[Csnd] Csound 6.09

JTG III
I'm not sure if this is a Csound issue, or a Csoundqt issue, but since it's the Csoundqt that's included in the release, i figured I should post this here. I noticed that 6.09 was available for download, so I tried to install it on my Mac, but Csoundqt crashes before it even has a chance to open fully. Actually the first time, it opened but was in French, so I changed the preferences and then when I tried to restart the crashes began. I tried reinstalling, but it just went straight into the crash thing again, without the French thing this time.
I'm an almost complete n00b on the Mac front, so I may just be doing something wrong, but I had a copy of the 6.08 installer handy, and it works fine upon reinstall. I'm going to try on my windows machine next and see how that works.

On an unrelated note, and I realize that this is beyond the scope of this list, but I have a brand new pc laptop type deal, and would like to install a Linux distro on it alongside Windows, but I'm at a loss as to what distro to get, as well as any additional packages/libraries/whatever. I was thinking I'd go with Mint, as it's supposed to be good for beginners, and getting the audio specific extras from the kxstudio repositories, as I think I remember someone on this list suggesting, but the kxstudio stuff seems like it hasn't been updated in a while, and I don't know if this is still a good route to take. Since I'm not particularly well versed in things linux, should I just go with one of the audio/media-centric distributions, like ubuntu studio or kxstudio?  Any help would be so appreciated.

Thanks,

Jordan

Jordan

Re: [Csnd] Csound 6.09

Anton Kholomiov
On Linux question:

My route on it:Use whatever debian/ubuntu distro with low impact desktop, like xfce or openbox.
Add kxstudio repos and download settings and packages.

My experience:

* using prepackaged settings for audio is important
* using low-latency kernel is must have
* using low impact desktop is must have (unfortunately gtk 2 is not so low on resources)
* tuning linux for audio is not intuitive. It's hard for non tech oriented persons and for
    tech oriented    too.
      I've tried to tune ubuntu from scratch and didn't get as good as kxstudio

Pros and cons of kxstudio for me

pros: it does system settings right for me. Cadence is very good thing
   (except that claudia module is not working for 16.xx, which is sad)

cons: I use only csound, jack, cadence, audacity but it installs whole ton of linux audio-video packages
  which I never gonna look at. Maybe next time it would be better to import
  kxstudio ppa and install  only settings and the  packages I need

[...]

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for the report!
It is definitely a CsoundQt issue, there was a bug starting without
cofiguration file on OSX but I thought it got ironed out.

CsoundQt 0.9.4 from installer package works here, OSX 10.12.4

I give some ideas and tips but please write to CsoundQt mailing list if the
problem stays (or write here if you get it solved :)

Most likely something happened with your configuration file. Since I made
changes how the configuration is stored/restored maybe I introduced some sly
hidden bugs that appear in some specific conditions.

- please reinstall Csound 6.09 but keep CsoundQt 0.9.3 from previous
installation somewhwere (you should be able ti drag the app from Applications
to some other folder, why not Desktop) -  it should work also with Csound 6.09
for backup

- delete or rename the fonfiguration file. It is called
com.csound.qutecsound.plist and it is located in <your home folder>/Library/
Preferences

I don't know also much about Mac, how to get there from Finder file manager,
you might need to use  terminal app and enter these commands:

rm $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.csound.qutecsound.plist
(this deletes the file)

and start CsoundQt again. If you still get the crash, please start it in
terminal:

Ctrl-click on CsoundQt app, Show Pacakgage contents, navigate to Contents/
MacOs  and doubleclik on CsoundQt-d-py-cs6 program. It will be opened in
terminal. Please copy the output and maybe you can already see if tells about
the reason (maybe some missing library?)

