[Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

123

[Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

Victor Lazzarini
Following our conclusion that liblo seems to be overly heavy weight for OSC sending, I have
implemented an alternative version that uses UDP sockets directly. It is currently called
OSCsend2 and the interface is exactly the same to OSCsend. In our tests, it appears to
do the job, but have not tested it extensively.

It has been suggested to remove OSCsend and replace it with OSCsend2, so I would
like to check if OSCsend users could test OSCsend2 and let us know if there are differences
and whether it works OK for you. We would also then like to know whether having
OSCsend2 alongside OSCsend is your preference, or whether we should just replace it.

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

Andreas Bergsland-2
I would be happy to test the new OSCsend2. But is there a way to compile
only this opcode from source, without doing the whole X-code build (I am
on OSX)? E.g. with cc?
Best,
Andreas

> Following our conclusion that liblo seems to be overly heavy weight for OSC sending, I have
> implemented an alternative version that uses UDP sockets directly. It is currently called
> OSCsend2 and the interface is exactly the same to OSCsend. In our tests, it appears to
> do the job, but have not tested it extensively.
>
> It has been suggested to remove OSCsend and replace it with OSCsend2, so I would
> like to check if OSCsend users could test OSCsend2 and let us know if there are differences
> and whether it works OK for you. We would also then like to know whether having
> OSCsend2 alongside OSCsend is your preference, or whether we should just replace it.

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Andreas Bergsland

Associate professor - førsteamanuensis
Music Technology Programme - Musikkteknologiseksjonen
Department of Music - Institutt for musikk
Olavskvartalet
NTNU (Norwegian University of Science and Technology)
7491 Trondheim
NORWAY

Visiting address/besøksadresse: Fjordgt.1 (3.etg.)
e-mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://folk.ntnu.no/andbe
Office phone: 7359 0096
Mobile:       4566 3316

andreas_bergsland.vcf (344 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

gsenna
I'll try it in a few moments. Are you going to replace OSClisten too? If
you do, please beware that right now receiving an array in Csound
expects the structure [dimensions(int); size(int); values(double)...]. I
had to bitshift and cast two ints as a double in order to make that work
from a third-party OSC library outside Csound. It didn't seem right and
I don't think it's possible in every programming language.

Cheers.

On 05/04/17 08:30, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> Following our conclusion that liblo seems to be overly heavy weight for OSC sending, I have
> implemented an alternative version that uses UDP sockets directly. It is currently called
> OSCsend2 and the interface is exactly the same to OSCsend. In our tests, it appears to
> do the job, but have not tested it extensively.
>
> It has been suggested to remove OSCsend and replace it with OSCsend2, so I would
> like to check if OSCsend users could test OSCsend2 and let us know if there are differences
> and whether it works OK for you. We would also then like to know whether having
> OSCsend2 alongside OSCsend is your preference, or whether we should just replace it.

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

Victor Lazzarini
I have implemented the array, audio and function table as per OSCsend/OSClisten. As far as I can see from the code, the blob is as you
describe, all data being sent in the native endianess (little endian for i386/x86_64). It could be that the OSC lib is expecting the data
in big-endian ints, 4 bytes at a time. As far as I understand, the OSC should not impose any particular interpretation to the blob,
but just take it as a string of bytes.

> On 5 Apr 2017, at 17:03, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'll try it in a few moments. Are you going to replace OSClisten too? If
> you do, please beware that right now receiving an array in Csound
> expects the structure [dimensions(int); size(int); values(double)...]. I
> had to bitshift and cast two ints as a double in order to make that work
> from a third-party OSC library outside Csound. It didn't seem right and
> I don't think it's possible in every programming language.
>
> Cheers.
>

> On 05/04/17 08:30, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> Following our conclusion that liblo seems to be overly heavy weight for OSC sending, I have
>> implemented an alternative version that uses UDP sockets directly. It is currently called
>> OSCsend2 and the interface is exactly the same to OSCsend. In our tests, it appears to
>> do the job, but have not tested it extensively.
>>
>> It has been suggested to remove OSCsend and replace it with OSCsend2, so I would
>> like to check if OSCsend users could test OSCsend2 and let us know if there are differences
>> and whether it works OK for you. We would also then like to know whether having
>> OSCsend2 alongside OSCsend is your preference, or whether we should just replace it.

