[Csnd] QT crashes on Scanned

Marvin Juneyoung Kim
Hello,

I'm trying to mess around with scanu and scans opcode. For some reason, QT crashes every time I run the orchestra. I believe it's because of those random controls I'm using for the parameters, but I couldn't figure out which one is specifically causing the problem. I'm mainly using rspline, jspline, rand, randh for the controls.

I included the csd file in the attachment. Please let me know if there's anything that seems to be causing the problem.

Thank you in advance!

Best,
Marvin

MarvinKim_Scanned.zip (23K) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] QT crashes on Scanned

Victor Lazzarini-2
Looks like some fencepost error. I don’t know much about the code, but it should
not crash, but thrown an error instead

Process 1521 stopped
* thread #1, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=1, address=0x1168d3420)
    frame #0: 0x0000000108d9404d libscansyn.dylib`scsns_play(csound=0x0000000101800e00, p=0x00000001020e18b0) at scansyn.c:562
   559      /* Do various interpolations to get output sample ... */
   560        PSCSNU *pp = p->p;
   561        MYFLT x = phs - (int32_t)phs;
-> 562        MYFLT y1 = pinterp(phs-1, t);
   563        MYFLT y2 = pinterp(phs  , t);
   564        MYFLT y3 = pinterp(phs+1, t);
   565

> On 30 Apr 2018, at 19:36, Marvin Juneyoung Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to mess around with scanu and scans opcode. For some reason, QT crashes every time I run the orchestra. I believe it's because of those random controls I'm using for the parameters, but I couldn't figure out which one is specifically causing the problem. I'm mainly using rspline, jspline, rand, randh for the controls.
>
> I included the csd file in the attachment. Please let me know if there's anything that seems to be causing the problem.
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Best,
> Marvin
> Csound mailing list [hidden email] https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here <MarvinKim_Scanned.zip>

Re: [Csnd] QT crashes on Scanned

Victor Lazzarini-2
The phase is negative, it looks like it needs to be wrapped around. There’s code for wraparound
beyond the table length, but not for the negative case.

Adding wraparound for the negative case fixes the crash. Committed, but unsure if this is correct.

> On 30 Apr 2018, at 20:02, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Looks like some fencepost error. I don’t know much about the code, but it should
> not crash, but thrown an error instead
>
> Process 1521 stopped
> * thread #1, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=1, address=0x1168d3420)
>    frame #0: 0x0000000108d9404d libscansyn.dylib`scsns_play(csound=0x0000000101800e00, p=0x00000001020e18b0) at scansyn.c:562
>   559      /* Do various interpolations to get output sample ... */
>   560        PSCSNU *pp = p->p;
>   561        MYFLT x = phs - (int32_t)phs;
> -> 562        MYFLT y1 = pinterp(phs-1, t);
>   563        MYFLT y2 = pinterp(phs  , t);
>   564        MYFLT y3 = pinterp(phs+1, t);
>   565
>

> ========================
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 30 Apr 2018, at 19:36, Marvin Juneyoung Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to mess around with scanu and scans opcode. For some reason, QT crashes every time I run the orchestra. I believe it's because of those random controls I'm using for the parameters, but I couldn't figure out which one is specifically causing the problem. I'm mainly using rspline, jspline, rand, randh for the controls.
>>
>> I included the csd file in the attachment. Please let me know if there's anything that seems to be causing the problem.
>>
>> Thank you in advance!
>>
>> Best,
>> Marvin
>> Csound mailing list [hidden email] https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here <MarvinKim_Scanned.zip>

Re: [Csnd] QT crashes on Scanned

Marvin Juneyoung Kim
Hello Victor,
thank you for answering the email.

There is no phase parameter in scans or scanu, how did you find out the phase is negative?
Also, what is fencepost error? The only message I understand is

   559        /* Do various interpolations to get output sample ... */

How can I possibly do different interpolations while the interpolation parameter in scans is in irate?

Best,
Marvin

Marvin

Re: [Csnd] QT crashes on Scanned

Victor Lazzarini-2
It’s the internal phase index (phs). I ran on the debugger and saw it was negative at the time of the crash. So I put in wraparound code to fix it.

> [...]
> >>
> >> I included the csd file in the attachment. Please let me know if there's anything that seems to be causing the problem.
> >>
> >> Thank you in advance!
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Marvin
> >> Csound mailing list [hidden email] https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here <MarvinKim_Scanned.zip>
> >

> > Csound mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Okay, I still understand half of it. I got that you used a wraparound code, but I have no idea how achieve that yet.

I might get a clue if I get the answer for these two things.

1) What is the internal phase index?
- I still don’t understand what went wrong because I don’t know what this means. I might be able to come up with a wraparound code on my own if I understand what this is

2) Which debugger software are you using?
- I might need to check a couple more times in case I can’t figure it out from the first attempt

Sorry about too much questions, I’m still new to Csound.