I am grateful if more people could try it out on Mac -  as I have asked
several times during development  :)

Greetings,
tarmo

On pühapäev, 4. juuni 2017 0:44.42 EEST you wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is a Csound issue, or a Csoundqt issue, but since it's
> the Csoundqt that's included in the release, i figured I should post this
> here. I noticed that 6.09 was available for download, so I tried to install
> it on my Mac, but Csoundqt crashes before it even has a chance to open
> fully. Actually the first time, it opened but was in French, so I changed
> the preferences and then when I tried to restart the crashes began. I tried
> reinstalling, but it just went straight into the crash thing again, without
> the French thing this time.
> I'm an almost complete n00b on the Mac front, so I may just be doing
> something wrong, but I had a copy of the 6.08 installer handy, and it works
> fine upon reinstall. I'm going to try on my windows machine next and see
> how that works.
>
> On an unrelated note, and I realize that this is beyond the scope of this
> list, but I have a brand new pc laptop type deal, and would like to install
> a Linux distro on it alongside Windows, but I'm at a loss as to what distro
> to get, as well as any additional packages/libraries/whatever. I was
> thinking I'd go with Mint, as it's supposed to be good for beginners, and
> getting the audio specific extras from the kxstudio repositories, as I
> think I remember someone on this list suggesting, but the kxstudio stuff
> seems like it hasn't been updated in a while, and I don't know if this is
> still a good route to take. Since I'm not particularly well versed in
> things linux, should I just go with one of the audio/media-centric
> distributions, like ubuntu studio or kxstudio?  Any help would be so
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Jordan

Re: [Csnd] Csound 6.09

JTG III
Hi Tarmo,

Thanks for the speedy response!  Your fix did the trick, but now I have another problem, on Windows this time. . .

So Csoundqt starts fine and everything, but any time I try to run any csd whatsoever, it crashes. I'm on Windows 10. I reinstalled 6.08 and all is fine.

It's not an urgent matter for me, anyway, as I have the mac thing, and, whenever I get the guts to take the plunge and install it, linux to keep me busy.

Jordan

On Jun 4, 2017 4:46 AM, "Tarmo Johannes" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> how that works.
>
> On an unrelated note, and I realize that this is beyond the scope of this
> list, but I have a brand new pc laptop type deal, and would like to install
> a Linux distro on it alongside Windows, but I'm at a loss as to what distro
> to get, as well as any additional packages/libraries/whatever. I was
> thinking I'd go with Mint, as it's supposed to be good for beginners, and
> getting the audio specific extras from the kxstudio repositories, as I
> think I remember someone on this list suggesting, but the kxstudio stuff
> seems like it hasn't been updated in a while, and I don't know if this is
> still a good route to take. Since I'm not particularly well versed in
> things linux, should I just go with one of the audio/media-centric
> distributions, like ubuntu studio or kxstudio?  Any help would be so

Re: [Csnd] Csound 6.09

Marc Demers-2

Hi Tarmo,

CsoundQt still crash on Windows 10 with Csound 6.09.0. I have also reinstalled 6.08 with the onboard CsoundQt.

Regards,

Marc

> [...]

> how that works.
>
> On an unrelated note, and I realize that this is beyond the scope of this
> list, but I have a brand new pc laptop type deal, and would like to install
> a Linux distro on it alongside Windows, but I'm at a loss as to what distro
> to get, as well as any additional packages/libraries/whatever. I was
> thinking I'd go with Mint, as it's supposed to be good for beginners, and
> getting the audio specific extras from the kxstudio repositories, as I
> think I remember someone on this list suggesting, but the kxstudio stuff
> seems like it hasn't been updated in a while, and I don't know if this is
> still a good route to take. Since I'm not particularly well versed in
> things linux, should I just go with one of the audio/media-centric
> distributions, like ubuntu studio or kxstudio?  Any help would be so

Re: [Csnd] Csound 6.09

I am glad you got it working on Mac.

On Windows try the following:

- rename existing Csoundx64 folder in Program files something else (since there might be something in the folder that conflicts in the new version)

- reinstall Csound 6.09 and try to run CsoundQt. I am not sure if Michael has fixed some missing .dll files. If not, CsoudnQt will not start but at least you have clean Csound Installation.

- Download CsoundQt 0.9.4 from its release page

https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/releases/download/0.9.4/CsoundQt-0.9.4-win-mingw64.zip

Unzip it somewhere, but DO NOT copy into Csoundx64/bin ( do not replace, they have different depencies and cannot be mixed). Try to run CsoundQt from there and see if that works.

