Quantcast

[Csnd] Csound MIDI Controller Data

12

[Csnd] Csound MIDI Controller Data

Samuel Smalley
Sorry for this total newbie question, but how do I get Csound to read the controller data from my MIDI keyboard? Right now it's reading the note data, so I'm confused as to why it isn't for the control messages.

Thanks,
Sam

Re: [Csnd] Csound MIDI Controller Data

epalaima
Check out the chanctrl opcode for reading midi cc messages: http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/chanctrl.html

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Sam Smalley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry for this total newbie question, but how do I get Csound to read the controller data from my MIDI keyboard? Right now it's reading the note data, so I'm confused as to why it isn't for the control messages.

Thanks,
Sam

Re: [Csnd] Csound MIDI Controller Data

epalaima
Hmm... Strange. You are trying to read the knobs from your keyboard correct?

Are you sure you are reading the correct CC on the correct midi channel? You might want to try checking the output from your controller in Max using midiin and midiparse objects, just so you know what to look for.

Other than that I am not sure, I would say check the midi settings in CsoundQt preferences (or -M flag for command line), but since you are getting notes in I don't think this is the issue.

Can you perhaps share a csd file showing how you are going about reading the midi input?

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Samuel Smalley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Still not getting anything. I tried to print directly to the console but that didn't work either. MIDI monitor shows the controllers are working though.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Emmett Palaima <[hidden email]> wrote:
Check out the chanctrl opcode for reading midi cc messages: http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/chanctrl.html

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Sam Smalley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry for this total newbie question, but how do I get Csound to read the controller data from my MIDI keyboard? Right now it's reading the note data, so I'm confused as to why it isn't for the control messages.

Thanks,
Sam

Re: [Csnd] Csound MIDI Controller Data

Samuel Smalley

instr 1

iamp ampmidi 0.5             ;This works

icps cpsmidi                 ;This works as well

ifreq chanctrl 1, 1          ;This does not

ifreq2 ctrl7 1, 1, 0, 20000  ;This also does not

print ifreq

aOsc1 buzz iamp, icps, 10, 1

aFilt lowpass2 aOsc1, ifreq, 10

 out aFilt, aFilt

endin

The main thing I don't understand is why it isn't displaying controller changes in the console.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Arthur Hunkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use ctrl7 all the time.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Sam Smalley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry for this total newbie question, but how do I get Csound to read the controller data from my MIDI keyboard? Right now it's reading the note data, so I'm confused as to why it isn't for the control messages.

Thanks,
Sam

Re: [Csnd] Csound MIDI Controller Data

zappfinger

Maybe you are not on midi channel 1?
BTW, what platform are you on?

Richard

On 15/03/17 21:23, Samuel Smalley wrote:

[...]

I know next to noting about MIDI but yoour chanctrl opcode only woks at
init time -- is that what you want?

Same for ctrl7.

Peraps yo at a k-va as reslt.....

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017, Samuel Smalley wrote:

> instr 1
>

>       iamp ampmidi 0.5             ;This works
>
>       icps cpsmidi                 ;This works as well
>

>       ifreq chanctrl 1, 1          ;This does not
>
>       ifreq2 ctrl7 1, 1, 0, 20000  ;This also does not
>

>       print ifreq
>
>       aOsc1 buzz iamp, icps, 10, 1
>
>       aFilt lowpass2 aOsc1, ifreq, 10
>

>        out aFilt, aFilt
>
> endin
>

> The main thing I don't understand is why it isn't displaying controller
> changes in the console.
>

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Arthur Hunkins
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       I use ctrl7 all the time.
>
> Art Hunkinshttp://www.arthunkins.com
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Sam Smalley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>       Sorry for this total newbie question, but how do I get
>       Csound to read the controller data from my MIDI keyboard?
>       Right now it's reading the note data, so I'm confused as to
>       why it isn't for the control messages.
>
>       Thanks,
>       Sam

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] Csound MIDI Controller Data

Samuel Smalley
I'm definitely on channel 1. Running on OSX. The thing is that it displays note events in the console without any op codes, but not controller events.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 4:32 PM jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know next to noting about MIDI but yoour chanctrl opcode only woks at
init time -- is that what you want?

