[Csnd] No Audio Output Device

Jim Aikin
Installed 6.10.0 on my Windows 10 laptop tonight. The CsoundQt
Configuration box offers no audio I/O device -- the only thing in the
dropdown is "null." I'm pretty darn sure earlier versions of Csound have
produced audio output to the built-in speakers. I have no idea what has
changed.

Suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be welcome. Thanks!

--Jim Aikin

Re: [Csnd] No Audio Output Device

myrddinemrys

Hi Jim,

6.10 is unusable for me, as well.  I think there’s something wrong with Portaudio.  I have to use an older version for things to work.  The version I am using is

6.07.

Regards,

Justin

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: [Csnd] No Audio Output Device

Victor Lazzarini-2
It appears 6.10 is working fine for other users. Not sure what issues you might have in your system.

As for Jim’s problem: that may well be a path issue. Maybe an older installation has set the OPCODE6DIR64 to the wrong location. You can try setting it in CsoundQT.

Also it is worth checking that the cmd line works. If you can try Cabbage and/or Blue,
that would also help us understand what might be wrong.

Starting with 6.10, releases are being built by Appveyor, so the installer is slightly different than in previous versions.

On 3 Mar 2018, at 14:31, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is just CsoundQT right? Everything works fine from the command line?

On 3 Mar 2018 1:33 p.m., "Justin Rosander" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jim,

6.10 is unusable for me, as well.  I think there’s something wrong with Portaudio.  I have to use an older version for things to work.  The version I am using is

6.07.

Regards,

Justin

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: [Csnd] No Audio Output Device

Hi Jim,

Did you install 6.10 over an existing install of Csound?  And is the
version of CsoundQt the one from the installer?

With 6.10, the build is compiled with a different compiler (Visual
Studio) than previous versions (MinGW).  I think that there could be
issues if you install over a previous version, but I can't say for
sure since I did not have a previous version of Csound installed from
installer (I had just my self-compiled versions).  If you haven't
tried yet, I'd try uninstalling Csound, then check the "c:\Program
Files\Csound6_x64" folder if there is anything remaining and removing
it. Then a reinstall at the end would at least get into a clean state.

Also, did you use the default options when installing?

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 2:06 AM, Jim Aikin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Installed 6.10.0 on my Windows 10 laptop tonight. The CsoundQt Configuration
> box offers no audio I/O device -- the only thing in the dropdown is "null."
> I'm pretty darn sure earlier versions of Csound have produced audio output
> to the built-in speakers. I have no idea what has changed.
>
> Suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be welcome. Thanks!
>
> --Jim Aikin

Re: [Csnd] No Audio Output Device

rorywalsh
I just tried a fresh install on my Windows 10 machine here of the latest Windows installer and everything works fine. I can select realtime audio output from CsoundQT. I think Steven's advice is good, completely nuke Csound from the system. Remove the install directory from the PATH, and remove OPCODE6DIR64, then reinstall the latest release from the github repo. I think that should sort it.

On 3 March 2018 at 19:07, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jim,

Did you install 6.10 over an existing install of Csound?  And is the
version of CsoundQt the one from the installer?

With 6.10, the build is compiled with a different compiler (Visual
Studio) than previous versions (MinGW).  I think that there could be
issues if you install over a previous version, but I can't say for
sure since I did not have a previous version of Csound installed from
installer (I had just my self-compiled versions).  If you haven't
tried yet, I'd try uninstalling Csound, then check the "c:\Program
Files\Csound6_x64" folder if there is anything remaining and removing
it. Then a reinstall at the end would at least get into a clean state.

Also, did you use the default options when installing?

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 2:06 AM, Jim Aikin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Installed 6.10.0 on my Windows 10 laptop tonight. The CsoundQt Configuration
> box offers no audio I/O device -- the only thing in the dropdown is "null."
> I'm pretty darn sure earlier versions of Csound have produced audio output
> to the built-in speakers. I have no idea what has changed.
>
> Suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be welcome. Thanks!
>
> --Jim Aikin

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] No Audio Output Device

Victor Lazzarini-2
What about Python? Does it work for you?

On 4 Mar 2018, at 11:09, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just tried a fresh install on my Windows 10 machine here of the latest Windows installer and everything works fine. I can select realtime audio output from CsoundQT. I think Steven's advice is good, completely nuke Csound from the system. Remove the install directory from the PATH, and remove OPCODE6DIR64, then reinstall the latest release from the github repo. I think that should sort it.

On 3 March 2018 at 19:07, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jim,

Did you install 6.10 over an existing install of Csound?  And is the
version of CsoundQt the one from the installer?

With 6.10, the build is compiled with a different compiler (Visual
Studio) than previous versions (MinGW).  I think that there could be
issues if you install over a previous version, but I can't say for
sure since I did not have a previous version of Csound installed from
installer (I had just my self-compiled versions).  If you haven't
tried yet, I'd try uninstalling Csound, then check the "c:\Program
Files\Csound6_x64" folder if there is anything remaining and removing
it. Then a reinstall at the end would at least get into a clean state.

Also, did you use the default options when installing?

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 2:06 AM, Jim Aikin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Installed 6.10.0 on my Windows 10 laptop tonight. The CsoundQt Configuration
> box offers no audio I/O device -- the only thing in the dropdown is "null."
> I'm pretty darn sure earlier versions of Csound have produced audio output
> to the built-in speakers. I have no idea what has changed.
>
> Suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be welcome. Thanks!
>
> --Jim Aikin

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] No Audio Output Device

rorywalsh
I can run the following instrument without CsoundQT giving me any python errors:

pyruni
"import random" instr 1 ; This message is stored in the main namespace ; and is the same for every instance pyruni "message = 'a global random number: %f' % random.random()" pyrun "print message" ; This message is stored in the private namespace ; and is different for different instances pylruni "message = 'a private random number: %f' % random.random()" pylrun "print message" endin