[Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

[Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

Ben McAllister
Hello Csounders!

I'm trying to run csound from python to generate midi events. The attached orc and sco run fine from the cmdline, but running the same from the csound API via python fails to generate Midi out due to a PortMidi error: "*** PortMIDI: MIDI out: error writing message".

My csound command:
csound  -odac -Q0 -b64 -B64 test.orc test.sco

I'm on Mac 10.13.2, Python 2.7.14, and Midi device 0 on my machine is an IAC bus.  Any advice in diagnosing the issue?

Thanks in advance!

--
Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster

midiout_test.py (450 bytes) Download Attachment
test.orc (1K) Download Attachment
test.sco (586 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

Steven Yi
Hi Ben,

A couple thoughts:

1. You might try to list the midi devices both with Csound commandline
and in Python using:

--midi-devices[=in|out] list available audio devices and exit

(Ignore that it says audio devices, seems the text for the --help has a typo)

2. You might want to switch to using ctcsound.py instead. I don't know
if it is packaged with the installer, but you can find it online (and
interestingly, just saw it on pypi:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ctcsound/0.0.2 ).

Maybe #1 will give some information, but maybe #2 will fix the issue.
I think at this point too, we should all be moving to ctcsound.py
since we're going to drop the generated Python language in CS7.

steven

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Ben McAllister <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Csounders!
>
> I'm trying to run csound from python to generate midi events. The attached
> orc and sco run fine from the cmdline, but running the same from the csound
> API via python fails to generate Midi out due to a PortMidi error: "***
> PortMIDI: MIDI out: error writing message".
>
> My csound command:
> csound  -odac -Q0 -b64 -B64 test.orc test.sco
>
> I'm on Mac 10.13.2, Python 2.7.14, and Midi device 0 on my machine is an IAC
> bus.  Any advice in diagnosing the issue?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> --
> Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster

Re: [Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

Ben McAllister
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, the PortMidi error remains. I'd like to setup a debug environment around the csound executable to see where things are breaking - what are Csound devs using for an IDE on Mac?  Or should just debug via logging?

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ben,

A couple thoughts:

1. You might try to list the midi devices both with Csound commandline
and in Python using:

--midi-devices[=in|out] list available audio devices and exit

(Ignore that it says audio devices, seems the text for the --help has a typo)

2. You might want to switch to using ctcsound.py instead. I don't know
if it is packaged with the installer, but you can find it online (and
interestingly, just saw it on pypi:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ctcsound/0.0.2 ).

Maybe #1 will give some information, but maybe #2 will fix the issue.
I think at this point too, we should all be moving to ctcsound.py
since we're going to drop the generated Python language in CS7.

steven

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Ben McAllister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Csounders!
>
> I'm trying to run csound from python to generate midi events. The attached
> orc and sco run fine from the cmdline, but running the same from the csound
> API via python fails to generate Midi out due to a PortMidi error: "***
> PortMIDI: MIDI out: error writing message".
>
> My csound command:
> csound  -odac -Q0 -b64 -B64 test.orc test.sco
>
> I'm on Mac 10.13.2, Python 2.7.14, and Midi device 0 on my machine is an IAC
> bus.  Any advice in diagnosing the issue?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> --
> Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster

Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster | tuktuband.com | c: 206.849.3183

Re: [Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

Victor Lazzarini-2
Hang on, you said that the csound was working, but not via Python, so debugging needs to happen
in your python script, not the csound executable.

We could help if you shared the Python program that is not working. Maybe something in the
order of the API calls.

> On 16 Jan 2018, at 22:36, Ben McAllister <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, the PortMidi error remains. I'd like to setup a debug environment around the csound executable to see where things are breaking - what are Csound devs using for an IDE on Mac?  Or should just debug via logging?
>
> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> A couple thoughts:
>
> 1. You might try to list the midi devices both with Csound commandline
> and in Python using:
>
> --midi-devices[=in|out] list available audio devices and exit
>
> (Ignore that it says audio devices, seems the text for the --help has a typo)
>
> 2. You might want to switch to using ctcsound.py instead. I don't know
> if it is packaged with the installer, but you can find it online (and
> interestingly, just saw it on pypi:
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ctcsound/0.0.2 ).
>
> Maybe #1 will give some information, but maybe #2 will fix the issue.
> I think at this point too, we should all be moving to ctcsound.py
> since we're going to drop the generated Python language in CS7.
>
> steven
>
> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Ben McAllister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello Csounders!
> >
> > I'm trying to run csound from python to generate midi events. The attached
> > orc and sco run fine from the cmdline, but running the same from the csound
> > API via python fails to generate Midi out due to a PortMidi error: "***
> > PortMIDI: MIDI out: error writing message".
> >
> > My csound command:
> > csound  -odac -Q0 -b64 -B64 test.orc test.sco
> >
> > I'm on Mac 10.13.2, Python 2.7.14, and Midi device 0 on my machine is an IAC
> > bus.  Any advice in diagnosing the issue?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >

> > --
> > Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster

> > be posted here

> Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster | tuktuband.com | c: 206.849.3183

Re: [Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

Ben McAllister
Thanks for the response.

