[Csnd] Lockhart Wavefolder

Steven Yi
Hi All,

I'd like to share a Csound UDO port of the “Virtual Analog Model of
the Lockhart Wavefolder” by Fabián Esqueda, Henri Pöntynen, Julian D.
Parker and Stefan Bilbao that was presented at SMC 2017. Information
about the original paper, links to the Csound UDO version, and example
audio available at:

https://kunstmusik.com/2019/05/17/lockhart-wavefolder/

The UDO port was a straightforward translation from the gen~ code
example found at the author's site:

http://research.spa.aalto.fi/publications/papers/smc17-wavefolder/

All credit to the original authors for their wonderful work!

All best,
Steven

Re: [Csnd] Lockhart Wavefolder

Jeanette C.
May 18 2019, Steven Yi has written:
> https://kunstmusik.com/2019/05/17/lockhart-wavefolder/
And bravo to you Steven! I love it! And it's just been that time of year
when I think about synths and modules and how I can't afford them and
would love a good wavefolder in software. Thank you!

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

With you I get so high
Lost in the crystal sky
You are this melody
That's where you take me <3
(Britney Spears)

Re: [Csnd] Lockhart Wavefolder

Great stuff!

> On 18 May 2019, at 03:23, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to share a Csound UDO port of the “Virtual Analog Model of
> the Lockhart Wavefolder” by Fabián Esqueda, Henri Pöntynen, Julian D.
> Parker and Stefan Bilbao that was presented at SMC 2017. Information
> about the original paper, links to the Csound UDO version, and example
> audio available at:
>
> https://kunstmusik.com/2019/05/17/lockhart-wavefolder/
>
> The UDO port was a straightforward translation from the gen~ code
> example found at the author's site:
>
> http://research.spa.aalto.fi/publications/papers/smc17-wavefolder/
>
> All credit to the original authors for their wonderful work!
>
> All best,
> Steven

Re: [Csnd] Lockhart Wavefolder

zappfinger
Very interesting, Steven!

Richard

On 18/05/2019 04:22, Steven Yi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to share a Csound UDO port of the “Virtual Analog Model of
> the Lockhart Wavefolder” by Fabián Esqueda, Henri Pöntynen, Julian D.
> Parker and Stefan Bilbao that was presented at SMC 2017. Information
> about the original paper, links to the Csound UDO version, and example
> audio available at:
>
> https://kunstmusik.com/2019/05/17/lockhart-wavefolder/
>
> The UDO port was a straightforward translation from the gen~ code
> example found at the author's site:
>
> http://research.spa.aalto.fi/publications/papers/smc17-wavefolder/
>
> All credit to the original authors for their wonderful work!
>
> All best,
> Steven

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Lockhart Wavefolder

Partev Barr Sarkissian

Very good.
Been following Mr Bilbao's work for sometime.
Met him at AES 2011 convention in Hammersmith, London.
Definite comes up with some good stuff, as usual.
Very good.

Thank you Steven,
-PBS

==================================

Re: [Csnd] Lockhart Wavefolder

Steven Yi
Thanks all, hope you enjoy!

I'd mention I think the work was primarily by Fabián Esqueda and Henri
Pöntynen. (I love Stefan's work though!).  The authors also published
models for a Serge and Buchla wavefolders that might be interesting to
port as well. (Will take a look after some other work, unless someone
else goes for it first. :) )

On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 11:46 PM Partev Barr Sarkissian
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very good.
> Been following Mr Bilbao's work for sometime.
> Met him at AES 2011 convention in Hammersmith, London.
> Definite comes up with some good stuff, as usual.
> Very good.
>

> Thank you Steven,
> -PBS
>

> ==================================

rorywalsh
Thanks for sharing Steven. I'm curious about using such a high
sampling rate, is this really more efficient than oversampling, or
just easier to implement? Did you see that in Bitwig's new modular
interface, all nodes run at 4x-oversampled?

