richard.boulanger.58

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh, and one more quick modification to use tanh() to reduce some
clipping (this version uses 1.5 for the iratio).
On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:16 PM Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, oops, in that sentence I  was going to say the 1.5 setting reminds
> me of an old GM synth sound, maybe scifi?  Then I didn't quite finish
> rewriting that sentence. :P
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:15 PM Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Sure!  I've attached a version here that's a bit simpler to read as it takes out all of the supporting UDOs and has just the ShimmerReverb code.  The audio input using the inch opcode is done inline within that instr.  (Be careful about feedback!)  It's also nice to try using different iratio values like 0.5 to hear a downward transpose, or "iratio = cent(200)" to hear transpositions every whole-step up, "iratio = cent(400)" for major 3rd's up, etc.  (1.5 for perfect fifths reminds is quite lovely :) )
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:13 PM Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Very nice! Can this be used with live audio as well?
> > >
> > > Richard

> > > Csound mailing list
> > > [hidden email]
> > > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > > Send bugs reports to
> > >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

Doctor B
Steven,

More Nice!  The mic version is even more magical - as the pitch-shifting tail transforms one's words and singing in a heavenly manner.

-dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor of Electronic Production and Design
Professional Writing and Music Technology Division
Berklee College of Music
President of Boulanger Labs - http://boulangerlabs.com
Author & Editor of The Csound Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/csound-book
Author & Editor of The Audio Programming Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/audio-programming-book
about:
http://www.boulangerlabs.com/#about
about: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/
music: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/dr-richard-boulanger-music/

email: [hidden email]
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/richard.boulanger.58

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh, and one more quick modification to use tanh() to reduce some
clipping (this version uses 1.5 for the iratio).
On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:16 PM Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, oops, in that sentence I  was going to say the 1.5 setting reminds
> me of an old GM synth sound, maybe scifi?  Then I didn't quite finish
> rewriting that sentence. :P
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:15 PM Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Sure!  I've attached a version here that's a bit simpler to read as it takes out all of the supporting UDOs and has just the ShimmerReverb code.  The audio input using the inch opcode is done inline within that instr.  (Be careful about feedback!)  It's also nice to try using different iratio values like 0.5 to hear a downward transpose, or "iratio = cent(200)" to hear transpositions every whole-step up, "iratio = cent(400)" for major 3rd's up, etc.  (1.5 for perfect fifths reminds is quite lovely :) )
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:13 PM Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Very nice! Can this be used with live audio as well?
> > >
> > > Richard

> > > Csound mailing list
> > > [hidden email]
> > > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > > Send bugs reports to
> > >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

Fabio De Sanctis De Benedictis
Dear Steven,

Really very very nice, thank you for sharing.

Ciao

fdsdb

Il giorno mar, 21/08/2018 alle 15.24 -0400, Steven Yi ha scritto:

> Hi All,
>
> I was inspired to look at shimmer reverbs after reading a post on CDM
> about SineVibes' Luminance plugin.  I've posted a CSD and MP3 example
> of what I came up with using reverbsc and an FFT-based pitchshifter:
>
> http://kunstmusik.com/2018/08/21/shimmer-reverb/
>
> I had tried using a time domain based approach such as in Luminance
> and Jeanette C's m_reverb, but couldn't quite get the sound I was
> after. I ended up trying an FFT-based pitch shifter and was really
> happy with the results and stuck with it, which is the version posted
> in the link above.
>
> Enjoy!
> steven

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

Hi Dr. B,

Glad you're enjoying it!  I think it'd make sense to make this into a
UDO, but making it into a C opcode might not be so good since it'd
sort of set it in stone. My own take is that it'd have more value as a
UDO since users could modify it easily, say to replace the reverb with
freeverb or nreverb or some other custom code; maybe swap out to
linear interpolating delay lines; swap out the pitch shifter; make the
delay ping-pong between the channels; etc.

