[Csnd] Reverb Skip Time

Marvin Juneyoung Kim
Hello,

I have a question about skip time parameter in reverb opcodes. I understand that manipulating this parameter changes the tone of reverb, but I wanted to further understand why does it sound different every time I change this parameter and what part of reverb algorithm it's affecting.

Thank you!

Marvin

Re: [Csnd] Reverb Skip Time

joachim-3
hi marvin -

did you look at the manual explanation?  what is not clear for you with it?

best -
        joachim

On 17/04/18 03:25, Marvin Juneyoung Kim wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question about skip time parameter in reverb opcodes. I
> understand that manipulating this parameter changes the tone of reverb,
> but I wanted to further understand why does it sound different every
> time I change this parameter and what part of reverb algorithm it's
> affecting.
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
> Best,
>
> Marvin
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Reverb Skip Time

Marvin Juneyoung Kim
Hi Joachim,

It says it's a 'initial disposition of delay-loop data space' in the manual;

First thing I was confused about was the phrase "inital disposition". I wasn't sure if it's something like predelay (hearing the whole reverb later by a few ms) or if the delay time of reverb different delay lines are offset by a few samples affected by a parameter. If any of my assumption is correct, how does the number I put in affect those things?

Also, I'm not sure what does the phrase "delay-loop data space" means. Does it mean that it's a time-domain data space of the reverb tail?

Best,
Marvin

https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
can be posted here

Marvin

Re: [Csnd] Reverb Skip Time

Richard
That is the expression used in all opcodes with a "skip time" optional
argument. It is needed in the context of "legato" performance (e.g. via
negative p3), where it is necessary to retain internal state (phase,
delayed audio data, etc) across successive opcode calls (note events).
Of course, all the reverb opcodes make extensive use of delay lines
(allpass and comb filters).

By default, that state is cleared on each note instance, but if you need
to prevent that for legato purposes (such as multiple notes handled
under a single reverb effect), you can do so by setting that flag. It
also enables the "tail" of the reverb to continue to play out after a
given note has finished, as one would normally want.  Of course the
modern way to deal with that is to place general reverbs in a dedicated
global always-on instrument, through which all note data is routed.

Richard Dobson