[Csnd] Replacing table warning - ftgen

Roger Kelly-2

I am replacing a table on purpose in an instrument and get the warning below.

I have a couple of questions:

1)Is it just a warning and does not affect anything other than active instruments?

2)Does Csound free the memory of the "replaced" table before allocating my replacement? I am on a limited memory platform.

WARNING: replacing previous ftable 8

WARNING: ftable 8 relocating due to size change

         currently active instruments may find this disturbing

Re: [Csnd] Replacing table warning - ftgen

jpff

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017, Roger Kelly wrote:

> I am replacing a table on purpose in an instrument and get the warning below.
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1)Is it just a warning and does not affect anything other than active
> instruments?

Yes; only problem is if a active istrument uses the table by address wic
as moved

> 2)Does Csound free the memory of the "replaced" table before allocating my
> replacement? I am on a limited memory platform.

Yes it does -- usesrealloc which recovers space

==Jo ff

> WARNING: replacing previous ftable 8
>
> WARNING: ftable 8 relocating due to size change
>
>          currently active instruments may find this disturbing

Re: [Csnd] Replacing table warning - ftgen

I think it uses ReAlloc, so I guess the old space is freed. Can't check now.

The 'disturbing' part is that some opcodes
only look for table size at i-time, in which
case things might go wrong at perf time.
Also if the memory address of the table
is not searched at perf-time, things can
definitely go wrong. But yes, that's only
for active instrs.