[Csnd] Question to users

jpff
In investigating the recent reports of problems with diskin2 etc we
have identified an oddity (or even a problem) in the opening of audio
files for reading.  If the open fails for any reason there is a further
attempt to open the file as a raw audio with the current sample rate
and other parameters such as sample size/style somewhat uncertain.
This open may well succeed for almost any file, and the program will
continue with the audio data taken as raw.

Does anyone rely in thus behaviour, or know of anyone who does?  I
think this behaviour is wrong-minded but it would be an incompatible
change from what was introduced in csound5.

Note that a raw file can be used if the iformat argument is set to a
value between 1 and 10.

==John ffitch

Re: [Csnd] Question to users

genell
I/we have never been relying on such a fallback. I either use files with headers or specify raw properties, and would actually prefer if there wasn’t a way to suddenly be blasted by undefined audio...

Regards,
Anders

> 24 mars 2018 kl. 21:37 skrev John <[hidden email]>:
>
> In investigating the recent reports of problems with diskin2 etc we
> have identified an oddity (or even a problem) in the opening of audio
> files for reading.  If the open fails for any reason there is a further
> attempt to open the file as a raw audio with the current sample rate
> and other parameters such as sample size/style somewhat uncertain.
> This open may well succeed for almost any file, and the program will
> continue with the audio data taken as raw.
>
> Does anyone rely in thus behaviour, or know of anyone who does?  I
> think this behaviour is wrong-minded but it would be an incompatible
> change from what was introduced in csound5.
>
> Note that a raw file can be used if the iformat argument is set to a
> value between 1 and 10.
>
> ==John ffitch

Re: [Csnd] Question to users

joachim-3
+1

On 25/03/18 15:03, Anders Genell wrote:

> I/we have never been relying on such a fallback. I either use files with headers or specify raw properties, and would actually prefer if there wasn’t a way to suddenly be blasted by undefined audio...
>
> Regards,
> Anders
>
>> 24 mars 2018 kl. 21:37 skrev John <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> In investigating the recent reports of problems with diskin2 etc we
>> have identified an oddity (or even a problem) in the opening of audio
>> files for reading.  If the open fails for any reason there is a further
>> attempt to open the file as a raw audio with the current sample rate
>> and other parameters such as sample size/style somewhat uncertain.
>> This open may well succeed for almost any file, and the program will
>> continue with the audio data taken as raw.
>>
>> Does anyone rely in thus behaviour, or know of anyone who does?  I
>> think this behaviour is wrong-minded but it would be an incompatible
>> change from what was introduced in csound5.
>>
>> Note that a raw file can be used if the iformat argument is set to a
>> value between 1 and 10.
>>
>> ==John ffitch

Re: [Csnd] Question to users

rorywalsh
Same as that.

On Sun 25 Mar 2018, 19:26 joachim heintz, <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

On 25/03/18 15:03, Anders Genell wrote:
> I/we have never been relying on such a fallback. I either use files with headers or specify raw properties, and would actually prefer if there wasn’t a way to suddenly be blasted by undefined audio...
>
> Regards,
> Anders
>
>> 24 mars 2018 kl. 21:37 skrev John <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> In investigating the recent reports of problems with diskin2 etc we
>> have identified an oddity (or even a problem) in the opening of audio
>> files for reading.  If the open fails for any reason there is a further
>> attempt to open the file as a raw audio with the current sample rate
>> and other parameters such as sample size/style somewhat uncertain.
>> This open may well succeed for almost any file, and the program will
>> continue with the audio data taken as raw.
>>
>> Does anyone rely in thus behaviour, or know of anyone who does?  I
>> think this behaviour is wrong-minded but it would be an incompatible
>> change from what was introduced in csound5.
>>
>> Note that a raw file can be used if the iformat argument is set to a
>> value between 1 and 10.
>>
>> ==John ffitch

>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Question to users

Oscar Pablo Di Liscia
Likewise. I almost never use headerless sound files, but even doing so, I would use de appropriate settings to reflect their properties.
Many thanks

El domingo, 25 de marzo de 2018, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> escribió:
Same as that.