I'll look at making this a commented .udo file with test .csd and
upload it to the my libsyi project.  (I'll reply here when that's
ready.)

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 9:16 AM Dr. Richard Boulanger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steven,
>
> Thanks for the beautiful new shimmer reverb. (And the inspiring, musical and super clear .csd - a super model).
>
> Jeanette C's m_verb is very nice too!  Thanks for the links to her UDOs.
>
> Both of these reverbs would make useful opcodes and find frequent use - as would many "modules" from your UDO collection.
>
> Any chance for adding them as opcodes someday?  Hope so.
>
> Best,
>
> Dr.B.

> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor of Electronic Production and Design
> Professional Writing and Music Technology Division
> Berklee College of Music
> President of Boulanger Labs - http://boulangerlabs.com
> Author & Editor of The Csound Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/csound-book
> Author & Editor of The Audio Programming Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/audio-programming-book
> about: http://www.boulangerlabs.com/#about
> about: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/
> music: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/dr-richard-boulanger-music/
> email: [hidden email]
> facebook: https://www.facebook.com/richard.boulanger.58
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, and one more quick modification to use tanh() to reduce some
>> clipping (this version uses 1.5 for the iratio).
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:16 PM Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Ah, oops, in that sentence I  was going to say the 1.5 setting reminds
>> > me of an old GM synth sound, maybe scifi?  Then I didn't quite finish
>> > rewriting that sentence. :P

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

Eugene Cherny
Hey Steven!

Sounds really nice! I'll use it for some productions. Good job!

Eugene Cherny
https://eugn.ch

22:24, August 21, 2018, Steven Yi <[hidden email]>:

Hi All,

I was inspired to look at shimmer reverbs after reading a post on CDM
about SineVibes' Luminance plugin. I've posted a CSD and MP3 example
of what I came up with using reverbsc and an FFT-based pitchshifter:

http://kunstmusik.com/2018/08/21/shimmer-reverb/

I had tried using a time domain based approach such as in Luminance
and Jeanette C's m_reverb, but couldn't quite get the sound I was
after. I ended up trying an FFT-based pitch shifter and was really
happy with the results and stuck with it, which is the version posted
in the link above.

Enjoy!

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

zappfinger
I am trying to add more of the original signal to the output, but as soon as
I do that, there is no sound at all...

Like so:
out((ain*.5 + al*.7)/1.2, (ain*.5 + ar.*7)/1.2)

How is that possible? Some kind of cancellation?

Richard

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

zappfinger
Never mind, it was a syntax error on my side...

Richard

On 26/08/18 11:34, zappfinger wrote:

> I am trying to add more of the original signal to the output, but as soon as
> I do that, there is no sound at all...
>
> Like so:
> out((ain*.5 + al*.7)/1.2, (ain*.5 + ar.*7)/1.2)
>
> How is that possible? Some kind of cancellation?
>
> Richard
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

zappfinger

This is weird. I am using ShimmerReverb in a Cabbage patch that also includes some filtering in a first instrument.
The output of this instrument is patched via the zak opcodes to the ShimmerReverb instrument.
When I use alwayson "ShimmerReverb" it does not work (the first instrument is started from the score).
Only when I start ShimmerReverb from the score also it works. It seems that alwayson has no effect.
I have this now in the score (that works):

i "ShimmerReverb"  0 [60*60*24*7]
i1 0 [60*60*24*7]

Any idea?

Richard

On 26/08/18 11:34, zappfinger wrote:
I am trying to add more of the original signal to the output, but as soon as
I do that, there is no sound at all...

Like so:
out((ain*.5 + al*.7)/1.2, (ain*.5 + ar.*7)/1.2)

How is that possible? Some kind of cancellation?

Richard

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Shimmer Reverb

Steven Yi
I think the issue is that Csound needs to be put into server mode or
needs an active, non-held event, or a pending event in the scheduler,
to keep running.