On Mon, 20 May 2019 at 23:23, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks all, hope you enjoy!
>
> I'd mention I think the work was primarily by Fabián Esqueda and Henri
> Pöntynen. (I love Stefan's work though!).  The authors also published
> models for a Serge and Buchla wavefolders that might be interesting to
> port as well. (Will take a look after some other work, unless someone
> else goes for it first. :) )
>
> On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 11:46 PM Partev Barr Sarkissian
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Very good.
> > Been following Mr Bilbao's work for sometime.
> > Met him at AES 2011 convention in Hammersmith, London.
> > Definite comes up with some good stuff, as usual.
> > Very good.
> >

> > Thank you Steven,
> > -PBS
> >

> > ==================================

Oeyvind Brandtsegg-3
Very nice!
and brings up the question of generic approaches to oversampling,
that you also mentioned a few years back, Steven.
I guess some internal methods would be much better optimised in terms of performance, compared to doing the oversampling in orc code.

tir. 21. mai 2019 kl. 11:02 skrev Rory Walsh <[hidden email]>:
Thanks for sharing Steven. I'm curious about using such a high
sampling rate, is this really more efficient than oversampling, or
just easier to implement? Did you see that in Bitwig's new modular
interface, all nodes run at 4x-oversampled?

On Mon, 20 May 2019 at 23:23, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks all, hope you enjoy!
>
> I'd mention I think the work was primarily by Fabián Esqueda and Henri
> Pöntynen. (I love Stefan's work though!).  The authors also published
> models for a Serge and Buchla wavefolders that might be interesting to
> port as well. (Will take a look after some other work, unless someone
> else goes for it first. :) )
>
> On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 11:46 PM Partev Barr Sarkissian
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Very good.
> > Been following Mr Bilbao's work for sometime.
> > Met him at AES 2011 convention in Hammersmith, London.
> > Definite comes up with some good stuff, as usual.
> > Very good.
> >

> > Thank you Steven,
> > -PBS
> >

> > ==================================

That's interesting about the 4x-oversampled nodes, I hadn't been
following it.  I think the paper mentions 88.2 as 2x oversampling with
the antiderivative method as being sufficient compared to 4x and 8x
oversampling that might be done otherwise:

"To tackle the aliasing caused by the nonlinear nature of wavefolding,
the proposed model was extended to incorporate the firstorder
antiderivative antialiasing method. When combined with oversampling by
factor 2, the antialiased wavefolder model is free from perceivable
aliasing while still being suitable for real-time implementation."

You might try running it at 44100 and see if the sound quality works
for you. I *think* the Max patch demo was running at 44100 (a person
more experienced with Max/gen~ could confirm) and sounded okay to me,
same with the Csound example at 44100.

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 5:02 AM Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing Steven. I'm curious about using such a high
> sampling rate, is this really more efficient than oversampling, or
> just easier to implement? Did you see that in Bitwig's new modular
> interface, all nodes run at 4x-oversampled?
>
> On Mon, 20 May 2019 at 23:23, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks all, hope you enjoy!
> >
> > I'd mention I think the work was primarily by Fabián Esqueda and Henri
> > Pöntynen. (I love Stefan's work though!).  The authors also published
> > models for a Serge and Buchla wavefolders that might be interesting to
> > port as well. (Will take a look after some other work, unless someone
> > else goes for it first. :) )
> >
> > On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 11:46 PM Partev Barr Sarkissian
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >

> > > Very good.
> > > Been following Mr Bilbao's work for sometime.
> > > Met him at AES 2011 convention in Hammersmith, London.
> > > Definite comes up with some good stuff, as usual.
> > > Very good.
> > >

> > > Thank you Steven,
> > > -PBS
> > >

> > > ==================================

Yes, this was a topic from years ago that I'd love to have. I see that
SOUL lang has it built-in, though I haven't tried it.  (See
https://github.com/soul-lang/SOUL/blob/master/docs/SOUL_Language.md#processor-oversampling-and-undersampling).
The syntax is a bit quirky, but it does have the flexibility to run
choose interpolation types.  It'd be nice to have something either
like:

opcode test, a,a
  setoversampling(2, 0, 0) ;; set oversampling to 2x, 0 = Sinc interp
in, 0 = Sinc interp out

  asig xin
  aout init 0

  asig xout
endop

But that might not be as useful as being able to set oversampling from
the calling side of code. Perhaps something like:

instr Test
  asig = vco2(0.1, 440)

  aout @= [2,0,0] my_filter(asig)  ;; oversample by 2x, using sinc
interp for input, sinc interp for output
  aout @[2,0,0]= my_filter(asig)  ;; alternative syntax

endop

With csound inserting code to handle the oversampling processing on
the inputs and outputs of the opode call.  BTW, the above syntax
doesn't look great to me, but just speculating. We'd have to be very
careful about syntax so that we don't lose too much flexibility for
language design moving forward.

JUCE has oversampling modules so it's not really that surprising to see it in SOUL I guess. Did you try https://soul.dev/examples/ yet?