On Sun 25 Mar 2018, 19:26 joachim heintz, <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

On 25/03/18 15:03, Anders Genell wrote:
> I/we have never been relying on such a fallback. I either use files with headers or specify raw properties, and would actually prefer if there wasn’t a way to suddenly be blasted by undefined audio...
>
> Regards,
> Anders
>
>> 24 mars 2018 kl. 21:37 skrev John <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> In investigating the recent reports of problems with diskin2 etc we
>> have identified an oddity (or even a problem) in the opening of audio
>> files for reading.  If the open fails for any reason there is a further
>> attempt to open the file as a raw audio with the current sample rate
>> and other parameters such as sample size/style somewhat uncertain.
>> This open may well succeed for almost any file, and the program will
>> continue with the audio data taken as raw.
>>
>> Does anyone rely in thus behaviour, or know of anyone who does?  I
>> think this behaviour is wrong-minded but it would be an incompatible
>> change from what was introduced in csound5.
>>
>> Note that a raw file can be used if the iformat argument is set to a
>> value between 1 and 10.
>>
>> ==John ffitch

>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Dr. Oscar Pablo Di Liscia
Profesor Titular
Director Programa de Investigación "Sistemas Temporales y Síntesis Espacial de Sonido en el Arte Sonoro"
Escuela Universitaria de Artes
Universidad Nacional de Quilmes
Argentina

Re: [Csnd] Question to users

thorin kerr
How would a user know if they are relying on the fallback? Is there a message?

I can see it's an odd feature, but ... maybe in some circumstances... a useful one.

Thorin

On Sun, 25 Mar. 2018, 6:38 am John, <[hidden email]> wrote:
In investigating the recent reports of problems with diskin2 etc we
have identified an oddity (or even a problem) in the opening of audio
files for reading.  If the open fails for any reason there is a further
attempt to open the file as a raw audio with the current sample rate
and other parameters such as sample size/style somewhat uncertain.
This open may well succeed for almost any file, and the program will
continue with the audio data taken as raw.

Does anyone rely in thus behaviour, or know of anyone who does?  I
think this behaviour is wrong-minded but it would be an incompatible
change from what was introduced in csound5.

Note that a raw file can be used if the iformat argument is set to a
value between 1 and 10.

==John ffitch

Re: [Csnd] Question to users

jpff
There is a warning message in v6.11 but it still feels wrong minded.

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

On Mar 26, 2018, 00:26, at 00:26, thorin kerr <[hidden email]> wrote:

>How would a user know if they are relying on the fallback? Is there a
>message?
>
>I can see it's an odd feature, but ... maybe in some circumstances... a
>useful one.
>
>Thorin
>
>On Sun, 25 Mar. 2018, 6:38 am John, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In investigating the recent reports of problems with diskin2 etc we
>> have identified an oddity (or even a problem) in the opening of audio
>> files for reading.  If the open fails for any reason there is a
>further
>> attempt to open the file as a raw audio with the current sample rate
>> and other parameters such as sample size/style somewhat uncertain.
>> This open may well succeed for almost any file, and the program will
>> continue with the audio data taken as raw.
>>
>> Does anyone rely in thus behaviour, or know of anyone who does?  I
>> think this behaviour is wrong-minded but it would be an incompatible
>> change from what was introduced in csound5.
>>
>> Note that a raw file can be used if the iformat argument is set to a
>> value between 1 and 10.
>>
>> ==John ffitch

>Csound mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>Send bugs reports to
>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Question to users

Steven Yi
Maybe late, but +1 for removing the fallback to raw.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 7:22 AM, John ff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is a warning message in v6.11 but it still feels wrong minded.
>
> ⁣Sent from TypeApp
>
> On Mar 26, 2018, 00:26, at 00:26, thorin kerr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>How would a user know if they are relying on the fallback? Is there a
>>message?
>>
>>I can see it's an odd feature, but ... maybe in some circumstances... a
>>useful one.
>>
>>Thorin
>>
>>On Sun, 25 Mar. 2018, 6:38 am John, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> In investigating the recent reports of problems with diskin2 etc we
>>> have identified an oddity (or even a problem) in the opening of audio
>>> files for reading.  If the open fails for any reason there is a
>>further
>>> attempt to open the file as a raw audio with the current sample rate
>>> and other parameters such as sample size/style somewhat uncertain.
>>> This open may well succeed for almost any file, and the program will
>>> continue with the audio data taken as raw.
>>>
>>> Does anyone rely in thus behaviour, or know of anyone who does?  I
>>> think this behaviour is wrong-minded but it would be an incompatible
>>> change from what was introduced in csound5.
>>>
>>> Note that a raw file can be used if the iformat argument is set to a
>>> value between 1 and 10.
>>>
>>> ==John ffitch
>>>
>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>

>>Csound mailing list
>>[hidden email]
>>https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Question to users

Michael Gogins-2
I have no objection to removing the fallback.