Quantcast

[Csnd] Buffer Length Limits

Samuel Smalley
I'm trying to use loscil to read a stereo audio file that is 12 minutes long. However, it's not making any sound. The instrument that I made works fine with all of the other audio files that I've tested that are ~10 seconds long, so my question is if I can't use loscil for audio files that are longer than a certain time, and if so is there is an opcode that works better?

As a side note, I'm getting:
WARNING: Buffer overrun in real-time audio input
WARNING: Buffer underrun in real-time audio output

Thanks,
Sam

Re: [Csnd] Buffer Length Limits

Steven Yi
There are numerous factors that could lead to buffer underruns that
may not have to do with loscil or diskin. Could you post your code for
review?  And what platform/CPU are you running on?

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 11:31 PM, Samuel Smalley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I guess diskin works with no issues, except I'm still getting buffer
> overrun/underrun
>

> On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 11:26 PM Sam Smalley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to use loscil to read a stereo audio file that is 12 minutes
>> long. However, it's not making any sound. The instrument that I made works
>> fine with all of the other audio files that I've tested that are ~10 seconds
>> long, so my question is if I can't use loscil for audio files that are
>> longer than a certain time, and if so is there is an opcode that works
>> better?
>>
>> As a side note, I'm getting:
>> WARNING: Buffer overrun in real-time audio input
>> WARNING: Buffer underrun in real-time audio output
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sam

Re: [Csnd] Buffer Length Limits

Samuel Smalley

<CsoundSynthesizer>

<CsOptions>

</CsOptions>

<CsInstruments>

sr = 44100

ksmps = 128

nchnls = 2

0dbfs = 1.0

instr 5

icps = (p4)

ifn = (p5)

kMod1 lfo 0.05, 0.25

aMod2 lfo 0.5, icps * 0.5

aModPan = sqrt(aMod2 + 0.5)

kPitchMod = kMod1 + icps

aOsc1, aOsc2 loscil 0.1, kPitchMod, ifn, 1, 1

aMix = aOsc1 + aOsc2

outs aMix * aModPan, aMix * (1 - aModPan)

aOsc1, aOsc2 loscil 0.2, 1, 4, 1, 1

outs aOsc1, aOsc2

aOsc1, aOsc2 diskin "subway.wav", 1

outs aOsc1, aOsc2

endin

</CsInstruments>

<CsScore>

f1 0 0 1 "Jeff_Prompt.wav" 0 0 0

f2 0 0 1 "Gabe_Prompt.wav" 0 0 0

f3 0 0 1 "Fish_Prompt.wav" 0 0 0

f4 0 0 1 "subway.wav" 0 0 0

;x

;instr strt dur freq f#

;i 6 0 60

i 7 0 60

</CsScore>

</CsoundSynthesizer>

I'm on a Macbook Pro, OSX Yosemite, 2.8ghz i7 CPU

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 11:38 PM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are numerous factors that could lead to buffer underruns that
may not have to do with loscil or diskin. Could you post your code for
review?  And what platform/CPU are you running on?

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 11:31 PM, Samuel Smalley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So I guess diskin works with no issues, except I'm still getting buffer
> overrun/underrun
>

> On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 11:26 PM Sam Smalley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to use loscil to read a stereo audio file that is 12 minutes
>> long. However, it's not making any sound. The instrument that I made works
>> fine with all of the other audio files that I've tested that are ~10 seconds
>> long, so my question is if I can't use loscil for audio files that are
>> longer than a certain time, and if so is there is an opcode that works
>> better?
>>
>> As a side note, I'm getting:
>> WARNING: Buffer overrun in real-time audio input
>> WARNING: Buffer underrun in real-time audio output
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sam

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can

Re: [Csnd] Buffer Length Limits

zappfinger

You probably have to play with the hardware and software buffer sizes that Csound uses, as described here:

http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/UsingOptimizing.html

Richard

On 06/03/17 05:31, Samuel Smalley wrote:
So I guess diskin works with no issues, except I'm still getting buffer overrun/underrun

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 11:26 PM Sam Smalley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to use loscil to read a stereo audio file that is 12 minutes long. However, it's not making any sound. The instrument that I made works fine with all of the other audio files that I've tested that are ~10 seconds long, so my question is if I can't use loscil for audio files that are longer than a certain time, and if so is there is an opcode that works better?

As a side note, I'm getting:
WARNING: Buffer overrun in real-time audio input
WARNING: Buffer underrun in real-time audio output

Thanks,
Sam

Re: [Csnd] Buffer Length Limits

I think loscil has a limitation of file sizes to about 4mins (I seem to recall). Try flooper2 instead.