I attached the screenshot script and associated orc and sco to my original post - do you see them?. Csound runs fine, generating notes from the score and reporting the start times correctly, etc, but every note generates the Le PortMidi error I mention. Maybe you can repro. Im interested in any advice on an IDE for Mac, regardless.

On Jan 16, 2018 2:45 PM, "Victor Lazzarini" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hang on, you said that the csound was working, but not via Python, so debugging needs to happen
in your python script, not the csound executable.

We could help if you shared the Python program that is not working. Maybe something in the
order of the API calls.

> On 16 Jan 2018, at 22:36, Ben McAllister <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, the PortMidi error remains. I'd like to setup a debug environment around the csound executable to see where things are breaking - what are Csound devs using for an IDE on Mac?  Or should just debug via logging?
>
> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> A couple thoughts:
>
> 1. You might try to list the midi devices both with Csound commandline
> and in Python using:
>
> --midi-devices[=in|out] list available audio devices and exit
>
> (Ignore that it says audio devices, seems the text for the --help has a typo)
>
> 2. You might want to switch to using ctcsound.py instead. I don't know
> if it is packaged with the installer, but you can find it online (and
> interestingly, just saw it on pypi:
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ctcsound/0.0.2 ).
>
> Maybe #1 will give some information, but maybe #2 will fix the issue.
> I think at this point too, we should all be moving to ctcsound.py
> since we're going to drop the generated Python language in CS7.
>
> steven
>
> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Ben McAllister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello Csounders!
> >
> > I'm trying to run csound from python to generate midi events. The attached
> > orc and sco run fine from the cmdline, but running the same from the csound
> > API via python fails to generate Midi out due to a PortMidi error: "***
> > PortMIDI: MIDI out: error writing message".
> >
> > My csound command:
> > csound  -odac -Q0 -b64 -B64 test.orc test.sco
> >
> > I'm on Mac 10.13.2, Python 2.7.14, and Midi device 0 on my machine is an IAC
> > bus.  Any advice in diagnosing the issue?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >

> > --
> > Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster

> > be posted here

> Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster | tuktuband.com | c: <a href="tel:206.849.3183" value="+12068493183">206.849.3183

Re: [Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

Ben McAllister
Here are the attachments, again.

On Jan 17, 2018 11:36 AM, "Ben McAllister" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > orc and sco run fine from the cmdline, but running the same from the csound
> > API via python fails to generate Midi out due to a PortMidi error: "***
> > PortMIDI: MIDI out: error writing message".
> >
> > My csound command:
> > csound  -odac -Q0 -b64 -B64 test.orc test.sco
> >
> > I'm on Mac 10.13.2, Python 2.7.14, and Midi device 0 on my machine is an IAC
> > bus.  Any advice in diagnosing the issue?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >

> > --
> > Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster

> > be posted here

> Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster | tuktuband.com | c: <a href="tel:206.849.3183" value="+12068493183" target="_blank">206.849.3183

midiout_test.py (450 bytes) Download Attachment
test.orc (1K) Download Attachment
test.sco (586 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

jpff
I am not a python user but the error I saw suggested an error in python's
use of libasound.a coming from a file rawmidi.c which is not a csound file
/usr/lib64/libasound.so.2(snd_rawmidi_write+0x42) [0x7f837bf720d2]
Does midi need some kind of python initialisation?

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018, Ben McAllister wrote:

> [...]
>       > Send bugs reports to
>       >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>       > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>       >
>       >
>       >
>       > --
>       > Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster |
>       tuktuband.com | c: 206.849.3183
>       > Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>       https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
>       reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>       Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>
>       Csound mailing list
>       [hidden email]
>       https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>       Send bugs reports to
>               https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>       Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

new alloc for instr 1:
python: rawmidi.c:978: snd_rawmidi_write: Assertion `rawmidi' failed.

Thread 1 "python" received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
0x00007ffff74448c7 in raise () from /lib64/libc.so.6

Re: [Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

Unrelated, but important, you should set -B about 4 times the value of -b as a rule of thumb.

Say -b64 -B256

On 17 Jan 2018, at 19:38, Ben McAllister <[hidden email]> wrote:

Here are the attachments, again.

