[Csnd] Composing in Lisp

Michael Gogins-2
Csounders who use Common Music, Common Lisp, OpenMusic, or who do
algorithmic composition may be interested in this post from my blog:

https://michaelgogins.tumblr.com/post/178126207468/composing-in-lisp

Re: [Csnd] Composing in Lisp

Oeyvind Brandtsegg-2
This looks very neat. Thanks for sharing. Haven't dug into lisp since WACM with David Cope in 2004, but now it looks easy to integrate into a Csound workflow.

Den søn. 16. sep. 2018, 2.57 a.m. skrev Michael Gogins <[hidden email]>:
Csounders who use Common Music, Common Lisp, OpenMusic, or who do
algorithmic composition may be interested in this post from my blog:

https://michaelgogins.tumblr.com/post/178126207468/composing-in-lisp

Re: [Csnd] Composing in Lisp

Dave Phillips
Greetings !

On 09/16/2018 10:04 AM, Oeyvind Brandtsegg wrote:
This looks very neat. Thanks for sharing. Haven't dug into lisp since WACM with David Cope in 2004, but now it looks easy to integrate into a Csound workflow.

Den søn. 16. sep. 2018, 2.57 a.m. skrev Michael Gogins <[hidden email]>:
Csounders who use Common Music, Common Lisp, OpenMusic, or who do
algorithmic composition may be interested in this post from my blog:

https://michaelgogins.tumblr.com/post/178126207468/composing-in-lisp

Thanks to Michael for a good brief read. Most folk here probably know that Common Music (now GRACE, I think) and OpenMusic already have some excellent support for Csound. At one point I did a lot of work with Lisp directly, primarily in CM and SND. The language was my introduction to OOP, thanks to enormous assistance from Rick Taube and Bill Schottstaedt, and I still recommend Rick's book to anyone wanting a musician's introduction to Lisp.

I've been playing around with VCV Rack for a year now. Among its many strange and unusual modules there is one that interprets Chicken Scheme code or runs a compiled-from-Scheme object (for faster and better performance in Rack). I haven't worked with it much, but I was thinking about trying to run some CM code in it.

Best regards,

dp

Re: [Csnd] Composing in Lisp

Just to be clear, I am working with the Common Lisp version of Common
Music, version 2, not with Scheme.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> On 09/16/2018 10:04 AM, Oeyvind Brandtsegg wrote:
>
> This looks very neat. Thanks for sharing. Haven't dug into lisp since WACM with David Cope in 2004, but now it looks easy to integrate into a Csound workflow.
>
> Den søn. 16. sep. 2018, 2.57 a.m. skrev Michael Gogins <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Csounders who use Common Music, Common Lisp, OpenMusic, or who do
>> algorithmic composition may be interested in this post from my blog:
>>
>> https://michaelgogins.tumblr.com/post/178126207468/composing-in-lisp
>

> Thanks to Michael for a good brief read. Most folk here probably know that Common Music (now GRACE, I think) and OpenMusic already have some excellent support for Csound. At one point I did a lot of work with Lisp directly, primarily in CM and SND. The language was my introduction to OOP, thanks to enormous assistance from Rick Taube and Bill Schottstaedt, and I still recommend Rick's book to anyone wanting a musician's introduction to Lisp.
>
> I've been playing around with VCV Rack for a year now. Among its many strange and unusual modules there is one that interprets Chicken Scheme code or runs a compiled-from-Scheme object (for faster and better performance in Rack). I haven't worked with it much, but I was thinking about trying to run some CM code in it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> dp

Re: [Csnd] Composing in Lisp

hlolli
Very nice, I should port this to Clojure/script. And one could use common music in the browser with a modern lisp :)

I'm composing these days in Clojurescript and Csound, I think lisp in general is a technology that is very helpful for any artistic endeavour, because it offers high level thinking. Every musician should be using lisp !

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 18:40, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks!

Just to be clear, I am working with the Common Lisp version of Common
Music, version 2, not with Scheme.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> On 09/16/2018 10:04 AM, Oeyvind Brandtsegg wrote:
>
> This looks very neat. Thanks for sharing. Haven't dug into lisp since WACM with David Cope in 2004, but now it looks easy to integrate into a Csound workflow.
>
> Den søn. 16. sep. 2018, 2.57 a.m. skrev Michael Gogins <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Csounders who use Common Music, Common Lisp, OpenMusic, or who do
>> algorithmic composition may be interested in this post from my blog:
>>
>> https://michaelgogins.tumblr.com/post/178126207468/composing-in-lisp
>

> Thanks to Michael for a good brief read. Most folk here probably know that Common Music (now GRACE, I think) and OpenMusic already have some excellent support for Csound. At one point I did a lot of work with Lisp directly, primarily in CM and SND. The language was my introduction to OOP, thanks to enormous assistance from Rick Taube and Bill Schottstaedt, and I still recommend Rick's book to anyone wanting a musician's introduction to Lisp.
>
> I've been playing around with VCV Rack for a year now. Among its many strange and unusual modules there is one that interprets Chicken Scheme code or runs a compiled-from-Scheme object (for faster and better performance in Rack). I haven't worked with it much, but I was thinking about trying to run some CM code in it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> dp

Re: [Csnd] Composing in Lisp

csounder
Thanks Michael and Dave. I've worked with Common Music (now GRACE) for a couple decades now, including interfacing it with csound. Nice post. And, Dave—I wasn't aware Rack had that feature! I'll definitely have some fun with that.

