[Csnd] ANN: Reflections

Steven Yi
Hi All,

I'm happy to announce the release of a new piece, Reflections. Project
files, MP3/OGG/FLAC renderings, and information is available at:

http://kunstmusik.com/2017/09/01/reflections/

The pieces arose out of exploring an idea I had for randomly
generating wave tables by making them odd/even (i.e. reflected, half-
or quarter-symmetric).  The UDO file contains a few different
strategies I took, some modeled on classic waveforms and others more
exotic.

These pieces were written using Csound and Vim, mostly done while live
coding. The CSDs have some indeterminacy so rendering them live yields
unique results. The piece requires Csound 6.09 to render.

Thanks and enjoy!

Re: [Csnd] ANN: Reflections

Victor Lazzarini-2
great stuff, well done.

> On 2 Sep 2017, at 02:36, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm happy to announce the release of a new piece, Reflections. Project
> files, MP3/OGG/FLAC renderings, and information is available at:
>
> http://kunstmusik.com/2017/09/01/reflections/
>
> The pieces arose out of exploring an idea I had for randomly
> generating wave tables by making them odd/even (i.e. reflected, half-
> or quarter-symmetric).  The UDO file contains a few different
> strategies I took, some modeled on classic waveforms and others more
> exotic.
>
> These pieces were written using Csound and Vim, mostly done while live
> coding. The CSDs have some indeterminacy so rendering them live yields
> unique results. The piece requires Csound 6.09 to render.
>
> Thanks and enjoy!
> steven

Re: [Csnd] ANN: Reflections

Just a small comment; why not use the
<CsVersion>
6.09
</CsVerson>

or similar
<CsVersion>
Afer 6.08
</CsVerson>

Or does it not work?

On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 6:42 AM, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> great stuff, well done.
> ========================
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 2 Sep 2017, at 02:36, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm happy to announce the release of a new piece, Reflections. Project
>> files, MP3/OGG/FLAC renderings, and information is available at:
>>
>> http://kunstmusik.com/2017/09/01/reflections/
>>
>> The pieces arose out of exploring an idea I had for randomly
>> generating wave tables by making them odd/even (i.e. reflected, half-
>> or quarter-symmetric).  The UDO file contains a few different
>> strategies I took, some modeled on classic waveforms and others more
>> exotic.
>>
>> These pieces were written using Csound and Vim, mostly done while live
>> coding. The CSDs have some indeterminacy so rendering them live yields
>> unique results. The piece requires Csound 6.09 to render.
>>
>> Thanks and enjoy!
>> steven

Re: [Csnd] ANN: Reflections

I think I just rarely think to use the CsVersion tag.  I went ahead
and updated the CSD files in the project zip with the tag and 6.09 as
a min version. Thanks for the suggestion!

On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 8:47 AM, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a small comment; why not use the
> <CsVersion>
> 6.09
> </CsVerson>
>
> or similar
> <CsVersion>
> Afer 6.08
> </CsVerson>
>
> Or does it not work?
>
> On Fri, 1 Sep 2017, Steven Yi wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm happy to announce the release of a new piece, Reflections. Project
>> files, MP3/OGG/FLAC renderings, and information is available at:
>>
>> http://kunstmusik.com/2017/09/01/reflections/

>> These pieces were written using Csound and Vim, mostly done while live
>> coding. The CSDs have some indeterminacy so rendering them live yields
>> unique results. The piece requires Csound 6.09 to render.

Re: [Csnd] ANN: Reflections

Doctor B
Wonderful and inspiring work Steven.  Thanks so much for sharing.

-dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor of Electronic Production and Design
Professional Writing and Music Technology Division
Berklee College of Music
President of Boulanger Labs - http://boulangerlabs.com
Author & Editor of The Csound Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/csound-book
Author & Editor of The Audio Programming Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/audio-programming-book
about:
http://www.boulangerlabs.com/#about
about: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/
music: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/dr-richard-boulanger-music/

email: [hidden email]
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/richard.boulanger.58

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 9:36 PM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm happy to announce the release of a new piece, Reflections. Project
files, MP3/OGG/FLAC renderings, and information is available at:

http://kunstmusik.com/2017/09/01/reflections/

The pieces arose out of exploring an idea I had for randomly
generating wave tables by making them odd/even (i.e. reflected, half-
or quarter-symmetric).  The UDO file contains a few different
strategies I took, some modeled on classic waveforms and others more
exotic.

These pieces were written using Csound and Vim, mostly done while live
coding. The CSDs have some indeterminacy so rendering them live yields
unique results. The piece requires Csound 6.09 to render.

Thanks and enjoy!

Re: [Csnd] ANN: Reflections

AndreaS
Thank you for this advanced and essential code.
I appreciate the existential flavor of this little triptych.
All the best
Andrea S.