Thanks Victor!

> [...]
>>>
>>> Looks like some fencepost error. I don’t know much about the code, but it should
>>> not crash, but thrown an error instead
>>>
>>> Process 1521 stopped
>>> * thread #1, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=1, address=0x1168d3420)
>>>   frame #0: 0x0000000108d9404d libscansyn.dylib`scsns_play(csound=0x0000000101800e00, p=0x00000001020e18b0) at scansyn.c:562
>>>  559               /* Do various interpolations to get output sample ... */
>>>  560                 PSCSNU *pp = p->p;
>>>  561                 MYFLT x = phs - (int32_t)phs;
>>> -> 562                MYFLT y1 = pinterp(phs-1, t);
>>>  563                 MYFLT y2 = pinterp(phs  , t);
>>>  564                 MYFLT y3 = pinterp(phs+1, t);
>>>  565
>>>

>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,

just get the code from git develop

> On 2 May 2018, at 00:46, Marvin Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Okay, I still understand half of it. I got that you used a wraparound code, but I have no idea how achieve that yet.
>
> I might get a clue if I get the answer for these two things.
>

> 1) What is the internal phase index?
> - I still don’t understand what went wrong because I don’t know what this means. I might be able to come up with a wraparound code on my own if I understand what this is
>
> 2) Which debugger software are you using?
> - I might need to check a couple more times in case I can’t figure it out from the first attempt
>
> Sorry about too much questions, I’m still new to Csound.
>
> Thanks Victor!
>
>> On May 1, 2018, at 5:56 PM, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It’s the internal phase index (phs). I ran on the debugger and saw it was negative at the time of the crash. So I put in wraparound code to fix it.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 1 May 2018, at 22:43, Marvin Juneyoung Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Victor,
>>> thank you for answering the email.
>>>
>>> There is no phase parameter in scans or scanu, how did you find out the phase is negative?
>>> Also, what is fencepost error? The only message I understand is
>>>
>>>  559        /* Do various interpolations to get output sample ... */
>>>
>>> How can I possibly do different interpolations while the interpolation parameter in scans is in irate?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Marvin
>>>
>>> On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The phase is negative, it looks like it needs to be wrapped around. There’s code for wraparound
>>> beyond the table length, but not for the negative case.
>>>
>>> Adding wraparound for the negative case fixes the crash. Committed, but unsure if this is correct.
>>>
>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>

>>> --
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Marvin
>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] QT crashes on Scanned

Hi Marvin,

Victor made a fix to core Csound code, and you will need to get a new
version of Csound to make use of the fix.  This would require you to
compile Csound yourself or wait until the next release.  Once you have
a new Csound, CsoundQt should use it next time you start that up.

Steven

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 7:46 PM, Marvin Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, I still understand half of it. I got that you used a wraparound code, but I have no idea how achieve that yet.
>
> I might get a clue if I get the answer for these two things.
>

> 1) What is the internal phase index?
> - I still don’t understand what went wrong because I don’t know what this means. I might be able to come up with a wraparound code on my own if I understand what this is
>
> 2) Which debugger software are you using?
> - I might need to check a couple more times in case I can’t figure it out from the first attempt
>
> Sorry about too much questions, I’m still new to Csound.
>
> Thanks Victor!
>
>> On May 1, 2018, at 5:56 PM, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It’s the internal phase index (phs). I ran on the debugger and saw it was negative at the time of the crash. So I put in wraparound code to fix it.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 1 May 2018, at 22:43, Marvin Juneyoung Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Victor,
>>> thank you for answering the email.
>>>
>>> There is no phase parameter in scans or scanu, how did you find out the phase is negative?
>>> Also, what is fencepost error? The only message I understand is
>>>
>>>   559        /* Do various interpolations to get output sample ... */
>>>
>>> How can I possibly do different interpolations while the interpolation parameter in scans is in irate?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Marvin
>>>
>>> On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The phase is negative, it looks like it needs to be wrapped around. There’s code for wraparound
>>> beyond the table length, but not for the negative case.
>>>
>>> Adding wraparound for the negative case fixes the crash. Committed, but unsure if this is correct.
>>>
>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>

>>> --
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Marvin

Re: [Csnd] QT crashes on Scanned

Marvin Juneyoung Kim
Oh,, I see. So was the error coming from core Csound code not the csd file?

Marvin

Re: [Csnd] QT crashes on Scanned

Marvin Juneyoung Kim
Hi Steven,

I found Victor's fixed file on google drive, but I don't know where to drag this file into. I am using a Mac OS Sierra and QT.

Thank you

Best,
Marvin

Marvin

Re: [Csnd] QT crashes on Scanned

Victor Lazzarini-2
It doesn’t work like that. You would need to get the full sources using git and
then build Csound from them. If you don’t know how to do this, you can wait
until we release 6.11, which will be soon.