~L.

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 5:25 PM Hlöðver Sigurðsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Very nice, I should port this to Clojure/script. And one could use common music in the browser with a modern lisp :)

I'm composing these days in Clojurescript and Csound, I think lisp in general is a technology that is very helpful for any artistic endeavour, because it offers high level thinking. Every musician should be using lisp !

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 18:40, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks!

Just to be clear, I am working with the Common Lisp version of Common
Music, version 2, not with Scheme.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> On 09/16/2018 10:04 AM, Oeyvind Brandtsegg wrote:
>
> This looks very neat. Thanks for sharing. Haven't dug into lisp since WACM with David Cope in 2004, but now it looks easy to integrate into a Csound workflow.
>
> Den søn. 16. sep. 2018, 2.57 a.m. skrev Michael Gogins <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Csounders who use Common Music, Common Lisp, OpenMusic, or who do
>> algorithmic composition may be interested in this post from my blog:
>>
>> https://michaelgogins.tumblr.com/post/178126207468/composing-in-lisp
>

> Thanks to Michael for a good brief read. Most folk here probably know that Common Music (now GRACE, I think) and OpenMusic already have some excellent support for Csound. At one point I did a lot of work with Lisp directly, primarily in CM and SND. The language was my introduction to OOP, thanks to enormous assistance from Rick Taube and Bill Schottstaedt, and I still recommend Rick's book to anyone wanting a musician's introduction to Lisp.
>
> I've been playing around with VCV Rack for a year now. Among its many strange and unusual modules there is one that interprets Chicken Scheme code or runs a compiled-from-Scheme object (for faster and better performance in Rack). I haven't worked with it much, but I was thinking about trying to run some CM code in it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> dp

Re: [Csnd] Composing in Lisp

Dave Phillips
Hi Linda,

On 09/17/2018 11:20 AM, Linda Antas wrote:
Thanks Michael and Dave. I've worked with Common Music (now GRACE) for a couple decades now, including interfacing it with csound. Nice post. And, Dave—I wasn't aware Rack had that feature! I'll definitely have some fun with that.

I think you'll have to build it from source (I did), but if you get it going I'd love to know how far you get and what you do with it.

    https://github.com/mharju/VCV-Evaluator

Be sure to read the Closed Issues, there's a dialog between the author and myself regarding compilation and usage details.

~L.

Best regards,

dp

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 5:25 PM Hlöðver Sigurðsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Very nice, I should port this to Clojure/script. And one could use common music in the browser with a modern lisp :)

I'm composing these days in Clojurescript and Csound, I think lisp in general is a technology that is very helpful for any artistic endeavour, because it offers high level thinking. Every musician should be using lisp !

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 18:40, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks!

Just to be clear, I am working with the Common Lisp version of Common
Music, version 2, not with Scheme.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> On 09/16/2018 10:04 AM, Oeyvind Brandtsegg wrote:
>
> This looks very neat. Thanks for sharing. Haven't dug into lisp since WACM with David Cope in 2004, but now it looks easy to integrate into a Csound workflow.
>
> Den søn. 16. sep. 2018, 2.57 a.m. skrev Michael Gogins <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Csounders who use Common Music, Common Lisp, OpenMusic, or who do
>> algorithmic composition may be interested in this post from my blog:
>>
>> https://michaelgogins.tumblr.com/post/178126207468/composing-in-lisp
>

> Thanks to Michael for a good brief read. Most folk here probably know that Common Music (now GRACE, I think) and OpenMusic already have some excellent support for Csound. At one point I did a lot of work with Lisp directly, primarily in CM and SND. The language was my introduction to OOP, thanks to enormous assistance from Rick Taube and Bill Schottstaedt, and I still recommend Rick's book to anyone wanting a musician's introduction to Lisp.
>
> I've been playing around with VCV Rack for a year now. Among its many strange and unusual modules there is one that interprets Chicken Scheme code or runs a compiled-from-Scheme object (for faster and better performance in Rack). I haven't worked with it much, but I was thinking about trying to run some CM code in it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> dp

Re: [Csnd] Composing in Lisp

halo

On 09/16/2018 07:25 PM, Hlöðver Sigurðsson wrote:
> Every musician should be using lisp !

good idea.

every coder should be reading poetry!