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

Victor Lazzarini
Btw, there are no plans to replace OSClisten, as it works OK. OSC receiving (server) is considerably more
complicated than just sending the data. I think for that we shouldn’t reinvent the wheel.

> On 5 Apr 2017, at 17:30, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have implemented the array, audio and function table as per OSCsend/OSClisten. As far as I can see from the code, the blob is as you
> describe, all data being sent in the native endianess (little endian for i386/x86_64). It could be that the OSC lib is expecting the data
> in big-endian ints, 4 bytes at a time. As far as I understand, the OSC should not impose any particular interpretation to the blob,
> but just take it as a string of bytes.
>
> ========================
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 5 Apr 2017, at 17:03, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'll try it in a few moments. Are you going to replace OSClisten too? If
>> you do, please beware that right now receiving an array in Csound
>> expects the structure [dimensions(int); size(int); values(double)...]. I
>> had to bitshift and cast two ints as a double in order to make that work
>> from a third-party OSC library outside Csound. It didn't seem right and
>> I don't think it's possible in every programming language.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> On 05/04/17 08:30, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>> Following our conclusion that liblo seems to be overly heavy weight for OSC sending, I have
>>> implemented an alternative version that uses UDP sockets directly. It is currently called
>>> OSCsend2 and the interface is exactly the same to OSCsend. In our tests, it appears to
>>> do the job, but have not tested it extensively.
>>>
>>> It has been suggested to remove OSCsend and replace it with OSCsend2, so I would
>>> like to check if OSCsend users could test OSCsend2 and let us know if there are differences
>>> and whether it works OK for you. We would also then like to know whether having
>>> OSCsend2 alongside OSCsend is your preference, or whether we should just replace it.

>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

gsenna
Well I'm doing it in C++ with oscpack and for me it works. Now, I don't
know much about python for example, but if you are using a python module
for handling the OSC part of your program, is it possible to construct
the array to be sent as two ints and the rest as doubles?

I'm asking from complete ignorance, Victor. It just seemed odd to
(instead of passing my entire vector in C++) have to do something like this:

   unsigned long ui = qvlist.size();
    ui <<= 32; ui |= 1;
    vec.push_back (*(double*)&ui);

On 05/04/17 13:30, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> I have implemented the array, audio and function table as per OSCsend/OSClisten. As far as I can see from the code, the blob is as you
> describe, all data being sent in the native endianess (little endian for i386/x86_64). It could be that the OSC lib is expecting the data
> in big-endian ints, 4 bytes at a time. As far as I understand, the OSC should not impose any particular interpretation to the blob,
> but just take it as a string of bytes.
>
> ========================
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 5 Apr 2017, at 17:03, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'll try it in a few moments. Are you going to replace OSClisten too? If
>> you do, please beware that right now receiving an array in Csound
>> expects the structure [dimensions(int); size(int); values(double)...]. I
>> had to bitshift and cast two ints as a double in order to make that work
>> from a third-party OSC library outside Csound. It didn't seem right and
>> I don't think it's possible in every programming language.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> On 05/04/17 08:30, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>> Following our conclusion that liblo seems to be overly heavy weight for OSC sending, I have
>>> implemented an alternative version that uses UDP sockets directly. It is currently called
>>> OSCsend2 and the interface is exactly the same to OSCsend. In our tests, it appears to
>>> do the job, but have not tested it extensively.
>>>
>>> It has been suggested to remove OSCsend and replace it with OSCsend2, so I would
>>> like to check if OSCsend users could test OSCsend2 and let us know if there are differences
>>> and whether it works OK for you. We would also then like to know whether having
>>> OSCsend2 alongside OSCsend is your preference, or whether we should just replace it.

