[Csnd] Csound and Jack/Alsa

briandc

Hi everyone,

I'd like to use Csound on linux Librazik-2 (64-bit), but I am having the same issue I've had on Ubuntu-Studio previously. Namely, that I am not able to connect to Jack when a2jmidid is running.  The tag I usually used is -rtaudio=jack  but it gives an error of "Alsa device not running or not available."  I think this is due to a2jmidid running, which usually sends any alsa audio signal directly into Jack, if I understand it correctly.

Unfortunately, Csound continues to not connect.  -Or is there a different Csound option I should use?

Any help much appreciated!

brian

Re: [Csnd] Csound and Jack/Alsa

Victor Lazzarini-2
Do you mean -+rtaudio=jack ?

> On 28 Jan 2018, at 16:10, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to use Csound on linux Librazik-2 (64-bit), but I am having the same issue I've had on Ubuntu-Studio previously. Namely, that I am not able to connect to Jack when a2jmidid is running.  The tag I usually used is -rtaudio=jack  but it gives an error of "Alsa device not running or not available."  I think this is due to a2jmidid running, which usually sends any alsa audio signal directly into Jack, if I understand it correctly.
>
> Unfortunately, Csound continues to not connect.  -Or is there a different Csound option I should use?
>

> Any help much appreciated!
>
> brian

Re: [Csnd] Csound and Jack/Alsa

briandc

Yes. Sorry bout that!

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 16:12:28 +0000, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

Do you mean -+rtaudio=jack ?
On 28 Jan 2018, at 16:10, [hidden email] wrote: Hi everyone, I'd like to use Csound on linux Librazik-2 (64-bit), but I am having the same issue I've had on Ubuntu-Studio previously. Namely, that I am not able to connect to Jack when a2jmidid is running. The tag I usually used is -rtaudio=jack but it gives an error of "Alsa device not running or not available." I think this is due to a2jmidid running, which usually sends any alsa audio signal directly into Jack, if I understand it correctly. Unfortunately, Csound continues to not connect. -Or is there a different Csound option I should use? Any help much appreciated! brian Csound mailing list [hidden email] https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Csound and Jack/Alsa --SOLVED

briandc

Well, good news! I had to deselect BOTH of the option boxes in QJackCtl: execute script before starting AND execute script after starting.

It would seem that Csound is not able to play nicely with both a2j and Pulse Audio when using Jack and QJackCtl.

I don't know if it's in the current manual, but linux users who can't get connected to Jack would do well to check to make sure that these options are not selected before starting QJackCtl. (some distros may have QJackCtl set up in such a way that scripts are set to run before/at start-up, and this will cause headaches for some!)

Of course, if Csound could just connect nicely to a2j, that would be the best, imo.  Because many synths for linux require a2j to run, so it's an important script.  At least for me.

Just a thought/suggestion, anyway.  :)

brian

[...]

Adam
Thanks Brian.

After many attempts over many years, in Ubuntu and sometimes Studio,
I've never yet succeeded in getting Jack or QJackCtl to work correctly,
simply or repeatably.

It almost seems that Jack/QJackCtl just doesn't play nicely with
Ubuntu.

Great you've had success.

On Sun, 2018-01-28 at 23:14 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> Well, good news! I had to deselect BOTH of the option boxes in
> QJackCtl: execute script before starting AND execute script after
> starting.
> It would seem that Csound is not able to play nicely with both a2j
> and Pulse Audio when using Jack and QJackCtl.
> I don't know if it's in the current manual, but linux users who can't
> get connected to Jack would do well to check to make sure that these
> options are not selected before starting QJackCtl. (some distros may
> have QJackCtl set up in such a way that scripts are set to run
> before/at start-up, and this will cause headaches for some!)
> Of course, if Csound could just connect nicely to a2j, that would be
> the best, imo.  Because many synths for linux require a2j to run, so
> it's an important script.  At least for me.
> Just a thought/suggestion, anyway.  :)

Re: [Csnd] Csound and Jack/Alsa --SOLVED

genell
I don’t know if it matters but jack and pulse audio doesn’t always like each other and I’ve read that the implementation of pulse in Ubuntu is heavily criticized by the pulse devs, so maybe that is an issue?

I’ve had jack working nicely in Debian at least, but then I have not even had pulse installed...

Regards,
Anders

> 31 jan. 2018 kl. 08:06 skrev adam <[hidden email]>:
>
> Thanks Brian.
>
> After many attempts over many years, in Ubuntu and sometimes Studio,
> I've never yet succeeded in getting Jack or QJackCtl to work correctly,
> simply or repeatably.
>
> It almost seems that Jack/QJackCtl just doesn't play nicely with
> Ubuntu.
>
> Great you've had success.
>

>> On Sun, 2018-01-28 at 23:14 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Well, good news! I had to deselect BOTH of the option boxes in
>> QJackCtl: execute script before starting AND execute script after
>> starting.
>> It would seem that Csound is not able to play nicely with both a2j
>> and Pulse Audio when using Jack and QJackCtl.
>> I don't know if it's in the current manual, but linux users who can't
>> get connected to Jack would do well to check to make sure that these
>> options are not selected before starting QJackCtl. (some distros may
>> have QJackCtl set up in such a way that scripts are set to run
>> before/at start-up, and this will cause headaches for some!)
>> Of course, if Csound could just connect nicely to a2j, that would be
>> the best, imo.  Because many synths for linux require a2j to run, so
>> it's an important script.  At least for me.
>> Just a thought/suggestion, anyway.  :)

Re: [Csnd] Csound and Jack/Alsa --SOLVED

genell
Also, Csound supports jack midi nowadays, so maybe that could be an alternative?

Regards,
Anders

> 31 jan. 2018 kl. 08:06 skrev adam <[hidden email]>:
>
> Thanks Brian.
>
> After many attempts over many years, in Ubuntu and sometimes Studio,
> I've never yet succeeded in getting Jack or QJackCtl to work correctly,
> simply or repeatably.
>
> It almost seems that Jack/QJackCtl just doesn't play nicely with
> Ubuntu.
>
> Great you've had success.
>

>> On Sun, 2018-01-28 at 23:14 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Well, good news! I had to deselect BOTH of the option boxes in
>> QJackCtl: execute script before starting AND execute script after
>> starting.
>> It would seem that Csound is not able to play nicely with both a2j
>> and Pulse Audio when using Jack and QJackCtl.
>> I don't know if it's in the current manual, but linux users who can't
>> get connected to Jack would do well to check to make sure that these
>> options are not selected before starting QJackCtl. (some distros may
>> have QJackCtl set up in such a way that scripts are set to run
>> before/at start-up, and this will cause headaches for some!)
>> Of course, if Csound could just connect nicely to a2j, that would be
>> the best, imo.  Because many synths for linux require a2j to run, so
>> it's an important script.  At least for me.
>> Just a thought/suggestion, anyway.  :)

Re: [Csnd] Csound and Jack/Alsa --SOLVED

Brian Redfern-2
A lot of times the issue isn't Ubuntu but the hardware. I got Jack working well on a Lenovo t420 but I've had laptops in the past where it's impossible to get Jack to give me better than 40ms latency. Some laptops treat their USB ports as a low performance hub. There are some audio devices that while they work in standard mode won't give low latency performance without a specific closed source asio windows driver. Others will perform well with Linux. Checking the USB wiring before you buy a device will help