[Csnd] [ANN] - live.csound.com now a PWA (Progressive Web Application)

[Csnd] [ANN] - live.csound.com now a PWA (Progressive Web Application)

Steven Yi
Hi All,

I wanted to share that some experiments I did yesterday to make the
web application part of csound-live-code[1], hosted at
https://live.csound.com, into a Progressive Web Application (PWA [2]).
This allows the site to be added to a computer or Android phone using
"Add to Desktop" or "Add to Home Screen" from the browser and then
function more like a regular application and work offline.  I have
tested this with Desktop Chrome, Chrome on Android, and on Chrome OS.
These installed the web site as an application on Windows 10, Android
Phone, and Chromebook.

The web app side still has some issues with icons and things and
there's certainly more to tweak/fix.  However, I'm pretty encouraged
by the results so far. I also found that the site used to work in Edge
browser (or, at least I thought it did!) and will investigate that
again.  If I can get it working again, I will look into packaging and
submitting to the Microsoft App Store[3] as an AppX.

While live.csound.com is a "Csound Exposed" kind of application, I
think this kind of work can be really interesting for us to share our
work with non-Csounders too (I'm thinking things like web
instruments[4] or other music projects[5]).

[1] - https://github.com/kunstmusik/csound-live-code
[2] - https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/
[3] - https://www.pwabuilder.com/
[4] - https://instruments.kunstmusik.com
[5] - https://kunstmusik.github.io/csound-p5js

Re: [Csnd] [ANN] - live.csound.com now a PWA (Progressive Web Application)

Michael Gogins-2
That's pretty nice...

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to share that some experiments I did yesterday to make the
> web application part of csound-live-code[1], hosted at
> https://live.csound.com, into a Progressive Web Application (PWA [2]).
> This allows the site to be added to a computer or Android phone using
> "Add to Desktop" or "Add to Home Screen" from the browser and then
> function more like a regular application and work offline.  I have
> tested this with Desktop Chrome, Chrome on Android, and on Chrome OS.
> These installed the web site as an application on Windows 10, Android
> Phone, and Chromebook.
>
> The web app side still has some issues with icons and things and
> there's certainly more to tweak/fix.  However, I'm pretty encouraged
> by the results so far. I also found that the site used to work in Edge
> browser (or, at least I thought it did!) and will investigate that
> again.  If I can get it working again, I will look into packaging and
> submitting to the Microsoft App Store[3] as an AppX.
>
> While live.csound.com is a "Csound Exposed" kind of application, I
> think this kind of work can be really interesting for us to share our
> work with non-Csounders too (I'm thinking things like web
> instruments[4] or other music projects[5]).
>
> Thanks!
> steven
>
> [1] - https://github.com/kunstmusik/csound-live-code
> [2] - https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/
> [3] - https://www.pwabuilder.com/
> [4] - https://instruments.kunstmusik.com
> [5] - https://kunstmusik.github.io/csound-p5js

Re: [Csnd] [ANN] - live.csound.com now a PWA (Progressive Web Application)

rorywalsh
Great Steven. Just tried it and now I have cool little Csound app on my Android. I agree that it's a nice way of sharing things but I didn't find an add to desktop button in Chrome. I will look harder..

On 10 April 2018 at 15:52, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's pretty nice...