>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

zappfinger
I would say keep the both for a while. Then, when most bugs are out,
maybe replace OSCsend...

Richard

On 05/04/17 13:30, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> Following our conclusion that liblo seems to be overly heavy weight for OSC sending, I have
> implemented an alternative version that uses UDP sockets directly. It is currently called
> OSCsend2 and the interface is exactly the same to OSCsend. In our tests, it appears to
> do the job, but have not tested it extensively.
>
> It has been suggested to remove OSCsend and replace it with OSCsend2, so I would
> like to check if OSCsend users could test OSCsend2 and let us know if there are differences
> and whether it works OK for you. We would also then like to know whether having
> OSCsend2 alongside OSCsend is your preference, or whether we should just replace it.

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

Well, Csound reads two ints, as far as I can see. So I would expect that you can just send two
separate ints and Csound would understand it (first the dimension, then the size). This is
what OSCsend2 (& OSCsend) does. Not quite sure what might be going on at your end.

> On 5 Apr 2017, at 17:44, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well I'm doing it in C++ with oscpack and for me it works. Now, I don't
> know much about python for example, but if you are using a python module
> for handling the OSC part of your program, is it possible to construct
> the array to be sent as two ints and the rest as doubles?
>
> I'm asking from complete ignorance, Victor. It just seemed odd to
> (instead of passing my entire vector in C++) have to do something like this:
>
>   unsigned long ui = qvlist.size();
>    ui <<= 32; ui |= 1;
>    vec.push_back (*(double*)&ui);
>

> On 05/04/17 13:30, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> I have implemented the array, audio and function table as per OSCsend/OSClisten. As far as I can see from the code, the blob is as you
>> describe, all data being sent in the native endianess (little endian for i386/x86_64). It could be that the OSC lib is expecting the data
>> in big-endian ints, 4 bytes at a time. As far as I understand, the OSC should not impose any particular interpretation to the blob,
>> but just take it as a string of bytes.
>>
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 5 Apr 2017, at 17:03, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll try it in a few moments. Are you going to replace OSClisten too? If
>>> you do, please beware that right now receiving an array in Csound
>>> expects the structure [dimensions(int); size(int); values(double)...]. I
>>> had to bitshift and cast two ints as a double in order to make that work
>>> from a third-party OSC library outside Csound. It didn't seem right and
>>> I don't think it's possible in every programming language.
>>>
>>> Cheers.

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

Oeyvind Brandtsegg-3
Hmm, in that case maybe it is better to replace OSCsend now, and keep the old one around as OSCsend_old for a while?
That way, we'll activate the use of the new one in all existing setups, and get to know about all things that go haywire. If no one complains after some months, we can delete OSsend_old.

[...]

My reasoning is that in the different programming languages you'd use a
library/module for handling the OSC part and that would in turn have
some abstraction for sending entire arrays as blobs. Now, Csound
requests for two 32-bit ints and then the rest 64-bits doubles. Is that
always possible to control in the higher-level languages?

Initially what I'd have thought is that I could build an array with all
doubles and Csound would internally truncate the first two values and
cast them into ints.

But if it's working for everyone right now nothing should be changed!

On 05/04/17 14:04, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> Well, Csound reads two ints, as far as I can see. So I would expect that you can just send two
> separate ints and Csound would understand it (first the dimension, then the size). This is
> what OSCsend2 (& OSCsend) does. Not quite sure what might be going on at your end.
> ========================
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 5 Apr 2017, at 17:44, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well I'm doing it in C++ with oscpack and for me it works. Now, I don't
>> know much about python for example, but if you are using a python module
>> for handling the OSC part of your program, is it possible to construct
>> the array to be sent as two ints and the rest as doubles?
>>
>> I'm asking from complete ignorance, Victor. It just seemed odd to
>> (instead of passing my entire vector in C++) have to do something like this:
>>
>>   unsigned long ui = qvlist.size();
>>    ui <<= 32; ui |= 1;
>>    vec.push_back (*(double*)&ui);
>>

