[Csnd] Selfmade grain algo

bubget

Hi all! Yet another selfmade grain question, maybe Iain could/would answer, however anyone else who has insight is more than welcome to respond!

What is behind the pitch algorithm? I know it's based on a randomiser, however, what I am more interested is how the intervals in pitch are chosen. No matter what it always sound in tune/in key!

Are they just fifths and maybe a third across two octaves??

Re: [Csnd] Selfmade grain algo

Iain McCurdy

I'm not completely sure to what instrument this is referring - I think a granular synthesis instrument using schedkwhen - but random values can be simply quantised to octaves or semitones by doing:

krnd random -2.5, 2.5

koct = round(krnd)

kfreq = ifreq * octave(koct)

or for semitones:

krnd random -12.5, 12.5

ksemi = round(krnd)

kfreq = ifreq * semitone(ksemi)

More intricate harmonic lattices can be imposed using tables or arrays. Tendency masks can be implemented by creating weighted means between the quantised and unquantised values.

Maybe I'll develop these old instrument further at some time, but a lot of these tricks can be done using partikkel now also.

Hi all! Yet another selfmade grain question, maybe Iain could/would answer, however anyone else who has insight is more than welcome to respond!

What is behind the pitch algorithm? I know it's based on a randomiser, however, what I am more interested is how the intervals in pitch are chosen. No matter what it always sound in tune/in key!

Are they just fifths and maybe a third across two octaves??

Re: [Csnd] Selfmade grain algo

bubget

Thanks so much for your response Iain!!

Yes, indeed it is that instrument to which I refer!!

Specifically I wanted to know about the intervals, you had said they were chosen due to the equally tempered nature of the source material(classguit.wav)

Am I to gather that the intervals are evenly spaced?