[Csnd] Redefining f signals

Ruben Sverre Gjertsen-2
Hello,

I have a question about use of the f-signals. I would like to create an instrument with a long chain of processes to be turned on and off by score parameters, and finally resynthesize the signal going through selected process.

If the analyzed signal is fsig1, I have to redefine it to fsig101 to avoid trouble. Still I would like to keep working on fsig1 through the various processes and resynthesize it as fsig1. If not the number of possible scenarios and combinations would grow enourmously depending on which processes are used.

I try to redefine fsig1 this way: fsig1=fsig101, to bring the result of scaling as input fsig1 to the next process. But this doesn’t work, Csound gets stuck at the first note and doesn’t seem to progress at all.

I include just some example lines from the csd to show the idea. I could include the whole file, but it’s long and messy.
Do you have some advice on how to handle a chain of optional f-signal processings?

Best
Ruben

if (ifile1ch==1.000) goto monopvsanal
monopvsanal:
fsig1 pvsanal apostwarpL, ipvsfftsize, ipvsoverlap, ipvwinsize, ipvswintype
goto postpvsanal
postpvsanal:

if (iwanttoskipsecondpitch==1) goto postpvscale
if (ifile1ch==1.000) goto monopvscale
monopvscale:
fsig101 pvscale fsig1,  ksecondpitchfinal, ikeepscalingform, 1
fsig1= fsig101
goto postpvscale
postpvscale:

;etc…add 10 similar modules

if (ifile1ch==1.000) goto monopvsynth
monopvsynth:
a2ambL pvsynth fsig1
goto spatialization

Re: [Csnd] Redefining f signals

jpff
Two thoughts;
1: That ought to work
2: Does "fsig pvscale fsig1,  ksecondpitchfinal, ikeepscalingform, 1" not
work?

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018, Ruben Sverre Gjertsen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question about use of the f-signals. I would like to create an instrument with a long chain of processes to be turned on and off by score parameters, and finally resynthesize the signal going through selected process.
>
> If the analyzed signal is fsig1, I have to redefine it to fsig101 to avoid trouble. Still I would like to keep working on fsig1 through the various processes and resynthesize it as fsig1. If not the number of possible scenarios and combinations would grow enourmously depending on which processes are used.
>
> I try to redefine fsig1 this way: fsig1=fsig101, to bring the result of scaling as input fsig1 to the next process. But this doesn’t work, Csound gets stuck at the first note and doesn’t seem to progress at all.
>
> I include just some example lines from the csd to show the idea. I could include the whole file, but it’s long and messy.
> Do you have some advice on how to handle a chain of optional f-signal processings?
>
> Best
> Ruben
>

> if (ifile1ch==1.000) goto monopvsanal
> monopvsanal:
> fsig1 pvsanal apostwarpL, ipvsfftsize, ipvsoverlap, ipvwinsize, ipvswintype
> goto postpvsanal
> postpvsanal:
>
> if (iwanttoskipsecondpitch==1) goto postpvscale
> if (ifile1ch==1.000) goto monopvscale
> monopvscale:
> fsig101 pvscale fsig1,  ksecondpitchfinal, ikeepscalingform, 1
> fsig1= fsig101
> goto postpvscale
> postpvscale:
>
> ;etc…add 10 similar modules
>
> if (ifile1ch==1.000) goto monopvsynth
> monopvsynth:
> a2ambL pvsynth fsig1
> goto spatialization

Re: [Csnd] Redefining f signals

and...

if (ifile1ch==1.000) goto monopvscale
monopvscale:

does not make much sense, ad yourtests/goto seem to be all i-rate so do
not affect perf time
xy

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018, Ruben Sverre Gjertsen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question about use of the f-signals. I would like to create an instrument with a long chain of processes to be turned on and off by score parameters, and finally resynthesize the signal going through selected process.
>
> If the analyzed signal is fsig1, I have to redefine it to fsig101 to avoid trouble. Still I would like to keep working on fsig1 through the various processes and resynthesize it as fsig1. If not the number of possible scenarios and combinations would grow enourmously depending on which processes are used.
>
> I try to redefine fsig1 this way: fsig1=fsig101, to bring the result of scaling as input fsig1 to the next process. But this doesn’t work, Csound gets stuck at the first note and doesn’t seem to progress at all.
>
> I include just some example lines from the csd to show the idea. I could include the whole file, but it’s long and messy.
> Do you have some advice on how to handle a chain of optional f-signal processings?
>
> Best
> Ruben
>

> if (ifile1ch==1.000) goto monopvsanal
> monopvsanal:
> fsig1 pvsanal apostwarpL, ipvsfftsize, ipvsoverlap, ipvwinsize, ipvswintype
> goto postpvsanal
> postpvsanal:
>
> if (iwanttoskipsecondpitch==1) goto postpvscale
> if (ifile1ch==1.000) goto monopvscale
> monopvscale:
> fsig101 pvscale fsig1,  ksecondpitchfinal, ikeepscalingform, 1
> fsig1= fsig101
> goto postpvscale
> postpvscale:
>
> ;etc…add 10 similar modules
>
> if (ifile1ch==1.000) goto monopvsynth
> monopvsynth:
> a2ambL pvsynth fsig1
> goto spatialization

Re: [Csnd] Redefining f signals

The manual notes that some opcodes have side effects on inputs, so re-using the variable should not
be taken for granted. Check the man page.