[Csnd] Noise detection

iron_attorney
Hi, does anyone have any idea how you'd go about detecting noise level in Csound, or useful links that might help me figure it out?

Pete

Re: [Csnd] Noise detection

jpff
Does rather depend on your definition of noise.  For some definitions the
sd of fft bin ednitudes could feature.

Your ears may vary

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018, Peter Burgess wrote:

> Hi, does anyone have any idea how you'd go about detecting noise level in
> Csound, or useful links that might help me figure it out?
> Pete

Re: [Csnd] Noise detection

iron_attorney
Right yes, noise is a vague term. For my specific purpose,  I'm thinking primarily full spectrum white noise or similar...  In which case you're right, examining an FFT probably is the sensible way to go here. The goal is to be able to auto detect unwanted white noise in samples and discard those containing too much of it.

Re: [Csnd] Noise detection

Oeyvind Brandtsegg-2
Spectral flatness or flux might be useable indicators in this case.
If you need an example of how to implement it you could look at the code at https://github.com/Oeyvind/featexmod in the file analyze_audio.inc

Best
Oeyvind

On Mar 2, 2018 14:12, "Peter Burgess" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Right yes, noise is a vague term. For my specific purpose,  I'm thinking primarily full spectrum white noise or similar...  In which case you're right, examining an FFT probably is the sensible way to go here. The goal is to be able to auto detect unwanted white noise in samples and discard those containing too much of it.

Re: [Csnd] Noise detection

This is probably not you are after but (from the manual):

http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/pvstencil.html

One of the typical uses of pvstencil would be in noise reduction.

Maybe you can reverse it somehow to get the noise level?

"Skipping post-normalisation will keep the original noise print average amplitudes. "

I don't pretend I understand exactly how it is used.

tarmo