[Csnd] New piece

sbogacz
Dear Csounders,

A couple of months ago I started a piece for the organ in Sankt Peter's church, here in Köln, Germany. The organ is both played by Csound and myself. It can be heard here: https://soundcloud.com/santiago-bogacz-morales/santiago-bogacz-bruoeibruoei

It's a very particular organ, as not only it's got pipes that are very unique (including percussion), but also the whole panel is electronic. Being so, one can, for example, change the stops extremely fast, just with a click. One can also do combination of registers and save them in a memory bank and then quickly change from one combination to another with just a click. Also, the air flow can be controlled, from 0 to 20, being able to do crescendos as well as glissandos, and if one leaves it in a very low frequency, sound will come out fluctuating! Finally, and most interesting, it can receive Midi messages. One can program all notes to be played by any of the 4 keyboards (and of course one could make them all play as many notes as one wants at the same time). Stops can be also changed with midi, though the answer is much slower than doing it manually.
Here's a video with Dominik Susteck (the church's organist) doing a test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt28HjJTVgU

For this piece I wrote all keys to be played with Csound's midiout, creating 4 csound instruments that each would let me do different ideas, and I was controlling the air-flow and stop changes manually.
The interesting thing, technically speaking, was that I used Csound's console as a score. I think it's a very interesting idea to apply. Of course, sometimes it's a little bit difficult (depending on what one writes in the code) but I think it's a way to do live that's pretty direct. I do not know if any of you have ever done this. If so, I'be very interesting to know how was your experience.

I hope you enjoy the piece!

Santiago Bogac

Re: [Csnd] New piece

jpff
Nice!

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

On Apr 8, 2018, 13:49, at 13:49, Santiago Bogacz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Dear Csounders,
>
>A couple of months ago I started a piece for the organ in Sankt Peter's
>church, here in Köln, Germany. The organ is both played by Csound and
>myself. It can be heard here:
>https://soundcloud.com/santiago-bogacz-morales/santiago-bogacz-bruoeibruoei
>
>It's a very particular organ, as not only it's got pipes that are very
>unique (including percussion), but also the whole panel is electronic.
>Being so, one can, for example, change the stops extremely fast, just
>with
>a click. One can also do combination of registers and save them in a
>memory
>bank and then quickly change from one combination to another with just
>click. Also, the air flow can be controlled, from 0 to 20, being able
>to do
>crescendos as well as glissandos, and if one leaves it in a very low
>frequency, sound will come out fluctuating! Finally, and most
>interesting,
>it can receive Midi messages. One can program all notes to be played by
>any
>of the 4 keyboards (and of course one could make them all play as many
>notes as one wants at the same time). Stops can be also changed with
>midi,
>though the answer is much slower than doing it manually.
>Here's a video with Dominik Susteck (the church's organist) doing a
>test:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt28HjJTVgU
>
>For this piece I wrote all keys to be played with Csound's midiout,
>creating 4 csound instruments that each would let me do different
>ideas,
>and I was controlling the air-flow and stop changes manually.
>The interesting thing, technically speaking, was that I used Csound's
>console as a score. I think it's a very interesting idea to apply. Of
>course, sometimes it's a little bit difficult (depending on what one
>writes
>in the code) but I think it's a way to do live that's pretty direct. I
>do
>not know if any of you have ever done this. If so, I'be very
>interesting to
>know how was your experience.
>
>I hope you enjoy the piece!
>
>Santiago Bogac
>
>Csound mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>Send bugs reports to
>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] New piece

Steven Yi
Thanks Santiago for sharing your work! I enjoyed that very much, in
particular to hear the organ glissandi was quite astounding.

Regarding using "Csound's console as a score", could you explain this
a bit further?  Do you mean that you typed in score notes to trigger
MIDI playing instruments?  I use a lot of live coding these days but I
am typically working from evaluating orchestra code from an editor
with schedule() opcode, rather than .sco notes.  I'd be curious to
hear a little more about your performance approach (for example, did
you have a written score you performed (typed) from?)

All best!
steven

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 9:05 AM, John ff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice!
>
> ⁣Sent from TypeApp
>
> On Apr 8, 2018, 13:49, at 13:49, Santiago Bogacz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Dear Csounders,
>>
>>A couple of months ago I started a piece for the organ in Sankt Peter's
>>church, here in Köln, Germany. The organ is both played by Csound and
>>myself. It can be heard here:
>>https://soundcloud.com/santiago-bogacz-morales/santiago-bogacz-bruoeibruoei
>>
>>It's a very particular organ, as not only it's got pipes that are very
>>unique (including percussion), but also the whole panel is electronic.
>>Being so, one can, for example, change the stops extremely fast, just
>>with
>>a click. One can also do combination of registers and save them in a
>>memory
>>bank and then quickly change from one combination to another with just
>>click. Also, the air flow can be controlled, from 0 to 20, being able
>>to do
>>crescendos as well as glissandos, and if one leaves it in a very low
>>frequency, sound will come out fluctuating! Finally, and most
>>interesting,
>>it can receive Midi messages. One can program all notes to be played by
>>any
>>of the 4 keyboards (and of course one could make them all play as many
>>notes as one wants at the same time). Stops can be also changed with
>>midi,
>>though the answer is much slower than doing it manually.
>>Here's a video with Dominik Susteck (the church's organist) doing a
>>test:
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt28HjJTVgU
>>
>>For this piece I wrote all keys to be played with Csound's midiout,
>>creating 4 csound instruments that each would let me do different
>>ideas,
>>and I was controlling the air-flow and stop changes manually.
>>The interesting thing, technically speaking, was that I used Csound's
>>console as a score. I think it's a very interesting idea to apply. Of
>>course, sometimes it's a little bit difficult (depending on what one
>>writes
>>in the code) but I think it's a way to do live that's pretty direct. I
>>do
>>not know if any of you have ever done this. If so, I'be very
>>interesting to
>>know how was your experience.
>>
>>I hope you enjoy the piece!
>>
>>Santiago Bogac
>>
>>Csound mailing list
>>[hidden email]
>>https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

mdp

[Csnd] AW: [Csnd] New piece

mdp

Dear Santiago,

many thanks for sharing this piece of yours: very interesting exploration of the organ sound-materials!

Michele

Re: [Csnd] AW: [Csnd] New piece

Oeyvind Brandtsegg-3
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Dear Santiago,

many thanks for sharing this piece of yours: very interesting exploration of the organ sound-materials!

Michele

Re: [Csnd] AW: [Csnd] New piece

sbogacz
Dear all,

Thanks very much for your kind words! I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

Steven Yi, about your question.
I wrote all notes to be played in the Csound Score. Each time a note would be triggered, of course, would appear in the Console. So the Console was my "score". Because I didn't think of it days before the concert (actually just a couple), I didn't have time to do something more elaborate. Therefore, I also had with me a chronometer, because sometimes I would have to do things during a very long Csound note.
But I think that a more elaborate way could lead to a score reading with the Console itself, thus, maybe, giving new tools for live electronics (of course, if this hasn't been used yet).