[Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

[Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

fauveboy
Is it possible to launch a csound program and send it score events using
through the terminal to interacting with the orchestra in real time?

Thanks

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

forrest
If you're using Linux (Would this also work for Mac?) you can just run the whole thing from the command line with -L stdin

------
"
-L DEVICE, --score-in=DEVICE

Read line-oriented real-time score events from device DEVICE. The name stdin will permit score events to be typed at your terminal, or piped from another process. Each line-event is terminated by a carriage-return. Events are coded just like those in a standard numeric score, except that an event with p2=0 will be performed immediately, and an event with p2=T will be performed T seconds after arrival. Events can arrive at any time, and in any order. The score carry feature is legal here, as are held notes (p3 negative) and string arguments, but ramps and pp or np references are not.

[Note] Note

The -L flag is only valid on *NIX systems which have pipes. It doesn't work on Windows.

"

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 5:44 AM, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it possible to launch a csound program and send it score events using
through the terminal to interacting with the orchestra in real time?

Thanks

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

yes, use -L stdin and you can type line-oriented score events. If you want to add or redefine instruments, enclose them in { }

> On 13 May 2018, at 13:44, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is it possible to launch a csound program and send it score events using
> through the terminal to interacting with the orchestra in real time?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

fauveboy
Okay thanks:
I'm on a Unix system but I get a command error with:

$csound -L sampler_two.csd

does "DEVICE" not stand for the csd file?

...the brackets would come in after the -L tag?

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

fauveboy
sampler_two.csd
<http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/sampler_two.csd>

okay, I see. Whats the appropriate way to set up my file I've attached above
because the program ends straight away?

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

Justin Smith
there might be a nicer thing with modern csound, but the old trick was to create an f table some time in the far future so that the score would keep running

f0 360000000 ; just needs some very-large number

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 9:28 AM fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
sampler_two.csd
<http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/sampler_two.csd

okay, I see. Whats the appropriate way to set up my file I've attached above
because the program ends straight away?

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

Still done that way, or have no scorestall (move ftables into orc) or use z for infinity in an f or e statement

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

On May 13, 2018, 17:44, at 17:44, Justin Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

>there might be a nicer thing with modern csound, but the old trick was
>create an f table some time in the far future so that the score would
>keep
>running
>
>f0 360000000 ; just needs some very-large number
>
>On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 9:28 AM fauveboy
><[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> sampler_two.csd
>> <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/sampler_two.csd>
>>
>> okay, I see. Whats the appropriate way to set up my file I've
>attached
>> above
>> because the program ends straight away?
>>

>> --
>> Sent from:
>> http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>Csound mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>Send bugs reports to
>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

fauveboy
okay thank that works. I had to make sure that in the orchestra and csound
options theres the -odac tag to get sound.

regarding another score statement I have which is 't 0 75' how do i include
this with the simultaneous entry of an i statement. Or similarly for
multiple i statements? for example, I'm expecting the syntax to be something
along the lines of:
$t 0 75, i1 0 2, i1 0 5
but obviously, this didn't work?

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

jpff
score opline end with newline not coma

On Sun, 13 May 2018, fauveboy wrote:

> okay thank that works. I had to make sure that in the orchestra and csound
> options theres the -odac tag to get sound.
>
> regarding another score statement I have which is 't 0 75' how do i include
> this with the simultaneous entry of an i statement. Or similarly for
> multiple i statements? for example, I'm expecting the syntax to be something
> along the lines of:
> $t 0 75, i1 0 2, i1 0 5
> but obviously, this didn't work?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

The -L stdin works with single scorelines lines, not multiple statements. You can use i and f statements,
nothing else.

> On 13 May 2018, at 17:58, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> okay thank that works. I had to make sure that in the orchestra and csound
> options theres the -odac tag to get sound.
>
> regarding another score statement I have which is 't 0 75' how do i include
> this with the simultaneous entry of an i statement. Or similarly for
> multiple i statements? for example, I'm expecting the syntax to be something
> along the lines of:
> $t 0 75, i1 0 2, i1 0 5
> but obviously, this didn't work?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

jpff
You coukd define an instrument thatakes enough args to fill instr 1 twie
and use schedule in it to add two i1 events to the score.  Makin it high
number will ensure it runs at the end of a k-ccle so the two i1 would
staet at the sae time
Something like

instr 100
   schedule 1, 0, p4, p5, p6
   schedule 1, 0, p7, p8, p9
endin

where instr 1 takes 5 args

Called like
i100 0 0 2 1 2 5 3 4

Not tesyed....