>> On 05/04/17 13:30, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>> I have implemented the array, audio and function table as per OSCsend/OSClisten. As far as I can see from the code, the blob is as you
>>> describe, all data being sent in the native endianess (little endian for i386/x86_64). It could be that the OSC lib is expecting the data
>>> in big-endian ints, 4 bytes at a time. As far as I understand, the OSC should not impose any particular interpretation to the blob,
>>> but just take it as a string of bytes.
>>>
>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

Victor Lazzarini
I see what you mean. It’s possible to change it, there are two options:

1) encode everything with doubles
2) leave dim and size. The size of the blob is always there before the
data, so we can just use that. It will be then up to the user to interpret
the data as a 1,2,3 ,… dimensional array. The data is always stored
as a flat vector (e.g. row-column for 2-d).

if people want it changed, I can do it.

> On 5 Apr 2017, at 18:24, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My reasoning is that in the different programming languages you'd use a
> library/module for handling the OSC part and that would in turn have
> some abstraction for sending entire arrays as blobs. Now, Csound
> requests for two 32-bit ints and then the rest 64-bits doubles. Is that
> always possible to control in the higher-level languages?
>
> Initially what I'd have thought is that I could build an array with all
> doubles and Csound would internally truncate the first two values and
> cast them into ints.
>
> But if it's working for everyone right now nothing should be changed!
>

> On 05/04/17 14:04, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> Well, Csound reads two ints, as far as I can see. So I would expect that you can just send two
>> separate ints and Csound would understand it (first the dimension, then the size). This is
>> what OSCsend2 (& OSCsend) does. Not quite sure what might be going on at your end.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 5 Apr 2017, at 17:44, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well I'm doing it in C++ with oscpack and for me it works. Now, I don't
>>> know much about python for example, but if you are using a python module
>>> for handling the OSC part of your program, is it possible to construct
>>> the array to be sent as two ints and the rest as doubles?
>>>
>>> I'm asking from complete ignorance, Victor. It just seemed odd to
>>> (instead of passing my entire vector in C++) have to do something like this:
>>>
>>>  unsigned long ui = qvlist.size();
>>>   ui <<= 32; ui |= 1;
>>>   vec.push_back (*(double*)&ui);

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

Unfortunately it’s not a plugin, so Csound needs to be re-built with it.

> On 5 Apr 2017, at 13:26, Andreas Bergsland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I would be happy to test the new OSCsend2. But is there a way to compile only this opcode from source, without doing the whole X-code build (I am on OSX)? E.g. with cc?
> Best,
> Andreas
>> Following our conclusion that liblo seems to be overly heavy weight for OSC sending, I have
>> implemented an alternative version that uses UDP sockets directly. It is currently called
>> OSCsend2 and the interface is exactly the same to OSCsend. In our tests, it appears to
>> do the job, but have not tested it extensively.
>>
>> It has been suggested to remove OSCsend and replace it with OSCsend2, so I would
>> like to check if OSCsend users could test OSCsend2 and let us know if there are differences
>> and whether it works OK for you. We would also then like to know whether having
>> OSCsend2 alongside OSCsend is your preference, or whether we should just replace it.

> Andreas Bergsland
>
> Associate professor - førsteamanuensis
> Music Technology Programme - Musikkteknologiseksjonen
> Department of Music - Institutt for musikk
> Olavskvartalet
> NTNU (Norwegian University of Science and Technology)
> 7491 Trondheim
> NORWAY
>
> Visiting address/besøksadresse: Fjordgt.1 (3.etg.)
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> Web: http://folk.ntnu.no/andbe
> Office phone: 7359 0096
> Mobile:       4566 3316

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> <andreas_bergsland.vcf>

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

Bernt Isak Wærstad
Would be really nice to have build instructions for OS X in Build.md as well if possible. A gentle bump for issue 717 (https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/717) :)

On 5 April 2017 at 23:13, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unfortunately it’s not a plugin, so Csound needs to be re-built with it.