Same for ctrl7.

Peraps yo at a k-va as reslt.....

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017, Samuel Smalley wrote:

> instr 1
>

>       iamp ampmidi 0.5             ;This works
>
>       icps cpsmidi                 ;This works as well
>

>       ifreq chanctrl 1, 1          ;This does not
>
>       ifreq2 ctrl7 1, 1, 0, 20000  ;This also does not
>

>       print ifreq
>
>       aOsc1 buzz iamp, icps, 10, 1
>
>       aFilt lowpass2 aOsc1, ifreq, 10
>

>        out aFilt, aFilt
>
> endin
>

> The main thing I don't understand is why it isn't displaying controller
> changes in the console.
>

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Arthur Hunkins
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       I use ctrl7 all the time.
>
> Art Hunkinshttp://www.arthunkins.com
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Sam Smalley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>       Sorry for this total newbie question, but how do I get
>       Csound to read the controller data from my MIDI keyboard?
>       Right now it's reading the note data, so I'm confused as to
>       why it isn't for the control messages.
>
>       Thanks,
>       Sam

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can

Re: [Csnd] Csound MIDI Controller Data

jpff
What happens if you run the canctl.csd example from the manual?

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
; Select audio/midi flags here according to platform
; Audio out   No messages  MIDI in
-odac            -d         -M0  ;;;RT audio I/O with MIDI in
;-iadc    ;;;uncomment -iadc if RT audio input is needed too
; For Non-realtime ouput leave only the line below:
; -o chanctrl.wav -W ;;; for file output any platform
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>

sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

instr 1 ; press your midi keyboard and move your midi controller to see
result

ichnl  = 1 ;MIDI note inputs on channel 1
ictlno = 7 ;use midi volume controller
kch  chanctrl ichnl, 7 ;to control amplitude of oscil
      printk2  kch

asig oscil kch*(1/127), 220, 1
      outs  asig, asig
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
;Dummy f-table to give time for real-time MIDI events
f 0 30
;sine wave.
f 1 0 16384 10 1

</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

> [...]

>       > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
>       reports to
>       > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>       features
>       > can be posted here
>       >
>       >
>       > Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>       > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
>       reports to
>       > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>       features can
>       > be posted here
>       >
>
>       Csound mailing list
>       [hidden email]
>       https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>       Send bugs reports to
>               https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>       Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Oeyvind Brandtsegg-3
Yes, I think, as John suggests, that you probably want to run contrl7 at k-rate

not:
  ifreq chanctrl 1, 1
but:
  kfreq chanctrl 1, 1

> [...]
>>       > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
>>       reports to
>>       > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>>       features
>>       > can be posted here
>>       >
>>       >
>>       > Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>>       > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
>>       reports to
>>       > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>>       features can
>>       > be posted here
>>       >
>>
>>       Csound mailing list
>>       [hidden email]
>>       https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>       Send bugs reports to
>>               https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>       Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Oeyvind Brandtsegg
Professor of Music Technology
NTNU
7491 Trondheim
Norway
Cell: +47 92 203 205

http://www.partikkelaudio.com/
http://crossadaptive.hf.ntnu.no
http://gdsp.hf.ntnu.no/
http://soundcloud.com/brandtsegg
http://flyndresang.no/
http://soundcloud.com/t-emp

Re: [Csnd] Csound MIDI Controller Data

zappfinger
I tried it here on OS X. It does not work. Also John's suggestion did
not work...