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

fauveboy
jpff many you show me the syntax you mean> Im not sure what opline means and
newline i understand to be \n which doesnt apply here?

something like:

i1 0 2 \n i1 0 5

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

forrest
Um, I'm running on Ubuntu, going through 'testfif' (a fifo) rather than stdin and piping in a file --
which works for putting in score lines, but when I try to add instruments
whether by '{}' , '{{}}', or 'compilestr {{}}' I get responses like:
unknown opcode {
illegal RT scoreline:
{instr 1
^

Do I need to upgrade my csound (6.09), or is there another problem

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 6:45 AM, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes, use -L stdin and you can type line-oriented score events. If you want to add or redefine instruments, enclose them in { }

> On 13 May 2018, at 13:44, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is it possible to launch a csound program and send it score events using
> through the terminal to interacting with the orchestra in real time?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

jpff
I thought that syntax came in with 6.10, but Victor would know more

On Sun, 27 May 2018, Forrest Curo wrote:

> Um, I'm running on Ubuntu, going through 'testfif' (a fifo) rather than stdin
> and piping in a file --
> which works for putting in score lines, but when I try to add instruments
> whether by '{}' , '{{}}', or 'compilestr {{}}' I get responses like:
> unknown opcode {
> illegal RT scoreline:
> {instr 1
> ^
>
> Do I need to upgrade my csound (6.09), or is there another problem
>

> On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 6:45 AM, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>       yes, use -L stdin and you can type line-oriented score events. If
>       you want to add or redefine instruments, enclose them in { }
>
>       Victor Lazzarini
>       Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>       Maynooth University
>       Ireland
>
>       > On 13 May 2018, at 13:44, fauveboy
>       <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       >
>       > Is it possible to launch a csound program and send it score
>       events using
>       > through the terminal to interacting with the orchestra in real
>       time?
>       >
>       > Thanks
>       >
>       >
>       >
>       > --
>       > Sent from:
>       http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html
>       >
>       > Csound mailing list
>       > [hidden email]
>       > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>       > Send bugs reports to
>       >        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>       > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>
>       Csound mailing list
>       [hidden email]
>       https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>       Send bugs reports to
>               https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>       Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

Victor Lazzarini-2
yes, it was introduced in 6.10.

> On 27 May 2018, at 16:56, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I thought that syntax came in with 6.10, but Victor would know more
>

>> On Sun, 27 May 2018, Forrest Curo wrote:
>>
>> Um, I'm running on Ubuntu, going through 'testfif' (a fifo) rather than stdin
>> and piping in a file --
>> which works for putting in score lines, but when I try to add instruments
>> whether by '{}' , '{{}}', or 'compilestr {{}}' I get responses like:
>> unknown opcode {
>> illegal RT scoreline:
>> {instr 1
>> ^
>> Do I need to upgrade my csound (6.09), or is there another problem
>> On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 6:45 AM, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>      yes, use -L stdin and you can type line-oriented score events. If
>>      you want to add or redefine instruments, enclose them in { }
>>
>>      Victor Lazzarini
>>      Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>      Maynooth University
>>      Ireland
>>
>>      > On 13 May 2018, at 13:44, fauveboy
>>      <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>      >
>>      > Is it possible to launch a csound program and send it score
>>      events using
>>      > through the terminal to interacting with the orchestra in real
>>      time?
>>      >
>>      > Thanks
>>      >
>>      >
>>      >
>>      > --
>>      > Sent from:
>>      http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html
>>      >
>>      > Csound mailing list
>>      > [hidden email]
>>      > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>      > Send bugs reports to
>>      >        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>      > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>>
>>      Csound mailing list
>>      [hidden email]
>>      https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>      Send bugs reports to
>>              https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>      Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
>> be posted here

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Csound real time score events via the command line

forrest
Okay, where one terminal is running csound
and another gets the line:
cat testimp > testfif
(testfif is a fifo
and testimp is this file):

{
instr 1
a1 oscili p5, p4, 1
printf_i "works %d \n", 1, 5
outs a1, a1
endin
}
i1 0 1 110 0.5

And of course, if you want to type lines in directly,  ' cat > testfif ' works also. Whee!