On Jan 17, 2018 11:36 AM, "Ben McAllister" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the response.

I attached the screenshot script and associated orc and sco to my original post - do you see them?. Csound runs fine, generating notes from the score and reporting the start times correctly, etc, but every note generates the Le PortMidi error I mention. Maybe you can repro. Im interested in any advice on an IDE for Mac, regardless.

On Jan 16, 2018 2:45 PM, "Victor Lazzarini" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hang on, you said that the csound was working, but not via Python, so debugging needs to happen
in your python script, not the csound executable.

We could help if you shared the Python program that is not working. Maybe something in the
order of the API calls.

> On 16 Jan 2018, at 22:36, Ben McAllister <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, the PortMidi error remains. I'd like to setup a debug environment around the csound executable to see where things are breaking - what are Csound devs using for an IDE on Mac?  Or should just debug via logging?
>
> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> A couple thoughts:
>
> 1. You might try to list the midi devices both with Csound commandline
> and in Python using:
>
> --midi-devices[=in|out] list available audio devices and exit
>
> (Ignore that it says audio devices, seems the text for the --help has a typo)
>
> 2. You might want to switch to using ctcsound.py instead. I don't know
> if it is packaged with the installer, but you can find it online (and
> interestingly, just saw it on pypi:
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ctcsound/0.0.2 ).
>
> Maybe #1 will give some information, but maybe #2 will fix the issue.
> I think at this point too, we should all be moving to ctcsound.py
> since we're going to drop the generated Python language in CS7.
>
> steven
>
> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Ben McAllister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello Csounders!
> >
> > I'm trying to run csound from python to generate midi events. The attached
> > orc and sco run fine from the cmdline, but running the same from the csound
> > API via python fails to generate Midi out due to a PortMidi error: "***
> > PortMIDI: MIDI out: error writing message".
> >
> > My csound command:
> > csound  -odac -Q0 -b64 -B64 test.orc test.sco
> >
> > I'm on Mac 10.13.2, Python 2.7.14, and Midi device 0 on my machine is an IAC
> > bus.  Any advice in diagnosing the issue?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >

> > --
> > Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster

> > be posted here

> Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster | tuktuband.com | c: <a href="tel:206.849.3183" value="&#43;12068493183" target="_blank"> 206.849.3183

<midiout_test.py>
<test.orc>
<test.sco>

Re: [Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

I don’t think it needs anything else, but it does need a midi output device or destination to exist in the system.

> [...]
>>      > Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster |
>>      tuktuband.com | c: 206.849.3183
>>      > Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>>      https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
>>      reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>      Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>>
>>      Csound mailing list
>>      [hidden email]
>>      https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>      Send bugs reports to
>>              https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>      Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
>> be posted here

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

I tested your code and the conclusion is that SetOption(‘-Q0’) is not working correctly. The device is not opened.
If replace the input files by a test.csd then it works and this gets printed.

0: IAC Driver Bus 1 (portmidi)
1: Network Session 1 (portmidi)
PortMIDI: selected output device 0: 'IAC Driver Bus 1' (CoreMIDI)

If I use an empty CSD with just the options and the header, then compile the orc and read the sco, it also
works.

So there is some sort of bug there. I’ll try to see what it is.

> [...]
> > > PortMIDI: MIDI out: error writing message".
> > >
> > > My csound command:
> > > csound  -odac -Q0 -b64 -B64 test.orc test.sco
> > >
> > > I'm on Mac 10.13.2, Python 2.7.14, and Midi device 0 on my machine is an IAC
> > > bus.  Any advice in diagnosing the issue?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> > >

> > > --
> > > Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster

> > > be posted here
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> >

> > --
> > Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster | tuktuband.com | c: 206.849.3183

Re: [Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

Found and fixed it. The problem was that the MIDI out open function was not being called depending on the
combination of API calls. So when it came to writing, there was an error.

> [...]
>>>
>>> (Ignore that it says audio devices, seems the text for the --help has a typo)
>>>
>>> 2. You might want to switch to using ctcsound.py instead. I don't know
>>> if it is packaged with the installer, but you can find it online (and
>>> interestingly, just saw it on pypi:
>>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ctcsound/0.0.2 ).
>>>
>>> Maybe #1 will give some information, but maybe #2 will fix the issue.
>>> I think at this point too, we should all be moving to ctcsound.py
>>> since we're going to drop the generated Python language in CS7.
>>>
>>> steven

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster | tuktuband.com | c: 206.849.3183

Re: [Csnd] Python and Midiout with noteondur2

Thanks for the attention on this!