This is a version meant for try-outs, I hope it works but cannot be sure - usually Michael handles the Windows builds and I don't know if everything is right here. But it seems to work for me :)

Greetings,

tarmo

Envoyé : dimanche

> 4 juin 2017 10:00

> À : [hidden email]

> Objet : Re: [Csnd] Csound 6.09

> Hi Tarmo,

> Thanks for the speedy response! Your fix did the trick, but now I have

> another problem, on Windows this time. . .

> So Csoundqt starts fine and everything, but any time I try to run any csd

> whatsoever, it crashes. I'm on Windows 10. I reinstalled 6.08 and all is

> fine.

> It's not an urgent matter for me, anyway, as I have the mac thing, and,

> whenever I get the guts to take the plunge and install it, linux to keep me

> busy.

> Jordan

> On Jun 4, 2017 4:46 AM, "Tarmo Johannes"

> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi Jordan,

> [...]

> > packages/libraries/whatever. I was thinking I'd go with Mint, as it's

> > supposed to be good for beginners, and getting the audio specific extras

> > from the kxstudio repositories, as I think I remember someone on this

> > list suggesting, but the kxstudio stuff seems like it hasn't been updated

> > in a while, and I don't know if this is still a good route to take. Since

> > I'm not particularly well versed in things linux, should I just go with

> > one of the audio/media-centric distributions, like ubuntu studio or

> > kxstudio? Any help would be so appreciated.

> > Thanks,

> > Jordan

> > Csound mailing list

> > [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND

> > Send bugs reports to

> > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

I have installed 6.09.0 but CsoundQt 0.9.4 still crash (an error message told that the csnd6.dll is not found). But works perfectly with 6.08.1.

Regards,

Marc

Envoyé : dimanche

> 4 juin 2017 10:00

> À : [hidden email]

> Objet : Re: [Csnd] Csound 6.09

> Hi Tarmo,

> Thanks for the speedy response! Your fix did the trick, but now I have

> another problem, on Windows this time. . .

> So Csoundqt starts fine and everything, but any time I try to run any csd

> whatsoever, it crashes. I'm on Windows 10. I reinstalled 6.08 and all is

> fine.

> It's not an urgent matter for me, anyway, as I have the mac thing, and,

> whenever I get the guts to take the plunge and install it, linux to keep me

> busy.

> Jordan

> On Jun 4, 2017 4:46 AM, "Tarmo Johannes"

> <[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi Jordan,

> [...]

> > packages/libraries/whatever. I was thinking I'd go with Mint, as it's

> > supposed to be good for beginners, and getting the audio specific extras

> > from the kxstudio repositories, as I think I remember someone on this

> > list suggesting, but the kxstudio stuff seems like it hasn't been updated

> > in a while, and I don't know if this is still a good route to take. Since

> > I'm not particularly well versed in things linux, should I just go with

> > one of the audio/media-centric distributions, like ubuntu studio or

> > kxstudio? Any help would be so appreciated.

> > Thanks,

> > Jordan

> > Csound mailing list

> > [hidden email]>

> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND

> > Send bugs reports to

> > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Hey,
Sorry for the delay, I haven't been home much, and when I have been I've been busy going down the Linux rabbit hole. Still haven't managed to build Csoundqt in there yet, but I think I'm getting the hang of things a bit better over there now. Hopefully tonight, if I have the time. Csound itself was easy!

So, anyway, I'm sorry to report that I'm still getting crashes when trying to run any csd at all, despite the fresh Csound install and separate install of CsoundQT from the github downloads page.

Let me know if I should try anything else and I'll get on it, and report back, in a more timely fashion.

Envoyé : dimanche

> 4 juin 2017 10:00

> À : [hidden email]

> Objet : Re: [Csnd] Csound 6.09

> Hi Tarmo,

> Thanks for the speedy response! Your fix did the trick, but now I have

> another problem, on Windows this time. . .

> So Csoundqt starts fine and everything, but any time I try to run any csd

> whatsoever, it crashes. I'm on Windows 10. I reinstalled 6.08 and all is

> fine.