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to share that some experiments I did yesterday to make the
> web application part of csound-live-code[1], hosted at
> https://live.csound.com, into a Progressive Web Application (PWA [2]).
> This allows the site to be added to a computer or Android phone using
> "Add to Desktop" or "Add to Home Screen" from the browser and then
> function more like a regular application and work offline.  I have
> tested this with Desktop Chrome, Chrome on Android, and on Chrome OS.
> These installed the web site as an application on Windows 10, Android
> Phone, and Chromebook.
>
> The web app side still has some issues with icons and things and
> there's certainly more to tweak/fix.  However, I'm pretty encouraged
> by the results so far. I also found that the site used to work in Edge
> browser (or, at least I thought it did!) and will investigate that
> again.  If I can get it working again, I will look into packaging and
> submitting to the Microsoft App Store[3] as an AppX.
>
> While live.csound.com is a "Csound Exposed" kind of application, I
> think this kind of work can be really interesting for us to share our
> work with non-Csounders too (I'm thinking things like web
> instruments[4] or other music projects[5]).
>
> Thanks!
> steven
>
> [1] - https://github.com/kunstmusik/csound-live-code
> [2] - https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/
> [3] - https://www.pwabuilder.com/
> [4] - https://instruments.kunstmusik.com
> [5] - https://kunstmusik.github.io/csound-p5js

Re: [Csnd] [ANN] - live.csound.com now a PWA (Progressive Web Application)

Any idea whether this would work on iOS at some point?
Currently I can’t get WASM Csound to load.

> On 10 Apr 2018, at 14:48, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to share that some experiments I did yesterday to make the
> web application part of csound-live-code[1], hosted at
> https://live.csound.com, into a Progressive Web Application (PWA [2]).
> This allows the site to be added to a computer or Android phone using
> "Add to Desktop" or "Add to Home Screen" from the browser and then
> function more like a regular application and work offline.  I have
> tested this with Desktop Chrome, Chrome on Android, and on Chrome OS.
> These installed the web site as an application on Windows 10, Android
> Phone, and Chromebook.
>
> The web app side still has some issues with icons and things and
> there's certainly more to tweak/fix.  However, I'm pretty encouraged
> by the results so far. I also found that the site used to work in Edge
> browser (or, at least I thought it did!) and will investigate that
> again.  If I can get it working again, I will look into packaging and
> submitting to the Microsoft App Store[3] as an AppX.
>
> While live.csound.com is a "Csound Exposed" kind of application, I
> think this kind of work can be really interesting for us to share our
> work with non-Csounders too (I'm thinking things like web
> instruments[4] or other music projects[5]).
>
> Thanks!
> steven
>
> [1] - https://github.com/kunstmusik/csound-live-code
> [2] - https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/
> [3] - https://www.pwabuilder.com/
> [4] - https://instruments.kunstmusik.com
> [5] - https://kunstmusik.github.io/csound-p5js

Re: [Csnd] [ANN] - live.csound.com now a PWA (Progressive Web Application)

Thanks all!

For desktop, if you use the three dot menu on upper right (I don't
even know what it's called), then go to "More Tools", and then choose
"Add to Desktop..." it will add an entry.  On my Windows 10 computer,
it shows up in my windows menu as a "Recently added" application and
looks like any other installed app, which is nice. :)

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:00 AM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great Steven. Just tried it and now I have cool little Csound app on my
> Android. I agree that it's a nice way of sharing things but I didn't find an
> add to desktop button in Chrome. I will look harder..
>
> On 10 April 2018 at 15:52, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That's pretty nice...

>> Michael Gogins
>> Irreducible Productions
>> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
>> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I wanted to share that some experiments I did yesterday to make the
>> > web application part of csound-live-code[1], hosted at
>> > https://live.csound.com, into a Progressive Web Application (PWA [2]).
>> > This allows the site to be added to a computer or Android phone using
>> > "Add to Desktop" or "Add to Home Screen" from the browser and then
>> > function more like a regular application and work offline.  I have
>> > tested this with Desktop Chrome, Chrome on Android, and on Chrome OS.
>> > These installed the web site as an application on Windows 10, Android
>> > Phone, and Chromebook.
>> >
>> > The web app side still has some issues with icons and things and
>> > there's certainly more to tweak/fix.  However, I'm pretty encouraged
>> > by the results so far. I also found that the site used to work in Edge
>> > browser (or, at least I thought it did!) and will investigate that
>> > again.  If I can get it working again, I will look into packaging and
>> > submitting to the Microsoft App Store[3] as an AppX.
>> >
>> > While live.csound.com is a "Csound Exposed" kind of application, I
>> > think this kind of work can be really interesting for us to share our
>> > work with non-Csounders too (I'm thinking things like web
>> > instruments[4] or other music projects[5]).
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > steven
>> >
>> > [1] - https://github.com/kunstmusik/csound-live-code
>> > [2] - https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/
>> > [3] - https://www.pwabuilder.com/
>> > [4] - https://instruments.kunstmusik.com
>> > [5] - https://kunstmusik.github.io/csound-p5js
>> >
>> > Csound mailing list
>> > [hidden email]
>> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>> > Send bugs reports to
>> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] [ANN] - live.csound.com now a PWA (Progressive Web Application)