> On 5 Apr 2017, at 13:26, Andreas Bergsland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I would be happy to test the new OSCsend2. But is there a way to compile only this opcode from source, without doing the whole X-code build (I am on OSX)? E.g. with cc?
> Best,
> Andreas
>> Following our conclusion that liblo seems to be overly heavy weight for OSC sending, I have
>> implemented an alternative version that uses UDP sockets directly. It is currently called
>> OSCsend2 and the interface is exactly the same to OSCsend. In our tests, it appears to
>> do the job, but have not tested it extensively.
>>
>> It has been suggested to remove OSCsend and replace it with OSCsend2, so I would
>> like to check if OSCsend users could test OSCsend2 and let us know if there are differences
>> and whether it works OK for you. We would also then like to know whether having
>> OSCsend2 alongside OSCsend is your preference, or whether we should just replace it.

>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

> Andreas Bergsland
>
> Associate professor - førsteamanuensis
> Music Technology Programme - Musikkteknologiseksjonen
> Department of Music - Institutt for musikk
> Olavskvartalet
> NTNU (Norwegian University of Science and Technology)
> 7491 Trondheim
> NORWAY
>
> Visiting address/besøksadresse: Fjordgt.1 (3.etg.)
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> Web: http://folk.ntnu.no/andbe
> Office phone: 7359 0096
> Mobile:       4566 3316

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> <andreas_bergsland.vcf>

Mvh.

Bernt Isak Wærstad

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

gsenna
I've not considered number 2 before. How about adding an opcode later
for joining 2d arrays into a single multidimensional? Would it be to
difficult/inefficient to do that considering that in the end it's all
about pointers?

I don't want to change and break it for others already using the current
structure.

On 05/04/17 18:12, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> I see what you mean. It’s possible to change it, there are two options:
>
> 1) encode everything with doubles
> 2) leave dim and size. The size of the blob is always there before the
> data, so we can just use that. It will be then up to the user to interpret
> the data as a 1,2,3 ,… dimensional array. The data is always stored
> as a flat vector (e.g. row-column for 2-d).
>
> if people want it changed, I can do it.
> ========================
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 5 Apr 2017, at 18:24, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My reasoning is that in the different programming languages you'd use a
>> library/module for handling the OSC part and that would in turn have
>> some abstraction for sending entire arrays as blobs. Now, Csound
>> requests for two 32-bit ints and then the rest 64-bits doubles. Is that
>> always possible to control in the higher-level languages?
>>
>> Initially what I'd have thought is that I could build an array with all
>> doubles and Csound would internally truncate the first two values and
>> cast them into ints.
>>
>> But if it's working for everyone right now nothing should be changed!
>>

>> On 05/04/17 14:04, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>> Well, Csound reads two ints, as far as I can see. So I would expect that you can just send two
>>> separate ints and Csound would understand it (first the dimension, then the size). This is
>>> what OSCsend2 (& OSCsend) does. Not quite sure what might be going on at your end.
>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

Victor Lazzarini
With number 2, you could pass any array of any number of dimensions. It would be up
to you to decide how to package the data.

> On 6 Apr 2017, at 21:04, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've not considered number 2 before. How about adding an opcode later
> for joining 2d arrays into a single multidimensional? Would it be to
> difficult/inefficient to do that considering that in the end it's all
> about pointers?
>
> I don't want to change and break it for others already using the current
> structure.
>

> On 05/04/17 18:12, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> I see what you mean. It’s possible to change it, there are two options:
>>
>> 1) encode everything with doubles
>> 2) leave dim and size. The size of the blob is always there before the
>> data, so we can just use that. It will be then up to the user to interpret
>> the data as a 1,2,3 ,… dimensional array. The data is always stored
>> as a flat vector (e.g. row-column for 2-d).
>>
>> if people want it changed, I can do it.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 5 Apr 2017, at 18:24, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> My reasoning is that in the different programming languages you'd use a
>>> library/module for handling the OSC part and that would in turn have
>>> some abstraction for sending entire arrays as blobs. Now, Csound
>>> requests for two 32-bit ints and then the rest 64-bits doubles. Is that
>>> always possible to control in the higher-level languages?
>>>
>>> Initially what I'd have thought is that I could build an array with all
>>> doubles and Csound would internally truncate the first two values and
>>> cast them into ints.
>>>
>>> But if it's working for everyone right now nothing should be changed!