To be clear:
1. The problem is generated by the CSD parameters.
2. Csound crashes due to that and CsoundQT crashes following this.
3. I fixed it so it doesn’t crash. It doesn’t produce a usable result either,
there is what sounds like a loud bang, but that’s up to you to fix in the CSD.

> On 2 May 2018, at 10:03, Marvin Juneyoung Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Steven,
>
> I found Victor's fixed file on google drive, but I don't know where to drag this file into. I am using a Mac OS Sierra and QT.
>
> Thank you
>
> Best,
> Marvin
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 4:07 AM, Marvin Juneyoung Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh,, I see. So was the error coming from core Csound code not the csd file?
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 2:06 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Marvin,
>
> Victor made a fix to core Csound code, and you will need to get a new
> version of Csound to make use of the fix.  This would require you to
> compile Csound yourself or wait until the next release.  Once you have
> a new Csound, CsoundQt should use it next time you start that up.
>
> Steven
>
> On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 7:46 PM, Marvin Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Okay, I still understand half of it. I got that you used a wraparound code, but I have no idea how achieve that yet.
> >
> > I might get a clue if I get the answer for these two things.
> >

> > 1) What is the internal phase index?
> > - I still don’t understand what went wrong because I don’t know what this means. I might be able to come up with a wraparound code on my own if I understand what this is
> >
> > 2) Which debugger software are you using?
> > - I might need to check a couple more times in case I can’t figure it out from the first attempt
> >
> > Sorry about too much questions, I’m still new to Csound.
> >
> > Thanks Victor!
> >
> >> On May 1, 2018, at 5:56 PM, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> It’s the internal phase index (phs). I ran on the debugger and saw it was negative at the time of the crash. So I put in wraparound code to fix it.
> >> ========================
> >> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> >> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
> >> Maynooth University,
> >> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> >> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> >> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> >> [hidden email]
> >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> >> Send bugs reports to
> >>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

> Best,
>
> Marvin
>

> --
> Best,
>
> Marvin

Re: [Csnd] QT crashes on Scanned

Marvin Juneyoung Kim
​Thank you, Victor.​

Marvin

Re: [Csnd] QT crashes on Scanned

Marvin Juneyoung Kim
Hello again,

I built csound today with cmake through the mac terminal with my friend's help, but QT is still crashing when I run this CSD.

I have copied the entire log from terminal (cmake), so I was wondering if sending the log would be helpful to solve this problem.

Please let me know

Thanks!

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Marvin Juneyoung Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> >> It’s the internal phase index (phs). I ran on the debugger and saw it was negative at the time of the crash. So I put in wraparound code to fix it.
> >> ========================
> >> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> >> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
> >> Maynooth University,
> >> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> >> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> >> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> >> [hidden email]
> >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> >> Send bugs reports to
> >>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Marvin

Marvin

Re: [Csnd] QT crashes on Scanned

Victor Lazzarini-2
It’s being fixed. Don’t need to do anything.

> [...]
> > >
> > > 2) Which debugger software are you using?
> > > - I might need to check a couple more times in case I can’t figure it out from the first attempt
> > >
> > > Sorry about too much questions, I’m still new to Csound.
> > >
> > > Thanks Victor!

> > > Csound mailing list
> > > [hidden email]
> > > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > > Send bugs reports to
> > >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

You had an invalid value of kpos in scanu.  Now policed anf=d fixed as of
about 1hr ago

The output of your program is still unusable but does not crash

On Fri, 4 May 2018, Marvin Juneyoung Kim wrote:

> [...]
>       > --
>       > Best,
>       >
>       > Marvin
>       >
>       >
>       >
>       > --
>       > Best,
>       >
>       > Marvin
>       > Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>       https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
>       reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>       Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>

>       Csound mailing list
>       [hidden email]
>       https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>       Send bugs reports to
>               https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>       Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Thank you John, and Victor!

      <[hidden email]> wrote:

      reason = EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=1, address=0x1168d3420)
      libscansyn.dylib`scsns_play(csound=0x0000000101800e00,
      p=0x00000001020e18b0) at scansyn.c:562

      opcode. For some reason, QT crashes every time I run the
      orchestra. I believe it's because of those random controls
      I'm using for the parameters, but I couldn't figure out
      which one is specifically causing the problem. I'm mainly
      using rspline, jspline, rand, randh for the controls.

      let me know if there's anything that seems to be causing the
      problem.

      https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
      reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
      <MarvinKim_Scanned.zip>

      https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
      reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

      > >> Csound mailing list
      > >> [hidden email]
      > >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
      > >> Send bugs reports to
      > >>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
      > >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
      > >
      > > Csound mailing list
      > > [hidden email]
      > > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
      > > Send bugs reports to
      > >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
      > > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

      > Best,
      >
      > Marvin
      >
      >
      >
      > --
      > Best,