[Csnd] Forth

12

[Csnd] Forth

akjmicro
I've been learning a little Forth. I know it's not a widely or commonly used language in desktop environments; more used still for embedded or 'no OS' scenarios -- but it's interesting and minimal, and actually quite zippy and powerful.

It also has an extremely minimal syntax akin to Lisp/Scheme, in fact, one could argue that it's the simplest possible language with *zero* syntax; even simpler than Lisp/Scheme.

Are there any projects that integrate Csound-like opcode DSP in Forth? Or ways to integrate Forth and Csound?

I can see it being an interesting way to do live-coding.

Steven Yi, I imagine, you've investigated Forth, and/or you'd be interested to.

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.untwelve.org

Re: [Csnd] Forth

akjmicro
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Python guy, too...I just like geeking out about different languages, language paradigms, and the history computer languages. There's something compelling about a language that can build itself from the ground up, as Forth and Lisp historically have done....

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.untwelve.org

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Dave Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yup...I've fooled around with Haskell, too!

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.untwelve.org

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Anton Kholomiov <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

PMA-3
I got fairly acquainted with Forth some decades ago, and shared
the interest you've expressed.  But I backed off, after sensing
that the attention I'd wanted to devote to algorithms was being
commandeered for stack operations.  That's the non-*zero* about
Forth syntax -- but maybe you're suited to take this in stride.

Peter Armstrong

On 02/24/2017 11:58 AM, Aaron Krister Johnson wrote:I

> I've been learning a little Forth. I know it's not a widely or commonly
> used language in desktop environments; more used still for embedded or 'no
> OS' scenarios -- but it's interesting and minimal, and actually quite zippy
> and powerful.
>
> It also has an extremely minimal syntax akin to Lisp/Scheme, in fact, one
> could argue that it's the simplest possible language with *zero* syntax;
> even simpler than Lisp/Scheme.
>
> Are there any projects that integrate Csound-like opcode DSP in Forth? Or
> ways to integrate Forth and Csound?
>
> I can see it being an interesting way to do live-coding.
>
> Steven Yi, I imagine, you've investigated Forth, and/or you'd be interested
> to.
>
> Aaron Krister Johnson
> http://www.untwelve.org

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Forth

Thanks Forrest for posting that, I was just about to mention it.  I
looked a little at Forth, enough to write the example1.fs file there.
I can't say it really suits my way of thinking well, though I do find
it elegant in its own way.  Perhaps that file can be useful for
further Forth explorations. :)

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Forrest Curo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://github.com/csound/csoundAPI_examples/tree/master/forth
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Aaron Krister Johnson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Yup...I've fooled around with Haskell, too!
>>
>> Aaron Krister Johnson
>> http://www.untwelve.org
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Anton Kholomiov
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why not to:
>>>
>>> https://www.tryhaskell.org/

>>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
>>> be posted here
>>

>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
>> be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Forth

mitchk
Have you looked at Sporth?

Regards,
Mitch

_____________________________
[...]

http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csnd-Forth-tp5754798p5754804.html
To start a new topic under Csound - General, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Csound, click here.
NAML

Re: [Csnd] Forth

Paul Batchelor-2
Forth on the Csound mailing list? I can't not respond to this.

I highly recommend exploring stack-based languages for creative endeavors. Actually, I really recommend that you *build* a stack based language for your creative endeavors in order to get the full experience. They are really fun little languages in every way. They are simple, terse, and very fast to parse. They make for great live-coding languages!

I see that someone has beaten me to posting about Sporth, a Forth-like language I've been developing for a few years now.

Most of the DSP algorithms in Sporth come directly from Csound via my library Soundpipe. In a way, Sporth is kind of like Csound with a stack-based interface.

I've had a great time developing and learning how to "think" in Sporth.

As a compositional practice, I've been writing sketches and etudes in Sporth called "sporthlings", you can find them here:

A youtube playlist of them can be found here:

More recently, I've been writing a book on Sporth which analyzes several Sporth patches that I've written:

If anyone has any questions about Sporth, feel free to reach out to me offlist at my other email thisispaulbatchelor at gmail dot com

Cheers,

-P

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 10:22 AM, mitchk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have you looked at Sporth?

Regards,
Mitch

_____________________________
[...]

Sent from the Csound - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: [Csnd] Forth

Peter P.-2
I have come across packet forth for video processing in Pd a while ago:
http://zwizwa.be/packetforth/

Re: [Csnd] Forth

Graham Franklin
Ages ago there was a CAD program for the Atari ST called Cyber Studio
CAD3D and it had a scripting scheme called Cybermate which is Forth
based, its quite an interesting use of Forth.I found this page
http://doudoroff.com/atari/cybermate.html

Graham

On Fri, 2017-02-24 at 13:10 -0500, PMA wrote:

> [...]