>I think I just rarely think to use the CsVersion tag.  I went ahead
> and updated the CSD files in the project zip with the tag and 6.09 as
> a min version. Thanks for the suggestion!
>
> On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 8:47 AM, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just a small comment; why not use the
>> <CsVersion>
>> 6.09
>> </CsVerson>
>>
>> or similar
>> <CsVersion>
>> Afer 6.08
>> </CsVerson>
>>
>> Or does it not work?
>>
>> On Fri, 1 Sep 2017, Steven Yi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm happy to announce the release of a new piece, Reflections. Project
>>> files, MP3/OGG/FLAC renderings, and information is available at:
>>>
>>> http://kunstmusik.com/2017/09/01/reflections/

>>> These pieces were written using Csound and Vim, mostly done while live
>>> coding. The CSDs have some indeterminacy so rendering them live yields
>>> unique results. The piece requires Csound 6.09 to render.

---

[Csnd] Cabbage32 and WindowsXp

AndreaS

Hi Rory,
I downloaded Cabbage32 from:

v1.1.05 (updated 6th Nov 16)

Windows 32bit (includes Csound 6.08)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q4dhxw4d5rdk5v/Cabbage32Setup.exe?dl=0

I installed Cabbage32 on Windows Xp and I receive a similar message:
impossible to locate a component: MSVCP140D.dll.
I installed all Visual Studio Redistibutable (see attached .jpg), but I always get the same message.
Do you have a suggestion?
Cheers
Andrea S.

Avast logo

Microsoft Visual C++.JPG (42K) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] ANN: Reflections

Iain McCurdy

These are very delicate and beautiful and I find they work very well together as a set. Will you be playing them/performing them live in Montevideo?

Thanks for sharing,

Iain

Re: [Csnd] ANN: Reflections

luis jure
el 2017-09-03 a las 15:08 Iain McCurdy escribió:

> Will you be playing them/performing them live in Montevideo?

i hope he will! he has already been invited to do so...

Re: [Csnd] ANN: Reflections

Steven Yi
Thanks Dr. B, Andrea, Iain, and Luis!

I think I will take up the invitation to do a live performance. I have
some ideas that would continue to use the synthesis method in
Reflections that might work the performance, but if those don't pan
out, then performing Reflections would be a very nice experience too.

Thanks again!
steven

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 12:25 PM, luis jure <[hidden email]> wrote:

> el 2017-09-03 a las 15:08 Iain McCurdy escribió:
>
>> Will you be playing them/performing them live in Montevideo?
>
> i hope he will! he has already been invited to do so...

Re: [Csnd] ANN: Reflections

luis jure
as host of the icsc2017 i'm very glad that steven confirmed that he'll be
performing during the conference.

actually, i'm programming some time slots for live performances in
addition to the evening concerts. i think we could accommodate one or two
more performances, on a separate email i'll call for proposals.

Re: [Csnd] Cabbage32 and WindowsXp

AndreaS

Hi Rory, thanks for replying.

In Cabbage forum:

http://forum.cabbageaudio.com/t/help-missing-msvcp140d-dll-libwinpthread-1-dll-cannot-running-cabbage-on-win-7-32/435/5

you attaches two zip files.

I think that one zip it's wrong: msvcp140d.dll, not msvcp140.dll.

I downloaded and copy msvcp140d.dll, but a message warns that it is missing vcruntime140.dll

I downloaded it, but a message warns that it is missing ucrtbased.dll

I downloaded it but a message warns that is missing entry point __vcrt_cleanup_type_info_names etc

Michael Gogins very kindly  informs:

"Built with debug. The debug dlls can't be redistributed. Need to be built
for release".

This sentence seems quite mysterious with my knowledge.

You are the only releases author of Cabbage, no?

If there is not a solution for this release, do you have a precedent release working in Windows Xp?

I use Cabbage 64 with my desktop PC, very good.

I would use Cabbage also with my laptop, if possible.

Cheers

Andrea S.

Il 04/09/2017 18:53, Rory Walsh ha scritto:
[...]

gsenna
I found these two old Cabbage installers. One comes with Csound while
the other does not.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3HppEiCAar1RTU4WWo0cEdaLW8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3HppEiCAar1bDJ2MjNzMlZVS3c/view?usp=sharing

On 04/09/17 17:18, Andrea Strappa wrote:

> [...]
>>     but hopefully you can get it running.
>>
>>     On 3 September 2017 at 09:42, Andrea Strappa <[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>         Hi Rory,
>>         I downloaded Cabbage32 from:
>>
>> http://forum.cabbageaudio.com/t/latest-beta-packages-available-here-new-release/114
>>
>> <http://forum.cabbageaudio.com/t/latest-beta-packages-available-here-new-release/114>
>>

>>             v1.1.05 (updated 6th Nov 16)
>>
>>         *Windows 32bit (includes Csound 6.08)*
>>
>> */https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q4dhxw4d5rdk5v/Cabbage32Setup.exe?dl=0
>>
>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q4dhxw4d5rdk5v/Cabbage32Setup.exe?dl=0>/*
>>
>>         I installed Cabbage32 on Windows Xp and I receive a similar
>>         message:
>>         impossible to locate a component: MSVCP140D.dll.
>>         I installed all Visual Studio Redistibutable (see attached
>>         .jpg), but I always get the same message.

Ok! This run.

Thanks Guillermo, and thanks Rory, of course, for your excellent software.

Andrea S.