That's something I was really fighting with when I was looking at
AudioWorklet a few months ago and it turned out to not even be
worklet-related. I haven't been able to get web csound working on iOS
since 11.2.0 and I tried doing changes to construct the Web Audio
graph on touch as well as call .resume() on touch (to deal with the
autoplay changes Apple introduced.). I also tried asm.js instead of
WASM without any success.  I haven't been able to run other web audio
examples on iOS but it might be that the ones I tried are too old in
some way.  I keep thinking WebAudio is just messed up on iOS.  (BTW: I
*think* that the WASM loaded, but the web audio part didn't work, from
my last session debugging iPad Safari from my old Mac).

If anyone has managed to either get web Csound working on iOS or has
an example web audio application that works on iOS that I can look at,
please let me know.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:03 AM, Victor Lazzarini
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any idea whether this would work on iOS at some point?
> Currently I can’t get WASM Csound to load.
> ========================
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 10 Apr 2018, at 14:48, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I wanted to share that some experiments I did yesterday to make the
>> web application part of csound-live-code[1], hosted at
>> https://live.csound.com, into a Progressive Web Application (PWA [2]).
>> This allows the site to be added to a computer or Android phone using
>> "Add to Desktop" or "Add to Home Screen" from the browser and then
>> function more like a regular application and work offline.  I have
>> tested this with Desktop Chrome, Chrome on Android, and on Chrome OS.
>> These installed the web site as an application on Windows 10, Android
>> Phone, and Chromebook.
>>
>> The web app side still has some issues with icons and things and
>> there's certainly more to tweak/fix.  However, I'm pretty encouraged
>> by the results so far. I also found that the site used to work in Edge
>> browser (or, at least I thought it did!) and will investigate that
>> again.  If I can get it working again, I will look into packaging and
>> submitting to the Microsoft App Store[3] as an AppX.
>>
>> While live.csound.com is a "Csound Exposed" kind of application, I
>> think this kind of work can be really interesting for us to share our
>> work with non-Csounders too (I'm thinking things like web
>> instruments[4] or other music projects[5]).
>>
>> Thanks!
>> steven
>>
>> [1] - https://github.com/kunstmusik/csound-live-code
>> [2] - https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/
>> [3] - https://www.pwabuilder.com/
>> [4] - https://instruments.kunstmusik.com
>> [5] - https://kunstmusik.github.io/csound-p5js

Re: [Csnd] [ANN] - live.csound.com now a PWA (Progressive Web Application)

Victor Lazzarini-2
Would be good to check if any web audio apps work on iOS at all.