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very nice!
> and brings up the question of generic approaches to oversampling,
> that you also mentioned a few years back, Steven.
> I guess some internal methods would be much better optimised in terms of performance, compared to doing the oversampling in orc code.
>
> tir. 21. mai 2019 kl. 11:02 skrev Rory Walsh <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Thanks for sharing Steven. I'm curious about using such a high
>> sampling rate, is this really more efficient than oversampling, or
>> just easier to implement? Did you see that in Bitwig's new modular
>> interface, all nodes run at 4x-oversampled?
>>
>> On Mon, 20 May 2019 at 23:23, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks all, hope you enjoy!
>> >
>> > I'd mention I think the work was primarily by Fabián Esqueda and Henri
>> > Pöntynen. (I love Stefan's work though!).  The authors also published
>> > models for a Serge and Buchla wavefolders that might be interesting to
>> > port as well. (Will take a look after some other work, unless someone
>> > else goes for it first. :) )

I like the idea of enabling upsampling easily, like you suggest
But perhaps the requirement of doing it within an UDO is more inline with the practice of setksmps, which is a similar kind of context change?
best
Oeyvind

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very nice!
> and brings up the question of generic approaches to oversampling,
> that you also mentioned a few years back, Steven.
> I guess some internal methods would be much better optimised in terms of performance, compared to doing the oversampling in orc code.
>
> tir. 21. mai 2019 kl. 11:02 skrev Rory Walsh <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Thanks for sharing Steven. I'm curious about using such a high
>> sampling rate, is this really more efficient than oversampling, or
>> just easier to implement? Did you see that in Bitwig's new modular
>> interface, all nodes run at 4x-oversampled?
>>
>> On Mon, 20 May 2019 at 23:23, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks all, hope you enjoy!
>> >
>> > I'd mention I think the work was primarily by Fabián Esqueda and Henri
>> > Pöntynen. (I love Stefan's work though!).  The authors also published
>> > models for a Serge and Buchla wavefolders that might be interesting to
>> > port as well. (Will take a look after some other work, unless someone
>> > else goes for it first. :) )

Victor Lazzarini-2
If we can do it in an UDO, we can do it in an instrument too.

I suppose we could have a setsr() in similar way to setksmps, with optional parameters to define the resampling.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very nice!
> and brings up the question of generic approaches to oversampling,
> that you also mentioned a few years back, Steven.
> I guess some internal methods would be much better optimised in terms of performance, compared to doing the oversampling in orc code.
>
> tir. 21. mai 2019 kl. 11:02 skrev Rory Walsh <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Thanks for sharing Steven. I'm curious about using such a high
>> sampling rate, is this really more efficient than oversampling, or
>> just easier to implement? Did you see that in Bitwig's new modular
>> interface, all nodes run at 4x-oversampled?
>>
>> On Mon, 20 May 2019 at 23:23, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks all, hope you enjoy!
>> >
>> > I'd mention I think the work was primarily by Fabián Esqueda and Henri
>> > Pöntynen. (I love Stefan's work though!).  The authors also published
>> > models for a Serge and Buchla wavefolders that might be interesting to
>> > port as well. (Will take a look after some other work, unless someone
>> > else goes for it first. :) )

I think a setsr() for UDOs would be a good way of doing this. Nice and clean. For what it's worth, I had a go a creating a simple waveshaper with 2x-oversampling last year. I'm not sure my implementation is correct so I'm sharing it here for review. I used scipy.signal.remez() to generate the filter coefficients. Let me know if you spot any glaring errors.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very nice!
> and brings up the question of generic approaches to oversampling,
> that you also mentioned a few years back, Steven.
> I guess some internal methods would be much better optimised in terms of performance, compared to doing the oversampling in orc code.
>
> tir. 21. mai 2019 kl. 11:02 skrev Rory Walsh <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Thanks for sharing Steven. I'm curious about using such a high
>> sampling rate, is this really more efficient than oversampling, or
>> just easier to implement? Did you see that in Bitwig's new modular
>> interface, all nodes run at 4x-oversampled?
>>
>> On Mon, 20 May 2019 at 23:23, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks all, hope you enjoy!
>> >
>> > I'd mention I think the work was primarily by Fabián Esqueda and Henri
>> > Pöntynen. (I love Stefan's work though!).  The authors also published
>> > models for a Serge and Buchla wavefolders that might be interesting to
>> > port as well. (Will take a look after some other work, unless someone
>> > else goes for it first. :) )

oversampling.csd (2K) Download Attachment