> > fact, one
> > could argue that it's the simplest possible language with *zero*
> > syntax;
> > even simpler than Lisp/Scheme.
> >
> > Are there any projects that integrate Csound-like opcode DSP in
> > Forth? Or
> > ways to integrate Forth and Csound?
> >
> > I can see it being an interesting way to do live-coding.
> >
> > Steven Yi, I imagine, you've investigated Forth, and/or you'd be
> > interested
> > to.
> >
> > Aaron Krister Johnson
> > http://www.untwelve.org
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

thanks that looks really interesting

Graham

On Fri, 2017-02-24 at 11:22 -0700, mitchk wrote:

> Have you looked at Sporth?
>
> https://paulbatchelor.github.io/proj/sporth
>
> Regards,
> Mitch
>

> _____________________________

Yes, Soundpipe can do realtime audio. However, Soundpipe doesn't have any platform specific implementations. You'd need to implement the platform-specific code in charge of filling the buffer.

-P

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 4:23 AM, Graham Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
thanks that looks really interesting

Graham

On Fri, 2017-02-24 at 11:22 -0700, mitchk wrote:
> Have you looked at Sporth?
>
> https://paulbatchelor.github.io/proj/sporth
>
> Regards,
> Mitch
>

> _____________________________

Fascinating stuff, Paul...I'll have to take a look when I have a longer amount of free time :)

Best,
AKJ

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.untwelve.org

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Paul Batchelor <[hidden email]> wrote:
Interesting reads about Sporth and SoundPipe. Can SoundPipe do direct audio out, or does it always write a .wav file?

Yes, Soundpipe can do realtime audio. However, Soundpipe doesn't have any platform specific implementations. You'd need to implement the platform-specific code in charge of filling the buffer.

-P

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 4:23 AM, Graham Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
thanks that looks really interesting

Graham

On Fri, 2017-02-24 at 11:22 -0700, mitchk wrote:
> Have you looked at Sporth?
>
> https://paulbatchelor.github.io/proj/sporth
>
> Regards,
> Mitch
>

> _____________________________

phil jones
Does anyone remember AMPLE, the language on the Music 500 system for
the old BBC Micro in the 80s?

http://www.colinfraser.com/m5000/m5000.htm

If I remember rightly that was a kind of Forthlike language with a
bunch of music primitives built in. (For driving the 8 voice FM synth)

There also seems to be a new Forth-like soft-synth for low power
embedded boards by Karsten Schmidt

https://github.com/thi-ng/synstack

Phil

On 26 February 2017 at 19:18, Aaron Krister Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fascinating stuff, Paul...I'll have to take a look when I have a longer
> amount of free time :)
>
> Best,
> AKJ
>
> Aaron Krister Johnson
> http://www.untwelve.org
>
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Paul Batchelor <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> > Interesting reads about Sporth and SoundPipe. Can SoundPipe do direct
>> > audio out, or does it always write a .wav file?
>>
>> Yes, Soundpipe can do realtime audio. However, Soundpipe doesn't have any
>> platform specific implementations. You'd need to implement the
>> platform-specific code in charge of filling the buffer.
>>
>> -P
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 4:23 AM, Graham Franklin
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> thanks that looks really interesting
>>>
>>> Graham

Re: [Csnd] Forth

akjmicro
Thanks, Phil...the synstack examples on Soundcloud are quite fun.

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.untwelve.org

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 9:46 AM, phil jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone remember AMPLE, the language on the Music 500 system for
the old BBC Micro in the 80s?

http://www.colinfraser.com/m5000/m5000.htm

If I remember rightly that was a kind of Forthlike language with a
bunch of music primitives built in. (For driving the 8 voice FM synth)

There also seems to be a new Forth-like soft-synth for low power
embedded boards by Karsten Schmidt

https://github.com/thi-ng/synstack

Phil

On 26 February 2017 at 19:18, Aaron Krister Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Fascinating stuff, Paul...I'll have to take a look when I have a longer
> amount of free time :)
>
> Best,
> AKJ
>
> Aaron Krister Johnson
> http://www.untwelve.org
>
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Paul Batchelor <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> > Interesting reads about Sporth and SoundPipe. Can SoundPipe do direct
>> > audio out, or does it always write a .wav file?
>>
>> Yes, Soundpipe can do realtime audio. However, Soundpipe doesn't have any
>> platform specific implementations. You'd need to implement the
>> platform-specific code in charge of filling the buffer.
>>
>> -P
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 4:23 AM, Graham Franklin
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> thanks that looks really interesting
>>>
>>> Graham

Yes, both my father and the department had one of these; still haave the
manual somewhere

12