[Csnd] Is MIDI output timing accurate?

Tobiah
I generated a repeating one measure drum score.  I run
it on an orchestra that just passes MIDI events to the
portaudio driver.  I chose a virtual MIDI cable as output
(LoopBe) that goes into a Reaper track with a Kontakt drum
instrument as the effect.  All goes well, but the timing
of the events seems a little erratic, and I suspect that
Csound is the culprit.  I remember reading on this list
long ago something about the uncertainty of when a MIDI
event may actually go out.  I'm setting ksmps=1 in case
that matters.

Here is some sample audio.  The score is timed correctly,
the values coming from a score generator program.  I believe
I'm hearing imperfect timing.

Thanks for any input.

Tobiah

drums.wav (2M) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] Is MIDI output timing accurate?

PMA-3
Hi Tobiah --

FWIW, I've had the same issue with MIDI sans Csound.
In 4/4 perpetually alternating a single quarter-note
and four 16ths, the 16th-group takes longer than the
quarter.  Not by much -- just enough to "overstuff".

I've been feeding MIDI output to PianoTeq.  Whether
in process the latter compounds this time-bloating,
I can't quite tell.

Good luck!

Peter

On 10/01/2017 10:55 AM, Tobiah wrote:

> I generated a repeating one measure drum score.  I run
> it on an orchestra that just passes MIDI events to the
> portaudio driver.  I chose a virtual MIDI cable as output
> (LoopBe) that goes into a Reaper track with a Kontakt drum
> instrument as the effect.  All goes well, but the timing
> of the events seems a little erratic, and I suspect that
> Csound is the culprit.  I remember reading on this list
> long ago something about the uncertainty of when a MIDI
> event may actually go out.  I'm setting ksmps=1 in case
> that matters.
>
> Here is some sample audio.  The score is timed correctly,
> the values coming from a score generator program.  I believe
> I'm hearing imperfect timing.
>

> Thanks for any input.
>

> Tobiah

Re: [Csnd] Is MIDI output timing accurate?

genell
I seem to remember someone experiencing timing improvement by using the --sample-accurate. It was probably k-rate timing and if you're using ksmps=1 it might not make a difference but it's easy to try out.

Regards
Anders

> 1 okt. 2017 kl. 16:55 skrev Tobiah <[hidden email]>:
>
> I generated a repeating one measure drum score.  I run
> it on an orchestra that just passes MIDI events to the
> portaudio driver.  I chose a virtual MIDI cable as output
> (LoopBe) that goes into a Reaper track with a Kontakt drum
> instrument as the effect.  All goes well, but the timing
> of the events seems a little erratic, and I suspect that
> Csound is the culprit.  I remember reading on this list
> long ago something about the uncertainty of when a MIDI
> event may actually go out.  I'm setting ksmps=1 in case
> that matters.
>
> Here is some sample audio.  The score is timed correctly,
> the values coming from a score generator program.  I believe
> I'm hearing imperfect timing.
>

> Thanks for any input.
>

> Tobiah

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> <drums.wav>

Re: [Csnd] Is MIDI output timing accurate?

Tobiah
You mean with cabbage, right?  I've never gotten the vst version
of csound to run in Reaper.

Tobiah

On 10/03/2017 02:11 AM, Rory Walsh wrote:
> What was the problem?

It just can't load the .dll.  I'm talking about
csoundVST though, not cabbage.  I guess I'll have to
give cabbage a go.  With cabbage, can I just edit the
score and orc files without reloading anything from Reaper?

How does cabbage react when I manipulate the transport, pausing,
rewinding, etc.?

Thanks

Tobiah

> [...]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>         https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>         <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs
>         reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>         <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs
>         and features can be posted here
>

>     Csound mailing list
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>     <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND>
>     Send bugs reports to
>     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>     <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues>
>     Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>

> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Is MIDI output timing accurate?

