[Csnd] Panning / Synth Design

fauveboy
My first query here is that I don't see how this code (below) doesn't achieve
panning control....As the design of a synth develops, for example, I've
started to indicate separate (modular) components ie the filter, the lfo,
tone generator, ect... rather than fitting things all in the same instrument
is it better to split it into separate instruments and connect them using
global variables ?

Many thanks

SamplePlayback.csd
<http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/SamplePlayback.csd>   by
the comments in the code

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Panning / Synth Design

Jeanette C.
Apr 27 2018, fauveboy has written:

> My first query here is that I don't see how this code (below) doesn't achieve
> panning control....
> SamplePlayback.csd
> <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/SamplePlayback.csd>   by
Hey hey,
I have only glanced at the code, using full text search, there are only
two occurences of the variable ipan: both in the same outs line. Unless
there is some other magic, in other files that are connected to this,
ipan isn't set t any value and thus might just not do anything. anyway,
wouldn't kpan be better, even for testing? That way yoou could sweep the
control from 0 to 1.

My appologies, if I missed something obvious.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I believe
We all have one true love
Somewhere in this world <3
(Britney Spears)

Re: [Csnd] Panning / Synth Design

Michael Gogins-2
The main options for connecting instruments in Csound:

(1) Global variables; must be prefixed with "g", e.g.
"gkrateControlVariable". If used for mixing signals, must be cleared
at the end of every kperiod, e.g. in an always-on instrument do
"garateAudioBuss = 0".
(2) The channel opcodes, e.g. chnset, chnget, chnmix. If used for
mixing signals, must be cleared at the end of every kperiod, e.g. in
an always-on instrument do 'chnclear "garateAudioBuss".
(3) The zak system. If used for mixing signals, must be cleared at the
end of every kperiod...
(4) The signal flow graph opcodes. Designed for mixing signals.
Handles krate, arate, frate, and array signals. No need to clear
signals at the end of every kperiod.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 8:52 AM, Jeanette C. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apr 27 2018, fauveboy has written:
>
>> My first query here is that I don't see how this code (below) doesn't
>> achieve
>> panning control....

>> SamplePlayback.csd
>> <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/SamplePlayback.csd>   by

> Hey hey,
> I have only glanced at the code, using full text search, there are only
> two occurences of the variable ipan: both in the same outs line. Unless
> there is some other magic, in other files that are connected to this,
> ipan isn't set t any value and thus might just not do anything. anyway,
> wouldn't kpan be better, even for testing? That way yoou could sweep the
> control from 0 to 1.
>
> My appologies, if I missed something obvious.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --------
>  * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
>  * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
>  * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
>  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
>  * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
>
> I believe
> We all have one true love
> Somewhere in this world <3
> (Britney Spears)

Re: [Csnd] Panning / Synth Design

A few comments

You pan with a non-linear result -- better to use pan2

The panned results are stereo but the comb and reverb are only written to
the left channel

Using global variables to pass information between lightweight instruments
has a stark beauty, but the performance of multicore is likely to be
impacted