[Csnd] Distorted Mono inputs with sounding, diskin, diskin2 and sndwarp

[Csnd] Distorted Mono inputs with sounding, diskin, diskin2 and sndwarp

Ruben Sverre Gjertsen-2
Hello,

I’m having problems getting proper sound with mono inputs using soundin, diskin, diskin2 and sndwarp. I attach a csd file.

I’m using two input files in this example.

Wav 96 kHz 32-bit mono:
Ray_HansdpaDN32.wav

Wav 96 kHz 24-bit mono:
Ray_HansdpaDN.wav

With this test score I find:
32-bit file with soundin is heavily clipped, not recognizable.
24-bit file with soundin is ok.
32-bit file with sndwarp is heavily clipped.
24-bit file with sndwarp is heavily clipped.
I have tested this with Csound 6.10, 6.9.1 and 5.18 with the same result.

I also came across cases where the clipping would go on and off in the middle of reading a file, this looks very unstable. There doesn’t seem to be a problem at all with 16-channel inputs.

Any ideas why this is happening or workarounds?
Should all inputs be converted to a particular bit-rate and samplerate? I would like to use the best available sound quality.

Best
Ruben Gjertsen

BrokenMonoDiskin.csd (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] Distorted Mono inputs with sounding, diskin, diskin2 and sndwarp

Ruben Sverre Gjertsen-2
It seems the workaround is to add an empthy channel 2 to all the sound files and read them as stereo. That sounds much better. It would be great to have working mono inputs though.

> 21. mar. 2018 kl. 00.29 skrev Ruben Sverre Gjertsen <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello,
>
> I’m having problems getting proper sound with mono inputs using soundin, diskin, diskin2 and sndwarp. I attach a csd file.
>
> I’m using two input files in this example.
>
> Wav 96 kHz 32-bit mono:
> Ray_HansdpaDN32.wav
>
> Wav 96 kHz 24-bit mono:
> Ray_HansdpaDN.wav
>
> With this test score I find:
> 32-bit file with soundin is heavily clipped, not recognizable.
> 24-bit file with soundin is ok.
> 32-bit file with sndwarp is heavily clipped.
> 24-bit file with sndwarp is heavily clipped.
> I have tested this with Csound 6.10, 6.9.1 and 5.18 with the same result.
>
> I also came across cases where the clipping would go on and off in the middle of reading a file, this looks very unstable. There doesn’t seem to be a problem at all with 16-channel inputs.
>
> Any ideas why this is happening or workarounds?
> Should all inputs be converted to a particular bit-rate and samplerate? I would like to use the best available sound quality.
>
> Best
> Ruben Gjertsen

> <BrokenMonoDiskin.csd>

Re: [Csnd] Distorted Mono inputs with sounding, diskin, diskin2 and sndwarp

I don’t know about sndwarp because I could not test it here with my soundfile, but I tested a mono file at 96k with
soundin and diskin and could not find any problems.  This is the latest (6.11), but since your problem was with
several versions of Csound, I’d risk saying the problem is with the input soundfile. We can only assess it if
we have the soundfile to test.

> On 20 Mar 2018, at 23:29, Ruben Sverre Gjertsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I’m having problems getting proper sound with mono inputs using soundin, diskin, diskin2 and sndwarp. I attach a csd file.
>
> I’m using two input files in this example.
>
> Wav 96 kHz 32-bit mono:
> Ray_HansdpaDN32.wav
>
> Wav 96 kHz 24-bit mono:
> Ray_HansdpaDN.wav
>
> With this test score I find:
> 32-bit file with soundin is heavily clipped, not recognizable.
> 24-bit file with soundin is ok.
> 32-bit file with sndwarp is heavily clipped.
> 24-bit file with sndwarp is heavily clipped.
> I have tested this with Csound 6.10, 6.9.1 and 5.18 with the same result.
>
> I also came across cases where the clipping would go on and off in the middle of reading a file, this looks very unstable. There doesn’t seem to be a problem at all with 16-channel inputs.
>
> Any ideas why this is happening or workarounds?
> Should all inputs be converted to a particular bit-rate and samplerate? I would like to use the best available sound quality.
>
> Best
> Ruben Gjertsen

> <BrokenMonoDiskin.csd>

Re: [Csnd] Distorted Mono inputs with sounding, diskin, diskin2 and sndwarp

Ruben Sverre Gjertsen-2
Hello,

I attach the two mono files.

Ruben

> 21. mar. 2018 kl. 17.16 skrev Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]>:
>
> I don’t know about sndwarp because I could not test it here with my soundfile, but I tested a mono file at 96k with

> soundin and diskin and could not find any problems.  This is the latest (6.11), but since your problem was with

> several versions of Csound, I’d risk saying the problem is with the input soundfile. We can only assess it if
> we have the soundfile to test.
> ========================
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 20 Mar 2018, at 23:29, Ruben Sverre Gjertsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I’m having problems getting proper sound with mono inputs using soundin, diskin, diskin2 and sndwarp. I attach a csd file.
>>
>> I’m using two input files in this example.
>>
>> Wav 96 kHz 32-bit mono:
>> Ray_HansdpaDN32.wav
>>
>> Wav 96 kHz 24-bit mono:
>> Ray_HansdpaDN.wav
>>
>> With this test score I find:
>> 32-bit file with soundin is heavily clipped, not recognizable.
>> 24-bit file with soundin is ok.
>> 32-bit file with sndwarp is heavily clipped.
>> 24-bit file with sndwarp is heavily clipped.
>> I have tested this with Csound 6.10, 6.9.1 and 5.18 with the same result.
>>
>> I also came across cases where the clipping would go on and off in the middle of reading a file, this looks very unstable. There doesn’t seem to be a problem at all with 16-channel inputs.
>>
>> Any ideas why this is happening or workarounds?
>> Should all inputs be converted to a particular bit-rate and samplerate? I would like to use the best available sound quality.
>>
>> Best
>> Ruben Gjertsen

