Quantcast

[Csnd] New guy with a Q

Bob Bear
Hi everyone,

My name is Steve Jones, music tech student from the Staffs UK. Iv been using Csound now for about a month, and have ofcourse hit a problem! I'd really appreciate it if any of you fellas could put me onto the right tracks :

I been using Csound mostly for the pvoc, snwarper, fof / fog, granule, grain opcodes. Iv been able to get some interesting and on the most part very pleasing results! Now Im trying to put together some more traditional instruments, in an attempt to broaden my knowledge of the software. I thought a good start might be to create a multisampled instrument. So I got a bunch of choir multisamples together and set about writing some code. All was fine while using mono versions of the samples, but when I used the full stereo versions I encountered a weird error messeage - stereo loscil read from mono f-table, or something to that effect.

This was very strange, because I'd ensured that both the orc header, loscil opcodes, and f-table were all in stereo! I also tested the f-table with 'snwarperst' and it worked fine.

Any ideas where Im going wrong with this one?

Again, I really appreciate the assistance!

Regards,

Steve J

PS. These are the twi f-tables in question:

f 1 0 262144 1 "Percussion Mono.wav" 0 4 1 (works fine)

f 1 0 262144 1 "Percussion.wav" 0 4 2 (causes error)

Re: [Csnd] New guy with a Q

Peter Lakanen
> f 1 0 262144 1 "Percussion Mono.wav" 0 4 1 (works fine)
>
> f 1 0 262144 1 "Percussion.wav" 0 4 2 (causes error)

It's been a while since I coded any Csound, but I think the problem is
you have two f-tables with the same ID.

Try this:

f 1 0 262144 1 "Percussion Mono.wav" 0 4 1 (works fine)
f 2 0 262144 1 "Percussion.wav" 0 4 2 (causes error)

Note the "2" in the second line.  Be sure to update your instrument
and/or p-fields accordindingly.

-peter

--
   Peter Lakanen   [hidden email]
   Platinum Web Development  http://www.platinumweb.com
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: [Csnd] New guy with a Q - One More Thing

Peter Lakanen

It just occurred to me that perhaps you are not using both table
statements at the same time and were only providing them to demonstrate
the difference between your two attempts.

> All was fine while using mono versions of the
> samples, but when I used the full stereo versions I encountered a weird
> error messeage - stereo loscil read from mono f-table, or something to
> that effect.

Again, the caveat that I'm rusty on my Csound, but, as I recall, I don't
think you can load stereo sound files into f-tables.  Unless this has
been changed (quite possibly), you will need to split your stereo sound
file into two mono sound files and load them into separate f-tables and
process them in parallel.

Then again, I might be completely off base here.

-peter

--
   Peter Lakanen   [hidden email]
   Platinum Web Development  http://www.platinumweb.com
   1320 Terrace Street  Tallahassee, FL 32303
   850.508.4518   FAX: 850.681.1930
--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: [Csnd] New guy with a Q

jlato
Try this:
f 1 0 262144 1 "Percussion.wav" 0 4 0

Setting the channel parameter to 0 tells GEN 1 to load all channels of the
soundfile.  Setting it to 2 tells it to load just the second channel.  I think
this will fix your problem.

John Lato

Quoting Bob Bear <[hidden email]>:

> PS. These are the twi f-tables in question:
>
> f 1 0 262144 1 "Percussion Mono.wav" 0 4 1 (works fine)
>
> f 1 0 262144 1 "Percussion.wav" 0 4 2 (causes error)

Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: [Csnd] New Guy with a Q

Bob Bear
Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Unfortunately that has not rectified the problem. I have tried '0 4 2', '0 4 0' and '0 0 0' with no joy. What makes this so unusually is that these f statements work fine when read by other opcodes. Loscil just wont have it!

This isnt a MAJOR problem, since its unlikely I'll be using Csound for extensive sampling duties. But i must admit that its bothered me simply because i cant figure it out.

Again, thanks for the suggestion though.

btw, here are stripped down simple versions of my code. The mono version works fine, the stereo version doesnt. If there are any glaring mistakes please let me know:

;Mono Loscil Instrument

sr        =         44100
kr        =         4410
ksmps     =         10
nchnls    =         1

instr 1

iamp = 25000
kcps = 4
ifn = 1
asig loscil iamp, kcps, ifn
 out asig
endin

f 1 0 262144 1 "Percussion Mono.wav" 0 4 1
i 1 0 5

; Stereo Loscil Instrument

sr        =         44100
kr        =         4410
ksmps     =         10
nchnls    =         2

instr 1

iamp = 25000
kcps = 4
ifn = 1

asig1, asig2 loscil iamp, kcps, ifn
 out asig1, asig2
endin

f 1 0 262144 1 "Percussion.wav" 0 4 0
i 1 0 4

Yahoo! Messenger - want a free & easy way to contact your friends online?

Re: [Csnd] New Guy with a Q

Roberto José Osorio Goenaga
I think I see your problem...when running stereo, you must use "outs"  instead of "out".

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - want a free & easy way to contact your friends online?

Re: [Csnd] New guy with a Q

I have never used loscil but I might remark that one can use out with
stereo outputs -- it adjusts internally.  Been like that for years.
==John ffitch
--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: [Csnd] New guy with a Q

Roberto José Osorio Goenaga
cool...didn't know.

-R

>I have never used loscil but I might remark that one can use out with
> stereo outputs -- it adjusts internally.  Been like that for years.
> ==John ffitch
> --
> Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
>              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: [Csnd] New Guy with a Q

Bob Bear
Guys, you've nailed it!

I changed the table length field to zero and it worked just fine. I forgot that loscil could do this (it seems most others require a length). Excellent, now I can crack on get this instrument up and running.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance! I'll no doubt be back with more noob questions before the project is completed ;)

Regards,

Steve Jones

Yahoo! Messenger - want a free & easy way to contact your friends online?