[Csnd] A small instrument and an exitnow/turnoff question

[Csnd] A small instrument and an exitnow/turnoff question

Jeanette C.
Hey hey,
in my work I needed to tool to scrub through long field recordings to cut
smaller samples. In the end I decided to offer this little CSD for your
benefit:
http://juliencoder.de/sample_scrub.csd
It comes with a simple interface using sensekey, so it works in the terminal.
You need to fill f1 (down in the score) with your sample file of choice.

The problem I encountered: I can stop the instrument using either turnoff or
turnoff2, but I can't make Csound quit. I tried using exitnow, but in which
ever context I tried it, Csound would exit as soon as it started.

At first I tried it directly in my instrument inside an if-condition. Then I
tried writing it into a second instrument, triggering that with event_i, but
no success. Csound always immediately quit. Is that what it should do?

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I'm so curious, what do you think of me <3
(Britney Spears)

Re: [Csnd] A small instrument and an exitnow/turnoff question

joachim-3
what happens when you trigger it with event (inside an if-condition)
rather than event_i?
i think this should work.

you can also try to send an "e" event (= end of score).

best -
        joachim

On 02/10/18 16:05, Jeanette C. wrote:

> Hey hey,
> in my work I needed to tool to scrub through long field recordings to
> cut smaller samples. In the end I decided to offer this little CSD for
> your benefit:
> http://juliencoder.de/sample_scrub.csd
> It comes with a simple interface using sensekey, so it works in the
> terminal. You need to fill f1 (down in the score) with your sample file
> of choice.
>
> The problem I encountered: I can stop the instrument using either
> turnoff or turnoff2, but I can't make Csound quit. I tried using
> exitnow, but in which ever context I tried it, Csound would exit as soon
> as it started.
>
> At first I tried it directly in my instrument inside an if-condition.
> Then I tried writing it into a second instrument, triggering that with
> event_i, but no success. Csound always immediately quit. Is that what it
> should do?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette

Re: [Csnd] A small instrument and an exitnow/turnoff question

Jeanette C.
Oct 2 2018, joachim heintz has written:

> what happens when you trigger it with event (inside an if-condition) rather
> than event_i?
> i think this should work.
Thanks, I used event and send an "e" statement.

Best wishes,

Jeanette
>> http://juliencoder.de/sample_scrub.csd

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I'm so curious, what do you think of me <3
(Britney Spears)

Re: [Csnd] A small instrument and an exitnow/turnoff question

genell
Brilliant! Thank you Jeanette!
I'd suggest using a score macro to read the input filename from command line using the --smacro flag, so that tab completion may be applied for long and complex fie names.

Best regards,
Anders

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 4:24 PM joachim heintz <[hidden email]> wrote:
what happens when you trigger it with event (inside an if-condition)
rather than event_i?
i think this should work.

you can also try to send an "e" event (= end of score).

best -
        joachim

On 02/10/18 16:05, Jeanette C. wrote:
> Hey hey,
> in my work I needed to tool to scrub through long field recordings to
> cut smaller samples. In the end I decided to offer this little CSD for
> your benefit:
> http://juliencoder.de/sample_scrub.csd
> It comes with a simple interface using sensekey, so it works in the
> terminal. You need to fill f1 (down in the score) with your sample file
> of choice.
>
> The problem I encountered: I can stop the instrument using either
> turnoff or turnoff2, but I can't make Csound quit. I tried using
> exitnow, but in which ever context I tried it, Csound would exit as soon
> as it started.
>
> At first I tried it directly in my instrument inside an if-condition.
> Then I tried writing it into a second instrument, triggering that with
> event_i, but no success. Csound always immediately quit. Is that what it
> should do?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette

Re: [Csnd] A small instrument and an exitnow/turnoff question

Jeanette C.
Oct 2 2018, Anders Genell has written:

> Brilliant! Thank you Jeanette!
> I'd suggest using a score macro to read the input filename from command
> line using the --smacro flag, so that tab completion may be applied for
> long and complex fie names.
I've never worked with these. I'll look into the manual, if you know a
good example of that kind of thing, please do let me know. :)

Best wishes,

jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

You know I'm one of a kind,
There'll never be another me <3
(Britney Spears)

Re: [Csnd] A small instrument and an exitnow/turnoff question

genell
Well, I don’t know if there is an official manual example. I’ve used it to iterate comparisons between measured sound and synthesized (Csound) sound in GNU Octave, calling Csound using the system() function in Octave and applying input parameters and output filenames through orchestra macros.

I haven’t used score macros but I assume they work in a similar fashion so instead of
f1 0 0 1 "file.wav" 0 0 0
it would be something like
f1 0 0 1 $fname 0 0 0
and the when calling from terminal you would add a flag like
—smacro:fname=“filename.wav”

Regards,
Anders