[Csnd] ANN: csoundapi~ for PD

Victor Lazzarini
ANNOUNCEMENT:

csoundapi~ 1.0  for Pure Data

This is a new PD class using the csound API & library, similar to Matt Ingall's
csound~ class for MAX/MSP.

- multiplatform: linux, OS X and windows
- compatible with versions 4.23 and 5 of the csound library
- providing:
- full score performances
- score event triggering (i,f, and e statements)
- control IO with the invalue and outvalue opcodes
- score resetting (rewinding)

- soon-to-be-implemented features:
   i) MIDI IO
   ii) multiple instances: at the moment multiple csoundapi~
      objects with libcsound 5 can be created cleanly, but they
      do not  generate audio simultaneously. It is hoped that this
      will be fixed in the near future.
      (multiple instances, resetting and score re-opening are
         not possible with 4.23)
   iii) score offset: implemented but not properly tested.

csoundapi~ is an alternative to the exiting PD csound~, providing more IO
options,
and implemented through the API. It also  finally offers csound-PD
integration on
Windows.

Where to get it?

1. www.nuim.ie/academic/music/musictec/csound/
     Windows binary (csound.lib 4.23), examples and
     multiplatform source code

2 cvs.sourceforge.net
     csoundapi~ is now part of the csound 5 frontends package and
     it can be built on Linux and OSX using scons

Windows csoundapi~ with libcsound 5 are in the pipeline.

Victor Lazzarini
Music Technology Laboratory
Music Department
National University of Ireland, Maynooth

--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: ANN: csoundapi~ for PD

Martin Peach
Um is csoundapi~ a PD external? In the absence of any documentation or
help files, on WindowsXP I extracted
http://www.nuim.ie/academic/music/musictec/csound/csoundapi.zip, copied
csoundapi_tilde.dll into C:\Program Files\Pure Data\extra and fired up
Pure Data. Then I put an object csoundapi~ into a patcher window.
Result: "couldn't create". Same with csoundapi_tilde. Anyone else tried
this? Have I got it all wrong? I'll try it on linux next and see what
happens there.

Martin

Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> ANNOUNCEMENT:
>
> csoundapi~ 1.0  for Pure Data
>
> This is a new PD class using the csound API & library, similar to Matt
> Ingall's
> csound~ class for MAX/MSP.
>
> - multiplatform: linux, OS X and windows
> - compatible with versions 4.23 and 5 of the csound library
> - providing:
> - full score performances
> - score event triggering (i,f, and e statements)
> - control IO with the invalue and outvalue opcodes
> - score resetting (rewinding)
>
> - soon-to-be-implemented features:
>   i) MIDI IO
>   ii) multiple instances: at the moment multiple csoundapi~
>      objects with libcsound 5 can be created cleanly, but they
>      do not  generate audio simultaneously. It is hoped that this
>      will be fixed in the near future.
>      (multiple instances, resetting and score re-opening are
>         not possible with 4.23)
>   iii) score offset: implemented but not properly tested.
>

> csoundapi~ is an alternative to the exiting PD csound~, providing more
> IO options,
> and implemented through the API. It also  finally offers csound-PD
> integration on
> Windows.
>
> Where to get it?
>
> 1. www.nuim.ie/academic/music/musictec/csound/
>     Windows binary (csound.lib 4.23), examples and
>     multiplatform source code
>
> 2 cvs.sourceforge.net
>     csoundapi~ is now part of the csound 5 frontends package and
>     it can be built on Linux and OSX using scons
>
> Windows csoundapi~ with libcsound 5 are in the pipeline.
>

> Victor Lazzarini
> Music Technology Laboratory
> Music Department
> National University of Ireland, Maynooth

--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: ANN: csoundapi~ for PD

It's an external.

I have just realised that I did not put the csoundapi.pd
example patch in the package, but a second csd!

You create it with the number of inlets/outlets
as a single argument or
with the orchestra and score files or csd file as the
argument (make sure you give the right path to
them

csoundapi~ csapi_demo.csd

or

csoundapi~ 2

You can get the example patch from csound CVS

/csound5/examples/csoundapi_tilde/csoundapi.pd

and the csd csapi_demo.csd

I'll fix the zip file on Monday. Thanks for letting me
know.