Richard

On 15/03/17 21:53, Oeyvind Brandtsegg wrote:

> [...]
>>>        > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
>>>        reports to
>>>        > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>>>        features
>>>        > can be posted here
>>>        >
>>>        >
>>>        > Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>>>        > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
>>>        reports to
>>>        > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>>>        features can
>>>        > be posted here
>>>        >
>>>
>>>        Csound mailing list
>>>        [hidden email]
>>>        https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>>        Send bugs reports to
>>>                https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>        Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

OK next question.  Which midi system is csound using?  I think you ave a
choice of cmidi (coremidi) or pmidi (portmidi), but this is way beyond me,
not having OSX so I defer to Victor et al who understand these things
==Jon ff

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017, Richard wrote:

> I tried it here on OS X. It does not work. Also John's suggestion did not
> work...
>
> Richard
>

> On 15/03/17 21:53, Oeyvind Brandtsegg wrote:
>> Yes, I think, as John suggests, that you probably want to run contrl7 at
>> k-rate
>>
>> not:
>>    ifreq chanctrl 1, 1
>> but:
>>    kfreq chanctrl 1, 1

>>> What happens if you run the canctl.csd example from the manual?
>>>
>>> <CsoundSynthesizer>
>>> <CsOptions>
>>> ; Select audio/midi flags here according to platform
>>> ; Audio out   No messages  MIDI in
>>> -odac            -d         -M0  ;;;RT audio I/O with MIDI in
>>> ;-iadc    ;;;uncomment -iadc if RT audio input is needed too
>>> ; For Non-realtime ouput leave only the line below:
>>> ; -o chanctrl.wav -W ;;; for file output any platform
>>> </CsOptions>
>>> <CsInstruments>
>>>
>>> sr = 44100
>>> ksmps = 32
>>> nchnls = 2
>>> 0dbfs = 1
>>>
>>> instr 1 ; press your midi keyboard and move your midi controller to see
>>> result
>>>
>>> ichnl  = 1              ;MIDI note inputs on channel 1
>>> ictlno = 7              ;use midi volume controller
>>> kch  chanctrl ichnl, 7  ;to control amplitude of oscil
>>>       printk2  kch
>>>
>>> asig oscil kch*(1/127), 220, 1
>>>       outs  asig, asig
>>> endin
>>>
>>> </CsInstruments>
>>> <CsScore>
>>> ;Dummy f-table to give time for real-time MIDI events
>>> f 0 30
>>> ;sine wave.
>>> f 1 0 16384 10 1
>>>
>>> </CsScore>
>>> </CsoundSynthesizer>

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] Csound MIDI Controller Data

epalaima
Oeyvind is correct, the issue is definitely that you are using i-rate variables for chanctrl and ctrl7. Since they are i-rate the value can't update in real time. Use k-rate instead. Pretty surprised that the instrument even ran.

If you fix that it should work.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 5:05 PM, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

       >       ifreq chanctrl 1, 1          ;This does not
       >
       >       ifreq2 ctrl7 1, 1, 0, 20000  ;This also does not
       >
       >
       >       print ifreq
       >
       >       aOsc1 buzz iamp, icps, 10, 1
       >
       >       aFilt lowpass2 aOsc1, ifreq, 10
       >
       >
       >        out aFilt, aFilt
       >
       > endin
       >
       >
       > The main thing I don't understand is why it isn't displaying
       controller
       > changes in the console.
       >
       >
       > On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Arthur Hunkins
       > <[hidden email]> wrote:
       >       I use ctrl7 all the time.
       >
       > Art Hunkinshttp://www.arthunkins.com
       >
       > On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Sam Smalley
       <[hidden email]>
       > wrote:
       >       Sorry for this total newbie question, but how do I get
       >       Csound to read the controller data from my MIDI keyboard?
       >       Right now it's reading the note data, so I'm confused as

I tried k-rate but it does not work...Here's the csd:

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
; Select audio/midi flags here according to platform
-odac     -M0  ;;;RT audio I/O with MIDI in
;-iadc    ;;;uncomment -iadc if RT audio input is needed too
; For Non-realtime ouput leave only the line below:
; -o cpsmidi.wav -W ;;; for file output any platform
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>

sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

instr 1

    iamp ampmidi 0.5             ;This works
    icps cpsmidi                 ;This works as well
    kfreq chanctrl 1, 1          ;This does not
    kfreq2 ctrl7 1, 1, 0, 20000  ;This also does not
    printk2 kfreq
    printk2 kfreq2
    aOsc1 buzz iamp, icps, 10, 1
    aFilt lowpass2 aOsc1, kfreq, 10

     out aFilt, aFilt
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
f0 20
;sine wave.
f 1 0 16384 10 1

</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

Richard

On 15/03/17 22:21, Emmett Palaima wrote:
> [...]

       >       ifreq chanctrl 1, 1          ;This does not
       >
       >       ifreq2 ctrl7 1, 1, 0, 20000  ;This also does not
       >
       >
       >       print ifreq
       >
       >       aOsc1 buzz iamp, icps, 10, 1
       >
       >       aFilt lowpass2 aOsc1, ifreq, 10
       >
       >
       >        out aFilt, aFilt
       >
       > endin
       >
       >
       > The main thing I don't understand is why it isn't displaying
       controller
       > changes in the console.
       >
       >
       > On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Arthur Hunkins
       > <[hidden email]> wrote:
       >       I use ctrl7 all the time.
       >
       > Art Hunkinshttp://www.arthunkins.com
       >
       > On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Sam Smalley
       <[hidden email]>
       > wrote:
       >       Sorry for this total newbie question, but how do I get
       >       Csound to read the controller data from my MIDI keyboard?
       >       Right now it's reading the note data, so I'm confused as

The opcode only runs once per note, try use a kvar output to get changes as you run the instrument.

On 15 Mar 2017, at 20:36, Samuel Smalley <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm definitely on channel 1. Running on OSX. The thing is that it displays note events in the console without any op codes, but not controller events.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 4:32 PM jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know next to noting about MIDI but yoour chanctrl opcode only woks at
init time -- is that what you want?

Same for ctrl7.

Peraps yo at a k-va as reslt.....

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017, Samuel Smalley wrote:

> instr 1
>

>       iamp ampmidi 0.5             ;This works
>
>       icps cpsmidi                 ;This works as well
>

>       ifreq chanctrl 1, 1          ;This does not
>
>       ifreq2 ctrl7 1, 1, 0, 20000  ;This also does not
>

>       print ifreq
>
>       aOsc1 buzz iamp, icps, 10, 1
>
>       aFilt lowpass2 aOsc1, ifreq, 10
>

>        out aFilt, aFilt
>
> endin
>

> The main thing I don't understand is why it isn't displaying controller
> changes in the console.
>

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Arthur Hunkins
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       I use ctrl7 all the time.
>
> Art Hunkinshttp://www.arthunkins.com
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Sam Smalley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>       Sorry for this total newbie question, but how do I get
>       Csound to read the controller data from my MIDI keyboard?
>       Right now it's reading the note data, so I'm confused as to
>       why it isn't for the control messages.
>
>       Thanks,
>       Sam

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can

Re: [Csnd] Csound MIDI Controller Data

Tested this one here and it works as expected:

instr 1
k1 ctrl7 1, 1, 0, 1
printk2 k1
endin

tested with -+rtmidi=virtual, since I don’t have a physical device with me. Channel 1, controller 1.

> [...]
>>        > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
>>        reports to
>>        > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>>        features
>>        > can be posted here
>>        >
>>        >
>>        > Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>>        > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
>>        reports to
>>        > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>>        features can
>>        > be posted here
>>        >
>>
>>        Csound mailing list
>>        [hidden email]
>>        https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>        Send bugs reports to
>>                https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>        Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

tested your instrument and it also runs here, both chanctrl and ctl7 work perfectly.
OSX, using -+rtmidi=virtual.

12