Re Cabbage, you'll have to re-instantiate the plugin if you make changes to its code. You can query what the host is doing at any time by using some reserved channels. For instance, this code will give you all the info the host provides to plugins:

kBPM chnget "HOST_BPM"
kIsPlaying chnget "IS_PLAYING"
kIsRecording chnget "IS_RECORDING"
kTimeInSeconds chnget "TIME_IN_SECONDS"
kPPQPosition chnget "HOST_PPQ_POS"
kTimeInSamples chnget "TIME_IN_SAMPLES"
kTimeSigNum chnget "TIME_SIG_NUM"
kTimeSigDenom chnget "TIME_SIG_DENOM"

        <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:

[...]

Can you point me right to the installer I'd use?
There was some confusion about this recently.

Thanks,

Tobiah

On 10/4/2017 8:44 AM, Michael Gogins wrote:

> [...]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>         https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>         <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs
>         reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>         <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs
>         and features can be posted here
>

>     Csound mailing list
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>     <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND>
>     Send bugs reports to
>     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>     <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues>
>     Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>

> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Is MIDI output timing accurate?

You can find the OSX and Windows installers for the current beta version here:
And here's a short video demo showing how to export your instruments and bring them into a host as a plugin. Note the videos show a slightly older version of Cabbage, but the same procedure works with the latest beta version.

        <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:

[...]

There may be some confusion here.  I was asking Michael about
a direct link to the csound installer that gave him a vst .dll
that worked with Reaper.

Thanks

On 10/05/2017 01:57 AM, Rory Walsh wrote:

> [...]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>         https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>         <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs
>         reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>         <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs
>         and features can be posted here
>

>     Csound mailing list
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>     <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND>
>     Send bugs reports to
>     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>     <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues>
>     Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>

> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Is MIDI output timing accurate?

Michael Gogins-2
The installer is an "Artifact" of the AppVeyor build at
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/csound/csound/branch/develop. There is
a new installer from time to time as the automatic AppVeyor builds
succeed. The latest artifacts are at
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/csound/csound/branch/develop/artifacts.
If the current build has failed, click on the "HISTORY" button at
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/csound/csound to find the last one
that succeeded.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>         <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs
>>>         reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>         <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs
>>>         and features can be posted here
>>>

>>>     Csound mailing list
>>>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>>     <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND>
>>>     Send bugs reports to
>>>     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>     <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues>
>>>     Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>>>

>>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
>>> be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Is MIDI output timing accurate?

Call me stupid but I can't figure out where to get the installer from
those links.  Would you be so kind as to send me the actual installer
as an attachment?

Thanks

On 10/05/2017 09:15 AM, Michael Gogins wrote:

> The installer is an "Artifact" of the AppVeyor build at
> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/csound/csound/branch/develop. There is
> a new installer from time to time as the automatic AppVeyor builds
> succeed. The latest artifacts are at
> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/csound/csound/branch/develop/artifacts.
> If the current build has failed, click on the "HISTORY" button at
> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/csound/csound to find the last one
> that succeeded.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>

> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry. My mistake. I'll not interfere again ;)
>>
>> On 5 October 2017 at 16:43, Tobiah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> There may be some confusion here.  I was asking Michael about
>>> a direct link to the csound installer that gave him a vst .dll
>>> that worked with Reaper.
>>>
>>> Thanks

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>

>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
>> be posted here

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Is MIDI output timing accurate?

genell
Here?

Regards,
Anders

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

    Can you point me right to the installer I'd use?
    There was some confusion about this recently.

    Thanks,

    Tobiah

    On 10/4/2017 8:44 AM, Michael Gogins wrote:

        The current version on appveyor works for me in Reaper.

        On Oct 2, 2017 8:56 PM, "Tobiah" <[hidden email]
        <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]
        <[hidden email]>>> wrote:

             You mean with cabbage, right?  I've never gotten the vst
        version
             of csound to run in Reaper.

             Tobiah

             On 10/1/2017 11:38 AM, Rory Walsh wrote:

                 Hi Tobiah. Why not simply run Csound inside Reaper
        rather than
                 patching MIDI signals around the place? I can't say for
        certain
                 the timing issues will disappear but I expect things
        might improve.

                 On 1 October 2017 at 16:46, PMA <[hidden email]
        <[hidden email]>
                 <[hidden email]
        <[hidden email]>> <[hidden email]

        <[hidden email]>