[Csnd] [OT] MIDI non-keyboard controller recommendations

[Csnd] [OT] MIDI non-keyboard controller recommendations

Dave Seidel
Hi all,

I am planning on replacing my old Evolution UC-16 with something new. Requirements: at least 16 knobs, capable of sending 14-bit. Some buttons are also good, and sliders are also ok, but knobs are the most important to me. I will be using it control Csound in realtime. (As for keyboards, I have a McMillen QuNexus, which I like a lot and is adequate for my needs.)

I'm currently considering the Novation Launch Control, either the XL (24 knobs) or the smaller model (16 knobs). Any other recommendations? Any reason why I should not consider the Launch Control?

Re: [Csnd] [OT] MIDI non-keyboard controller recommendations

Oeyvind Brandtsegg-2
I love the launch control, as the knobs actually feel like they won't break when you touch them. There is also some physical resistance in turning the knobs which I find helps in making it feel like you're operating something "real". I have both the small and the large one and sometimes consider buying one more.

On the flip side there have been some minor oddities when connecting both these devices to a USB hub and then also connecting other devices to the same hub. I worked around that by connecting both directly to the computer on separate USB ports, and then connecting the hub on a third port.

Oeyvind

T M

Re: [Csnd] [OT] MIDI non-keyboard controller recommendations

Arthur Hunkins
Dave -

I'm currently writing an article about compact, <$100 (used) MIDI control surfaces - dealing primarily with sliders, but knobs and buttons also come in.

The Novation Launch Control XL is one of my top picks, really fine. The smaller model is also excellent; its knobs and buttons have the same capability as the XL. Unfortunately, neither of them do 14-bit controllers. Indeed hardly any of the newer control surfaces do; I haven't run across any (at least in the lower price range I am dealing with.)

The earlier Evolution/m-audio controllers seem fairly unique in this regard; most are USB, can be programmed onboard, *or with the same Enigma editor* which includes the identical 14-bit options you are familiar with on the UC-16. Here's the link to the editor, which *works on all platforms* - with current OS's as well:
Actually, Enigma works with twice as many controllers as are listed, as you'll see - including the Oxygen 25 v2, O2, Oxonic, Axiom, Keystation, Trigger Finger, and the larger Evolution MK keyboards.

Two recommendations:
1) the Evolution X-Session, which is simply a UC-16 that is programmable (also) via Enigma, has an extra cross-fader and allows you to program 10 of the buttons. This would be a minimal upgrade for you.
2) (my greater suggestion) the Evolution UC-33e (preferably *not* the UC-33, which lacks Enigma editing capability but is otherwise identical). Here you have 24 knobs (3 rows of 8) above 9 *60mm* sliders, plus a handful more programmable buttons. Of course, the UC-33e is a considerably larger piece of equipment.

I buy most of my controllers (I've 150 of them currently) used on eBay, and have rarely been disappointed. There are usually a couple of used UC-33e's on sale at any given time. (There's a good bid going on for one now, I see.)

Best -

Art Hunkins

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Dave Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I am planning on replacing my old Evolution UC-16 with something new. Requirements: at least 16 knobs, capable of sending 14-bit. Some buttons are also good, and sliders are also ok, but knobs are the most important to me. I will be using it control Csound in realtime. (As for keyboards, I have a McMillen QuNexus, which I like a lot and is adequate for my needs.)

I'm currently considering the Novation Launch Control, either the XL (24 knobs) or the smaller model (16 knobs). Any other recommendations? Any reason why I should not consider the Launch Control?

Re: [Csnd] [OT] MIDI non-keyboard controller recommendations

Dave Seidel
Thanks, Art, I expected that you would provide a wealth of information! A lot to think about.

I will confess that I had no idea that the UC-16 had 14 bit capability. Can you tell me more about that, or point me to documentation about it> It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 7:24 PM, Arthur Hunkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Whoops, my mistake. The UC-16 does *not* do 14-bit; the X-session and UC-33(e) do. (For relevant info, either download the UC-33 Advanced User Manual or the Enigma editor for the assignment options.)

Also, I can verify that the Behringer BCR2000 does 14-bit.

Art Hunkins