> [...]
>>> again.  If I can get it working again, I will look into packaging and
>>> submitting to the Microsoft App Store[3] as an AppX.
>>>
>>> While live.csound.com is a "Csound Exposed" kind of application, I
>>> think this kind of work can be really interesting for us to share our
>>> work with non-Csounders too (I'm thinking things like web
>>> instruments[4] or other music projects[5]).
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> steven
>>>
>>> [1] - https://github.com/kunstmusik/csound-live-code
>>> [2] - https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/
>>> [3] - https://www.pwabuilder.com/
>>> [4] - https://instruments.kunstmusik.com
>>> [5] - https://kunstmusik.github.io/csound-p5js
>>>
>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] [ANN] - live.csound.com now a PWA (Progressive Web Application)

Yes, that's what I mentioned, I haven't see any that have yet.  Just
re-tested with webaudiomodules.org and
http://webaudiodemos.appspot.com/TouchPad/index.html and neither
worked on iPad.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 4:03 PM, Victor Lazzarini
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would be good to check if any web audio apps work on iOS at all.
> ========================
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 10 Apr 2018, at 16:10, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That's something I was really fighting with when I was looking at
>> AudioWorklet a few months ago and it turned out to not even be
>> worklet-related. I haven't been able to get web csound working on iOS
>> since 11.2.0 and I tried doing changes to construct the Web Audio
>> graph on touch as well as call .resume() on touch (to deal with the
>> autoplay changes Apple introduced.). I also tried asm.js instead of
>> WASM without any success.  I haven't been able to run other web audio
>> examples on iOS but it might be that the ones I tried are too old in
>> some way.  I keep thinking WebAudio is just messed up on iOS.  (BTW: I
>> *think* that the WASM loaded, but the web audio part didn't work, from
>> my last session debugging iPad Safari from my old Mac).
>>
>> If anyone has managed to either get web Csound working on iOS or has
>> an example web audio application that works on iOS that I can look at,
>> please let me know.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:03 AM, Victor Lazzarini
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Any idea whether this would work on iOS at some point?
>>> Currently I can’t get WASM Csound to load.
>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] [ANN] - live.csound.com now a PWA (Progressive Web Application)

Victor Lazzarini-2
Interesting. I wonder if this is widely known.

> On 10 Apr 2018, at 21:55, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, that's what I mentioned, I haven't see any that have yet.  Just
> re-tested with webaudiomodules.org and
> http://webaudiodemos.appspot.com/TouchPad/index.html and neither
> worked on iPad.
>
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 4:03 PM, Victor Lazzarini
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Would be good to check if any web audio apps work on iOS at all.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 10 Apr 2018, at 16:10, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's something I was really fighting with when I was looking at
>>> AudioWorklet a few months ago and it turned out to not even be
>>> worklet-related. I haven't been able to get web csound working on iOS
>>> since 11.2.0 and I tried doing changes to construct the Web Audio
>>> graph on touch as well as call .resume() on touch (to deal with the
>>> autoplay changes Apple introduced.). I also tried asm.js instead of
>>> WASM without any success.  I haven't been able to run other web audio
>>> examples on iOS but it might be that the ones I tried are too old in
>>> some way.  I keep thinking WebAudio is just messed up on iOS.  (BTW: I
>>> *think* that the WASM loaded, but the web audio part didn't work, from
>>> my last session debugging iPad Safari from my old Mac).
>>>
>>> If anyone has managed to either get web Csound working on iOS or has
>>> an example web audio application that works on iOS that I can look at,
>>> please let me know.

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] [ANN] - live.csound.com now a PWA (Progressive Web Application)

Victor Lazzarini-2
Well, it must work somehow. This blog seems to indicate that they do

https://hackernoon.com/unlocking-web-audio-the-smarter-way-8858218c0e09

> On 10 Apr 2018, at 21:59, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interesting. I wonder if this is widely known.
> ========================
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 10 Apr 2018, at 21:55, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, that's what I mentioned, I haven't see any that have yet.  Just
>> re-tested with webaudiomodules.org and
>> http://webaudiodemos.appspot.com/TouchPad/index.html and neither
>> worked on iPad.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 4:03 PM, Victor Lazzarini
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Would be good to check if any web audio apps work on iOS at all.
>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] [ANN] - live.csound.com now a PWA (Progressive Web Application)

Steven Yi
That site doesn't work on my iPad. (I tried all manner of resuming the
context on user interaction already... :( )