> It's not an urgent matter for me, anyway, as I have the mac thing, and,

> whenever I get the guts to take the plunge and install it, linux to keep me

> busy.

> Jordan

> On Jun 4, 2017 4:46 AM, "Tarmo Johannes"

> <[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi Jordan,

> [...]

> > packages/libraries/whatever. I was thinking I'd go with Mint, as it's

> > supposed to be good for beginners, and getting the audio specific extras

> > from the kxstudio repositories, as I think I remember someone on this

> > list suggesting, but the kxstudio stuff seems like it hasn't been updated

> > in a while, and I don't know if this is still a good route to take. Since

> > I'm not particularly well versed in things linux, should I just go with

> > one of the audio/media-centric distributions, like ubuntu studio or

> > kxstudio? Any help would be so appreciated.

> > Thanks,

> > Jordan

> > Csound mailing list

> > [hidden email]>

> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND

> > Send bugs reports to

> > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

It might easily be that my build conflicts with some library in the Csound
6.09 folder or in your system, it was meant rather as tryout than a working
horse.

I guess the best bet is to wait when Michael will have corrected some missing
dll-s to the Windows installer ( if has not already?) and try that.

Does Csound 6.09 work otherwise fine if you run it from command line
(cmd.exe)?

greetings,
tarmo

On neljapäev, 8. juuni 2017 12:48.29 EEST you wrote:

> Hey,
> Sorry for the delay, I haven't been home much, and when I have been I've
> been busy going down the Linux rabbit hole. Still haven't managed to build
> Csoundqt in there yet, but I think I'm getting the hang of things a bit
> better over there now. Hopefully tonight, if I have the time. Csound itself
> was easy!
>
> So, anyway, I'm sorry to report that I'm still getting crashes when trying
> to run any csd at all, despite the fresh Csound install and separate
> install of CsoundQT from the github downloads page.
>
> Let me know if I should try anything else and I'll get on it, and report
> back, in a more timely fashion.
>
> On Jun 5, 2017 8:44 PM, "Marc Demers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Tarmo,
> >

> > I have installed 6.09.0 but CsoundQt 0.9.4 still crash (an error message
> > told that the csnd6.dll is not found). But works perfectly with 6.08.1.
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> > Marc

Re: [Csnd] Csound 6.09

Michael Gogins-2
A corrected build is available at
https://github.com/csound/csound/releases/download/untagged-2c84c015eb934b874144/Setup_Csound6_x64_6.09.1.exe.
There will be a final release this weekend or soon after.

Of course, let me know if there is still a problem.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It might easily be that my build conflicts with some library in the Csound
> 6.09 folder or in your system, it was meant rather as tryout than a working
> horse.
>
> I guess the best bet is to wait when Michael will have corrected some missing
> dll-s to the Windows installer ( if has not already?) and try that.
>
> Does Csound 6.09 work otherwise fine if you run it from command line
> (cmd.exe)?
>
> greetings,
> tarmo
>
> On neljapäev, 8. juuni 2017 12:48.29 EEST you wrote:
>> Hey,
>> Sorry for the delay, I haven't been home much, and when I have been I've
>> been busy going down the Linux rabbit hole. Still haven't managed to build
>> Csoundqt in there yet, but I think I'm getting the hang of things a bit
>> better over there now. Hopefully tonight, if I have the time. Csound itself
>> was easy!
>>
>> So, anyway, I'm sorry to report that I'm still getting crashes when trying
>> to run any csd at all, despite the fresh Csound install and separate
>> install of CsoundQT from the github downloads page.
>>
>> Let me know if I should try anything else and I'll get on it, and report
>> back, in a more timely fashion.
>>
>> On Jun 5, 2017 8:44 PM, "Marc Demers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Tarmo,
>> >

>> > I have installed 6.09.0 but CsoundQt 0.9.4 still crash (an error message
>> > told that the csnd6.dll is not found). But works perfectly with 6.08.1.
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> >

>> > Marc

Re: [Csnd] Csound 6.09

JTG III
Tarmo - Yes, 6.09 seems to work fine from the command line.