>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> <BrokenMonoDiskin.csd>

Sounds.zip (33M) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] Distorted Mono inputs with sounding, diskin, diskin2 and sndwarp

jpff
Those files are now valid wav files!

sndfile-info Sounds/*.wav

Error : Not able to open input file Sounds/Ray_HansdpaDN32.wav.
File : Sounds/Ray_HansdpaDN32.wav
Length : 21368280
RIFF : 21368272
WAVE
fmt  : 16
   Format        : 0x1 => WAVE_FORMAT_PCM
   Channels      : 1
   Sample Rate   : 96000
   Block Align   : 4
   Bit Width     : 32
   Bytes/sec     : 384000
LIST : 322
   INFO
     ICRD : Mon Mar 19 22:19:01 2018

     ICMT : Command:"/Applications/AudioSculpt 3.4.5/AudioSculpt
3.4.5.app/Contents/MacOS/supervp" -xp_pipe -t -A -Z -B0.000000 -E55.000000
"-S/Users/rubengjertsen/Documents/LYD/JohannesKirken/WWW Johanneskirken
files/Ray Main/Ray_H dpa.wav" -Np0 -M0.100000001490116s `KE
TH
AEp
     *** T : 1140875636
   Unknown chunk marker at position 370. Resynching.
Have 0 marker at position 383 (0x17F).

Error in WAV file. No 'data' chunk marker.
Error : Not able to open input file Sounds/Ray_HansdpaDN.wav.
File : Sounds/Ray_HansdpaDN.wav
Length : 32175896
RIFF : 32175888
WAVE
fmt  : 16
   Format        : 0x1 => WAVE_FORMAT_PCM
   Channels      : 2
   Sample Rate   : 96000
   Block Align   : 6
   Bit Width     : 24
   Bytes/sec     : 576000
LIST : 322
   INFO
     ICRD : Mon Mar 19 22:19:01 2018

     ICMT : Command:"/Applications/AudioSculpt 3.4.5/AudioSculpt
3.4.5.app/Contents/MacOS/supervp" -xp_pipe -t -A -Z -B0.000000 -E55.000000
"-S/Users/rubengjertsen/Documents/LYD/JohannesKirken/WWW Johanneskirken
files/Ray Main/Ray_H dpa.wav" -Np0 -M0.100000001490116s #)+TH
ae
AEp
     *** T : 1711300980
   Unknown chunk marker at position 370. Resynching.
Have 0 marker at position 383 (0x17F).

Error in WAV file. No 'data' chunk marker.

Re: [Csnd] Distorted Mono inputs with sounding, diskin, diskin2 and sndwarp

jpff
On the other hand audacity can read te file and then exporting it seems to
fix some of it, and the timewarp is reasonable.  Suggest you sanitise the
wav files either viaaudacity or otherwise

==John ff

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018, jpff wrote:

> Those files are now valid wav files!
>
> sndfile-info Sounds/*.wav
>
> Error : Not able to open input file Sounds/Ray_HansdpaDN32.wav.
> File : Sounds/Ray_HansdpaDN32.wav
> Length : 21368280
> RIFF : 21368272
> WAVE
> fmt  : 16
>  Format        : 0x1 => WAVE_FORMAT_PCM
>  Channels      : 1
>  Sample Rate   : 96000
>  Block Align   : 4
>  Bit Width     : 32
>  Bytes/sec     : 384000
> LIST : 322
>  INFO
>    ICRD : Mon Mar 19 22:19:01 2018
>
>    ICMT : Command:"/Applications/AudioSculpt 3.4.5/AudioSculpt
> 3.4.5.app/Contents/MacOS/supervp" -xp_pipe -t -A -Z -B0.000000 -E55.000000
> "-S/Users/rubengjertsen/Documents/LYD/JohannesKirken/WWW Johanneskirken
> files/Ray Main/Ray_H dpa.wav" -Np0 -M0.100000001490116s `KE
> TH
> AEp
>    *** T : 1140875636
>  Unknown chunk marker at position 370. Resynching.
> Have 0 marker at position 383 (0x17F).
>
> Error in WAV file. No 'data' chunk marker.
> Error : Not able to open input file Sounds/Ray_HansdpaDN.wav.
> File : Sounds/Ray_HansdpaDN.wav
> Length : 32175896
> RIFF : 32175888
> WAVE
> fmt  : 16
>  Format        : 0x1 => WAVE_FORMAT_PCM
>  Channels      : 2
>  Sample Rate   : 96000
>  Block Align   : 6
>  Bit Width     : 24
>  Bytes/sec     : 576000
> LIST : 322
>  INFO
>    ICRD : Mon Mar 19 22:19:01 2018
>
>    ICMT : Command:"/Applications/AudioSculpt 3.4.5/AudioSculpt
> 3.4.5.app/Contents/MacOS/supervp" -xp_pipe -t -A -Z -B0.000000 -E55.000000
> "-S/Users/rubengjertsen/Documents/LYD/JohannesKirken/WWW Johanneskirken
> files/Ray Main/Ray_H dpa.wav" -Np0 -M0.100000001490116s #)+TH
> ae
> AEp
>    *** T : 1711300980
>  Unknown chunk marker at position 370. Resynching.
> Have 0 marker at position 383 (0x17F).
>
> Error in WAV file. No 'data' chunk marker.
>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Distorted Mono inputs with sounding, diskin, diskin2 and sndwarp

Ruben Sverre Gjertsen-2
Thank you, I used Audacity, and I have no problems with the mono file snow.
Ruben