[Csnd] Delayed convolution

Ruben Sverre Gjertsen-2
Hello,

I’m trying convolution with impulse responses, and I’m having the problem that the whole reverb is delayed about 12 seconds from the original sound. The delays in the impulse response files are always less than a second, why do they become so much longer with ‘convolve’?
The soundfiles are 96 kHz, 4 channel B-format, analyzed with cvanal (default settings). I’m not sure I have a program to open and visualize cvanal files to see what’s going on.

This is how the convolution is applied to a first order b-format coming from global variables:
aw   convolve arin1*kamp, ifilcod,1
ax    convolve arin2*kamp, ifilcod,2
ay   convolve arin3*kamp, ifilcod,3
az    convolve arin4*kamp, ifilcod,4

A negative delay could have solved the problem non-realtime:
aw delay aw,-12
ax delay ax,-12
ay delay ay,-12
az delay az,-12

But that was not legal:
:: INIT ERROR in instr 99: illegal delay time
:: aw delay aw -12 0
:

Best
Ruben

Re: [Csnd] Delayed convolution

jpff
I asume you read the manual?  It states

..... Determine initial delay, if any, of impulse response. If the impulse
response has not had the initial delay removed, then you can skip this
step. If it has been removed, then the only way you will know the initial
delay is if the information has been provided separately. For this
example, let's assume that the initial delay is 60ms (0.06s)

Determine the required delay to apply to the dry signal, to align it with
the convolved signal:

   If kr = 441:
         1/kr = 0.0023, which is <= IRdur (1.379s), so:
         Delay1  = ceil(IRdur * kr) / kr
                 = ceil(608.14) / 441
                 = 609/441
                 = 1.38s

   Accounting for the initial delay:
         Delay2  = 0.06s
    Total delay  = delay1 - delay2
                 = 1.38 - 0.06
                 = 1.32s

It is some time since I used it but it did seem to solve my problems with
the delay.

Not sure that helps!

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018, Ruben Sverre Gjertsen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m trying convolution with impulse responses, and I’m having the problem that the whole reverb is delayed about 12 seconds from the original sound. The delays in the impulse response files are always less than a second, why do they become so much longer with ‘convolve’?
> The soundfiles are 96 kHz, 4 channel B-format, analyzed with cvanal (default settings). I’m not sure I have a program to open and visualize cvanal files to see what’s going on.
>
> This is how the convolution is applied to a first order b-format coming from global variables:
> aw   convolve arin1*kamp, ifilcod,1
> ax    convolve arin2*kamp, ifilcod,2
> ay   convolve arin3*kamp, ifilcod,3
> az    convolve arin4*kamp, ifilcod,4
>
> A negative delay could have solved the problem non-realtime:
> aw delay aw,-12
> ax delay ax,-12
> ay delay ay,-12
> az delay az,-12
>
> But that was not legal:
> :: INIT ERROR in instr 99: illegal delay time
> :: aw delay aw -12 0
> :
>
> Best
> Ruben

Re: [Csnd] Delayed convolution

Not sure about in ambisonics but my use delays te dry signal not the
convolved one

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018, Ruben Sverre Gjertsen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m trying convolution with impulse responses, and I’m having the problem that the whole reverb is delayed about 12 seconds from the original sound. The delays in the impulse response files are always less than a second, why do they become so much longer with ‘convolve’?
> The soundfiles are 96 kHz, 4 channel B-format, analyzed with cvanal (default settings). I’m not sure I have a program to open and visualize cvanal files to see what’s going on.
>
> This is how the convolution is applied to a first order b-format coming from global variables:
> aw   convolve arin1*kamp, ifilcod,1
> ax    convolve arin2*kamp, ifilcod,2
> ay   convolve arin3*kamp, ifilcod,3
> az    convolve arin4*kamp, ifilcod,4
>
> A negative delay could have solved the problem non-realtime:
> aw delay aw,-12
> ax delay ax,-12
> ay delay ay,-12
> az delay az,-12
>
> But that was not legal:
> :: INIT ERROR in instr 99: illegal delay time
> :: aw delay aw -12 0
> :
>
> Best
> Ruben

Re: [Csnd] Delayed convolution

joachim-3
yes, delay the dry signal.  or, if non-realtime, perhaps simply render
the convolve to a file and mix both later.  then it is also no problem
to adjust the delay.

On 02/04/18 20:51, jpff wrote:

> Not sure about in ambisonics but my use delays te dry signal not the
> convolved one
>
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2018, Ruben Sverre Gjertsen wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I’m trying convolution with impulse responses, and I’m having the
>> problem that the whole reverb is delayed about 12 seconds from the
>> original sound. The delays in the impulse response files are always
>> less than a second, why do they become so much longer with ‘convolve’?
>> The soundfiles are 96 kHz, 4 channel B-format, analyzed with cvanal
>> (default settings). I’m not sure I have a program to open and
>> visualize cvanal files to see what’s going on.
>>
>> This is how the convolution is applied to a first order b-format
>> coming from global variables:
>> aw   convolve arin1*kamp, ifilcod,1
>> ax    convolve arin2*kamp, ifilcod,2
>> ay   convolve arin3*kamp, ifilcod,3
>> az    convolve arin4*kamp, ifilcod,4
>>
>> A negative delay could have solved the problem non-realtime:
>> aw delay aw,-12
>> ax delay ax,-12
>> ay delay ay,-12
>> az delay az,-12
>>
>> But that was not legal:
>> :: INIT ERROR in instr 99: illegal delay time
>> :: aw    delay    aw    -12    0
>> :
>>
>> Best
>> Ruben