[Csnd] CsoundQr rc2, about stability

1) I made some more small improvements to CsoundQt master branch and uploaded
release candidate 2 for Win and Mac to:

http://tarmo.uuu.ee/varia/failid/cs/CsoundQt/

I tried Windows version in another computer, Mac version not yet, but I
believe it should work.

Please try out first if they work for you, I will write release notes about the
few new features soon.

2) On stability:
CsoundQt crashes mostly because of three reasons:
- some library is not found (left out from installer or wrong link in case of
MacOS) or there is version mismatch (not so typical)
- Csound crashes and brings CsoundQt down with it
- There is bug in CsoundQt

In any of these three cases, please let know!

It is nimportant to distinguish between CsoundQt (frontend) and Csound (the
actual audio engine).
How to make sure if the problem of Csound core library or CsoundQt code  and
choose which issue tracker to use?
- mostly you can find it out if you run the csd in terminal and see if the
error/crash appears there. If yes, it is most certainly Csound problem.
Sometimes it is not so obvious, then please feel free to write to any of the
two mailing lists before

What I miss is most is constructive feedback, especially from Windows users
(of course,  thanks a lot to those who have ever issues reported!). I don't
use Windows daily and so just don't know about many problems.
Still, several times I have found some very basic bugs that nobody has ever
reported! For example just recently I discovered that example csd-s from
manual could not be opened in editor or recording does not work (now fixed) - I
never believe that noone on the planed would not have had these problems.
Please take a bit from your time to write a proper bug report (including
platform, version, Csound version, what you did, what did not work).

Issuing a bug report is easy -  if you have CsoundQt running -  just click
Help->Report a bug. If CsoundQt crashes on startup, go to
https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/issues
or write to CsoundQt mailing list:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/qutecsound/lists/qutecsound-users

Another thing that clearly needs more community support is testing development
or beta builds. For example in the summer we did a lot of work with Michael to
integrate support for html files including Csound (or vice versa). In the
beginning of August I uploaded beta versions and asked in the CsoundQt list to
test those but got almost no feedback at all for weeks. (Summertime, of
course, but still -  it is not encouraging).

In short -  if you ever use CsoundQt, please download (or built from master
branch) these versions from the link above and if they crash -  very good!
Then you can help to find out what to do better.

3) This season I have less time for CsoundQt but I still will try to do my
best for the community. Please support!

best greetings,
tarmo

Re: [Csnd] CsoundQr rc2, about stability

Marc Demers-2
Hi Tarmo.

I've tried your latest beta version on a laptop Windows10-64bits and it works well with the stable version of Csound 6.09.1 but still crashes with 6.09.2beta2 and beta4.

Regards,

Marc

Re: [Csnd] CsoundQr rc2, about stability

Tarmo Johannes-3
Thanks a lot, Marc,

very valuable feedback. Are the  6.09.2beta2 and beta4 builds from AppVeyor? I
built this version against "Official" Csound 6.09.1 but of course, I should
install Csound 6.10 (or how isthe version named) from AppVeyor and do another
build. Hope to get to it tonight or tomorrow.

What about MacOS users? Any tryouts?
http://tarmo.uuu.ee/varia/failid/cs/CsoundQt/CsoundQt-0.9.5-rc2-MacOS.dmg

tarmo

On Monday, October 16, 2017 1:55:35 AM EEST you wrote:

> Hi Tarmo.
>
> I've tried your latest beta version on a laptop Windows10-64bits and it
> works well with the stable version of Csound 6.09.1 but still crashes with
> 6.09.2beta2 and beta4.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc

The beta2 version is from Michael Gogins website and the beta4 is from AppVeyor. Hope it help a little.

Regards,

Marc

very valuable feedback. Are the  6.09.2beta2 and beta4 builds from AppVeyor? I
built this version against "Official" Csound 6.09.1 but of course, I should
install Csound 6.10 (or how isthe version named) from AppVeyor and do another
build. Hope to get to it tonight or tomorrow.

What about MacOS users? Any tryouts?
http://tarmo.uuu.ee/varia/failid/cs/CsoundQt/CsoundQt-0.9.5-rc2-MacOS.dmg

tarmo

On Monday, October 16, 2017 1:55:35 AM EEST you wrote:
> Hi Tarmo.
>
> I've tried your latest beta version on a laptop Windows10-64bits and it
> works well with the stable version of Csound 6.09.1 but still crashes with
> 6.09.2beta2 and beta4.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc

I installed Csound 6.09-beta4, latest available build from AppVeyor and unfortunately for me also the included CsoundQt-html.exe crashes as soon and start any csd.

I don't have any proper debugger on that machine and could not really guess the reason, the only output I got from MSVC Debugging sessioon that was opened by the system:

"Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF9A158B6F9 (ntdll.dll) in CsoundQt-d-cs6.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000000000000010.
If there is a handler for this exception, the program may be safely continued."

Locally built and then rebuilt vesion acted exactly the same way. There must be some conflict somewhere but I undertand Windows worse.'

I can see from "Call stack" that ntdll.dll was called from csound64.dll and that from CsoundQt-d-cs6.exe

I am on Winsows 10, Qt 5.8.0, MSVS 2015.

I undertand little about Windows -  what is ntdll.dll doing and is this most likely the reason of conflict? Can it be bundled to the installer?

Csound from command line works by itself.

Michael, do you have suggestions?

Thanks,