Quantcast

[Csnd] New Piece

akjmicro
Demonstrating microcsound and that new instrument I developed from Victor's Karplus-Strong instrument:

Enjoy, comments welcome!

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.untwelve.org

Re: [Csnd] New Piece

Gleb
Congratulations, Aaron!

What kind of scale do you use in the piece?
Gleb Rogozinsky, PhD
Associated Professor
Interactive Arts Department
Saint-Petersburg University of Film and Television

Deputy Director of Medialab
Saint-Petersburg University of Telecommunications

Re: [Csnd] New Piece

d.vyd

Aaron, the timbres and composition are both beautiful. Thank you for sharing and raising my interest in microsound!

-d. vyd

Re: [Csnd] New Piece

Steven Yi
Hi Aaaron,

I enjoyed this piece very much, thanks!  Will you be (or have you
already) posted the source for the project?  I'd like to study the
piece further if possible.

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 8:43 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Aaron, the timbres and composition are both beautiful. Thank you for sharing
> and raising my interest in microsound!
>

> -d. vyd

Re: [Csnd] New Piece

akjmicro
Thank you for your interest and listens to the piece, everybody.

The piece is using 7-edo (equal division of the octave), so it has the property of semitones being expanded and whole-tones being squashed....so, basically, a diatonic scale with equal step sizes. It gives it that vaguely exotic, near-eastern sound. :D

I employed the technique of mensuration canon; at ~1 minute in, when the 'ghost-like' higher voice enters with an echo of the main line, it's at 2/3 the speed (or, alternatively, 3/2 the note lengths) of the main line. The 7-equal scale is forgiving of clashes that might ensue from this technique; otherwise, composing in such a way a-la Josquin Deprez or Ockeghem (check out the Josquin Missa L'homme armé super voces musicales, or Ockeghem's Missa Prolationum) is a much more demanding and time-consuming affair. I'm fond of the effect; to me, it's a bit like a kaleidoscopic room where you are experiencing the same narrative on multiple temporal planes. 7-equal also has the effect, for me, of heightening the effect of being 'suspended in time without a sense of necessary direction'. Debussy's early experiments with 6-edo (whole tone scale) were clearly after the same affect.

A little note on the compositional evolution: I wrote the main line and the "ghost echo" first; I liked it, but I felt something was missing. Something _grounding_. It was a complex melodic cycle, ending up being 157 '8th notes' long, and we needed some "digestive enzymes" for the ear. So I hit on the idea of a bass voice that would mostly drone a "tonic" (which sometimes moves and creates temporary tonal centers) and also serve as a temporal landmark for where we are in the melodic cycle, since the lines are highly syncopated. In the first iteration of composing the drone line, the bass entered exactly on the downbeat in the opening. But then, I tweaked it to be itself syncopated, and come in on the weaker parts of the beat. This gave the drone line it's own funky life, as well as anchoring the other voices. I felt that satisfied the need I was feeling....without that anchoring lower voice, it didn't quite gel the way I needed it to.

Steven, I'll respond a little later with a link to the source so you can see what's going on. I'll include the microcsound source file (.mc), the equivalent .sco file, and the orchestra instrument, which is basically the same instrument I posted a few days ago that Victor Lazzarini was so kind to share and let me hack away at.

Best.
AKJ.

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.untwelve.org

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aaaron,

I enjoyed this piece very much, thanks!  Will you be (or have you
already) posted the source for the project?  I'd like to study the
piece further if possible.

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 8:43 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Aaron, the timbres and composition are both beautiful. Thank you for sharing
> and raising my interest in microsound!
>

> -d. vyd
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can

Re: [Csnd] New Piece

akjmicro
For Steven and others:

The microcsound score:

The intermediate .sco file output by microcsound:

The only instrument used in the piece is # 13 in this file:

Thanks again for your interest,
AKJ

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.untwelve.org

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Aaron Krister Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Best.
AKJ.

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.untwelve.org

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aaaron,

I enjoyed this piece very much, thanks!  Will you be (or have you
already) posted the source for the project?  I'd like to study the
piece further if possible.

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 8:43 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Aaron, the timbres and composition are both beautiful. Thank you for sharing

This is great Aaron, many thanks for sharing this!