Michael - Thanks, I'll give that a shot, but at the moment, I'm getting a 404 thing when I try that link. I seem to get that from github a lot?

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 4:45 PM, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:
A corrected build is available at
https://github.com/csound/csound/releases/download/untagged-2c84c015eb934b874144/Setup_Csound6_x64_6.09.1.exe.
There will be a final release this weekend or soon after.

Of course, let me know if there is still a problem.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It might easily be that my build conflicts with some library in the Csound
> 6.09 folder or in your system, it was meant rather as tryout than a working
> horse.
>
> I guess the best bet is to wait when Michael will have corrected some missing
> dll-s to the Windows installer ( if has not already?) and try that.
>
> Does Csound 6.09 work otherwise fine if you run it from command line
> (cmd.exe)?
>
> greetings,
> tarmo
>
> On neljapäev, 8. juuni 2017 12:48.29 EEST you wrote:
>> Hey,
>> Sorry for the delay, I haven't been home much, and when I have been I've
>> been busy going down the Linux rabbit hole. Still haven't managed to build
>> Csoundqt in there yet, but I think I'm getting the hang of things a bit
>> better over there now. Hopefully tonight, if I have the time. Csound itself
>> was easy!
>>
>> So, anyway, I'm sorry to report that I'm still getting crashes when trying
>> to run any csd at all, despite the fresh Csound install and separate
>> install of CsoundQT from the github downloads page.
>>
>> Let me know if I should try anything else and I'll get on it, and report
>> back, in a more timely fashion.
>>
>> On Jun 5, 2017 8:44 PM, "Marc Demers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Tarmo,
>> >

>> > I have installed 6.09.0 but CsoundQt 0.9.4 still crash (an error message
>> > told that the csnd6.dll is not found). But works perfectly with 6.08.1.
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> >

>> > Marc

That hot fix is not published yet, then.

On Jun 8, 2017 20:49, "JTG III" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tarmo - Yes, 6.09 seems to work fine from the command line.

Michael - Thanks, I'll give that a shot, but at the moment, I'm getting a 404 thing when I try that link. I seem to get that from github a lot?

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 4:45 PM, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:
A corrected build is available at
https://github.com/csound/csound/releases/download/untagged-2c84c015eb934b874144/Setup_Csound6_x64_6.09.1.exe.
There will be a final release this weekend or soon after.

Of course, let me know if there is still a problem.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Tarmo Johannes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It might easily be that my build conflicts with some library in the Csound
> 6.09 folder or in your system, it was meant rather as tryout than a working
> horse.
>
> I guess the best bet is to wait when Michael will have corrected some missing
> dll-s to the Windows installer ( if has not already?) and try that.
>
> Does Csound 6.09 work otherwise fine if you run it from command line
> (cmd.exe)?
>
> greetings,
> tarmo
>
> On neljapäev, 8. juuni 2017 12:48.29 EEST you wrote:
>> Hey,
>> Sorry for the delay, I haven't been home much, and when I have been I've
>> been busy going down the Linux rabbit hole. Still haven't managed to build
>> Csoundqt in there yet, but I think I'm getting the hang of things a bit
>> better over there now. Hopefully tonight, if I have the time. Csound itself
>> was easy!
>>
>> So, anyway, I'm sorry to report that I'm still getting crashes when trying
>> to run any csd at all, despite the fresh Csound install and separate
>> install of CsoundQT from the github downloads page.
>>
>> Let me know if I should try anything else and I'll get on it, and report
>> back, in a more timely fashion.
>>
>> On Jun 5, 2017 8:44 PM, "Marc Demers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Tarmo,
>> >

>> > I have installed 6.09.0 but CsoundQt 0.9.4 still crash (an error message
>> > told that the csnd6.dll is not found). But works perfectly with 6.08.1.
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> >

>> > Marc

Tarmo Johannes-3
Mike,
is it easy for you to upload it somewhere? I think it is really important that people try it out before final release?
(myself being away from computer for coming two days...)

Thanks,
tarmo