Victor

,

> copied  csoundapi_tilde.dll into C:\Program Files\Pure
> Data\extra and fired up  Pure Data. Then I put an object
> csoundapi~ into a patcher window.  Result: "couldn't
> create". Same with csoundapi_tilde. Anyone else tried
> this? Have I got it all wrong? I'll try it on linux next
> and see what  happens there.
>
> Martin
>

> Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>
> > ANNOUNCEMENT:
> >
> > csoundapi~ 1.0  for Pure Data
> >
> > This is a new PD class using the csound API & library,
> > similar to Matt  Ingall's
> > csound~ class for MAX/MSP.
> >
> > - multiplatform: linux, OS X and windows
> > - compatible with versions 4.23 and 5 of the csound
> > library - providing:
> > - full score performances
> > - score event triggering (i,f, and e statements)
> > - control IO with the invalue and outvalue opcodes
> > - score resetting (rewinding)
> >
> > - soon-to-be-implemented features:
> >   i) MIDI IO
> >   ii) multiple instances: at the moment multiple
> >      csoundapi~ objects with libcsound 5 can be created
> >      cleanly, but they do not  generate audio
> >      simultaneously. It is hoped that this will be fixed
> >      in the near future. (multiple instances, resetting
> >         and score re-opening are not possible with 4.23)
> >   iii) score offset: implemented but not properly
> tested. >
> >
> > csoundapi~ is an alternative to the exiting PD csound~,
> > providing more  IO options,
> > and implemented through the API. It also  finally offers
> > csound-PD  integration on
> > Windows.
> >
> > Where to get it?
> >
> > 1. www.nuim.ie/academic/music/musictec/csound/
> >     Windows binary (csound.lib 4.23), examples and
> >     multiplatform source code
> >
> > 2 cvs.sourceforge.net
> >     csoundapi~ is now part of the csound 5 frontends
> >     package and it can be built on Linux and OSX using
> scons >
> > Windows csoundapi~ with libcsound 5 are in the pipeline.
> >

> > Victor Lazzarini
> > Music Technology Laboratory
> > Music Department
> > National University of Ireland, Maynooth
>

> --
> Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
>               (or to

Re: ANN: csoundapi~ for PD

At the moment, only realtime, as I am opening
csound with -n flag; otherwise any other
csound command line option can be passed to
csoundapi~.

I'll take that out in later versions.

Victor

> real-time only or file rendering as well?
>
> On Fri, 13 May 2005, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>
> > Thanks. First, I would like to see if I can get csound 5
> > to perform better on OSX, I'm a bit miffed by how slow
> > it is compared to Maccsound. Has anyone got any clues?
> >
> > Victor
> >
> > At 11:12 13/05/2005, you wrote:
> >> WOW!
> >>
> >> Victor - you are amazing!
> >>
> >> In addition to all your fantastic UDOs, and your
> amazing set of pvdemix >> stuff, your tutorials, and all
> the other work you have been sharing with  >> the
> >> list...
> >>
> >> WOW.... And... "thanks for all the fish"
> >>
> >> Dr. B.
> >>
> >> PS... Do you think you could get CsoundVST to work on
> the Mac next?  :-) >>
> >>
> >> on 5/12/05 5:54 AM, Victor Lazzarini at

> , similar to Matt >> > Ingall's

> library >> > - providing:

> csoundapi~ >> >     objects with libcsound 5 can be
> created cleanly, but they >> >     do not  generate audio
> simultaneously. It is hoped that this >> >     will be
> fixed in the near future. >> >     (multiple instances,
> resetting and score re-opening are >> >        not
> possible with 4.23) >> >  iii) score offset: implemented
> but not properly tested. >> >

> csound~, providing more  >> IO
> offers csound-PD >> > integration on

> package and >> >    it can be built on Linux and OSX using
> scons >> >
> pipeline. >> >

___
> _____________ >>  +  Dr. Richard Boulanger, Professor
> >>  +  Music Synthesis Department, Berklee College of
> Music >>  +  1140 Boylston Street  - Boston, MA
> 02215-3693 >>  +  Office Phone: (617) 747-2485   Office
> Fax: (617) 747-2564 >>  +  eMail: [hidden email]
> >>  +  WebPage: http://csounds.com/boulanger/

___
> ______________ >>  +  Almost Everything Csound @
> http://csounds.com/ >>  +  The Csound Instrument Catalog @
> http://csounds.com/catalog/ >>  +  The Csound Book @
> http://csounds.com/book/ >>  +  The Csound Magazine @
> http://csounds.com/ezine/ >>

> [hidden email] >
> > Victor Lazzarini
> > Music Technology Laboratory
> > Music Department
> > National University of Ireland, Maynooth
> > --
> > Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
> >             (or to

Re: ANN: csoundapi~ for PD

Btw, strange that you could not create the object, as
it will also construct without any arguments.

In my systems I always start PD with -lib as in

pd -lib csoundapi_tilde

If the library is loaded then you will see a message

csoundapi~ 1.0
 A PD csound class using the Csound 5.00 API
(c) V Lazzarini, 2005

(5.00 if you have built with cs 5 lib, but in the
windows binary you'll  get a 4.23)

Victor