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

We could put in a different type name for non-descript double-format data sequence (e.g. 2), for instance
call it “D”.

> On 6 Apr 2017, at 21:04, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've not considered number 2 before. How about adding an opcode later
> for joining 2d arrays into a single multidimensional? Would it be to
> difficult/inefficient to do that considering that in the end it's all
> about pointers?
>
> I don't want to change and break it for others already using the current
> structure.
>

> On 05/04/17 18:12, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> I see what you mean. It’s possible to change it, there are two options:
>>
>> 1) encode everything with doubles
>> 2) leave dim and size. The size of the blob is always there before the
>> data, so we can just use that. It will be then up to the user to interpret
>> the data as a 1,2,3 ,… dimensional array. The data is always stored
>> as a flat vector (e.g. row-column for 2-d).
>>
>> if people want it changed, I can do it.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 5 Apr 2017, at 18:24, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> My reasoning is that in the different programming languages you'd use a
>>> library/module for handling the OSC part and that would in turn have
>>> some abstraction for sending entire arrays as blobs. Now, Csound
>>> requests for two 32-bit ints and then the rest 64-bits doubles. Is that
>>> always possible to control in the higher-level languages?
>>>
>>> Initially what I'd have thought is that I could build an array with all
>>> doubles and Csound would internally truncate the first two values and
>>> cast them into ints.
>>>
>>> But if it's working for everyone right now nothing should be changed!

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

gsenna
I like that. Non of those characters are really part of the OSC
specification, so why not?

But with this approach you would still use a Csound array as xdata1 in
OSClisten, right?

On 06/04/17 17:16, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> We could put in a different type name for non-descript double-format data sequence (e.g. 2), for instance
> call it “D”.
> ========================
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 6 Apr 2017, at 21:04, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've not considered number 2 before. How about adding an opcode later
>> for joining 2d arrays into a single multidimensional? Would it be to
>> difficult/inefficient to do that considering that in the end it's all
>> about pointers?
>>
>> I don't want to change and break it for others already using the current
>> structure.
>>

>> On 05/04/17 18:12, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>> I see what you mean. It’s possible to change it, there are two options:
>>>
>>> 1) encode everything with doubles
>>> 2) leave dim and size. The size of the blob is always there before the
>>> data, so we can just use that. It will be then up to the user to interpret
>>> the data as a 1,2,3 ,… dimensional array. The data is always stored
>>> as a flat vector (e.g. row-column for 2-d).
>>>
>>> if people want it changed, I can do it.
>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

Victor Lazzarini
yes, same thing from the user perspective. Except that you can define how many dimensions you want
to hold the data in.

> On 6 Apr 2017, at 21:33, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I like that. Non of those characters are really part of the OSC
> specification, so why not?
>
> But with this approach you would still use a Csound array as xdata1 in
> OSClisten, right?
>
> On 06/04/17 17:16, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> We could put in a different type name for non-descript double-format data sequence (e.g. 2), for instance
>> call it “D”.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 6 Apr 2017, at 21:04, Guillermo Senna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've not considered number 2 before. How about adding an opcode later
>>> for joining 2d arrays into a single multidimensional? Would it be to
>>> difficult/inefficient to do that considering that in the end it's all
>>> about pointers?
>>>
>>> I don't want to change and break it for others already using the current
>>> structure.

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] OSCsend and OSCsend2

gsenna
I'm not so sure I follow you with that last sentence. Do you mean
something like this could be possible?

kArr[][] init 2, 16
kk1  OSClisten gihandle, "/multiArr", "DD", kArr[0], kArr[1]